Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag  (Read 36089 times)

Height Journey

Re: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2023, 12:06:19 AM »

Height Journey - Tibia X-rays 4.4 Months In Consolidation - January 30, 2023

https://youtu.be/YdTjz0oRCe4
3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

EndGame

« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2023, 12:33:42 AM »

Height Journey - Tibia X-rays 4.4 Months In Consolidation - January 30, 2023

https://youtu.be/YdTjz0oRCe4
I hope your left tibia begins to improve more quickly. Slow consolidation must be a frustration. Hang in there. I think lots of blood flow can help with consolidation. Perhaps swim one hour per day using kick board and flippers focusing on primarily using your feet to move thru the water. Idea being get lots of blood flowing through your calves every day. Or even every other day. Obviously Dr. A would know better than me re exercise and blood flow. Good luck. Thank you for your diary and videos.

tempthrowaway

« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2023, 01:22:45 AM »

How common is the slow bone healing issue?

Height Journey

« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2023, 03:04:58 AM »

Thanks for your supportive comments. I would press a like (thumb up) button, but that feature is not available on this forum.

About my left tibia, the callus is there and it's pretty sturdy. The callus is also calcifying, though lagging compared to my right tibia. I can walk independently pretty well, though I shouldn't walk any faster than a normal pace. The tibias are slower with consolidation than femurs, so it's nothing new. I am in the process of shrinking my left tibia 2mm so it matches my right tibia length. Also a smaller gap allows better bone formation. I just have to continue eating well and take the nutritional supplements, and exercise well. My daily caloric intake was down a little throughout this cold and tiring winter, so that may be contributing to a slower bone formation. I'm better rested now so I'll be eating and exercising more.

hippo60

« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2023, 04:58:47 PM »

Thanks for your supportive comments. I would press a like (thumb up) button, but that feature is not available on this forum.

About my left tibia, the callus is there and it's pretty sturdy. The callus is also calcifying, though lagging compared to my right tibia. I can walk independently pretty well, though I shouldn't walk any faster than a normal pace. The tibias are slower with consolidation than femurs, so it's nothing new. I am in the process of shrinking my left tibia 2mm so it matches my right tibia length. Also a smaller gap allows better bone formation. I just have to continue eating well and take the nutritional supplements, and exercise well. My daily caloric intake was down a little throughout this cold and tiring winter, so that may be contributing to a slower bone formation. I'm better rested now so I'll be eating and exercising more.

Good luck man! Hopefully it gets better with eating and exercising.
Did Assayag mention specific exercises that can help with that?

SpeedDialer

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2023, 08:08:16 PM »

What are your thoughts on the difficulty for precise 2.2 tibia of doing 4.5 cm versus 5 cm for most people or other patients you've met?

My natural flexibility before femur LL is maybe only very slightly below average but still normal. I was able to do between 6.8-7.2 cm on femurs and it seemed to work out, my gait is improving and my pain is gone, just some tightness in the morning.

It feels like 4.5cm precise 2 tibias might be noticeably easier than the 5cm precise 2 tibias but the height is gain is about the same (4.5 is 90% of 5). I'm not entirely sure if 4.5 cm is significantly easier than 5cm though, I just assume so.

I've met two precise 2 tibia patients who stopped at 4cm after experiencing some tightness. I met one who did a bit more than 5cm but is experiencing alot of ballerina foot

Height Journey

« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2023, 05:37:42 PM »

Proportions Part 3 After Femur and Tibia Lengthening Surgery, Examining Disproportionality

https://youtu.be/ipRRCqYYfHE

Height Journey

« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2023, 05:16:22 AM »

What are your thoughts on the difficulty for precise 2.2 tibia of doing 4.5 cm versus 5 cm for most people or other patients you've met?

My natural flexibility before femur LL is maybe only very slightly below average but still normal. I was able to do between 6.8-7.2 cm on femurs and it seemed to work out, my gait is improving and my pain is gone, just some tightness in the morning.

It feels like 4.5cm precise 2 tibias might be noticeably easier than the 5cm precise 2 tibias but the height is gain is about the same (4.5 is 90% of 5). I'm not entirely sure if 4.5 cm is significantly easier than 5cm though, I just assume so.

