Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to find money?  (Read 626 times)

Aquahoma2

Where to find money?
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:25:29 AM »

Hey, guys!

The theme basically says it, - how did you fund, or how do you plant to fund, your surgery?

DonBones

Re: Where to find money?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:20:56 AM »

Savings :)

I could theoretically go with Paley now. However, according Paley we likely won't be able to use Stryde until 2022, so I will spend another year waiting and saving.
First Surgery - Prof Betz - 28th July 2021 🇩🇪
Nail Removal - Dr Becker - 13th December 2023 🇩🇪
Lengthened: 5.00cm
Height: 180cm
Current Phase: Enjoying New Height :)

Aquahoma2

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 09:22:58 AM »

For how long did you make this savings? How much do you have right now?

DonBones

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »

For how long did you make this savings? How much do you have right now?

In about 2.5 years I saved up $150k. In a way I do not mind the temporary recall of Stryde because it will allow me to hopefully save up some more and have more than $200k by next year. Most people don't need that much, but this surgery is a very daunting prospect and I want to be ready on all fronts.

billsmafia

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 10:09:58 AM »

In about 2.5 years I saved up $150k. In a way I do not mind the temporary recall of Stryde because it will allow me to hopefully save up some more and have more than $200k by next year. Most people don't need that much, but this surgery is a very daunting prospect and I want to be ready on all fronts.

How are you planning to take the months off work and return when nail becomes available 2022? Must be a high income career,

DonBones

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 10:25:20 AM »

How are you planning to take the months off work and return when nail becomes available 2022? Must be a high income career,

That is a very good question. Honestly, I do not know yet. I have 26 holidays per year and I can carry over 5 every year. This means I can get up to six weeks paid leave. Hopefully they will allow me to take another six weeks unpaid leave or more depending on how long 5cm will take. As a Software Engineer I can work from home as well.

In the worst case I would have to resign. This wouldn't be ideal, but at 32 I feel like it is now or never.

Aquahoma2

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:18 AM »

I DMed you earlier basically the same question.

How tall are you? What’s your education and where do you work to be able to gain such money?

DonBones

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »

I am 175cm, based in London and a self-taught software engineer at a big American bank. My salary is well above the national average, but nothing special at this particular bank or any of our competitors. In fact, programmers of the same seniority as myself who are based in the major hubs in the US earn a fair bit more, easily surpassing $200k per year. In general there are many wealthy people there, which perhaps explains the prices.

Sibirskiy

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 11:48:15 AM »

You need to be realistic. If you dont have enough money for a Western doctor then save up for it. That takes time.

If you want the surgery sooner/for less money then you can only afford non-Western options. I can vouch for the fact that you can find great surgeons outside of Western countries.

No easy way to achieve goals. Be realistic about your options.
176 cm before
184 cm after
Diary (LATN Dec 2016-March 2017, 8.0cm) :  http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4403.0
Post CLL thoughts (Audio logs): http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4859.0

BelowTheMean

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 02:26:22 PM »

That's why I did the surgery during the pandemic. Don't need to take time off if you don't need to go into the office for work.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

DonBones

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 02:44:10 PM »

That's why I did the surgery during the pandemic. Don't need to take time off if you don't need to go into the office for work.

Did you work remotely?

BelowTheMean

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »

Did you work remotely?

Yep, for me working during LL was no problem and I talk about it extensively in my journal.
Stryde Femurs - Debiparshad - Nov 2020
Nail Removal - Downey - Apr 2022
Journal (169cm -> 177cm) http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=65617

Current Status: Recovered, moving on

Bjoern77

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »

In about 2.5 years I saved up $150k.
That's a lot! What do you work? Meth Cook?

2.5 years... $150k... that makes 5 grand a month... are you a CEO? ^^ :o

In Germany it is difficult to surpass 100.000$ a year, even as a specialized Engineer / Software expert. Median earnings for academic Software Engineers are around 57.000 € / year pre-tax.

DonBones

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 08:28:05 PM »

That's a lot! What do you work? Meth Cook?

2.5 years... $150k... that makes 5 grand a month... are you a CEO? ^^ :o

In Germany it is difficult to surpass 100.000$ a year, even as a specialized Engineer / Software expert. Median earnings for academic Software Engineers are around 57.000 € / year pre-tax.

I wish! :)

The first 1.5 years of that time period I was a so called contractor. Here in London a software engineering contractor can make between £500-£700 per day before tax. At that time if you did it through a limited company the taxes worked out better than for permanently employed people, which meant that I could save around £4000 - £5000 per month. Last year I converted to become a permanent employee because of changes to legislation concerning contractors (that forced us to pay more tax) and because I found a good employer. My salary is not as high as during my contracting days but it still allows me to save around £3000 per month.

A lot comes down to me being in London, I suppose. This is one of very few places in Europe where a simple software engineer can make that kind of money. Even though I actually prefer Germany in many ways, unfortunately there is no city like London, and generally Germany is not the best place to have a career. On top of that, taxes are higher. This results in a lot of advantages such as amazing and cheap education, a very good healthcare system, perfect roads, good public spaces etc, but again it hurts those who want to earn a lot. I still know people from school who aren't any less talented than I am, but who only earn half my salary just because of where they are located.

Having said this, the really high salaries are in the US. There software engineers can make $200-$300k per year without really being special or anything. When I watch CNBC Make It, everyone in the US seems to be on at least $100k! :D I suppose this is why prices there are higher. Perhaps for many Americans $100k for a surgery isn't all that much.

Serilium

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »

Trust me for the vast majority of Americans doing a 30k surgery is unthinkable and unacheiveable let alone 100k. You are talking about the top 5%. Even in the top 5% an 100k surgery is a big deal and most well-off people still can't afford it. Self selection bias on CNBC Make It, few people make that much

70% of this country lives paycheck to paycheck and cannot afford 5000$ emergency fund
Pages: [1]   Go Up