Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SHOULD I KEEP NAILS INSIDE MY TIBIA TO AVOID TRAUMA FROM LOAN?  (Read 6063 times)

Greek-Semidget

SHOULD I KEEP NAILS INSIDE MY TIBIA TO AVOID TRAUMA FROM LOAN?
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »

Any arguments guys? :)
Current height 5'8 Future height: 5'11 . 3 inch gain tibias in Russia.

Greek-Semidget

Re: SHOULD I KEEP NAILS INSIDE MY TIBIA TO AVOID TRAUMA FROM LOAN?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »

Any arguments guys? :)
Lon, my bad, and yeah I wanna settle on a method.

G-Man

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:51:08 PM »

Well, you will have trauma from nail insertion as well so better do externals only if you can.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:41:06 PM »

I don't think it's clever to keep them forever in your bones. Just take them out when the bone is fully consolidated.

Also if you want to avoid trauma from the nail I think you should not insert one at all because the insertion causes the trauma, not the removal...

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 12:33:08 PM »

You are right,so pure externals is the best bet....but a lot of time in frames

TRS

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »

You are right,so pure externals is the best bet....but a lot of time in frames
If you are considering externals on femur then LON is a good idea. Nail insertion via ante grade nailing(through the hips) has the lowest chance of permanent knee pain. But if it's tibias then pure externals will be a good idea provided you lengthen upto 6cm. Above 6cm, then the time in externals will be too much to cope IMHO. But it's true that external is probably the best and the least invasive LL method. And also the most reliable since you do not have to worry about nail/mechanical failure and spend a fortune for a replacement. 

GeTs

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »

If you are considering externals on femur then LON is a good idea. Nail insertion via ante grade nailing(through the hips) has the lowest chance of permanent knee pain. But if it's tibias then pure externals will be a good idea provided you lengthen upto 6cm. Above 6cm, then the time in externals will be too much to cope IMHO. But it's true that external is probably the best and the least invasive LL method. And also the most reliable since you do not have to worry about nail/mechanical failure and spend a fortune for a replacement.
i'm still shocked how people prefer comfort to a great outcome

TRS

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »

Generally comfort leads to great outcome. When a patient is in great discomfort and pain then chances are they would not cooperate with their doctors recommendations and also lose motivation to do daily stretches+physio.
I really can't imagine one doing pure externals on their femurs and lengthen past 5cm. There is this guy in the clinic doing unilateral external femur. He still hasn't lengthened past 4cm and his ROM is below 40 degrees :o Now imagine being in that situation for more than 6-7 months with frames on both femurs.
So it is imperative to consider comfort during LL.

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

Its not only comfort, but returning to work and relatives after 6 months with 2 bulky frames on your legs is not always the best. But I am much more a fan of pure external anyway, because its better to think that you broke your bones and pin them in 2-3 areas of the legs, rather than inserting and excerting nails from knee...yiaaaaakkkk :p too dangerous too.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9917642

Abstract

Intramedullary nailing has revolutionized the treatment of fractures. It is important to be aware of the biological and mechanical effects of reaming and nailing on bone. Most nails are substantially stiffer than bone, but because of their location in the medullary canal do not have nearly as adverse an effect on callus strength as plates. Reaming and nailing embolizes marrow contents into the systemic circulation and reduces blood flow to the total bone and cortex by 30% to 80%. This results in a hyperemic reaction that revascularizes the cortex depending on the type of nail used. Preservation of the soft tissue envelope around the fracture enhances this response resulting in fracture healing ratio of 98% when closed nailing techniques are used. The primary advantage of nonreamed nailing is better preservation of the blood supply to the cortex whereas the major advantage of reamed nailing is a more rigid construction, stronger implants, and earlier fracture union

there could possibly be a reduced blood flow for the duration of the nail being inserted.

Sweden

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 05:42:44 AM »

LON on femurs is never a good idea.

Many people have the IMnail in their legs forever.

And it causes great trauma to have them removed.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »

leg lengthening in general causes great trauma.

more surgeries will always cause increased trauma.

but relatively speaking placing an intramedullary nail is no more dangerous than taking it out. its basically the same procedure but in reverse.

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »

LON on femurs is never a good idea.

Many people have the IMnail in their legs forever.

