Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag  (Read 30828 times)

Mini0510

Re: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2022, 08:55:56 AM »

Hi height journey, congrats on finishing

I plan to do femirs first to get max length. I know Dr. ASSAYAG recommends to wait a year to do tibia lengthening.

Am I able to do tibia after 4 months after femur surgery? I just don't want to recover fully and then break my legs again

Height Journey

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2022, 09:43:57 PM »

Hi height journey, congrats on finishing

I plan to do femirs first to get max length. I know Dr. ASSAYAG recommends to wait a year to do tibia lengthening.

Am I able to do tibia after 4 months after femur surgery? I just don't want to recover fully and then break my legs again

If you want to get maximum length (8cm femurs + 5cm tibias), then you will need to wait 12 months between the surgeries. That's because you need that much time to stretch and recover your muscles, nerves, and soft tissues for the next surgery. They are all interconnected.

If you are going for less combined length (about 10cm combined), then you can wait as early as 3 to 4 weeks to do the next surgery.

3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

Mini0510

« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2022, 12:46:20 AM »

If you want to get maximum length (8cm femurs + 5cm tibias), then you will need to wait 12 months between the surgeries. That's because you need that much time to stretch and recover your muscles, nerves, and soft tissues for the next surgery. They are all interconnected.

If you are going for less combined length (about 10cm combined), then you can wait as early as 3 to 4 weeks to do the next surgery.

so you did femurs, stayed 3 months baltimore for the lengthening and physical therapy. Then went home recover for a year, then went back to do the tibias?   

Height Journey

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2022, 02:07:05 AM »

so you did femurs, stayed 3 months baltimore for the lengthening and physical therapy. Then went home recover for a year, then went back to do the tibias?   

Close. I stayed in Baltimore for almost 4 months (2.8 months to lengthen and 1 month in consolidation). Then I returned a little over 1 year after the femur surgery to lengthen tibias and fix an external tibial torsion problem.

Mini0510

« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2022, 07:34:25 AM »

Close. I stayed in Baltimore for almost 4 months (2.8 months to lengthen and 1 month in consolidation). Then I returned a little over 1 year after the femur surgery to lengthen tibias and fix an external tibial torsion problem.

oh ok. and you are overall satisfied with Dr Assayag and his team? and areas can be improved on? I like the way Dr Assayag thinks and expresses in his interview with Cybor4life. It seems like a cheaper option than Paley and just as good.

Height Journey

« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2022, 12:38:54 AM »

oh ok. and you are overall satisfied with Dr Assayag and his team? and areas can be improved on? I like the way Dr Assayag thinks and expresses in his interview with Cybor4life. It seems like a cheaper option than Paley and just as good.

I give a positive recommendation for Dr Assayag and his team. That's why I chose him over Paley - lower price but just as good, skilled, and reliable.

Height Journey

« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2022, 12:39:28 AM »

Mini0510

« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2022, 03:15:04 AM »

I give a positive recommendation for Dr Assayag and his team. That's why I chose him over Paley - lower price but just as good, skilled, and reliable.

Dr. Assayag replied to me when i asked him if i can do tibias 4months after femurs.

It is possible to do that.

I have two recommendations if going that route:

1. doing tibia first, then femurs 4 months later
2. starting with femurs and using a suprapatellar incision for the tibia lengthening (due to quadriceps tightness). such an incision allows for a more accurate and safer tibia lengthening

I appreciate him taking time to answer my question. He seems really friendly and knowledgeable

Height Journey

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2022, 04:24:37 PM »

Dr. Assayag replied to me when i asked him if i can do tibias 4months after femurs.

It is possible to do that.

I have two recommendations if going that route:

1. doing tibia first, then femurs 4 months later
2. starting with femurs and using a suprapatellar incision for the tibia lengthening (due to quadriceps tightness). such an incision allows for a more accurate and safer tibia lengthening

I appreciate him taking time to answer my question. He seems really friendly and knowledgeable

Yes, you can do your femur surgery 4 months after your tibia surgery. You can even do it as early as 3 weeks. However, the shorter the time between the 2 surgeries, the less total maximum length you can achieve. This is because the soft tissues (nerves, blood vessels, skin, and especially the muscles and tendons) around your lower and upper legs are interconnected. So you need as much time to stretch out and for your body to recover from the stretching.

