Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to avoid career gap ?  (Read 3428 times)

how to avoid career gap ?
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:24:44 AM »

Here is my complicated situation and need some advice from well wisher experts here -
I am highly educated (top 20 MBA and BTECH) and do a high paying job in US but on work visa (h1b), h1b workers are not allowed to have a career break at all, so I will have to end my career in US to do the surgery (if I had green card then I could take career break and join another job in US, but for Indians US green card wait time is 9 years and I am 35 years old and though my company has applied for GC last year, I will be 43 year old by the time I get green card and neither do I plan to stay in US till that age and nor do I want to delay my surgery till then. So, I have applied for and received Canadian green card. Now - in India (am Indian citizen) and Canada (am Canadian PR holder) the two countries where I will do the post lengthening job search - the economy is not as strong as US and someone with a career gap of 1.5 years (I want to do both surgeries and then join back the work force) is a big red flag in competitive job market for respectable plum jobs (unlike US, there are lesser jobs and more candidates) - I am convinced (based on my research) that it will be a uphill task for me to get back to a good job surmounting the 1.5-2 year career break/sabbatical. And FYI - there is no company in the world that gives a sabbatical that long, the longest sabbatical is given by Deloitte, 6 months, so taking a sabbatical is out of question, career break is unavoidable. To avoid this I have thought of 2 possible plans - i) to open a store/gas station or something in partnership with someone and let the guy run the place and in resume I can always show that I was an entrepreneur for the 1.5 years and since business is not going as planned I want to join back work force , ii) I will quit job, start the external tibia, and once I am able to walk with walker I will join another full time 2 year masters program, midway in the program when I am fully walking , I will do the internal femur and after 1 year, by the time I graduate, I will be all set and walking and can apply to jobs without needing to explain a 2 year gap (6 months gap I can explain saying that I wanted to explore myself and decided to go for studies again). Any input from you guys will be appreciated, thanks.

Zeo

Re: how to avoid career gap ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »

To avoid this I have thought of 2 possible plans - i) to open a store/gas station or something in partnership with someone and let the guy run the place and in resume I can always show that I was an entrepreneur for the 1.5 years and since business is not going as planned I want to join back work force , ii) I will quit job, start the external tibia, and once I am able to walk with walker I will join another full time 2 year masters program, midway in the program when I am fully walking , I will do the internal femur and after 1 year, by the time I graduate, I will be all set and walking and can apply to jobs without needing to explain a 2 year gap (6 months gap I can explain saying that I wanted to explore myself and decided to go for studies again). Any input from you guys will be appreciated, thanks.

Actually a good question

Your better off doing option 1 for many reasons, you can get some income from the gas station, and you will have more time to devote to lengthening, especially if you want to do two back to back.

I wouldn't do option 2 because not only will you not make income, you will have debt from the masters progrem, and on top of that the stress and commitment from a graduate program is much more than it is for a gas station.

No one knows how they are going to react to LL, you might be in miserable pain and not even want to move, so i dont know how effectively you can study and concentrate for the graduate program.

Also a bonus that I strongly suggest you do to make the break look better on your resume. Start a youtube series or a online tutorial on something dealing with your field. For you it could be entrepreneurship or business. Start an online store or website and charge for subscriptions for full access to the videos.

For example khan academy has a lot of good tutorials, If i was in physics field i would make a video like this:

Honestly the videos you make and the online website probably wont have a lot of subscriptions/views/money made. But the point is not to make money, it's to say that you've been keeping up with your field and growing knowlege.

Personally if im in a job interview I would say something like this

Interviewer: "So what have you been doing for the last 2 years?"

Me: I decided to take a break for the workforce and become an entrepenur, its something I've always wanted to do and I felt like this was the perfect time. I also have been continuing my educaiton in physics these last 2 years and started my own online Physics tutorials course so that I can also help others learn, my phyics course company have helped X amount of people and we continue to grow."

Interviewer: "It says here on your resume that you did cosemetic limb lengthening for those 2 years"

Me: "Fckk"

Anyways hoped this helped.
I will be grateful for this day. I will be grateful for each day to come.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »

Actually a good question

Your better off doing option 1 for many reasons, you can get some income from the gas station, and you will have more time to devote to lengthening, especially if you want to do two back to back.

