Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi I'm a young swede not anytime soon considering surgery am I still welcome?  (Read 20023 times)

Overdozer

Re: Hi I'm a young swede not anytime soon considering surgery am I still welcome?
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2014, 07:16:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

Read this.

Also the average for guys my age may be 181-182 but really a lot (like seriously I could swear most guys) of young men are taller than that.
Average of 181 means 50% are taller and 50% are shorter than that. If you're so obsessed with height, your perception may cheat you to notice only the taller ones, as they may annoy you more or you'd feel more discomfort around them and you don't notice the shorter ones.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Wannabegiant

Re: Hi I'm a young swede not anytime soon considering surgery am I still welcome?
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 07:39:16 PM »

Yeah, the average/mean height value in Sweden for males is ca 181 cm, but in terms of my own experience, the mode/modal value is also around this height. Which means most males you encounter should be around this height, in my experience this has been true.

So basically, its not 50% 170:s and 50% 190:s that made the mean ca 180 in Sweden, rather its a whole lot of 180:s with lesser ammounts of shorter and taller people.

GeTs

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 07:43:02 PM »

Actually no chick has ever said that they prefer 6'2 to 6'4, the tall ones 5'11+ maybe, but 5'11 - describe a 6'4 man as too tall or not elegant in movements, I'm not trying to push u down but a 6'4 if not well built looks awkward

Overdozer

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »

Yeah, that's right. Here's a good graph, take a look (for US):

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

Uppland

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »

I saw a growth chart for Norway (basically the same height as us swedes) and it showed 190 cm to be in the 90th percentile so, if I got standard deviation right, that means roughly 1 in 10 male norweigans (and swedes and danes) are 190 or more. That may not seem like much but think about it: Say you meet, I don't know 100 people in one day about ten of those will be your height or taller if you're 6'3 Now say you're strolling around central Stockholm you might see a couple of thousand people and suddenly 190 seems like a pretty common height. Add to that many swedes are just 1-3 inches shorter than that and you may begin to see how one might feel differently even if the statistics say one thing.

Now to be clear: I think you're right. You make a lot of sense and I'm not upset and I would be more than happy if I made it to 188 but if  could choose I would be another 2 inces taller after that.
For the record I have never heard a woman describe a man as too tall I'm sure there is suh a thing but I think you would need to have at least 40 cm on her.
If you could pick a height what would it be and why?

Uppland

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »

Actually no chick has ever said that they prefer 6'2 to 6'4, the tall ones 5'11+ maybe, but 5'11 - describe a 6'4 man as too tall or not elegant in movements, I'm not trying to push u down but a 6'4 if not well built looks awkward

That's an easy fix though isn't it? Just hit the gym and your lankiness will be but a memory, you'll also have a hard time getting fat eh?
Anyone above 6'1 shouldn't complain though, except maybe a dutch fellow.

Overdozer

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:34 PM »

that means roughly 1 in 10 male norweigans (and swedes and danes) are 190 or more.
That's right. 1 in 10 will also be 172 or less (181 +-9). You're thinking too much to it. Sure, out of thousand people you'll see a hundred being 190+, and also a few being 200+ but mostly they'll be within 176-186 range (50%, 25 to 75 percentile, +-5 deviation). If I could pick a height, I'd pick 6' - that's still average for my country, but upper, so not to cause any discomfort, while at the same time not drawing any unneeded attention, so I can blend in the masses, vanish in them.

G-Man

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 09:44:34 PM »

For me, as I live in north America, the sweet spot is around 6'1"-6'2".  I wouldn't want to be 6'3" or 6'4" as I still want to fit in with the buddies.  Like my Peruvian wingman is 5'8" so if I were 6'4" we'd have 8 inches of diff.  It would look kinda funny when we hit the clubs.

Above 6'2" people tend to focus only on your height and also, your dating pool diminishes, which is never a good thing!

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2014, 09:53:31 PM »

I was around 5'5 pre-surgery and when I went to China to study abroad one of the best friends I made there was a Danish guy who was 6'6 or so. I'm very stocky and he was thin as a pole, and when we went to bars or clubs people would comment on what a funny pair we made due to the height and build differences.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Uppland

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »

For me, as I live in north America, the sweet spot is around 6'1"-6'2".  I wouldn't want to be 6'3" or 6'4" as I still want to fit in with the buddies.  Like my Peruvian wingman is 5'8" so if I were 6'4" we'd have 8 inches of diff.  It would look kinda funny when we hit the clubs.

Above 6'2" people tend to focus only on your height and also, your dating pool diminishes, which is never a good thing!

Oh, come on the dating doesn't diminish for 6'2 people. Maybe dating a 4'10 girl would be kind of rough but I've never even seen one of those, they're basically unicorns until proven otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

More importantly: you have a peruvian wingman?

Now that will limit your dating pool -he'll snatch them babes up nomisaying.

