Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Share Your Experience Of Hiding Your Limb Lengthening Surgery  (Read 11848 times)

llendpoint

Re: Share Your Experience Of Hiding Your Limb Lengthening Surgery
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »

I'm in a similar position regarding the height and age, so here is another perspective for you to look at it.

Our height is in the range of super short, not just short. Just speaking from a scientic point of view, people do have a subconscious impression of how capable a short guy is, no matter how confident you are. Unless you take your time for every person you meet, so that person finds out you are cool with your current height, they probably won't assume it before knowing you.

The short height is only a passive disadvantage, but no deal breaker for living to the fullest potential. When you actively show your personality, you can prove people wrong.

But there are so many circumstances where you are judged and opportunities slip by before you even have the change to show that you are unaffected by your height. And this is all passive. I guess this isn't something new to you.

So it is just fair and it makes sense to put oneself back in a neutral position.

Life is too fun and short to refrain from doing what you want because of what others think of you. This thought should not even cross the mind of people. This thinking pattern is cancer for a fulfilling life, being short ot not.
For my LL, no one will have a word of interference. They will be informed when it's already in the process or casually some other day, just so they know.

Be totally selfish with your wish to do LL. It's to widen your window of opportunities and options, and to be able to do social stuff casually. Currently, even just talking to people on the go seems try hard just because it really is - from a physical point of view. So yeah, do LL for yourself, and use these explanations (not justifications) why it just made sense to you to do LL.

And about the costs... People buy a new car or put themselves in debt with that money and start paying off a house that immobilzes them forever. And both of these objects are liabilities that drain money. You invest in yourself. This is the smartest investment people can make. Some invest even more money in further education from seminars and books that help them to become independent. You're on the right track.

I always say, you are 100% responsible for what you want to get in life, no matter your circumstances.
At the same time you a free to do what you want, without having to justify or explain why. If you feel like it, that is enough of a reason.

biggerdreams

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 10:02:48 PM »

Still very curious to hear more from post-LLers about their experiences!

Jumbo

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:12 PM »

I'm especially curious about post--LLers who were able to continue on normally with their life and deceive people into thinking their growth was natural.
Height: 5'2"
Wingspan: 5'6"

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 01:48:14 AM »

Sorry guys, you would have to be around really dumb people for them not to notice. Maybe people you've not met for years. But the people I know noticed even if I wore lifts before lengthening. And people know you dont grow 6 cm at 22 years in 3 months. It doesnt happen. Own it.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

biggerdreams

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 02:36:12 AM »

Sorry guys, you would have to be around really dumb people for them not to notice. Maybe people you've not met for years. But the people I know noticed even if I wore lifts before lengthening. And people know you dont grow 6 cm at 22 years in 3 months. It doesnt happen. Own it.

6cm is not even that much of difference for people to really know. Maybe people who see you often. Can you share real stories of when people have said something to you? Maybe a few to let us know what we can prepare for?

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 04:30:53 AM »

6cm is not even that much of difference for people to really know. Maybe people who see you often. Can you share real stories of when people have said something to you? Maybe a few to let us know what we can prepare for?

It really is a lot of difference but you won't know until you do LL, especially if you know people who are around your height. Suddenly you will be taller than them and they WILL notice. It is less obvious to people who are much taller or shorter than you. Sure.

Immediately after arriving home, my brother told me: You've grown like 10 cm, there is NO way you can hide this. (I'm taller than my dad who is 170 cm). 3 months after surgery I met with a girl friend, she told me: You look taller and you are walking a little bit weird. What have you done?! Then I met with my 2 closest friends who did know about my sugery and they said you look taller now, it really makes a difference (before I used to hang around them with 5 cm shoes + 1 cm insole). Then a week ago I met with a friend and she told me: You are taller, are you wearing lifts? I said yes sure, I wanted to look better for you ;) and she said No, your shoes look normal, you must have done something that's why you left university. I knew you wouldn't just have a year off just tell me the truth. I met with my uncle and while he didn't say anything (I tried to always be sitted around him) he looked at me suspiciously and looked at my feet but he never said anything. Maybe because we were in public, maybe he thought I wore lifts. So yes, 100% of the people I've met after lengthening that knew me before realized I was taller. To all other people I just tell them I had a bike accident-
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Jumbo

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 04:41:22 AM »

It really is a lot of difference but you won't know until you do LL, especially if you know people who are around your height. Suddenly you will be taller than them and they WILL notice. It is less obvious to people who are much taller or shorter than you. Sure.

