Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag  (Read 30712 times)

Height Journey

Re: Tibia Lengthening (Precice 2.2) with Dr Assayag
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2022, 01:34:58 AM »

3.7cm tibias with Precice 2.2 nails in 2022
7.0cm femurs with Precice 2.2 nails in 2021

YouTube: YouTube.com/HeightJourney

Height Journey

« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2022, 01:42:45 AM »

Now the HD version of my Stadiometer video is ready.

EndGame

« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2022, 03:32:52 AM »

How much does the ERC machine weigh?

Height Journey

« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »

How much does the ERC machine weigh?

Not sure of the exact weight, but it has some weight to it. It’s still easy to carry and handle. However, the black plastic case to place it (if carrying it far) is pretty big and bulky, like a medium suitcase.

EndGame

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2022, 11:44:33 PM »

Not sure of the exact weight, but it has some weight to it. It’s still easy to carry and handle. However, the black plastic case to place it (if carrying it far) is pretty big and bulky, like a medium suitcase.
If you were to try and use ERC with just one arm/hand, do you think it'd be fairly easy to move into place, align and use? I'm thinking about humerus LL. Wondering if kept ERC on a desk if I might be able to use it, one arm at a time, on my own instead of paying for an aide or something. Clearly something I'd need to discuss in advance with doctor, but curious how feasible you think it might be. I have large bones and likely can use the widest 75lbs weight bearing precise rods. Trying to think thru in advance various costs and assistance needs I'll likely have. Thanks.

Height Journey

« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2022, 05:09:49 AM »

It would be hard, but possible, to use the ERC with one hand. The ERC for arm lengthening may be different. You'll have to ask your doctor about arm lengthening details, including the ERC.

Ismail6024

• Visitor
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »

Oh wow is arm lengthening a thing! Is this for aesthetic reasons or deformity correction only

Height Journey

« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2022, 01:12:54 PM »

Oh wow is arm lengthening a thing! Is this for aesthetic reasons or deformity correction only

The upper/proximal arm (humerus) can be lengthened for cosmetic reasons, up to 5cm. The forearm (distal arm) is only for deformity correction, not cosmetic lengthening.

Height Journey

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2022, 07:08:40 PM »

Day 169 – Fourth X-rays in Tibial Consolidation, End of Blog, Transition to YouTube

https://heightjourney.wordpress.com/2022/12/31/day-169-fourth-x-rays-in-tibial-consolidation-end-of-blog-transition-to-youtube/

hippo60

« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2022, 07:49:09 PM »

Why did you decided to stop the blog? Just no point investing in both?

Height Journey

« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2022, 08:04:55 PM »

Yes, one main reason for stopping the blog was because of the overlapping time commitments.

hippo60

« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2022, 08:12:24 PM »

Makes sense! Really like your channel, hope you keep posting regularly :)

EndGame

« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2023, 02:42:08 AM »

Day 169 – Fourth X-rays in Tibial Consolidation, End of Blog, Transition to YouTube

https://heightjourney.wordpress.com/2022/12/31/day-169-fourth-x-rays-in-tibial-consolidation-end-of-blog-transition-to-youtube/
Congrats on your continued progress. Keep up the hard work. Hope you're fully recovered soon.

Height Journey

« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2023, 02:25:35 AM »

Introduction for 2023 by Height Journey - How to Grow Taller: Leg Lengthening Surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0O29-QbXY

1team

« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2023, 04:15:04 AM »

The upper/proximal arm (humerus) can be lengthened for cosmetic reasons, up to 5cm. The forearm (distal arm) is only for deformity correction, not cosmetic lengthening.

Were you planning on doing arm lengthening? What is your wingspan?

Height Journey

« Reply #170 on: January 08, 2023, 04:24:50 AM »

Were you planning on doing arm lengthening? What is your wingspan?

No plans for arm lengthening.

hippo60

« Reply #171 on: January 08, 2023, 04:54:31 PM »

Introduction for 2023 by Height Journey - How to Grow Taller: Leg Lengthening Surgery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0O29-QbXY

Great update as usual! Would love to see an update on PT (walking / strength etc).
Btw, I suggest you fix the "not secure" message on your website, it might deter people from booking consultation. I'm happy to help you with that if you'd like  ;)

Height Journey

« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2023, 05:31:56 AM »

Great update as usual! Would love to see an update on PT (walking / strength etc).
Btw, I suggest you fix the "not secure" message on your website, it might deter people from booking consultation. I'm happy to help you with that if you'd like  ;)

Thanks for pointing it out. I updated the link in my profile so it points to https://heightjourney.com (using https, not http). I'm in the process of fixing all this up.

hippo60

« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2023, 01:27:22 PM »

Thanks for pointing it out. I updated the link in my profile so it points to https://heightjourney.com (using https, not http). I'm in the process of fixing all this up.

