Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with LL?  (Read 1718 times)

blacksheepwall

• Visitor
Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with LL?
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »

Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with their result because they now want more height or felt disproportionate?

Or is there anyone out there who thought LL could fix their issue, but turns out it didn't?

Or anyone out there who just regret doing it?

I'd like to hear about your stories.

myloginacct

Re: Is there anyone out there who is unhappy with LL?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »

Or is there anyone out there who thought LL could fix their issue, but turns out it didn't?

You mean their height neurosis/dysphoria here, right?

blacksheepwall

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:48:03 PM »

You mean their height neurosis/dysphoria here, right?

Yes.

Android

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

Here's a paper that discussed patient satisfaction after cosmetic limb lengthening involving 63 patients. Here are a couple quotes:

At the latest follow-up, all patients were satisfied with improvements in self-esteem, distress or shyness and quality of life. They all stated that they would recommend the treatment to others of similar stature. When asked whether they would have this surgery again, 53 answered positively, and the remaining 10 were undecided

The cosmetic leg lengthening was helpful to all patients, improving their social capabilities and self-confidence, as reported at the latest follow-up visit. All patients considered their stature as normal and they reported satisfaction and gratification with important changes in their professional and personal life.

To answer your question, some do want a second procedure. Some are unhappy since they faced complications. It's not a cure after all, so what works for one person might not work for another. But for many, they are more than satisfied with the results.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

blacksheepwall

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:06:46 PM »

This study was produced by doctors who perform the procedure. Results could be biased.

Also

In our study we surgically treated patients with constitutional short stature, defined as a height under the 5th percentile for age and gender, without any dwarfism and/or skeletal deformities and/or hormonal deficiencies [5, 6]. Although short stature is not considered as a disease, it can cause psychological [6, 7, 16] and functional disadvantages, and can have a radical influence on a person’s life [17, 18].

Patients with dysmorphophobia or body dysmorphic disorder are not suitable candidates for this type of cosmetic surgery. This disorder is a distressing and impairing preoccupation with an imagined or grossly exaggerated defect of appearance. It is associated with high rates of occupational and social disability, hospitalization and suicide attempts [19, 20]. Patients with dysmorphophobia usually seek cosmetic surgery to alter their subjective perceived abnormality.

myloginacct

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »

As far as I've read here: the ones who had bad outcomes regretted their decision to do LL. Some of the ones with good outcomes said it was one of the best decisions they've made in their lives. Some did stop lengthening before reaching their goals because they felt they were starting to look weird, or because it was already enough for them (Auron's LL is one example, IIRC).

You may want to check out this thread.

backrandom

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 11:50:17 PM »

Check Unicorn888's diary.

blacksheepwall

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »

Check Unicorn888's diary.

Yea I saw, but I am mainly asking about those who have had no complications and still regret it.

blacksheepwall

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »

myloginacct

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 02:37:34 AM »

Yea I saw, but I am mainly asking about those who have had no complications and still regret it.

As far as I know, the only case I've seen like that was OldieButGoldie's.

Scary...

Scary because all LL is extreme, but doing it with Paley is as safe as it gets. Everyone should only do it with Paley if they can.

MirinHeight

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 03:14:25 AM »

most people with bad outcomes:
1. get surgeries with bad doctors
2. do not follow doctor's advice
3. lengthen too much
4. lengthen too much, too fast

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

Zeo

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:19 AM »

most people with bad outcomes:
1. get surgeries with bad doctors
2. do not follow doctor's advice
3. lengthen too much
4. lengthen too much, too fast

Things can still happen even if you do everything right, but yes I agree that for the most part the bad outcomes had one or many of these things in common. I would also add not doing physical therapy to the list, but I guess that goes with not following doctors orders
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:06 AM »

The hospital where they lengthen in Russia, a close relative went there in the late 90's and the place was literally packed, in countries like Russia and Korea it is very common. Some might disagree but the amount of Koreans and Russians I see with much longer legs just surprises me. Basically my point is that the good outweighs the bad in LL, much much more great outcomes than there is bad, and the bad ones are usually from Indian butchers. As for the unlucky ones with the good doctors, hell, even your average somewhat simple plastic surgery could go wrong in many ways. There is a risk to every surgery. If you go to a decent doctor with plenty experience and follow his advice and not go all Rambo thinking you know it all, then everything should go well. There is always going to be that percentage of people who are left unhappy and this doeant only apply to LL.

MirinHeight

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »

The hospital where they lengthen in Russia, a close relative went there in the late 90's and the place was literally packed, in countries like Russia and Korea it is very common. Some might disagree but the amount of Koreans and Russians I see with much longer legs just surprises me. Basically my point is that the good outweighs the bad in LL, much much more great outcomes than there is bad, and the bad ones are usually from Indian butchers. As for the unlucky ones with the good doctors, hell, even your average somewhat simple plastic surgery could go wrong in many ways. There is a risk to every surgery. If you go to a decent doctor with plenty experience and follow his advice and not go all Rambo thinking you know it all, then everything should go well. There is always going to be that percentage of people who are left unhappy and this doeant only apply to LL.

it also depends on the physician.
Dr. Paley, Dr. Rozbruch, and Dr. Mahboubian
have done a lot of ll surgeries with 0 complaints as seen on this forum.

the good definitely outweighs the bad if you have a good surgeon performing your ll
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021
Pages: [1]   Go Up