Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chances of a good recovery with the best options  (Read 1394 times)

Themissingpiece

• Visitor
Chances of a good recovery with the best options
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:31:40 PM »

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on this website for around a year and have read many diaries and am fully aware of how dangerous this operation is. It seems to me however that there is a higher complication rate in those who go to third world countries and use bad doctors. Reading the thread called "compendium of outcomes" kind of scared me a little but my question to you guys is what do you think the chances are of a good recovery with the most ideal and safe options? These include being relatively young (mid 20's), going to a reputable doctor (specifically paley), being in excellent physical condition before hand, and lengthening a maximum of 5-6cm (internal femurs). I know that getting back to 100% of your old self is virtually impossible so what i mean by a "good recovery" is being able to run, go on hikes, go on bike rides and workout at the gym. I should also add that this is all hypothetical because I am 19 and wouldn't be getting this surgery for 5-6 years. Thanks in advance!

HD

• Visitor
Re: Chances of a good recovery with the best options
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:22 PM »

Hi,do u have information about pili's internal femur?
He is a famous doctor without " bad patients" but there are only few experiences on this forum
And are about external fixator on tibia.

Android

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:56:39 PM »

Young, Dr. Paley, in good health, conservative lengthening amount... Let's add regular sessions with physio after surgery, and your odds of a good outcome is almost guaranteed.

Something may go wrong since it's not a simple surgery, but there are varying degrees of "wrong" (problems, obstacles, and complications), most of which are correctable without serious intervention.

This isn't to imply that it'll be a walk in the park, a good outcome doesn't necessarily mean a good journey. But your fantasy plan is as safe as it can get.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Themissingpiece

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:58 PM »

Thanks android. I was under the impression that was the case but just wanted to get some more opinions. Hopefully by then the synoste/ unyte nail will be available...

Purushrottam

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »

ndition before hand, and lengthening a maximum of 5-6cm (internal femurs). I know that getting back to 100% of your old self is virtually impossible so what i mean by a "good recovery" is being able to run, go on hikes, go on bike rides and workout at the gym. I should also add that this is all hypothetical because I am 19 and wouldn't be getting this surgery for 5-6 years.

Hello TheSoonToBeFoundPiece,

I had my leg lengthened (femur) internally with Dr. Paley in my mid twenties (Sept 2017). I 'only' lengthened 6.5 cm (168.5 -> 175 cm). Now its almost 12 weeks post lengthening (4.5 months post surgery). My gait has returned back to normal. I can climb up/down stairs easily (w.o holding the railing). I can walk about a mile before getting tired (I'm trying to increase this to 5 miles).

My flexibility is still a bit low (I wasn't very flexible to begin with). I'm trying to get my fitness up to the level it was prior to LL. (I used to bike for 4 hours, run 6.5 minute mile, run 3 miles in about 30 minutes, squat 165 lbs, do 90+ jump squats at a time).

Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

Themissingpiece

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:41:43 PM »

Hi puru,

I have been following your diary and I have to say it seems like so far you've had a great recovery and I'm very happy for you. I hope one day my journey can be similar and that you are able to continue to make fast progress in your recovery

Knik

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »

where do you find all that money for Paley or any US doctors ?
Looking for Pili

Zeo

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »

Having a career. That's why you notice that most of the people who pay for high end docs with their own money are in their late 20's. Those that pay for it on their own in their early/mid twenties tend to be exceptional. Your parents could always lend you too, but that rarely happens.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Purushrottam

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 02:47:28 AM »

Hi puru,

I have been following your diary and I have to say it seems like so far you've had a great recovery and I'm very happy for you. I hope one day my journey can be similar and that you are able to continue to make fast progress in your recovery

Thanks! My co-patients have good recoveries as well, just at a slower pace (because they lengthened longer). One of them is actually way more flexible now. I personally took the Silican 1/2/Boost supplements during lengthening which may have helped.

Purushrottam

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 02:49:04 AM »

Hey Knik!

I had a decently paying career that made me eligible for a personal loan (about $80k). The rest of the expenses ($10k deposit, hotel stay, food, etc) came from savings over a 3 year career (I had about $70k saved up.. $20k of which was liquid).
Pages: [1]   Go Up