Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would getting too tall make you look disproportional?  (Read 2585 times)

farmerjohn1324

Would getting too tall make you look disproportional?
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »

I'm currently just under 5'8".

If I get to 6'2", then wouldn't I have legs that are too long compared to the rest of my body?

YungGud

Re: Would getting too tall make you look disproportional?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »

Who knows buddy ,depends on your current proportions
Height 5 ft 10 ( 178)
Goal 6 ft 2
wingspan 6 ft 2 (188)

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 11:32:28 PM »

Nobody will look proportional after 6 inches of lengthening.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:42:56 PM »

Who knows buddy ,depends on your current proportions

What should I measure? I don't want to wait to get to Serbia to know these things.

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »

Nobody will look proportional after 6 inches of lengthening.

So how do people do it?

I'm currently 39" from the floor to the widest part of my pelvis. The rest is 28.875".

Android

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »

What should I measure? I don't want to wait to get to Serbia to know these things.

On average, people have similar height and wingspan. Extend your arms to the sides, measure length. If your arms are longer than your height, you can lengthen more without worrying much about proportions.

If the two measurements are about the same, your legs may appear longer after it's all done. But honestly, many won't even notice, or more accurately... Care. For instance, Michael Phelps is 6'4" but has a wingspan of 6'7" -- he has relatively long arms, long torso, and short legs. No one stares and points at him because of his proportions.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

jerkey

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »

Hey,

Most of the height is in the limbs - refer to the NASA anthropometric data (https://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section03.htm). Their 95th percentile height is 190cm (about 6 foot 3 inches). Look at the knee height at 95th percentile (likely correlating to the value of a 95th percentile height of 190cm) of 60.9cm and waist height at 116.2cm. Measure yours and see if they correlate after you add the values for tibia/femur lengthening.

Other than proportions, no one should be recommending going 5 foot 8 to 6 foot 2 even in 2 segment lengthening because your function will not be good postoperatively and that is speaking conservatively. It may take well over a year just to jog again, mind you the physio during the process will be hell. On the other hand, there have been a handful of patients I've encountered including diaries of a number of patients here that has gone from 5 foot 8 to 5 foot 11, usually and preferably on the femur using an internal method. If you have the funds and the wingspan, you will have better function doing the 3 inches, or probably even 4 inches in 2 segments (5cm each tibia and femur).

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 04:36:54 AM »

Hey,

Most of the height is in the limbs - refer to the NASA anthropometric data (https://msis.jsc.nasa.gov/sections/section03.htm). Their 95th percentile height is 190cm (about 6 foot 3 inches). Look at the knee height at 95th percentile (likely correlating to the value of a 95th percentile height of 190cm) of 60.9cm and waist height at 116.2cm. Measure yours and see if they correlate after you add the values for tibia/femur lengthening.

Other than proportions, no one should be recommending going 5 foot 8 to 6 foot 2 even in 2 segment lengthening because your function will not be good postoperatively and that is speaking conservatively. It may take well over a year just to jog again, mind you the physio during the process will be hell. On the other hand, there have been a handful of patients I've encountered including diaries of a number of patients here that has gone from 5 foot 8 to 5 foot 11, usually and preferably on the femur using an internal method. If you have the funds and the wingspan, you will have better function doing the 3 inches, or probably even 4 inches in 2 segments (5cm each tibia and femur).

Is waist height to the widest part of your pelvis from the floor?

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »

Here are my measurements... What does this tell me about what I can add without looking ridiculous?

Height = 5'7 7/8", (67.875")
Knee Height = 21.25"
Waist Height (to widest part of pelvis) = 39"
Wingspan = 63 13/16"

Winterishere

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 03:40:51 AM »

Hi Farmerjohn1324,
Are you sure you measured yourself correctly? There can be some confusion to the correct approach. A height and arm-span ratio should on average follow an upwards trend of around 1:1. From your measurements you most likely had an error somewhere, as they would sit you somewhere in the 3rd standard deviation. For some tips to get accurate measurements you can go here:

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/how-to-calculate-arm-span-height-12539629.html

If your measurements were in-fact accurate then you most certainly have a very short wingspan in comparison to your height. How much height you can add without looking "ridiculous" is up to personal observation and opinion. Usually most people say around 3 inches on femurs and 2.5 inches on tibias is the most respectable lengths when it comes to aesthetics. This of course fluctuates dramatically between each individual. Good luck!

Source: http://www.scielo.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0717-95022013000100043

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »

After lengthening, would my arms hang to the same place on my hips?

Enrisbusken

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 06:30:41 PM »

Yes, you are lengthening your legs and they are below the hips, so there will be no difference in that regard.

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:45:34 AM »

Yes, you are lengthening your legs and they are below the hips, so there will be no difference in that regard.

Okay. Pretty sure I'm going to do 7 cm tibia and 7 cm femur.

Enrisbusken

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 07:05:05 AM »

Okay. Pretty sure I'm going to do 7 cm tibia and 7 cm femur.

Ultimately it's your call, but I would strongly advice against that much lenghtening based on what I know thus far about the relevant mechanics.

Your wingspan is in the weak 5'4 zone. Given this, your torso may become quite conspicuously "stubby" at 6', let alone 6'2. My advice is to take pictures of your body and simulate lengthening with "photoshop" type software so that you can see roughly how you would end up looking.

If I were you, I think I would aim for the 5'10-5'11 mark and nothing above it. It's an "OK" to good height almost everywhere, you will save a lot of time and money, and your arms will look more proportional than they would at 6'+. Perhaps you're willing to sacrifice your proportions and mobility in order to become properly tall, but consider it carefully before making your choice.

Perhaps I shouldn't be the one talking since I am betwen 5'10-5'11 and seriously considering lengthening myself, but given that my wingspan is well over 6', I would end up looking more proportional at a slightly taller height. In any event, proportions aren't everything--possibly you will find that you are totally satisfied with how you would look at the full 6'2.

Grab a tape measure and determine a.) your biacromial width (bony shoulder width, laterally from acromion to acromion) and b.) your arm length (from acromion to edge of the middle finger, arm pointing towards the ground). These measurements may tell us more than just wingspan.

farmerjohn1324

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »

Ultimately it's your call, but I would strongly advice against that much lenghtening based on what I know thus far about the relevant mechanics.

Your wingspan is in the weak 5'4 zone. Given this, your torso may become quite conspicuously "stubby" at 6', let alone 6'2. My advice is to take pictures of your body and simulate lengthening with "photoshop" type software so that you can see roughly how you would end up looking.

If I were you, I think I would aim for the 5'10-5'11 mark and nothing above it. It's an "OK" to good height almost everywhere, you will save a lot of time and money, and your arms will look more proportional than they would at 6'+. Perhaps you're willing to sacrifice your proportions and mobility in order to become properly tall, but consider it carefully before making your choice.

Perhaps I shouldn't be the one talking since I am betwen 5'10-5'11 and seriously considering lengthening myself, but given that my wingspan is well over 6', I would end up looking more proportional at a slightly taller height. In any event, proportions aren't everything--possibly you will find that you are totally satisfied with how you would look at the full 6'2.

Grab a tape measure and determine a.) your biacromial width (bony shoulder width, laterally from acromion to acromion) and b.) your arm length (from acromion to edge of the middle finger, arm pointing towards the ground). These measurements may tell us more than just wingspan.

My wingspan is 70".
Pages: [1]   Go Up