Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do your legs get skinnier once you lengthen your femurs?  (Read 12330 times)

sadboy

Do your legs get skinnier once you lengthen your femurs?
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

This could sound like a silly question to some but it is as important as proportionality if you are doing LL for cosmetic reasons.
I have spoken with a few LLers and seen pictures of people who did LL and their legs seem to be skinnier if the surgery is done on the femurs.
Can this be fixed with exercising?
Also does your ass get skinnier? Does your body in general lose its shape?

I am thanking the people who will answer my question from now!

thetallerman

Re: Do your legs get skinnier once you lengthen your femurs?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »

This could sound like a silly question to some but it is as important as proportionality if you are doing LL for cosmetic reasons.
I have spoken with a few LLers and seen pictures of people who did LL and their legs seem to be skinnier if the surgery is done on the femurs.
Can this be fixed with exercising?
Also does your ass get skinnier? Does your body in general lose its shape?

I am thanking the people who will answer my question from now!

I think it has to do with muscle inactivity, when you don't use a muscle in your body it begins to atrophy and get smaller, if you were to lengthen your femurs or tibias for that mater, and barely walk the entire time of lengthening you WILL lose muscle and your legs will appear thin.

My personal plan if I do externals is to get to walking with crutches as soon as possible even if just a few minutes a day just so that I won't have to start from super weak muscles at the end of lengthening...  Or if I do internals, I'll use my EMS pads which is a stimulator device that can contract your muscles for you without you having to leave your bed, I can show you an example if you'd like, just let me know.
Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

I lost significant muscle in my thighs while lengthening my tibias.. and i started walking early too, im not sure but the way you walk with crutches is quite limited, and you use your arms a lot to help, it wasnt enough to keep my thighs active apparantly.

BilateralDamage

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »

I think his question is whether the muscle girth loss will be permanent even after doing exercise.  I'm wondering the same thing, but I do believe you can regain former size just by exercising.  Could take years after surgery though, depending on the speed of recovery and the exercises you're able to do.  A fact is that your muscle fibers are being stretched, and being stretched will cause it to lose thickness.

If you're doing your tibiae and your doctor performs a fasciotomy on you, you'll probably get even larger calves than before.  So be thankful that exists!

TRS

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:33 PM »

I guess muscle atrophy is only a temporary issue and since muscles are adaptable you can regain it through weight training. But the downside to this would be during the initial stages of the consolidation phase when you are "learning" how to walk again!

Hanna84

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »

I measured my legs before and after surgery, they are exactly the same, but they LOOK leaner. For me as a woman it's great. :)
Starting height: 1,58m
Goal: 1,65m
OP: 31.10.2013

Finished lengthening: 28.02.2014 Achieved: 9cm :-)  New height: 1,67cm :-)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30:31 PM »

If you're doing your tibiae and your doctor performs a fasciotomy on you, you'll probably get even larger calves than before.  So be thankful that exists!

Can you elaborate on this subject please? How does that happen? I guess i have to ask my doctor if he did a fasciotomy but is there any way i can figure out if he did it on my own? I cetainly would have liked that if it gives larger calves. Tbh it doesnt seem like my calves have lost much size at all but they dont look bigger either, maybe the enlargement happens once the frames are removed but i dunno.

But then i guess there has to be some negative aspect of doing a fasciotomy as well right?

BilateralDamage

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »

Can you elaborate on this subject please? How does that happen? I guess i have to ask my doctor if he did a fasciotomy but is there any way i can figure out if he did it on my own? I cetainly would have liked that if it gives larger calves. Tbh it doesnt seem like my calves have lost much size at all but they dont look bigger either, maybe the enlargement happens once the frames are removed but i dunno.

But then i guess there has to be some negative aspect of doing a fasciotomy as well right?

I wrote about this in my diary after my consult with Dr. Paley.  Also, you can google fasciotomy, you'll get a much better explanation on why it's performed on its Wikipedia page.  It's not done for cosmetic reasons, but Dr. Paley avoids doing it on women (because women don't like larger calves).

Also to add, fasciotomy is usually only performed when using internal rods.  I don't think it would be done for externals only.

I measured my legs before and after surgery, they are exactly the same, but they LOOK leaner. For me as a woman it's great. :)

No disrespect meant, but what about your butt?  I can imagine a lot of mass was lost there.

Wannabegiant

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

I wrote about this in my diary after my consult with Dr. Paley.  Also, you can google fasciotomy, you'll get a much better explanation on why it's performed on its Wikipedia page.  It's not done for cosmetic reasons, but Dr. Paley avoids doing it on women (because women don't like larger calves).

Also to add, fasciotomy is usually only performed when using internal rods.  I don't think it would be done for externals only.