Uppland

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »

That's right. 1 in 10 will also be 172 or less (181 +-9). You're thinking too much to it. Sure, out of thousand people you'll see a hundred being 190+, and also a few being 200+ but mostly they'll be within 176-186 range (50%, 25 to 75 percentile, +-5 deviation). If I could pick a height, I'd pick 6' - that's still average for my country, but upper, so not to cause any discomfort, while at the same time not drawing any unneeded attention, so I can blend in the masses, vanish in them.

Suppose we're different in that regard I would personally love to be in the 95th percentile even though I'd be giant when I go abroad. At least I think I would, but I will never know for sure.

Taller

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2014, 10:29:55 PM »

Just try to see the glass half full knowing that you could feasibly get to 185-188CM realistically. That range is still a little tall in Northern Europe. Most members of this forum wouldn't be able to reach these heights if they desired, but you can.

Uppland

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:46 PM »

You're right mate though I'm very vary of this surgery after having read up on it sounds rather horrid. Thanks for the encouragment though.
Would you say 187 cm is considered tall at all in N.europe. I assume you're german or dutch perhaps.

G-Man

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

Oh, come on the dating doesn't diminish for 6'2 people. Maybe dating a 4'10 girl would be kind of rough but I've never even seen one of those, they're basically unicorns until proven otherwise as far as I'm concerned.

More importantly: you have a peruvian wingman?

Now that will limit your dating pool -he'll snatch them babes up nomisaying.

Loll not at all, we each have our own preferences so we don't hit on the same girls. I prefer thin and he's latino so he prefers chunky!  Also, he cant beat the master. ;)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2014, 10:53:31 PM »

You're right mate though I'm very vary of this surgery after having read up on it sounds rather horrid. Thanks for the encouragment though.
Would you say 187 cm is considered tall at all in N.europe. I assume you're german or dutch perhaps.

Honestly with the right doctor the only horrid thing physically is the first 2 months after surgery, after that it gets significantly easier, now those lengthening a lot, like 6 cm or more might have another period of "horror" because the muscles are being stretched so much. But for me, after 2.5 months i barely had any pain at all, and i could sleep well again after i stopped lengthening. Infections are nasty but they can be cured quite easily, i only had that once.

The main horror that all LL patients phase is the isolation and loneliness for such a ridiculous long time, and if you want to shorten the time in frames with nails or plates, usually you can expect some drawback in terms of recovery if you decide to take that route.

Uppland

« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »

I would never do more than 5 cm I can only imagine the regret if somethin were to go wrong or even if I found out I couldn't do stuff I love anymore a year after. No, I'm not ashamed to admit this procedure scares me maybe even more than living a life unhappy with myself.

Who knows maybe security will be improved a couple of years from now I can only hope.

GeTs

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2014, 12:06:53 AM »

I saw a growth chart for Norway (basically the same height as us swedes) and it showed 190 cm to be in the 90th percentile so, if I got standard deviation right, that means roughly 1 in 10 male norweigans (and swedes and danes) are 190 or more. That may not seem like much but think about it: Say you meet, I don't know 100 people in one day about ten of those will be your height or taller if you're 6'3 Now say you're strolling around central Stockholm you might see a couple of thousand people and suddenly 190 seems like a pretty common height. Add to that many swedes are just 1-3 inches shorter than that and you may begin to see how one might feel differently even if the statistics say one thing.

Now to be clear: I think you're right. You make a lot of sense and I'm not upset and I would be more than happy if I made it to 188 but if  could choose I would be another 2 inces taller after that.
For the record I have never heard a woman describe a man as too tall I'm sure there is suh a thing but I think you would need to have at least 40 cm on her.
If you could pick a height what would it be and why?
186 cm cause it's a unique number  ;D

Uppland

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »

186 cm cause it's a unique number  ;D

It's a numbers game for you?
Fair enough 186 cm is a nice height taller than average the lowest I'd be happy with is probably 187 though, since we're talking numbers, can't stand being shorter than dad you know.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2014, 01:44:46 AM »

I think the correct way to view this scenario is:

A 2006 study published in American Sociological Review found that people in the U.S. had fewer friends than they'd had 20 years prior. In 1985, the average American claimed to have three close confidants (which could have included spouses or family members, in addition to friends), but by 2004, the average American had only two close confidants. One in four people reported having no one to talk to at all.

my point being that The average number is about 150 acquaintances, says leading anthropologist Robin Dunbar, They usually consist of an inner circle of five "core" people and an additional layer of 10, he says. That makes 15 people - some will probably be family members.

if you look at statistics then the typical girl will KNOW ZERO 190+CM GYS OR 1.   

your rational for when a girls walks down the street and sees 100,000 people 10,000 of those will be 190cm+ is quite a manipulation of statistics if I do say so. you have to judge this matter according to research on how many people a typical person knows.

and this is not taking into account if that zero or 1 person (the girl knows) who is 190cm+ is also fat, bald, has cancer, has a small penis, anorexic, likes to kill people, enjoys bashing their wife, likes to torture people............. you get my point that even with the incredibly low statistic your acting like if a girl so much as looks at a man who is 190+ then she will instantly marry him over you out of sheer lust for his height lol.