Looking great!

Jaki19

« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2023, 02:43:52 PM »

How is your Achilles‘ tendon doing? That seems to be the main culprit for most tibia patients

Height Journey

« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2023, 03:46:06 AM »

How is your Achilles‘ tendon doing? That seems to be the main culprit for most tibia patients

Yes, the Achilles tendon causes obstacles like ballerina foot for tibia lengthening patients. I'm doing fine restoring my dorsiflexion angle. The calf slant stretch board is helpful.

Height Journey

« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2023, 08:03:39 PM »

Physical Therapy (Jan 15) - Walking Independently Longer Distances

https://youtu.be/G_AiL1PJNbs

EndGame

« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2023, 11:45:17 PM »

Great diary and videos. Congrats on the continued progress.

SpeedDialer

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2023, 05:13:06 PM »

Have you met in person any precise 2 tibia patients who did 5cm?

I saw one guy in person who did 5cm for precise tibias and it looked like a difficult road ahead for him to fix his ballerina foot.

If 90 degrees is the foot perpendicular to the lower leg (normal), it looked like his ballerina foot was like 155+ degrees. I don't really understand how he can stand up for things like toilet or shower transfers but I was hesitant to ask him in person.

On the antigravity treadmill, he is sort of walking on the balls of his foot, it is quite noticeable and it looks like a challenge, though I assume it will get better when he stops lengthening.

Height Journey

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2023, 12:22:39 AM »

Have you met in person any precise 2 tibia patients who did 5cm?

I saw one guy in person who did 5cm for precise tibias and it looked like a difficult road ahead for him to fix his ballerina foot.

If 90 degrees is the foot perpendicular to the lower leg (normal), it looked like his ballerina foot was like 155+ degrees. I don't really understand how he can stand up for things like toilet or shower transfers but I was hesitant to ask him in person.

On the antigravity treadmill, he is sort of walking on the balls of his foot, it is quite noticeable and it looks like a challenge, though I assume it will get better when he stops lengthening.

I didn't meet a Precice tibia patient in person, but I did meet 3 Stryde patients (when it was available) during femur lengthening. They lengthened between 5 to 6cm. They were all in consolidation phase at the time. They seemed to get their dorsiflexion angle to 0 degrees (90 degrees is the foot perpendicular to the lower leg) and were walking slowly and cautiously (it was the Stryde nail) but they implied it took a lot of time and work to restore their dorsiflexion angle and get consolidated in the tibias. However, I did not ask about their progress in detail.

It might be that because the Stryde nail is full weight bearing, they can stand on the floor or walk slowly and get a decent dorsiflexion stretch with their full body weight. Even with the Stryde nail, going over 6cm tibias (and over 5cm for some people) looks like a risky idea because of severe ballerina foot.

Height Journey

« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2023, 11:44:24 PM »

Tibia Scars of Limb Lengthening Surgery

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQghIhnCkrQ

Jaki19

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2023, 02:32:44 AM »

Appreciate the updates!

SpeedDialer

« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2023, 01:52:55 PM »

Great insights and quality as usual

Height Journey is one of the best things to happen to the community honestly

SpeedDialer

« Reply #183 on: January 27, 2023, 07:45:54 PM »

Unrelated to below, I know for internal femurs, especially between 3cm-6cm most of us had knee pain (related to tight quads + the leg being straight in some sleeping positions) in Athens. The nurses would tell us to put the pillow under the lower legs during sleep to raise the legs for better circulation. But during the knee pain period for internal femurs, most of us found that putting the pillow under the lower legs causes more knee pain/more leg straightening-- as opposed to putting the pillow under the knee directly to cause some knee bend which relieved the pain (assuming a lying on back position). And so there is some tension between doing what the nurses are telling us to do (which may not consider all the variables/may not consider what the patient is feeling) versus following how our bodies feel. I point this out just to frame what I'll say below

What do you feel are the most difficult parts of internal tibias for precise?

From talking to some precise tibia patients in Athens, basically there are various points where the doctor's protocol says one thing and patients will tell me they will do something a bit different in practice/say that the doctor can't feel what they feel. A bit of tension between what decision to make in those situations.

