Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LON on femur  (Read 5966 times)

Tiger9898

LON on femur
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:20 AM »

Hi everyone,  I have a question regarding limb lengthening method. What do you think about lengthenig with Holyfix method (monorail)  and then nailing (LON) on femur. Is that so difficult as it is written on forum by some people? Some doctors say  that LON on femur is easier than LON on tibia
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Tiger9898

Re: LON on femur
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 03:53:59 PM »

Anyone?
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »

Hi everyone,  I have a question regarding limb lengthening method. What do you think about lengthenig with Holyfix method (monorail)  and then nailing (LON) on femur. Is that so difficult as it is written on forum by some people? Some doctors say  that LON on femur is easier than LON on tibia

Which doctors say that?

And everyone here thinks externals on femurs are hell.

Tiger9898

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »

Age-19

Tiger9898

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »

Which doctors say that?

And everyone here thinks externals on femurs are hell.
Here is the answer of Dr Mehmet Kocaoğlu written in this forum. I think his answer is based on monorail system and then nailing
+In your experience, compared to tibial lengthening with the ilizarov frames, how much more difficult of a procedure will be femoral lengthening with LON
for the patient?
-Femoral lengthening with LON technique is much easier than in tibiaes (legs).
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:39:26 PM »

Here is the answer of Dr Mehmet Kocaoğlu written in this forum. I think his answer is based on monorail system and then nailing
+In your experience, compared to tibial lengthening with the ilizarov frames, how much more difficult of a procedure will be femoral lengthening with LON
for the patient?
-Femoral lengthening with LON technique is much easier than in tibiaes (legs).

That's a pretty short answer. He might have meant a multitude of things. The daily experience for the patient could be worse, even if he thinks it's easier on femurs due to surgical reasons. I'd recommend e-mailing doctors about that subject before making any decision.

Tiger9898

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 04:49:58 PM »

Doctor in my mind is Dr Serkan Gurcan, he is only doing surgery with LON method with Holyfix method for cosmetic purposes. He also said me that walking, mobility are easier in tibia compared to femur. But I said I want to lengthen my femur, then he said no problem we can lengthen your femur
Below you can see one of his patients after 12 hours tibia lengthening,  P.S not all  patients are like that. Everyone ' situation can be different you know
Age-19

RealTrump

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:42:23 AM »

Think about it friend.. metal frame around your thighs for one year.

I know the people here are crazy, but you'd have to be stupid to do external femurs.

Tiger9898

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:33 AM »

Please read carefully my post, It is Lon method, instead of 9 month it will be about 3 month and it is monorail device not ilizarov. It will not be around my femur.
Age-19

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »

Anything else than fully internals is comoletely stupid and barbaric for femurs.
Monorails is the worst nethod of lengthening and having external frames on femurs (even monorails) means that you'll suffer from pins cuting through your muscles. Cemurs are not like tibias, there are muscles everywhere and if someone thinks that having screws cuting through them is something easy then he'll learn from the hard way.

I've said it before, no respectable doctor does externals on cemurs, if some people here think that they are very clever to lengthen femurs with minimum cost with these crap devices (holyfix! what a name) then so be it. But if they end up cripples then the responsibility is all up to them.

Tiger9898

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 01:42:15 PM »

Anything else than fully internals is comoletely stupid and barbaric for femurs.
Monorails is the worst nethod of lengthening and having external frames on femurs (even monorails) means that you'll suffer from pins cuting through your muscles. Cemurs are not like tibias, there are muscles everywhere and if someone thinks that having screws cuting through them is something easy then he'll learn from the hard way.