Immediately after arriving home, my brother told me: You've grown like 10 cm, there is NO way you can hide this. (I'm taller than my dad who is 170 cm). 3 months after surgery I met with a girl friend, she told me: You look taller and you are walking a little bit weird. What have you done?! Then I met with my 2 closest friends who did know about my sugery and they said you look taller now, it really makes a difference (before I used to hang around them with 5 cm shoes + 1 cm insole). Then a week ago I met with a friend and she told me: You are taller, are you wearing lifts? I said yes sure, I wanted to look better for you ;) and she said No, your shoes look normal, you must have done something that's why you left university. I knew you wouldn't just have a year off just tell me the truth. I met with my uncle and while he didn't say anything (I tried to always be sitted around him) he looked at me suspiciously and looked at my feet but he never said anything. Maybe because we were in public, maybe he thought I wore lifts. So yes, 100% of the people I've met after lengthening that knew me before realized I was taller. To all other people I just tell them I had a bike accident-
These are the exact kind of reactions that I fear the most.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 04:54:31 AM »

Now they know I did LL, they moved  on and I moved on. They only cared about my health and as soon as they saw me walking normally, they stopped worrying.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

Iamready

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 06:24:58 AM »

These are the exact kind of reactions that I fear the most.

I don't even know how people think they can get away with hiding this surgery. Even an inch increase in height is noticeable. And no one is going to be walking normally immediately after this. Probably at least a year to be normal.

rasteride

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »

If I do this surgery, I plan to tell my immediate family. It's hard enough as it is to go through recovery and isolation without a support group. In fact, I won't even hide the reason I'll be gone for some time. While they might not like it, they will support my decision.

For all the others, I'll tell them something plausible like spine correction or leg angle correction, but I reckon given enough time, they'll get used to the new height and stop noticing it (I only plan 6cm MAX). I'm gonna be leaving my current job for this anyway, and will most likely embark on a new career path when I get back. One of the reasons I actually want to do this is because it's gonna be a crossroads for me as I hit my mid-30's. Perfect time to do it.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »

I try my best to hide it other than telling a few close friends and fellow lengtheners. I have told numerous medical professionals about it though, so it is contingent upon them not telling other people or having people overhear vicariously. As for the scars, I don't care anymore. I wear shorts and swim, so if someone can deduce from the scars then it is their wit that has gotten the best of me and nothing can be done.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

biggerdreams

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2017, 05:11:42 AM »

I try my best to hide it other than telling a few close friends and fellow lengtheners. I have told numerous medical professionals about it though, so it is contingent upon them not telling other people or having people overhear vicariously. As for the scars, I don't care anymore. I wear shorts and swim, so if someone can deduce from the scars then it is their wit that has gotten the best of me and nothing can be done.

But besides you telling people, what were your experiences about people realizing despite you not being open about it? Care to share some stories?

When you say fellow lengtheners, do you mean people you met on here or at your clinic?

What were the reactions of medical personnel?

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2017, 07:38:14 AM »

Sure. Fellow lengtheners range from members of LL Forum to people I have met in Florida and New York in person. Most doctors ask me why I did it, but still react initially in a professional manner. The only medical personnel who seem perturbed by it are young female nurses. I've seen them overhear conversations through open doors in the hospital and the look on their faces is a clear indication they think I am a weirdo for doing it....
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Jumbo

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

The only medical personnel who seem perturbed by it are young female nurses. I've seen them overhear conversations through open doors in the hospital and the look on their faces is a clear indication they think I am a weirdo for doing it....
Wow. Just wow. I am starting to reconsider if this surgery is even worth it seeing that it is almost impossible to conceal the fact that you got the surgery, it is almost impossible to pass it off as natural growth, and people you come into contact with seem absolutely disturbed by it. However, other people on this forum have expressed that they performed better with women after the surgery and women had no idea about their surgery until they unveiled it to them.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »

For me, it was worth it. It is impossible to conceal the truth from people who knew you beforehand (unless they are idiots or never paid you attention), but for the rest of the world, if everything goes right, they will never know you had surgery. In my case, the people that know I did LL were completely accepting although some were surprised, and the technician who took my x-rays noticed of course and was surprised people were having that surgery on my side of the world. Of course, she will gossip it like an interesting case but nothing more. This surgery is for yourself and no one else. Who cares what the others think or say? You can always move someplace nobody knows you. Maybe you should reconsider this surgery as maybe you are not doing it for the right reasons.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

biggerdreams

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

Wow. Just wow. I am starting to reconsider if this surgery is even worth it seeing that it is almost impossible to conceal the fact that you got the surgery, it is almost impossible to pass it off as natural growth, and people you come into contact with seem absolutely disturbed by it. However, other people on this forum have expressed that they performed better with women after the surgery and women had no idea about their surgery until they unveiled it to them.

Yes agree with the above, if you are afraid people will judge you, you are not doing it for the right reasons. People will find out and you'll have to be okay with it. Feeling content with yourself should outweigh feeling judged by others.

jojo

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 08:39:41 PM »

Dosent it comes Down to how much you do and how much lift you used

Jumbo

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 12:50:51 AM »

Dosent it comes Down to how much you do and how much lift you used
Well in my case, I want to do a lot, so it would apply to me. I want to get to 5'8", because that is approximately the height I was "supposed" to be had it not been for this condition. So I would have to lengthen my tibias and femurs each by 3 inches.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:59 AM »

3 inches is a lot of difference for people not to notice! But in other news, I met with a very short girl friend and she didn't notice I had the surgery, maybe because the difference between us was always big. Afterwards, I told her the truth and she said I'm walking normally and don't seem like I had surgery!!!
Went from 164 to 170 cm

biggerdreams

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:13 AM »

Personally I don't care what people will think. I've never been the type of person to conform to what I was "supposed" to do so it wouldn't be a huge shock to the people who will notice anyway.