I wouldn't do option 2 because not only will you not make income, you will have debt from the masters progrem, and on top of that the stress and commitment from a graduate program is much more than it is for a gas station.

No one knows how they are going to react to LL, you might be in miserable pain and not even want to move, so i dont know how effectively you can study and concentrate for the graduate program.

Also a bonus that I strongly suggest you do to make the break look better on your resume. Start a youtube series or a online tutorial on something dealing with your field. For you it could be entrepreneurship or business. Start an online store or website and charge for subscriptions for full access to the videos.

For example khan academy has a lot of good tutorials, If i was in physics field i would make a video like this:

Honestly the videos you make and the online website probably wont have a lot of subscriptions/views/money made. But the point is not to make money, it's to say that you've been keeping up with your field and growing knowlege.

Personally if im in a job interview I would say something like this

Interviewer: "So what have you been doing for the last 2 years?"

Me: I decided to take a break for the workforce and become an entrepenur, its something I've always wanted to do and I felt like this was the perfect time. I also have been continuing my educaiton in physics these last 2 years and started my own online Physics tutorials course so that I can also help others learn, my phyics course company have helped X amount of people and we continue to grow."

Interviewer: "It says here on your resume that you did cosemetic limb lengthening for those 2 years"

Me: "Fckk"

Anyways hoped this helped.

Thanks Zeo, makes sense. Though I would have chosen a free/almost free masters program for option 2. Much appreciate your response.

Zeo

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:40 AM »

Thanks Zeo, makes sense. Though I would have chosen a free/almost free masters program for option 2. Much appreciate your response.

Yea either way the time commitment itself from a graduate program will be horrible. From what i read from the diaries, you need to be able to give 100% of your time to the lengthening process

It will be a horrible thing to not be able to give your full to the lengthening process OR the graduate program and you end up not acheiving your lenghtening goals AND on top of that you end up failing/or doing bad in the graduate program. It would be the worst of both worlds.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »

Yea either way the time commitment itself from a graduate program will be horrible. From what i read from the diaries, you need to be able to give 100% of your time to the lengthening process

It will be a horrible thing to not be able to give your full to the lengthening process OR the graduate program and you end up not acheiving your lenghtening goals AND on top of that you end up failing/or doing bad in the graduate program. It would be the worst of both worlds.

Thanks, that's true, though I have been able to get my engineering without attending any class for 3 years :) and MBA without attending like 40% classes :), though grades did suffer but never failed (got a few Ds though)

Zeo

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »

So whats your plan? you want 2 operations, I think you said your budget will be 100k for both surgeries including everything?

who will you go with, parithar? birkholtz? Pili/catagni? that new doctor in athens?

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:45:34 AM »

So whats your plan? you want 2 operations, I think you said your budget will be 100k for both surgeries including everything?

who will you go with, parithar? birkholtz? Pili/catagni? that new doctor in athens?

Plan is to have 2 surgeries, that is for sure and one after one (tibia followed by femur), doctor is what I am yet to finalize. I have time since I will resign on October 1st next year (when my stock and bonus is due) and start the surgery mid October, 2018.

MirinHeight

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:00:55 PM »

Plan is to have 2 surgeries, that is for sure and one after one (tibia followed by femur), doctor is what I am yet to finalize. I have time since I will resign on October 1st next year (when my stock and bonus is due) and start the surgery mid October, 2018.

If you can save enough:
Go to Dr. Pilli for external tibias (18k euros)
Go to Dr. Paley for internal femurs (90k US dollars)

currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:42:39 PM »

If you can save enough:
Go to Dr. Pilli for external tibias (18k euros)
Go to Dr. Paley for internal femurs (90k US dollars)

Thanks, I have apprehensions about so many Pili patients needing/doing Achilles tendon lengthening. ANd my total (including living cost) budget is 100K, so Paley is not an option.

