Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embolism risk  (Read 1775 times)

Tiger9898

Embolism risk
« on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »

Hi everyone, is there anyone knows how much is the risk of embolism on external femoral lengthening surgery?
Age-19
Starting height: 162,5-163 cm (5 feet 4 inches)
Goal: 6,5 cm femur lengthening

Android

Re: Embolism risk
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »

It's a low risk especially if you're doing bilateral externals. You're more likely to get into a car accident on the way to the clinic.

Methods like venting have been developed to reduce the risk as well, you can read about it in this study and also on Dr. Paley's site.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Tiger9898

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:57 PM »

So you mean external method tends to have lower risk of embolism compared to internat method,right? But unfortunately there is still  possibility,  I can't imagine the situation in which I can die due to embolism((
Age-19

Android

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »

So you mean external method tends to have lower risk of embolism compared to internat method,right? But unfortunately there is still  possibility,  I can't imagine the situation in which I can die due to embolism((

There's also a possibility that you'll die from the anesthesia or infection, but again, risk is very low. Another point about the car accident analogy is that for the most part, the benefits outweigh the risks by a large margin, even if driving is the most dangerous thing we do every day. Another example is prescription medicines with side effects, we take them for the greater good.

As long as you steer clear of taxing procedures like simultaneous quadrilaterals, you'll be fine when it comes to fat embolism syndrome (FES). Just remember that FES is associated with naturally broken bones due to accidents as well; while a possibility, it's uncommon. CLL being an elective procedure means that there's increased incentive to steer away from risk (i.e. don't create a problem when there wasn't one).

It's good to know and understand the dangers, but try not to become immobilized by fear. If you're ever in doubt, talk about your concerns with your doctor.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:35 PM »

Where did you find this image? :D pretty brutal if someone were to do that to themselves.

Tiger9898

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »

Actually my doctor also said that there is risk of embolsim in especially femur lengthening.  But anyway it is lower
Age-19

Android

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 08:06:18 PM »

Where did you find this image? :D pretty brutal if someone were to do that to themselves.

From a crazy martial arts manga/anime series called Baki the Grappler, the character is Jack Hanma. He has his limbs extended twice, from 193 cm to 213 cm, and then to 243 cm (pictured). Obviously unrealistic, especially since he becomes even stronger after LL.

Hamiltonzac

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »

Lol, I don't know why exactly but that manga kind of cheered me up. It somewhat makes LL look really cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up