Assuming you are doing 5cm tibias, here are approximate estimates of the maximum length you can achieve on your femurs, based on the time between the 2 surgeries.
3 weeks: 5cm femurs
4 months: 6.0-6.5 cm femurs
12 months: 8cm femurs

Mini0510

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »

the original question i asked was
Is it possible to do femurs first for 7-8cm and then do the tibias 4 months later for 5cm?

i guess it depends on the patient healing process

Height Journey

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2022, 10:20:18 PM »

the original question i asked was
Is it possible to do femurs first for 7-8cm and then do the tibias 4 months later for 5cm?

i guess it depends on the patient healing process

Yes, it's possible. But it depends on your flexibility and body's healing ability. You need some time to stretch your muscles out. I'm a bit skeptical about 4 months, but it is possible. I think at least 6 months is better.

Height Journey

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2022, 11:48:02 PM »

Day 88 – Physical Therapy Progress, Updates to Equipment and Supplies Pages, +3.7cm (1.46 inch)

https://heightjourney.wordpress.com/2022/10/10/day-88-physical-therapy-progress-updates-to-equipment-and-supplies-pages-3-7cm-1-46-inch/

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2022, 04:06:24 AM »

I am following your journey, i love how meticulous you are!

How tall are you going to be by the end of this all?

I see you did 7cm on Femurs.  Did you get an ITB release (soft or proper?) , and would you dissuade me from attempting 7.5cm -7.99cm (no more than 7.99 max) on femurs?
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

Height Journey

« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »

I am following your journey, i love how meticulous you are!

How tall are you going to be by the end of this all?

I see you did 7cm on Femurs.  Did you get an ITB release (soft or proper?) , and would you dissuade me from attempting 7.5cm -7.99cm (no more than 7.99 max) on femurs?

I'm going to be a few mm under 180cm or 5'11" barefoot, which is effectively 180cm or 5'11".

I got an IT band release with my femur surgery. I don't know what you mean by soft or proper.

For your goal length on femurs, I say go for all 8cm if you can. If you can't reach 8cm because of muscle tightness or limited time, then lengthen as much as you can.

sixfootandhalf

« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2022, 04:22:53 AM »

I'm going to be a few mm under 180cm or 5'11" barefoot, which is effectively 180cm or 5'11".

I got an IT band release with my femur surgery. I don't know what you mean by soft or proper.

For your goal length on femurs, I say go for all 8cm if you can. If you can't reach 8cm because of muscle tightness or limited time, then lengthen as much as you can.

Wow, you're going to be 1.8m tall and probably easily 6'0 in shoes. That is amazing.

If i spent the next 6-7 months prior to any surgery stretching,  being able to do the splits, etc, getting very flexible / stretching 2-3 hours a day, would i have any real advantage.
Current height: 174.5cm  evening (175.3m left leg 174.5 left leg). Lengthening: 7cm
Final height 182-183cm afternoon height with glucosamine, stretching and posture.

Height Journey

« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2022, 02:46:53 AM »

Wow, you're going to be 1.8m tall and probably easily 6'0 in shoes. That is amazing.

If i spent the next 6-7 months prior to any surgery stretching,  being able to do the splits, etc, getting very flexible / stretching 2-3 hours a day, would i have any real advantage.

Yes, the more flexible you are (especially around the hips and legs), the better your chances of reaching maximum lengths.

Mini0510

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2022, 07:45:37 PM »

Yes, the more flexible you are (especially around the hips and legs), the better your chances of reaching maximum lengths.

How do i tell if i'm (super) flexible?  See how high i can kick? and how also backwards as well?

Height Journey

« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2022, 11:42:23 PM »

Day 96 – Physical Therapy Progress in Early to Mid Consolidation, +3.7cm (1.46 inch)

https://heightjourney.wordpress.com/2022/10/18/day-96-physical-therapy-progress-in-early-to-mid-consolidation-3-7cm-1-46-inch/

Height Journey

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2022, 11:33:49 PM »

How do i tell if i'm (super) flexible?  See how high i can kick? and how also backwards as well?

For femur lengthening surgery, some flexibility tests to see if you are satisfactorily flexible.

1) Hamstring - Lie down on a PT table or something similar. Have someone raise one leg up while your leg is straight at the knee. Other leg and body stays on PT table. 90 degrees is satisfactory.

2) Quadriceps - Stand up on one leg. With the other leg, bend your leg and bring the heel next to your butt. Use your hand to hold the  ankle to stretch the quad. If your heel is within 2 inches of your butt, quad flexibility is satisfactory.

3) Adductors - Sit on a floor with legs straight out and try to do a straddle split. If the angle of your legs is 100 degrees, it is satisfactory.

If you can do better than satisfactory, then you are even more flexible.