I've said it before, no respectable doctor does externals on cemurs, if some people here think that they are very clever to lengthen femurs with minimum cost with these crap devices (holyfix! what a name) then so be it. But if they end up cripples then the responsibility is all up to them.
So what we should do???? I am sure that I will never be able to afford internal femur,it is hard reality. I already have  long tibias and if I lengthen my tibia, I will look so disproportionatal. I talked to the patient of my doctor who lengthened with Holyfix method, he even didn't say it is that much difficult as you said.  I know there will be much more pain, but he said it can be manageable with painkillers
Age-19

Body Builder

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 02:06:50 PM »

So what we should do???? I am sure that I will never be able to afford internal femur,it is hard reality. I already have  long tibias and if I lengthen my tibia, I will look so disproportionatal. I talked to the patient of my doctor who lengthened with Holyfix method, he even didn't say it is that much difficult as you said.  I know there will be much more pain, but he said it can be manageable with painkillers
Do 5cm on tibias and your proportions will be fine.
If you don't have enough money external tibias is the ONLY option.
Doctors, especially not the top ones, never telle the truth of the consequences of LL. Veterans like me try to tell the truth so future LL'ers have more information of what they are going to face.
For your own good don't do external femurs.
You'll end up with huge scars and almost sure malunions and your rehabilitation will be much longer because externals make pt even harder.
I don't think that your tibias are so ling that they can't handle aesthetically 5-6cm more.

Tiger9898

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

My height is 162,  so doing 5 cm  will make me  167 which is not worth to spend more than 15.000 euro I think.  I will withdraw from University,  separate from society just for 5 cm? if I were 165+,  it would be worth. But for my height i am not sure. Anyway,  before deciding which segment to choose, I will ask my doctor to introduce me his patients who have done femur lengthening
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »

LL mostly can't make your legs look disproportional. It's all in your head. This is why BDD is often mentioned here.

My height is 162,  so doing 5 cm  will make me  167 which is not worth to spend more than 15.000 euro I think.  I will withdraw from University,  separate from society just for 5 cm?

Try to forget about LL for now.

You shouldn't be doing LL when you haven't finished your higher education. You can't risk something like that for LL. People need to have their lives sorted out and be in a clear state of mind before they can decide on a dangerous surgery like this. You need to look into a psychiatrist or psychologist and live with your height until you have finished your education.

The Dreamer

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 02:49:21 PM »

Any doctor willing to do LON with femurs or external femurs,or involving crappy devices like monorails must be avoided at all costs
It is quite simple:the safest method for tibia is pure Ilizarov while femur must be performed with internals
I can't belive in 2018 there are still such scumbags
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

Tiger9898

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:50:57 PM »

LL mostly can't make your legs look disproportional. It's all in your head. This is why BDD is often mentioned here.

Try to forget about LL for now.

You shouldn't be doing LL when you haven't finished your higher education. You can't risk something like that for LL. People need to have their lives sorted out and be in a clear state of mind before they can decide on a dangerous surgery like this. You need to look into a psychiatrist or psychologist and live with your height until you have finished your education.
i will not quit my university, just will withdraw for 1 year 3 month.  There is really no way for me, especially for people who are below 165.  I am studying in the best University of my country but I can't concentrate on my lesson well because of my height.  I have been wearing elevator shoes which increase my height by 5 cm for 2 years. But you know what? Just one week ago, my friends said me that it seems like you are wearing heels. And can you imagine how it hurted my heart?  I can't hang out with my friends in the society because of feeling too short, every day when I wake up, I am checking the forum hoping and praying that I can find something new that can help me to feel good. I am really soo tired. And just 2 years left to my graduation day from University.  And  I can't imagine that I will be short till that time
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »

i will not quit my university, just will withdraw for 1 year 3 month.  There is really no way for me, especially for people who are below 165.  I am studying in the best University of my country but I can't concentrate on my lesson well because of my height.  I have been wearing elevator shoes which increase my height by 5 cm for 2 years. But you know what? Just one week ago, my friends said me that it seems like you are wearing heels. And can you imagine how it hurted my heart?  I can't hang out with my friends in the society because of feeling too short, every day when I wake up, I am checking the forum hoping and praying that I can find something new that can help me to feel good. I am really soo tired. And just 2 years left to my graduation day from University.  And  I can't imagine that I will be short till that time

I know that you won't quit, but depending on your major it might be hard to get back into proper shape. You could fall back on your studies. Also, LL recovery is really hard, and could take years. That's why it's safer to finish your education first. 

