Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interested in leg lengthening  (Read 4540 times)

tallertree

Interested in leg lengthening
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:07:24 PM »

Hello

Im new to this forum and the whole concept of leg lengthening. Im interested in doing a leg lengthening myself. Im a 26 years old male and my height is 163cm so reaching close to 170cm would be great. I do have a few questions tho.

1. How long does it usually take from first contact with doctor to surgery?

2. Will the bones become weaker when the process is over? i mean if i can continue with weightlifting at the gym for example?

3. My arm-span(170cm) is longer than my height, is this god or bad for the overall looks when having a leg lengthening?

4. How long will i realistically be off from work?

Best regards

LLSouthAmerica

Re: Interested in leg lengthening
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:50 PM »

1. Depends on the doctor
2. If all goes ok, then the bone should be as strong as before and you can continue weight lifting after achieving full consolidation
3. It's great that your arm span is longer than your height
4. Depends on the doctor, method and yourself.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

tallertree

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »

Thank you very much for the fast reply. I have been looking into Dr.Guichet and it seems like you have experience with him, how long did you wait? how long were you off from work/daily life?

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »

1- Depends, I stayed 3 weeks in Milan for weight training, pre op exams and crutches/walking training. Other people I know only went for the surgery, and did everything elsewhere.

2. I took a year off from med school because I had no other choice. Now I'm back to social life, I would say I was more less functional 3 months after surgery and by 4 months post op I was walking normally. Now I am 5 months post op and do everything as before except running and weight lifting.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

tallertree

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »

Very interesting, how much does this surgery cost, roughly?

tallertree

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »

I have another question. I have been working out at the gym the past 2 years, strength lifting to be specific. For my bodyweight i can lift pretty heavy. Is this good or bad when considering LL? should i stop working out?

Body Builder

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »

I have another question. I have been working out at the gym the past 2 years, strength lifting to be specific. For my bodyweight i can lift pretty heavy. Is this good or bad when considering LL? should i stop working out?
It doesn't matter. It will make lengthening a little harder due to more muscles but it will decrease muscle loss so your consolidation will be a little faster.

But generally speaking, all these play a very little role.

Frogger

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »

LLSouthAmerica,

By "walking normally" at 4 months are you implying that your gait was completely back to normal?
Because I read in some diaries that it can take up to almost a year for one's walking gait to return to normal.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »

LLSouthAmerica,

By "walking normally" at 4 months are you implying that your gait was completely back to normal?
Because I read in some diaries that it can take up to almost a year for one's walking gait to return to normal.

What I meant is that at 4 months I was able to walk to the point that nobody would think I had surgery = no limp. I remember that at that time my gait would revert to being weird if I stayed seated for a long time or if I did too much training. This reduced a lot until now (almost 6 months post op). I don't feel normal however.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:55:24 AM »

Just out of curiousity are you still on the forums because you are planning on another surgery or are you just supporting the current members here and checking up on news?
167cm Morning & 166.7 Evening.
Goal: 182cm, Tibia and Femur 14-15cm.
Possibly in Russia during Summer of 2019.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 05:32:24 AM »

Just out of curiousity are you still on the forums because you are planning on another surgery or are you just supporting the current members here and checking up on news?

If you are asking me, I lost one year of university to have this surgery. And the boredom of not doing anything is killing me. However, I don't discard doing tibias some years into the future. Probably in Italy.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »

How did it feel like though? to finally be taller, I would imagine its like thinking your in a dream

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »

How did it feel like though? to finally be taller, I would imagine its like thinking your in a dream

You are the same but taller. In my case, I feel like I removed an ugly mole from my face (being too short to now normal short). That being said I wasn't too depressed because of my height, to begin with, it's more like I didn't like the discrimination I faced due to being short. Don't expect any magic but yes you feel better about yourself.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Frogger

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:27 PM »

What I meant is that at 4 months I was able to walk to the point that nobody would think I had surgery = no limp. I remember that at that time my gait would revert to being weird if I stayed seated for a long time or if I did too much training. This reduced a lot until now (almost 6 months post op). I don't feel normal however.

Sorry to keep probing, but what do you mean by "not feeling normal"?

MirinHeight

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »

femur lengthening messes with the biomechanical axis and how one walks. It can take a long time for one to adapt to the longer thigh bone and "feel normal" and walk with no gait. This is also dependent on how much you lengthen the femur by.

With tibia lengthening, one does not have this problem since the biomechanical axis is not changed.
currently 179 cm with a 6'2 wingspan
Goal: 182-183
top 5 LL surgeons: Paley, Rozbruch, Mahboubian,  Donghoon Lee, Giotikas

- planning to have LON tibias with dr donghoon lee in summer 2021

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:45 PM »

I don't really know if it's the little bit of tightness around the knee or the change in biomechanics. I walk with no gait since a while ago, nobody who sees me thinks I had surgery. I went to a massive family party and while everyone agreed I was taller (I wore my flattest shoes and before I used to wear lifts), nobody told me I was walking weird. They even saw me going up and downstairs. I also feel a little bit of the nail in my right hip.

femur lengthening messes with the biomechanical axis and how one walks. It can take a long time for one to adapt to the longer thigh bone and "feel normal" and walk with no gait. This is also dependent on how much you lengthen the femur by.

With tibia lengthening, one does not have this problem since the biomechanical axis is not changed.

Even if the axis is not changed, I would expect people with tibial lengthening feeling different. Have you done LL?
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Body Builder

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »

The biomechanics don't alter only due to axis but mainly due to added height. I felt diiffent the first months after I started walking after LL but I adapted to it soon.

I believe too that femur lengthening causes a little more difficulties than tibias in walking and especially in how walking looks but if someone does not lengthen more than 6-7 cm I don't think it will be a problem.
I wonder if with 2 LLs the walking becomes harder or due to almost normal ratio between femurs and tibias the walking is about the samee and not harder.
I wonder if someone from the few who did both segments could answer otherwise I'll answer personally in 2 years.

Dhdhdjuru

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 01:55:11 PM »

Surely one can get used to the walking. But my question is , will you ever get used to it?, I wouldnt mind walking funny for a few months thats natural after the huge increase but I would assume that you would walk normally after a certain period of time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up