I did check the wiki page and i know why they do it, but in the case of LL i was wondering if there could be signs or scars that would indicate that the doctor has made a fasciotomy or not. Also the wiki page doesnt really explain how it leads to larger calves but of course i could make an assumption as to why it happens, but "why" is not really important.

But i guess i didnt get that if its only done with internals  :( oh well..

BilateralDamage

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »

Here's what I learned at my consult about it (sorry it's not more scientific!)

I notice some patients underwent hypertrophy in their calves after this surgery.  Have you ever had this happen and why does it happen?

That's because of a procedure called Facsiotomy.  It's done to relieve tension in the tibiae when performing the surgery.  Think of it like cutting a piece of chicken meat- first you have the membrane that surrounds the chicken meat.  Once you cut that membrane, the chicken starts expanding and spilling out of it, as if it were being trapped in there.  That's kind of what this procedure does, and causes your calves to look girthier.  Eventually the membrane heals and prevent your calves from getting any thicker, but the girthiness will stay permanently.  We have no problem doing this on guys (which made me excited, I really want to have thicker calves!)  But we do not do this procedure on women ever, since they really do not want to have thicker calves (good news for you ladies out there!)

Wannabegiant

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »

Here's what I learned at my consult about it (sorry it's not more scientific!)

I notice some patients underwent hypertrophy in their calves after this surgery.  Have you ever had this happen and why does it happen?

That's because of a procedure called Facsiotomy.  It's done to relieve tension in the tibiae when performing the surgery.  Think of it like cutting a piece of chicken meat- first you have the membrane that surrounds the chicken meat.  Once you cut that membrane, the chicken starts expanding and spilling out of it, as if it were being trapped in there.  That's kind of what this procedure does, and causes your calves to look girthier.  Eventually the membrane heals and prevent your calves from getting any thicker, but the girthiness will stay permanently.  We have no problem doing this on guys (which made me excited, I really want to have thicker calves!)  But we do not do this procedure on women ever, since they really do not want to have thicker calves (good news for you ladies out there!)

thanks and yeah sounds like an "easy" ticket to bigger calves for guys. And training legs at the gym and especially calves is tedious and takes a long time to get results, at least for me and most people i know it seems.., I really dont get from that info though why it wouldnt be done for externals only as well, if there is no drawback to the procedure..

Taller

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 08:51:29 PM »

I'm surprised that Facsiotomy isn't done alone for cosmetic purposes.

Hanna84

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 08:56:21 PM »

No disrespect meant, but what about your butt?  I can imagine a lot of mass was lost there.

Unfortunately not. ;-)
But I walked a lot, cycled 2-3hours per day and went swimming. I guess that's why I didn't loose much muscles.
Starting height: 1,58m
Goal: 1,65m
OP: 31.10.2013

Finished lengthening: 28.02.2014 Achieved: 9cm :-)  New height: 1,67cm :-)

BilateralDamage

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »

Unfortunately not. ;-)
But I walked a lot, cycled 2-3hours per day and went swimming. I guess that's why I didn't loose much muscles.

That's great news!  No pancake butt for me after surgery. ;D

sadboy

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 10:08:17 PM »

For the people who mentioned fasciotomy, that doesn't look very pleasant when you search it...
Anyway,

I think it has to do with muscle inactivity, when you don't use a muscle in your body it begins to atrophy and get smaller, if you were to lengthen your femurs or tibias for that mater, and barely walk the entire time of lengthening you WILL lose muscle and your legs will appear thin.

My personal plan if I do externals is to get to walking with crutches as soon as possible even if just a few minutes a day just so that I won't have to start from super weak muscles at the end of lengthening...  Or if I do internals, I'll use my EMS pads which is a stimulator device that can contract your muscles for you without you having to leave your bed, I can show you an example if you'd like, just let me know.

Thank you for mentioning that. So using those ''Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators'' as wiki states it will prevent your legs from getting skinnier? Your muscles will stay the same?

Unfortunately not. ;-)

Were you exercising during the surgery? Also which doctor did you go to?

By the way I am planning on doing LL twice probably lengthen 5-6cm on the femurs and 5cm on the tibiae. What do you guys think, is it worth it? (no need to mention anything about how expensive it is)

Disobedient

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 06:48:59 AM »

no, I was hoping though..

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:36 AM »

My legs look skinnier when I wear fit pants and look at myself in the mirror.

But when I sit on the bed, or the chair, and look at my legs, I can easily tell no, they don't look skinnier at all.. I still have two chubby legs, only longer ones. This has surprised me a lot. I expected to have skinnier legs, but that didn't happen.

gettingtaller

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »

My fat legs have become super skinny!  I actually quite like not having bulky legs anymore.
Did internal femurs with Prof. Betz in February 2014.
Goal 9cm, but ended up doing 10 (whoohoo). Now off crutches and walking funny, but getting better quickly.