U only live once

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 05:23:23 PM »

Hi there,

I have been in this exact situation just a while ago. Career at this stage of my life is very important so the only way I found to sneak out was taking a month off from work and having the surgery broken in two stages, unilateral lengthening!! Right now I am working again and everyone think I had a correction surgery. While having one good leg you can still work however some days are a bit hard. In three weeks I will be achieving my goal and preparing for the second surgery (maybe January or February).

Prior having your surgery just make comments that you had a deformity in your bones that need correction so people at work don't act too surprised.

One more thing I must advise is the study while doing LL as from experience I did my last CPA component while doing LL. it is hard!! At least it was for me ! Your brain is constantly fatigued and often times you will feel tired , specially the first four to five weeks. As you slow down in your intake of pain killer things start to improve.

Anyways I wish u good luck.
Aim high

Android

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »

My excuse is going to be that I need heart surgery to correct a birth defect, which is true -- one of my heart valves leaks blood and I can't even jog for 40 seconds. No one is going to mark my absence as a negative if it's about your (or your family's) health.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Dr. Sarcastic

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:46 PM »

prakash419-

You are a neurotic mess! This pea brained plan of yours has officially earned you a mural in the dumbass hall of fame...
User banned for usage of hostility/insult/name-calling/ toward other users.

Dr. Sarcastic

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:31 PM »

prakash419-

If it's true that you graduated from a top 20 MBA program, then you need to reveal what school this is so I can immediately fire any of my employees that graduated from there, because their degree is now completely worthless. This so called school should be immediately shut down, burned to the ground, with the school President thrown on top of the fire.
User banned for usage of hostility/insult/name-calling/ toward other users.

Android

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 08:15:03 PM »

Dr. Sarcastic, you should learn to be critical of one's ideas without resorting to ad hominem if you ever want to foster healthy debate. You're violating the first rule of the forums:

1)  Insulting/Name Calling/Hostility toward another member.   This include instigating/provoking another member into hostility.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »

Hi there,

I have been in this exact situation just a while ago. Career at this stage of my life is very important so the only way I found to sneak out was taking a month off from work and having the surgery broken in two stages, unilateral lengthening!! Right now I am working again and everyone think I had a correction surgery. While having one good leg you can still work however some days are a bit hard. In three weeks I will be achieving my goal and preparing for the second surgery (maybe January or February).

Prior having your surgery just make comments that you had a deformity in your bones that need correction so people at work don't act too surprised.

One more thing I must advise is the study while doing LL as from experience I did my last CPA component while doing LL. it is hard!! At least it was for me ! Your brain is constantly fatigued and often times you will feel tired , specially the first four to five weeks. As you slow down in your intake of pain killer things start to improve.

excellent input, thanks a lot. Actually I am already thinking of acquiring some professional certifications in my field while on LL.

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »

My excuse is going to be that I need heart surgery to correct a birth defect, which is true -- one of my heart valves leaks blood and I can't even jog for 40 seconds. No one is going to mark my absence as a negative if it's about your (or your family's) health.

good excuse. I agree.

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »

prakash419-

You are a neurotic mess! This pea brained plan of yours has officially earned you a mural in the dumbass hall of fame...

You are a good for nothing troll and a certified idiot.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 09:24:10 PM »

Hi there,

I assume you did internals? with externals (tibia) would it be possible?

Bleda

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 01:10:44 AM »

prakash419-

prakash419-

If it's true that you graduated from a top 20 MBA program, then you need to reveal what school this is so I can immediately fire any of my employees that graduated from there, because their degree is now completely worthless. This so called school should be immediately shut down, burned to the ground, with the school President thrown on top of the fire.

Seriously, why is this guy not banned? Literally every single one of his posts is him antagonizing/insulting some one. He's clearly just a troll.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 06:50:18 PM »

Seriously, why is this guy not banned? Literally every single one of his posts is him antagonizing/insulting some one. He's clearly just a troll.

And this guy also sends abusive PMs to people.

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »

Hi there,

Thanks a lot, very helpful. I have a few questions, would you be OK if I ask those in a pm? thanks

U only live once

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »

Yes Prakash ,

I use fitbone on femur which an intramedulary nail.
Aim high
Pages: [1]   Go Up