Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: is 10 cm femur lengthening safe or too much?  (Read 2019 times)

way2short

is 10 cm femur lengthening safe or too much?
« on: August 18, 2024, 04:08:12 PM »

i will go with betz i think

Chocolatechunk

Re: is 10 cm femur lengthening safe or too much?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2024, 05:30:16 PM »

It’s not advised. Go with 8 cm as a maximum

way2short

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2024, 05:34:11 PM »

It’s not advised. Go with 8 cm as a maximum
i will still not hit the 180cm mark then tho :(

Chocolatechunk

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2024, 04:00:36 AM »

Okay well you’ll be way shorter stuck in a wheelchair if things go wrong. Buuuuuut if you are approved by your Dr. and if you go with Dr. Betz who is trustworthy and he gives you the go ahead then I’d say go for it.

way2short

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2024, 09:00:33 AM »

Okay well you’ll be way shorter stuck in a wheelchair if things go wrong. Buuuuuut if you are approved by your Dr. and if you go with Dr. Betz who is trustworthy and he gives you the go ahead then I’d say go for it.
alright thanks :)

way2short

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 05:25:32 AM »

bump

Robert Adam

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 08:34:52 AM »

10 cm at a time = wheelchair.
A much better solution is 4.5 tibia + 5.5 femur.

I want 8,07 cm

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 10:18:40 AM »

Dr Donghoon Lee says 6cm femur is safety
Dr Franz Birkholtz says 6,5 cm
Dr paley almost the same range of lengthening
I recomend you a conservative goal. But it depends on you. Is your money. I woult listen the recomendation of the doctors

Taller90

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 11:19:54 AM »

10 cm at a time = wheelchair.
A much better solution is 4.5 tibia + 5.5 femur.

Bull  it all depends where you are starting from and where you will end up (bone length, ratio etc). People who have short femurs can do it. People with average femurs probably not…

Finally the lengthening speed and how much you walk during the lengthening are key.

Good luck.
From 162.5cm to 178cm
Femur | Betzbone | 2022
Tibia | Betzbone | 2024

My diary: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=71436.0#top

jbfjbj4

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 08:00:37 PM »

I did 9.2, so kind of close to what your aim is.

In all practicality, with these clicking nails, it'll be very obvious IME when you've hit your personal limit. It goes from being hard at first, then once you get the hang of clicking its easy, then it starts getting harder again until it becomes very painful to click and you'll physically not be able to take it anymore - that'll be when you have to stop, nothing to do with safe limits or anything, just the way it is.

It was basically easy for me up to about 8cm, 8 until around 8.8cm was somewhat OK, after that the difficulty increased exponentially and when I quit I couldn't have continued another day.

Maybe you can get 10cm, but no one will be able to tell you this on here. You'll know yourself at the time.

throwaway123456

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2024, 12:44:58 AM »

My femur CLL limit (using precice) was 8 cm, in the last few weeks I at 0.25 mm per day due to extreme tension in my thigh, and sometimes took a day off.
On my right femur I first lengthened 5.6 cm , then the Fitbone rod stopped working, I waited 3 years before I lengthened the remaining 2.4 cm using Precice, I thought it would be a breeze after such a long break, but I needed fascia release surgery again, and was down to 0.33 mm per day for the last few mm.
I doubt I could have achieved much more than another centimeter in the second CLL.
Now squatting makes me almost topple over forward, and the long femurs look spindly and disproportionate (TIb/FIb now is 0.7, was 0,79) and I will not wear short shorts in public. If I lengthen further (@ current 179cm) it will be to improve Tib/Femur for both functional and aesthetic balance.

1team

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2024, 02:02:46 AM »

The whole 8cm limit on femurs was introduced when Paley was designing the Precise nail so it maxed out at that amount. Complications went up exponentially after that amount, sure he could have been safer and then set it at 7cm max but would have lost patients to Betz and other mechanical rods which can lengthen more. This is due to patients like yourself who have round number height targets they believe  they must hit. After all it's a business.

Anyone who has been on this forum knows this is all a trade off. Lengthen more equals more height with generally worse proportions and worse athleticism while lengthening less means less height but you'll look closer to normal and keep more athleticism. Being able to prioritise proportions is a luxury for taller lengtheners if you are really short for where you live you probably don't have that choice and will just have to deal with loss of athleticism and covering up bad proportions with clever clothing choices.

heightiseverything

• I am going to lengthen 28 cm over the years.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2024, 12:53:47 PM »

My femur CLL limit (using precice) was 8 cm, in the last few weeks I at 0.25 mm per day due to extreme tension in my thigh, and sometimes took a day off.
On my right femur I first lengthened 5.6 cm , then the Fitbone rod stopped working, I waited 3 years before I lengthened the remaining 2.4 cm using Precice, I thought it would be a breeze after such a long break, but I needed fascia release surgery again, and was down to 0.33 mm per day for the last few mm.
I doubt I could have achieved much more than another centimeter in the second CLL.
Now squatting makes me almost topple over forward, and the long femurs look spindly and disproportionate (TIb/FIb now is 0.7, was 0,79) and I will not wear short shorts in public. If I lengthen further (@ current 179cm) it will be to improve Tib/Femur for both functional and aesthetic balance.

Are you saying the reason you couldn’t do another 5.6 cm on second surgery was because your soft tissues still hadn’t recovered from your first one, even after three years?

Theoretically, it should be as easy as during your first surgery if given enough time and three years was plenty of that. I myself am interested in multiple lengthenings. Could you please share more details on this part? Was it the pain, the loss of flexibility that made you stop or something else?
Pages: [1]   Go Up