Tiger9898

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »

I know that you won't quit, but depending on your major it might be hard to get back into proper shape. You could fall back on your studies. Also, LL recovery is really hard, and could take years. That's why it's safer to finish your education first.
I will try to study at home, so that i can continue my education well,  I wiil have 1 year 3 month, I hope everything will be as I am planning.  Thanks everyone for your advice)
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »

I will try to study at home, so that i can continue my education well,  I wiil have 1 year 3 month, I hope everything will be as I am planning.  Thanks everyone for your advice)

How many centimeters are you planning?

Body Builder

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »

My height is 162,  so doing 5 cm  will make me  167 which is not worth to spend more than 15.000 euro I think.  I will withdraw from University,  separate from society just for 5 cm? if I were 165+,  it would be worth. But for my height i am not sure. Anyway,  before deciding which segment to choose, I will ask my doctor to introduce me his patients who have done femur lengthening
With femurs the max you can do without risking permanent disabilities is 8cm which add a real height of less than 7cm due to q angle
With tibias you can hit 6-6.5cm which is the same add.

So at your height 6 or 7 cm make no real difference so do the best to avoid longterm consequenses and when you have money and you want it you can always do another one LL.
Don't ruin yourself to become 1.70 than 1.68-9 because both these heights are the same.
Not very short but still short. So do the best, don't hunt 1cm more that has no real difference.

Tiger9898

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »

6,5 cm which can make me 169
Age-19

Tiger9898

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »

With femurs the max you can do without risking permanent disabilities is 8cm which add a real height of less than 7cm due to q angle
With tibias you can hit 6-6.5cm which is the same add.

So at your height 6 or 7 cm make no real difference so do the best to avoid longterm consequenses and when you have money and you want it you can always do another one LL.
Don't ruin yourself to become 1.70 than 1.68-9 because both these heights are the same.
Not very short but still short. So do the best, don't hunt 1cm more that has no real difference.
Thanks mate for your advice. I will think again before operation
I didn't get what did you mean by q angle
And I think second LL will ruin my proportion,  because I already have long legs I think
Age-19

Body Builder

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:15 PM »

Thanks mate for your advice. I will think again before operation
I didn't get what did you mean by q angle
And I think second LL will ruin my proportion,  because I already have long legs I think
Femurs are not completely vertical to the ground and that means that 8cm lengthening will give no more than 7cm real added height whereas with tibias your height will increase exactly the same as you lengthened (or 2-3mm less max).
So 8cm on femurs gives the same height as 7cm on tibias.

Mariobro

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »

Femurs are not completely vertical to the ground and that means that 8cm lengthening will give no more than 7cm real added height whereas with tibias your height will increase exactly the same as you lengthened (or 2-3mm less max).

You are wrong!, You dont have 45 degree angle femurs, at most 5 to 10 degrees, that could make just 1 or 2mm difference on height.

Masonm101

• Visitor
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »

I feel you man. Your mental state is much more important than higher education! So do what you think makes you happy

Tiger9898

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 06:51:27 PM »

Thanks mate for your understanding.  I was even one person out of 20 who accepted internship program in famous company in my country, however, I felt short there so I rejected their offer(( you can see that how my height affects even my career 
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »

I feel you man. Your mental state is much more important than higher education! So do what you think makes you happy

You can manage mental states in ways that put less at risk, including your education and life, than LL.

For the record, I'm planning my own LL for 9 years from now. So, 9 years of self-hate thoughts that will include height to try and keep under control (I'm also pretty bad at it). Not ideal, but realistically, it's what I can do to not risk screwing up my life just for LL --- trying to get it fast, when my life isn't ready, and cheap, with a bad doctor.

I do hope things turn out the best they can for you, whatever path you choose.

Tiger9898

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »

I am 20 years old. If I wait til i finish my university, master degree, then I will be like 25 years old guy with mental illnesses and then what is the point of doing LL for me at that time?  Till that time i will accept joke about my height which is 162,5.  If I were 170 i wouldn't think about surgery, But for now,my shortness has taken my whole life,  i don't live as a normal person, everytime it is in my mind and  I am 100% sure that going to psychologist will not help me. Maybe it can help me to feel better for 1-2 hours, however, after walking in society or seeing tall people, my height syndrome will start again. So going to psychologist is not a solution.
Age-19

myloginacct

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »

I am 20 years old. If I wait til i finish my university, master degree, then I will be like 25 years old guy with mental illnesses and then what is the point of doing LL for me at that time?  Till that time i will accept joke about my height which is 162,5.  If I were 170 i wouldn't think about surgery, But for now,my shortness has taken my whole life,  i don't live as a normal person, everytime it is in my mind and  I am 100% sure that going to psychologist will not help me. Maybe it can help me to feel better for 1-2 hours, however, after walking in society or seeing tall people, my height syndrome will start again. So going to psychologist is not a solution.