I've met two precise 2 tibia patients who stopped at 4cm after experiencing some tightness. I met one who did a bit more than 5cm but is experiencing alot of ballerina foot

I can't say for sure. It certainly get tighter when reaching 3cm tibias, and I know from other sources that at 4cm tibias the difficulty gets even steeper. It really depends on your tibia flexibility (dorsiflexion).

Height Journey

« Reply #194 on: February 20, 2023, 07:22:08 PM »

Proportions Part 4 - Measuring or Estimating Limb Lengths for Proportions

https://youtu.be/Wpc0nga8XNg

Height Journey

« Reply #195 on: March 16, 2023, 03:38:03 AM »

Great to see the LL forum has returned and has not retired. Here's my latest video on my X-rays.

Height Journey - Tibia X-rays 5.8 Months In Consolidation - March 13, 2023
https://youtu.be/kfedmQ6CbQo

Height Journey

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2023, 01:12:59 AM »

Femurs vs Tibias for Limb Lengthening Surgery - The Final Analysis

https://youtu.be/XZu5234QE8c

Height Journey

« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2023, 03:50:05 AM »

Physical Therapy (April 8 ) - Advanced Consolidation Stage of Tibial Lengthening
https://youtu.be/YofvPK1l6-k

Height Journey

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2023, 01:39:59 AM »

Essential Equipment for Leg Lengthening Patients Part 2 - Tibia Lengtheners, More Equipment Reviewed
https://youtu.be/RFW31pj7tpw

Height Journey

« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2023, 04:49:24 AM »

Physical Therapy (May 9) - Advanced Consolidation Stage of Tibial Lengthening
https://youtu.be/Wi7K28m3xzc

Bagga

« Reply #200 on: May 09, 2023, 08:34:17 AM »

Well done!

Did you experience any pain or numbness at Tibias or ankle area during lengthening?
How do you feel now?

Height Journey

« Reply #201 on: May 10, 2023, 03:52:25 AM »

Well done!

Did you experience any pain or numbness at Tibias or ankle area during lengthening?
How do you feel now?

Just a little pain, though it is very minor and goes away with acetaminophen (Tylenol). Pain has gone down a lot over time since surgery.

I have a few partial numbness areas around my tibias, but it is not any hindrance. These partial numbness areas are slower to dissipate than pain.

hippo60

« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2023, 01:40:06 PM »

Can you share more about your numbness? Do you have any video about it?

Mainly curious to know if it's gotten better/worse throughout lengthening and since you stopped.
Did you have any numbness when lengthening your femurs too? And what Assayag had to say about it? It should go away over time?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 03:32:57 PM by hippo60 »

Height Journey

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2023, 04:16:02 AM »

Can you share more about your numbness? Do you have any video about it?

Mainly curious to know if it's gotten better/worse throughout lengthening and since you stopped.
Did you have any numbness when lengthening your femurs too? And what Assayag had to say about it? It should go away over time?

I didn't make a video on my numbness. It's just some areas of partial numbness from when the nerves stretch. When I was lengthening my femurs, it caused some small areas of partial numbness in my tibias, but not on my femurs. Tibia lengthening caused some areas of partial numbness around my tibias.

It's not painful or an obstacle, but it takes longer to go away because nerves take much longer to heal than muscles or flesh, often well over one year.

hippo60

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2023, 12:42:18 PM »

I didn't make a video on my numbness. It's just some areas of partial numbness from when the nerves stretch. When I was lengthening my femurs, it caused some small areas of partial numbness in my tibias, but not on my femurs. Tibia lengthening caused some areas of partial numbness around my tibias.

It's not painful or an obstacle, but it takes longer to go away because nerves take much longer to heal than muscles or flesh, often well over one year.

Is there any concern that it won't go anyway? Or not really?

How would you compare numbness between doing tibias and femurs? Is it significantly more when doing tibias? And did it take the same amount of time to go away?

GoaT

« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2023, 08:43:39 AM »

I read it somewhere that feeling numbness is totally common and it goes away after some time but it depends on person when will it go away. When I talked with someone who did 2 times lengthening said that his numbness happened during his femur lengthening and it went away after 9 months. So no need to worry about it.

sphenopetroclival

• Views don't represent views of Stanford Medicine
« Reply #206 on: May 20, 2023, 03:11:28 PM »

If you have recent imaging data please put it at this thread. Redact any information that could be used to dox you.

https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7171-9248
LL “doctors” to avoid marked as *MOVED below.They’ve been reinstated as a professional courtesy

Height Journey

« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:00 PM »

Partial numbness affects both femur and tibia lengtheners. It will mostly or completely go away, but takes longer. Like several months, sometimes over a year.