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 03:48:11 AM »

That's exactly the same for me. For the people I know, it's just another one of my "radical" choices. After I tell them of LL, they instantly believe me. Not for a second do they think I'm joking or that I wouldn't be capable of doing it.
Went from 164 to 170 cm

biggerdreams

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 08:01:42 AM »

Well in my case, I want to do a lot, so it would apply to me. I want to get to 5'8", because that is approximately the height I was "supposed" to be had it not been for this condition. So I would have to lengthen my tibias and femurs each by 3 inches.

Have you decided what method and doctor?

Jumbo

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

Have you decided what method and doctor?
No I haven't. I just graduated from college so I'm currently without money. I was able to snag a pretty decent job, so I forecast that I'll have the money in 2 years if I'm very frugal and if I can get higher credit limits. After that, I'm thinking an American doctor or Birkholtz in South Africa.

biggerdreams

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »

No I haven't. I just graduated from college so I'm currently without money. I was able to snag a pretty decent job, so I forecast that I'll have the money in 2 years if I'm very frugal and if I can get higher credit limits. After that, I'm thinking an American doctor or Birkholtz in South Africa.

A couple years will definitely change your thoughts and priorities. I'm thinking of doing it early 2018 and although I could afford American doctors, I don't think I want to. I do recognize the advantages but the price premium doesn't justify the incremental advantages. If they were 75% of the cost of what they are now it would be a no brainer.

biggerdreams

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »

That's exactly the same for me. For the people I know, it's just another one of my "radical" choices. After I tell them of LL, they instantly believe me. Not for a second do they think I'm joking or that I wouldn't be capable of doing it.

Was there anyone you were worried about finding out? I am a fairly private person and although I don't care what people think, the only reason I would keep it a secret is to preserve my personal life from being shared with those I don't care for them to know.

Jumbo

Re: Share Your Experience Of Hiding Your Limb Lengthening Surgeryw
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »

A couple years will definitely change your thoughts and priorities. I'm thinking of doing it early 2018 and although I could afford American doctors, I don't think I want to. I do recognize the advantages but the price premium doesn't justify the incremental advantages. If they were 75% of the cost of what they are now it would be a no brainer.
Before going overseas, I will definitely check out American doctors first. 6FeetSoon was able to have his insurance cover a lot of costs with Rozbruch and get the price down to 75k. Just maybe, and I mean maybe, because I have documented medical conditions, I may be able to get it even lower with my insurance and an American doctor. So before going overseas, I think it's important to try and see what your insurance can do.

6FeetSoon

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:33 PM »

Before going overseas, I will definitely check out American doctors first. 6FeetSoon was able to have his insurance cover a lot of costs with Rozbruch and get the price down to 75k. Just maybe, and I mean maybe, because I have documented medical conditions, I may be able to get it even lower with my insurance and an American doctor. So before going overseas, I think it's important to try and see what your insurance can do.

i ended up paying 50k out of pocket.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4146.msg69127#msg69127

Jumbo

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »

i ended up paying 50k out of pocket.

http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4146.msg69127#msg69127
Wow. That's amazing, even more reason to try to see what your insurance can do before going overseas.

biggerdreams

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 05:09:59 AM »

Wow. That's amazing, even more reason to try to see what your insurance can do before going overseas.

Yeah it's a gamble. Your insurance could end up not paying anything so you'll end up paying full price. Awesome that 6ftsoon won that dice roll.

biggerdreams

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »

Sure. Fellow lengtheners range from members of LL Forum to people I have met in Florida and New York in person. Most doctors ask me why I did it, but still react initially in a professional manner. The only medical personnel who seem perturbed by it are young female nurses. I've seen them overhear conversations through open doors in the hospital and the look on their faces is a clear indication they think I am a weirdo for doing it....

3 inches is a lot of difference for people not to notice! But in other news, I met with a very short girl friend and she didn't notice I had the surgery, maybe because the difference between us was always big. Afterwards, I told her the truth and she said I'm walking normally and don't seem like I had surgery!!!

I read a lot on the forums from you guys or other members that they haven't tried running or hard jumping etc. How do you hide this from people? I feel like at least once a month I'm expected to keep up with others or even job to keep pace while traveling or other activities.

Body Builder

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 01:16:52 AM »

I read a lot on the forums from you guys or other members that they haven't tried running or hard jumping etc. How do you hide this from people? I feel like at least once a month I'm expected to keep up with others or even job to keep pace while traveling or other activities.
Hide from people that we can't run fast?
You use to run with other people in your every day life?

If you don't limp, noone will see anything weird on you even if you can't run fast or jump high etc. In your everyday routine (work, going out etc) you just walk or stand, nothing more. And even if some of the people you know (friends, coleagues) invite you in sports or something like that, you could say that you don't play sports due to a past injury on knees or achilles tendon etc.
At least that's what I always said and never had a problem nor anyone understood that I did something like LL.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up