Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If you could do femur lengthening with an internal device of your choice, which would it be?

Betzbone
- 4 (6.3%)
Bliskunov
- 1 (1.6%)
Fitbone
- 6 (9.5%)
Guichet Nail
- 24 (38.1%)
HLN (Hydraulic Lengthening Nail)
- 3 (4.8%)
ISKD (Intramedullary Skeletal Kinetic Distractor)
- 1 (1.6%)
Precice/Precice 2
- 24 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which internal nail do you like best?  (Read 15708 times)

ShortyMcShort

Re: Which internal nail do you like best?
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »

Great news Kilo and do keep us updated about the new nail and your lengthening/recovery

syekhandone

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »

@ Taller;
You said; "you never heard G Nail broken"
You are correct about that. But you must realize that, even if the Nail is not broken, in some patients of Dr. G, broken bone is happened.
Please read Jay's Diary (perhaps you can find in old forum). Jay is one of the Dr. G Patient that experienced bone broken ....and strangely enough that bone just happen to be broken without any accident happen...for more detail you may read on the page 10 of his diary.
Based on this fact, we must also consider the strength of the bone...not just merely a nail itself.
Cheers.

galaxy1

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »

Taller, you don't have to answer this if you don't care to but why did you do away with "Tall", the name that you really liked so much and now changed to "Taller?" No big deal, just curious. :)

Taller

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »

I ditched "Tall" in order to avoid confusion with a well-known CLL patient who goes by the same name on another LL forum. I'm not really "tall" at the moment either, just taller than most CLL patients, although still not six feet or anything. I'm here to get taller, so te new username is pretty telling and fitting.

My first surgery will get me to six feet. If my height neurosis isn't gone, and if I'm willing to do it a second time after having felt the reality of LL, then I'll do a second one to reach 6'2. Since this is my father's height, I am pretty sure that height neurosis will vanish forever at 6'2 if it hasn't already at 6'0.

TRS

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 12:06:11 PM »

So Dr Parihar told me a bit about the recent ASAMI conference that took place in Goa. As far as internal nails go, he didn't see Guichet and didn't speak to him about his nail. However, he did see Dr Baumgart and spoke with him and some Fitbone reps about being able to use Fitbone at his hospital. Apparently they hadn't ever considered India before but they are not averse to using it so that could possibly be another internal option under Dr Parihar later.
The introduction of Fitbone into India will provide more range but I don't see the advantage since PRECICE is already available. Both are very similar nails and I don't see why patients would choose Fitbone over PRECICE2 when PRECICE allows more weight bearing plus the retraction feature. If Dr.Parihar can get the right to the Albizzia or the Gnail then he would have great advantage by providing both weight bearing and non-weight bearing nail at a cheaper cost.
Dr.Birkholtz was also interested in acquiring the Fitbone since he believes that PRECICE and Fitbone are the best nails in the market due to their non twist and shout method of distraction. But he was quite uncomfortable with the Fitbone because it would require him to send his first 20-30 Fitbone cases over to Dr.Rainer Baumgart and the Wittenstein group, meaning lack of patient confidentiality.
Most interesting is that Dr Parihar spoke to a team of engineers from Finland that's currently developing a new internal nail. He was fond of the nail's specifics and he talked to the team about how manufacturing it in India is a good option. He said they seem reasonable about manufacturing costs and that it would certainly be cheaper than the current internal nails that are available elsewhere. Dr Parihar is going to send me a link about the nail later so I'll have more info about it. But for sure Dr Parihar is in the process of adding internal options in addition to the Precice.

This sounds very promising!!!     

TRS

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »

I've got some news regarding internal nails.
Dr.Birkholtz is in the process of developing a new internal nail but it will take several years.
He says the internal nails in the market are overpriced and a gamble, therefore wants to release a more affordable and reliable nail.

YellowSpike

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 12:40:15 PM »

I've got some news regarding internal nails.
Dr.Birkholtz is in the process of developing a new internal nail but it will take several years.
He says the internal nails in the market are overpriced and a gamble, therefore wants to release a more affordable and reliable nail.

It's about f-ing time. I think there's a lot of untapped market potential in LL if only the cost were somewhat more reasonable (for the good doctors and internals, that is).

spaller2015

• Newbi
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 09:59:44 PM »

you can have problems with all nails but i have been told that the betzbone, the fitbone and the gnail are for different reasons a bad deal and a gamble. they fail because3 the system fails or the bone breaks. the problem is that there is no better deal for internal nails.

maximize

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »

Lots of internal lengthening devices to choose from. Which sounds best to you?

I'm still debating between the Guichet and the Fitbone for antegrade internal femorals.

Benefits of Guichet:
- More rapidly weightbearing.
- Studies that Guichet has published of his patients have had minimal/insignificant axis deviation with it (for unclear reasons).

Benefits of Fitbone:
- No clicking which makes it easier and also theoretically by not continually disrupting the callus could lead to faster bone formation.
- All Fitbone doctors use the Reverse Planning Method for axis control.

Not sure what I will end up picking in the end.

Also for people who talk about the unreliability of the Fitbone, keep in mind it has gone through multiple generations and revisions (just like Precise), so anecdoctal reports of a nail of either variety failing 5-10 years ago may not have any relevance to the currently available devices.

maximize

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »

It would be nice, but I highly doubt Guichet would authorize the use of his proprietary nail in a country where the overall cost will be far less, as he must realize doing so would take away a lot of his own business.

The only reasons he would do it is if:
  • He's so busy he can't keep up with the demand for G-Nail surgery by himself
  • He knows of a reliable, good, qualified surgeon overseas to license to who won't butcher patients and ruin his credibility

If those two conditions are met, he has everything to gain from licensing and nothing to lose.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up