Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone with pre-existing medical condition went for limb lengthening?  (Read 928 times)

Beasty

• Visitor

Hi all, im 21 and I have an autoimmune condition called juvenile arthritis but it has been in remission for 2 years.

I have emailed a few doctors, enquiring on whether they are able perform the surgery on me, but they declined.

Hence, is there anyone who had a similar condition and still went to do the surgery anyway with the doctor 's consent?

LLSouthAmerica

Hi all, im 21 and I have an autoimmune condition called juvenile arthritis but it has been in remission for 2 years.

I have emailed a few doctors, enquiring on whether they are able perform the surgery on me, but they declined.

Hence, is there anyone who had a similar condition and still went to do the surgery anyway with the doctor 's consent?

Wow, I'm surprised that the doctors you asked are wise enough not to operate on you even for the massive amount of money that they would gain. Makes me think that there is hope for the world.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

mediocre

I'm sorry to tell you but I would seriously advise you not to look for a doctor that can operate you because eventually you might find one. Juvenile RA is very dangerous for this kind of operation (CLL) and I could say for at least 2 reasons:

1) Arthritis = this is a known/possible complication of almost any orthopedic surgery especially with CLL where joints are affected. Juvenile arthritis + arthritis = 2xarthritis (could be debilitating)

2) Systemic: I don't know if you have this type but Systemic form of RA would have possible problems = peri- and post-operative management

All the best!

limby101

Wow, I'm surprised that the doctors you asked are wise enough not to operate on you even for the massive amount of money that they would gain. Makes me think that there is hope for the world.

If youre in the 'hoping' business... keep in mind this surgery isnt that common in most countries, especially in developed ones.
sure there are doctors even in developed countries (usa, europe etc) that would do this surgery, but they are pretty rare.
in my country i think there is one or maybe two that would do it. and they keeping a low profile about it because the medical community dont see it in a good way or approve morally to doing it.
plus, in decent places where its common to be done - most patients are really short (like way below average) so this makes this surgery a more acceptable ethically...

on the other hand, i wouldnt be impressed by the fact that doctors wont operate on a patient with a medical condition... some (not all) of the considerations are the chances of successful outcome, having to be dealing with complications later on, risk of a dis-satisfied patient complaining or threatening to sue for any unexpected / terribly unwanted outcome....
so in a way, doctors look after themselves too, in a way.

LLSouthAmerica

Doctors always look after themselves and even each other. However, I've heard of doctors operating on tall patients, old patients, Asians women when we all know these are decisions to be criticised for different reasons. The greediness is too much and operating on one patient per week is enough for them to live a comfortable life.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient
Pages: [1]   Go Up