20 years old is super young. I tend to disagree with anyone this age doing LL because of two reasons: they generally learned about LL in the internet and decide to use all their life savings so far to do externals tibias in a developing country (those who have no plans of going through higher education), or they're putting their higher education at risk by doing LL, if currently engrossed at university/college. Also, you can go to a psychiatrist for drugs if you don't believe a psychologist can help (should probably try before, though). They can soften those feelings.

I also think you should listen to the advice of veteran LLers like Body Builder if you're really going to do this. If external femurs has a bigger complication rate (besides just being very difficult), then that is a problem, and you should consider external tibias instead. You need to be able to go back to your normal life afterwards. I don't really know because I have never deeply researched anything but fully external tibias (I find LATN/LON riskier) and internal femurs.

25 is also young, by the way; you're probably just too young yourself to see that. You still have your whole adult life ahead of you at 25. If you do it by then, you'll have your education completed, at the best university in the country no less, and it will probably be easier to deal with a longer recovery than expected, if that ends up happening. However, I don't know you or your situation personally. I'm just giving advice to the best of my ability.

Tiger9898

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »

20 years old is super young. I tend to disagree with anyone this age doing LL because of two reasons: they generally learned about LL in the internet and decide to use all their life savings so far to do externals tibias in a developing country (those who have no plans of going through higher education), or they're putting their higher education at risk by doing LL, if currently engrossed at university/college. Also, you can go to a psychiatrist for drugs if you don't believe a psychologist can help (should probably try before, though). They can soften those feelings.

I also think you should listen to the advice of veteran LLers like Body Builder if you're really going to do this. If external femurs has a bigger complication rate (besides just being very difficult), then that is a problem, and you should consider external tibias instead. You need to be able to go back to your normal life afterwards. I don't really know because I have never deeply researched anything but fully external tibias (I find LATN/LON riskier) and internal femurs.

25 is also young, by the way; you're probably just too young yourself to see that. You still have your whole adult life ahead of you at 25. If you do it by then, you'll have your education completed, at the best university in the country no less, and it will probably be easier to deal with a longer recovery than expected, if that ends up happening. However, I don't know you or your situation personally. I'm just giving advice to the best of my ability.
My situation is totally different.  I mean people around me sometimes make joke about my height and  there is nothing i can do in order to avoid it. I can go to psychologist, and i may feel better.  But it will not change people's opinion about my shortness.  My legs hurt tooo much when I wear insole.  And once i tried not to use insoles,but one of my friend said that it seems like you become shorter. I understand what you are saying,  you are right I am young to do this surgery.  But i don't wanna live the best part of my life (20 th)  with  short height.  I will never be able to live these moments of my life. I don't like taking risks but there is no option left for me. So far I have tried many ways to increase my height but none of them worked unfortunately. You can't even imagine how many conflicts have I ever had with my parents because of myf shortness. I have always accused  of them because of my genetics but while deep down i know that it is not their blame, it is just the unjustice of life against me. My peers enjoy their tall or normal height  and it makes me feel jealous. Why i should be embarrassed of my height?  It is just unjustice!!
And in terms of external femur, I will talk to my surgeon before surgery,  I have talked to his patients who have done external femur and actually I am just confused. Anyway,  it is better to talk to his patients face to face before surgery  to make final decision
Age-19

Body Builder

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2018, 01:16:08 AM »

You are wrong!, You dont have 45 degree angle femurs, at most 5 to 10 degrees, that could make just 1 or 2mm difference on height.
If you had 45 degrees angle the difference would have been the half you lengthened at least (8cm lemgthening for 4cm added height).
The difference between added height and lengthening in femurs is about 10% (7cm lengthening, 6.3 added height).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up