Height Journey

« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2023, 09:45:00 PM »

You’ve heard it and read about this controversial but conclusive topic before about height and income in the workplace. Height does affect income and taller employees tend to earn more income. Research spanning from decades ago to recently show that for each additional inch of height, the employee makes somewhere between $800 to $2000 more. Taller employees and job candidates have an advantage in finding jobs and making higher salaries.

Let’s analyze the research on height and income.

https://youtu.be/GlZJihIEZ_8

throwaway123456

« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2023, 09:59:15 PM »

My boss was 5 5, his 2IC was 5 3, the manager of the department is 5 0 (female), the manager of the major campus in the city is 5 7, I am not seeing too much height disc. in my organisation thankfully, even I was made  a Senior Engineer after 7 years (usually takes 10 years)at 5 7, we all make  $160K-$220K.

TheDream

« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2023, 11:09:01 PM »

Heightjourney did you avoid issues with the achilles tendon by limiting tibia to 3.7 cm? As in no ballerina walking and no achilles tendon lengthening?

Height Journey

« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2023, 02:20:32 AM »

My boss was 5 5, his 2IC was 5 3, the manager of the department is 5 0 (female), the manager of the major campus in the city is 5 7, I am not seeing too much height disc. in my organisation thankfully, even I was made  a Senior Engineer after 7 years (usually takes 10 years)at 5 7, we all make  $160K-$220K.

Yes, that's true. I did say that the height and income disparity affects some jobs (not all jobs). The disparity is most prevalent for jobs when you are meeting and interacting directly with people. There are lucrative jobs, especially in technology, where your performance is based on your technical skills.

Height Journey

« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2023, 02:25:01 AM »

Heightjourney did you avoid issues with the achilles tendon by limiting tibia to 3.7 cm? As in no ballerina walking and no achilles tendon lengthening?

Yes, lengthening less than 4cm on the tibia helped avoid achilles tendon problems and recover faster. I did get ballerina foot while lengthening, but I eventually got my dorsiflexion angle into the positive territory after consistent stretching.

Siegfried

« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2023, 07:26:27 AM »

Same, even though i  only did 3.5cm on tibia. I still struggle with achilles tendon tightness sometimes almost a year after surgery. Every surgeon pushing their patients towards 6+ cm on tibias is a butcher
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

akali

« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2023, 07:47:44 AM »

What was your lengthening speed? Did you over than 1 mm or?

TheDream

« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2023, 07:38:24 PM »

Yes, lengthening less than 4cm on the tibia helped avoid achilles tendon problems and recover faster. I did get ballerina foot while lengthening, but I eventually got my dorsiflexion angle into the positive territory after consistent stretching.

Same, even though i  only did 3.5cm on tibia. I still struggle with achilles tendon tightness sometimes almost a year after surgery. Every surgeon pushing their patients towards 6+ cm on tibias is a butcher

That’s very interesting. Thank you guys for answering. Do you guys know if the achilles tendon tightness ever goes away completely as you limited yourselves to a very modest amount on Tibias? As in, does one expect it to go back to “normal” after 2-3 years? Or will there always be some increased tension that requires active stretching or it causes ballerina walk?

Height Journey

« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2023, 11:02:27 PM »

What was your lengthening speed? Did you over than 1 mm or?

Tibia lengthening rate was 0.75mm/day. You go 1mm or more per day on tibias and you greatly increase the risk of non-union, nerve damage, severe ballerina foot and foot supination, and excessive muscle and tendon tightness.

That’s very interesting. Thank you guys for answering. Do you guys know if the achilles tendon tightness ever goes away completely as you limited yourselves to a very modest amount on Tibias? As in, does one expect it to go back to “normal” after 2-3 years? Or will there always be some increased tension that requires active stretching or it causes ballerina walk?

I'm doing much better than tibia lengtheners who went 6+ cm. However, I won't be able to tell you until about a year after the internal nails are removed.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up