Uppland

« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »

You're reading into it a bit deep I think. I have little issue with girls as it is I also think that if you're above 185 -even in scandinavia- height is a small factor. Now I'm a bit obsessed with being tall and was arguing that 188 cm isn't all that where I live. I should count my blessings though if I somehow get to 6'2 I'll drop my insecurities.
That said life would have been grand at 190+ a man can dream.

For me height is more than just an attraction trigger. Being short conflicts with my self image and wrecks my seelf-esteem. I may never be truly tall and that's okay but I can't stand being short. Unfortunately I think I will feel that way unless I reach my fathers height but that's 6 cm extra at best not sure how to go by that.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:07 AM »

You're reading into it a bit deep I think. I have little issue with girls as it is I also think that if you're above 185 -even in scandinavia- height is a small factor. Now I'm a bit obsessed with being tall and was arguing that 188 cm isn't all that where I live. I should count my blessings though if I somehow get to 6'2 I'll drop my insecurities.
That said life would have been grand at 190+ a man can dream.

For me height is more than just an attraction trigger. Being short conflicts with my self image and wrecks my seelf-esteem. I may never be truly tall and that's okay but I can't stand being short. Unfortunately I think I will feel that way unless I reach my fathers height but that's 6 cm extra at best not sure how to go by that.

Im starting to think LL is not the solution for you..you need someone to talk to to get over this insecurity.

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

the first step is admitting you have a psychological problem.

endomorphisme

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2014, 01:02:05 PM »

the average height of scandinavian is so overrated, they're just one inch taller than british

-average height of young norwegian (barely 180 cm)
http://www.ssb.no/a/english/aarbok/tab/tab-108.html

-average height of young danish (around 180 cm)

http://www.dst.dk/pukora/epub/upload/17959/pop.pdf#page=34

-average height of young swedes (a bit under 180 cm)
http://www.ssb.no/a/publikasjoner/pdf/sa94/del-v-1b.pdf#page=9

-average height of young british (177.8 cm) as you can see self reported height is slighty higher than measured. ;D

http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB13218/HSE2012-Ch10-Adult-BMI.pdf#page=20

-average height of young swiss (178.2)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21805409

and you complain of not reaching 190 cm and more while you re only 178 cm  :o you have a huge ego.
i only aim 3 cm in my leg, if i had the will, i would do more, but i think anything above 188 cm is getting unnecessary, say 190 cm in sweden since swedes are slightly taller.

Uppland

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »

Wait so you started out at 182.5 cm and then lenghtened 3 cm or is this your second time?

endomorphisme

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2014, 01:52:09 PM »

no, it will be the first ( and also the last) operation.

Uppland

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

So you'll end up at 185 cm that sound like a smart move tbh.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »

The problem with the statistics presented is that they are all encompassing in the sense that they include the large amounts of non-ethnic Scandinavian nationals whose final heights are usually representative of their native lands. They might gain a few cm extra from the superior quality of life they are granted, but they don't suddenly start growing to 185cm on average. When you have around 25% of the youth of a country with a total population of 9 million from countries where the average height is far less than the typical ethnic Scandinavian average then these statistics become irrelevant.

Sweden actually recently passed an absurd law where the government insists race is not a reality of life but a "social construct".... and mandated that all laws, statistics and customs no longer make any allusion to or take any consideration of a person's ethnicity, so I wouldn't take those statistics to be accurate of the true image the ethnic Swedes who come here have created in their minds. They are comparing themselves to other ethnic Swedes, not the skewed supposed average of the entire national populace.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Uppland

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2014, 05:09:33 PM »

The study excludes people whose parents are not both born in sweden but yes it might hold the average down a bit. Not that much though even by the second generation immigrants grow suprisingly tall it's mostly nutrition and health that affect the national average.

Not sure what law you're refering to. Might be the law against incitement towards etniticity but that have been in place for a while I think.
Did you know only english speaking countries apply the concept of "race" as an alternative to ethnic groups. In europe it's quite rude to refer to race in general and to call sommeone as a different race in particular.

endomorphisme

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »

Which study exclude non ethnic scandinavian  polycrates?

Uppland

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »

I couldn't find the exact study again so I can't prove it but here's a link to the bureau of national statistics. It's viewable in english.

http://www.scb.se/en_/

Also here's a swedish newspaper article on height and weight. Maybe run it through google translate?

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/sverige/svenskarna-langre-och-tyngre/

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »

I said the studies you provided most likely include the youth not of Scandinavian origin, and that may have brought the average down a tad. Here's the article for the new law passed:

https://news.vice.com/article/sweden-plans-to-thwart-racism-by-eliminating-the-mention-of-race-from-its-laws
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up