Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the frame removal surgery like?  (Read 1154 times)

gastly47

• Visitor
What is the frame removal surgery like?
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »

Hey, i'm a 19 year old patient undergoing the lengthening phase of LL and i have about 1 month left of my 6cm journey here. I was just curious if anyone who has gotten LL could explain to me in detail what the frame removal surgery feels like? I know that my doctor performs it under anesthesia but what will I feel like after the surgery? Pain level if any? Stiffness? Relief? Please explain if possible, thank you

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
Re: What is the frame removal surgery like?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »

It's mostly a feeling of relief as your legs will feel lighter and less stiff. There may be some itchiness where the pins were removed and you'll probably feel a little wobbly/unbalanced when you first get walking again, but it's cake compared to the first days after frame installation.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Body Builder

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:07:31 PM »

For me it was really painful where the sites of the pins were. So much that fir the first 2-3 days I walked only a few and painfully.
After about a week I was almost painless.

However, I had monorails where the screws are huge. I believe that with Ilizarov things will be much easier.

Chris

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »

I had five monorail-pins removed from my right leg and three axial screws put in to lock my tibia nail while I was having general anesthesia.
When I woke up, I didn't have to stay in the hospital and could use my leg immediately. No stitches needed for the remaining pin-holes.
The following two days, 1x600mg Ibuprofen was more than enough for me to keep the pain level at zero.
Hope this information helps you.

I will try to remove the other fixator myself soon since I don't need the tibia nail in my left leg to get locked anymore.
If it's gonna be too painful, I'll just go to the hospital, but I'm I'm eager to find out first.

I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

Overdozer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »

Hey, i'm a 19 year old patient undergoing the lengthening phase of LL and i have about 1 month left of my 6cm journey here. I was just curious if anyone who has gotten LL could explain to me in detail what the frame removal surgery feels like? I know that my doctor performs it under anesthesia but what will I feel like after the surgery? Pain level if any? Stiffness? Relief? Please explain if possible, thank you
Had it done without anesthesia didn't even ask for painkillers. The painful part is when the pins/rods are being removed but it doesn't hurt that bad, you don't need anesthesia for that, ask for a strong opiate painkiller that should be more than enough. And after it's gone I don't remember feeling any pain at all.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up