Height Journey

« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2022, 11:37:51 PM »

Day 100 – Brief PT Progress with AlterG, Why Limit Tibial Lengthening to 5cm? +3.7cm (1.46 inch)

https://heightjourney.wordpress.com/2022/10/22/day-100-brief-pt-progress-with-alterg-why-limit-tibial-lengthening-to-5cm-3-7cm-1-46-inch/

Height Journey

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2022, 12:07:46 AM »

hippo60

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2022, 01:45:25 PM »

Wow that treadmill looks great! How does it feel?
Also wanted to thank you for updating the equipment list! I just went over it and it's super helpful  8)

Siegfried

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »

Hey HJ,

when do you estimate to be off crutches and full weightbearing?
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238

Height Journey

« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2022, 02:08:00 AM »

Wow that treadmill looks great! How does it feel?
Also wanted to thank you for updating the equipment list! I just went over it and it's super helpful  8)

The AlterG is great. I'm actually walking with just enough weight so it is within limits of what my legs and internal nails can handle.

Height Journey

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2022, 02:09:18 AM »

Hey HJ,

when do you estimate to be off crutches and full weightbearing?

I estimate early November I will be on forearm crutches and early December I will be walking independently (full weight bearing on one leg).

Height Journey

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2022, 10:52:24 PM »

hippo60

« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2022, 03:29:14 PM »

Can you share a little bit about your decision to stop at 7cm and 3.5cm? I was trying to find it in one of your posts but not that easy  :-X
Also, did you wait 1 year between the surgeries? Do you think you could've done it sooner?
And does he offer the simultaneously lengthening like Paley does?

Height Journey

« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2022, 11:39:42 PM »

Can you share a little bit about your decision to stop at 7cm and 3.5cm? I was trying to find it in one of your posts but not that easy  :-X
Also, did you wait 1 year between the surgeries? Do you think you could've done it sooner?
And does he offer the simultaneously lengthening like Paley does?

I have so many posts and videos that it's not easy to find certain information. Let's take one question at a time.

How Much to Lengthen for Limb Lengthening Surgery
https://youtu.be/c-ritg5V818

At 5:57 in the video above explains why I stopped at 7cm femurs.

Tibial Hybrid Surgery Preparations (July 2) by Height Journey
https://youtu.be/38iqTr_OUbA

At 1:13 in the video above explains why I stopped at 3.5cm femurs.

I waited a little over one year between my femur and tibia surgeries. I could have done it as early as 8 months but I didn't plan for it.

Dr Assayag also offers simultaneous lengthening (about 3 to 4 weeks between each segment surgery).

hippo60

« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2022, 03:15:21 PM »

I have so many posts and videos that it's not easy to find certain information. Let's take one question at a time.

I waited a little over one year between my femur and tibia surgeries. I could have done it as early as 8 months but I didn't plan for it.

Dr Assayag also offers simultaneous lengthening (about 3 to 4 weeks between each segment surgery).

Thank you! Maybe you can create an FAQ page on your blog with links / answers to common questions? Might save you time :)
Why you could start "as early as 8 months"? Is there a "criteria" you need to meet in terms of functionality / recovery?
And why you didn't go for the simultaneous lengthening then? Is it like Paley where you can only do 5cm on each segment?

Height Journey

« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2022, 11:41:04 PM »

Thank you! Maybe you can create an FAQ page on your blog with links / answers to common questions? Might save you time :)
Why you could start "as early as 8 months"? Is there a "criteria" you need to meet in terms of functionality / recovery?
And why you didn't go for the simultaneous lengthening then? Is it like Paley where you can only do 5cm on each segment?

Yeah, I should create a FAQ page or video sometime in the future.

I think 8 months is sufficient because I was experiencing muscle tightness and I needed time to stretch my femur muscles and calves before tibia lengthening. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get over 10cm combined. I could try the second lengthening less than 8 months but I am skeptical that I could get past 10cm combined because of muscle tightness and how the muscles and nerves are all interconnected. I would also be unable to work remotely while doing simultaneous lengthening.

Also, I didn't initially plan for tibia lengthening when I did femur lengthening, so that's why I didn't go simultaneous.

hippo60

« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2022, 04:17:19 PM »

I think 8 months is sufficient because I was experiencing muscle tightness and I needed time to stretch my femur muscles and calves before tibia lengthening. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to get over 10cm combined. I could try the second lengthening less than 8 months but I am skeptical that I could get past 10cm combined because of muscle tightness and how the muscles and nerves are all interconnected. I would also be unable to work remotely while doing simultaneous lengthening.

After 8 months you didn't feel any tightness anymore? You were done with the stretching / PT?
And if not, what was it like after the tibia surgery? I imagine it was much harder / impossible to stretch / PT no?
And did your femurs consolidated by then? I wonder if it has any impact on your recovery (going back to wheelchair instead of being able to push yourself to do more).

You mentioned in the video your height dysphoria was 90% "cured" after the femur surgery. I just wonder how much time you had to really "enjoy" your new height before the 2nd surgery? I imagine you were still limited in your activities.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up