I am under the impression that for precise tibias (probably just internal tibias in general):

1. It seems like the first 4-5 weeks there is considerable pain from the surgical wounds for precise tibias that caused some in Athens to not stretch for a the first few weeks except during PT (because the pain would end up coming from wound pain instead of from muscle stretching pain). I am not sure whether it is better to avoid stretching during that period or to stretch through that wound pain? There seems to be some tension where patients would be like "sure the doctor told me to stretch but I know my body and I know the pain when I stretch is from the wounds, not the muscle stretching" -> and so I am noticing that for the first few weeks some precise tibia patients are not stretching much while their lower legs are recovering from the surgical wounds. And I would not be not sure which advice to follow

- It seems like there can be some pain in the achilles tendon. I wonder if ice packing it down for a few hours helps or just makes the problem worse?

- Two people in Athens stopped at around 4cm for precise tibias because it got very tight. I am under the impression that after the wound pain ends, the pain was much less but calves just got very tight after not much lengthening. There is also someone here who did 5cm and has considerable ballerina foot

- The discomfort of the hard/bulky braces/splints has caused some patients in Athens to look for smaller more comfortable ones. I'm not sure what to make of this, there are some smaller more comfortable ones on amazon close to 5 stars- I'm assuming the doctor would object but a patient who sought a smaller more comfortable one told me something along the lines of "if the braces/splint they give us are too uncomfortable/bulky then they won't get as much wearing in practice"

What are your thoughts? I did femurs but have not done tibias. In situations where the doctor's protocol says one thing but the body/other patients tell me one thing like for the above questions, I'd be a bit confused/unsure which to follow sometimes

Captain Bone

• Visitor
« Reply #184 on: January 30, 2023, 10:25:50 AM »

Good luck on your journey. Thanks for posting the picture. It's obvious you're having surgery. Unfortunately, fake logs are more prominent in this forum. I love honest diaries like you and we learn a lot from you. Please keep updating

Siegfried

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2023, 12:25:37 PM »

Unrelated to below, I know for internal femurs, especially between 3cm-6cm most of us had knee pain (related to tight quads + the leg being straight in some sleeping positions) in Athens. The nurses would tell us to put the pillow under the lower legs during sleep to raise the legs for better circulation. But during the knee pain period for internal femurs, most of us found that putting the pillow under the lower legs causes more knee pain/more leg straightening-- as opposed to putting the pillow under the knee directly to cause some knee bend which relieved the pain (assuming a lying on back position). And so there is some tension between doing what the nurses are telling us to do (which may not consider all the variables/may not consider what the patient is feeling) versus following how our bodies feel. I point this out just to frame what I'll say below

What do you feel are the most difficult parts of internal tibias for precise?

From talking to some precise tibia patients in Athens, basically there are various points where the doctor's protocol says one thing and patients will tell me they will do something a bit different in practice/say that the doctor can't feel what they feel. A bit of tension between what decision to make in those situations.

I am under the impression that for precise tibias (probably just internal tibias in general):

1. It seems like the first 4-5 weeks there is considerable pain from the surgical wounds for precise tibias that caused some in Athens to not stretch for a the first few weeks except during PT (because the pain would end up coming from wound pain instead of from muscle stretching pain). I am not sure whether it is better to avoid stretching during that period or to stretch through that wound pain? There seems to be some tension where patients would be like "sure the doctor told me to stretch but I know my body and I know the pain when I stretch is from the wounds, not the muscle stretching" -> and so I am noticing that for the first few weeks some precise tibia patients are not stretching much while their lower legs are recovering from the surgical wounds. And I would not be not sure which advice to follow

- It seems like there can be some pain in the achilles tendon. I wonder if ice packing it down for a few hours helps or just makes the problem worse?

- Two people in Athens stopped at around 4cm for precise tibias because it got very tight. I am under the impression that after the wound pain ends, the pain was much less but calves just got very tight after not much lengthening. There is also someone here who did 5cm and has considerable ballerina foot

- The discomfort of the hard/bulky braces/splints has caused some patients in Athens to look for smaller more comfortable ones. I'm not sure what to make of this, there are some smaller more comfortable ones on amazon close to 5 stars- I'm assuming the doctor would object but a patient who sought a smaller more comfortable one told me something along the lines of "if the braces/splint they give us are too uncomfortable/bulky then they won't get as much wearing in practice"

What are your thoughts? I did femurs but have not done tibias. In situations where the doctor's protocol says one thing but the body/other patients tell me one thing like for the above questions, I'd be a bit confused/unsure which to follow sometimes

I would not worry about the pain, I did both, tibia + femur, at the same time, and I felt that pain levels were very similar. Femurs might have been a tad more painful tbh.
Unilateral Quadrilateral Lengthening 2021/22 w/ Koehne
Pre-Surgery: 1.67 m
Post-Surgery: 1.76 m
My Story: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=68285.msg221238#msg221238
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up