YellowSpike

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »

My thighs and calves are lean, but VERY muscular. Guys at the gym are always asking me if I play soccer, and ask me how I got those muscular legs. My whole life, I've hated my build...short and stocky.

I would love to lose some muscle, or at least APPEAR less bulky, because then I can wear even more slim fitting clothes to appear even taller.

Although I don't want to lose my butt...girls always tell me they like my butt so I can't lose that  ;)

gettingtaller

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »

You will very likely lose the bulky legs. Unfortunately you will also lose your ass!
You can build it back up though.
Goal 9cm, but ended up doing 10 (whoohoo). Now off crutches and walking funny, but getting better quickly.

YellowSpike

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »

Meh, that's fine. I'm dedicated enough that I'll be hitting the gym enough to get my ass back. And I'm sure I won't lose it entirely.

sadboy

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

My thighs and calves are lean, but VERY muscular. Guys at the gym are always asking me if I play soccer, and ask me how I got those muscular legs. My whole life, I've hated my build...short and stocky.

I would love to lose some muscle, or at least APPEAR less bulky, because then I can wear even more slim fitting clothes to appear even taller.

Although I don't want to lose my butt...girls always tell me they like my butt so I can't lose that  ;)

Hehe, I know what you mean about not losing your butt, I get the same compliment from girls also (even guys LOL)
But as gettingtaller mentioned we will lose it unfortunately.

You will very likely lose the bulky legs. Unfortunately you will also lose your ass!
You can build it back up though.

Where did you do your surgery and was it internal methods on the femurs?

onedayillgrow

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 05:44:20 PM »

Is there no way of getting it back again? I like my ass a lot dude, it's one of the few traits i am happy about with myself, won't doing squats like mad help get it back again?

YellowSpike

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »

Chris Isaak/Up said his legs didn't really change much at all besides being longer (obviously). So I hope the same is true for my ass, because I don't want to lose it. But I think that girls in general would value height more than a guy's ass. And I think that with some effort we can get it back.

I've never really worked out my glutes much before because my ass was always there. I just did squats and stuff to tone it. When I wasn't in as good shape, it was still there, just not firm lol. So I feel like, since I'm built a certain way, I should still (mostly) maintain my ass.

TRS

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »

I honestly think you will be able to build your glutes after LL by working out.
Well if it doesn't then you can consider buttock augmentation (ass implants)!

sadboy

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:06 PM »

Chris Isaak/Up said his legs didn't really change much at all besides being longer (obviously). So I hope the same is true for my ass, because I don't want to lose it. But I think that girls in general would value height more than a guy's ass. And I think that with some effort we can get it back.

I've never really worked out my glutes much before because my ass was always there. I just did squats and stuff to tone it. When I wasn't in as good shape, it was still there, just not firm lol. So I feel like, since I'm built a certain way, I should still (mostly) maintain my ass.

Same with me, it was already there. But I do work out and I do not want all my effort to go a waste. More people who did LL should tell us if their body/ass/legs changed shape.
If you did LL and you are reading this, please respond and it will be appreciated!

Sweden

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »

My thighs are light years from how muscular they once were. Calfs are bigger though due to hypertrophy.

My waist was also thicker/more muscular before.

I'm not as motivated as before to work out. I kind of lost the spark in my life post LL.  :-X
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

gettingtaller

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »

Hehe, I know what you mean about not losing your butt, I get the same compliment from girls also (even guys LOL)
But as gettingtaller mentioned we will lose it unfortunately.

Where did you do your surgery and was it internal methods on the femurs?

Hi, Betz back in February. Internal femurs. I'm
Still lengthening.

sadboy

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

My thighs are light years from how muscular they once were. Calfs are bigger though due to hypertrophy.

My waist was also thicker/more muscular before.

I'm not as motivated as before to work out. I kind of lost the spark in my life post LL.  :-X

I understand when you say you are not motivated. I usually have no motivation for many things but I force myself though it gets tiring.

Hi, Betz back in February. Internal femurs. I'm
Still lengthening.

I see. How is walking for you? And how much will you lengthen?
I hope we hear more from you, good luck on your LL journey.

Claude

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »

Meh, that's fine. I'm dedicated enough that I'll be hitting the gym enough to get my ass back. And I'm sure I won't lose it entirely.

Lol sorry but this seems like im in a conversation full of girls with the hairdresser. That's it, go get your ass back, work for it girl  :-*

gettingtaller

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

I understand when you say you are not motivated. I usually have no motivation for many things but I force myself though it gets tiring.

I see. How is walking for you? And how much will you lengthen?
I hope we hear more from you, good luck on your LL journey.

Hi,

Walking is good so far. I can't walk more than 15min on crutches without getting tired but my technique doesn't look too alien as I don't have much duck ass or wide legs. Plan to lengthen to 9cm, currently at around 8.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up