And it causes great trauma to have them removed.
as for you Sweden I hope you never come close to a big magnet it will be trouble!!! :3

Sweden

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 05:06:14 PM »

You're an idiot. I've already done magnetic x-Ray.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »

I think greek smidget was joking Sweden lol

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 06:32:10 PM »

I will most likely keep mine in. It gives me a sense of being bionic and I feel a synergistic effect of the titanium in stabilizing my bone. It'll also be cool to let the people who get to view my skeleton wonder why they were there.

http://www.supraalloys.com/medical-titanium.php
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Greek-Semidget

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »

You're an idiot. I've already done magnetic x-Ray.
I was joking, chill out :o I am sorry if I offended you :/

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »

discussion section of study:
"The presence of the implant in the medullary canal has also been considered to be the source of anterior knee pain. Bending of the femur during athletic activities is part of the normal elastic behavior of the leg and an intramedullary nail may interfere with this"

http://www.bjj.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/88-B/5/576

someone tell Sweden. :)

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »

tibia LON. knee pain.

is worse for women.

"Gender- and age-related differences have also been given some consideration. Vaisto et al12 noted that women were more symptomatic than men and had a longer hospital stay after tibial nailing. The reason is unknown but anthropometric and anatomical differences were suggested as causative factors.12"

AtlasSearching

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »

One thing to consider is that if you leave the nail inside the bone, it could cause severe tissue damage if you had an accident that caused the tibia to break. You also don't feel quite right while the nail and screws are still in place. I had the 13mm BetzBone in my femurs for 1.5 years after consolidation, and I could always feel, it espcially when jogging. Tibia would probably be different but the sensation remains as long as the nail is in. Remember also that the nail occupies space that would otherwise be used to store yellow bone marrow which serves an important function in the body.

If you are considering external fixation, I would advice that you visit a doc that does the procedure and ask to see some of the patients who have completed lengthenining or at least see pics of their legs. The scars are hideous! When I was getting my femur nails removed,  there was a guy doing a consultation to lengthen his femur. He had done external fixation on his tibias and while he was happy with the height gain, the scars basically made him never to want to show his lower legs in public. External is cheaper for sure, but there is a price to be paid for the rest of your life due to the scars.
173.5cm to 184 cm with Dr. Betz in 2012
13mm BetzBone
Nail removal in October 2014

Wannabegiant

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 03:27:21 AM »

One thing to consider is that if you leave the nail inside the bone, it could cause severe tissue damage if you had an accident that caused the tibia to break. You also don't feel quite right while the nail and screws are still in place. I had the 13mm BetzBone in my femurs for 1.5 years after consolidation, and I could always feel, it espcially when jogging. Tibia would probably be different but the sensation remains as long as the nail is in. Remember also that the nail occupies space that would otherwise be used to store yellow bone marrow which serves an important function in the body.

If you are considering external fixation, I would advice that you visit a doc that does the procedure and ask to see some of the patients who have completed lengthenining or at least see pics of their legs. The scars are hideous! When I was getting my femur nails removed,  there was a guy doing a consultation to lengthen his femur. He had done external fixation on his tibias and while he was happy with the height gain, the scars basically made him never to want to show his lower legs in public. External is cheaper for sure, but there is a price to be paid for the rest of your life due to the scars.

my scars only a few weeks after removal dont look very noticable, and as the dark coloring of them goes away they will be even less noticable. In the worst cases there is scar removal treatments/surgery so the price paid is not for "Life". I dont regret doing external even though it took a hell of a long time.

Metanoia

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »

my scars only a few weeks after removal dont look very noticable, and as the dark coloring of them goes away they will be even less noticable. In the worst cases there is scar removal treatments/surgery so the price paid is not for "Life". I dont regret doing external even though it took a hell of a long time.

This Atlas guy is a troll advertising for Betz very much like gettingtaller. Better don't feed the troll.
I went with Betz and got some huge scars due to complications. I regret not doing externals which are much safer and cheaper.

ShortyMcShort

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 12:23:28 PM »

Lol the Betz troll  ;D
Its been sometime since the last one came, I guess we were due

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 05:17:36 AM »

The scars from exfix aren't all that bad and with scar removal it should be even less of a worry. The scars are definitely preferable to what you'd potentially have to deal with by getting internal tibias, imo. Internals only make more sense with femur lengthening.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up