Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Former femur patients: How much time did it take for your hip sway to go?  (Read 1764 times)

Penguinn

I can walk unaided (but not for too long) and I hate the hip sway.

(I'm using crutches for another month anyway, doc's orders)

KrP1

you will see improvements every month , if you started  in mid may to walk unaided  in around 2 months you will be walking long distances and in around 5 months you will be walking normal . But the recovery is diferent in eah person. I did my surgery in the same month as you , but one year before , in january i was walking unaided and in june i was walking completely normal.

IwannaBeTaller

KrP, what about your athletic ability? Can you run? For how long? Do you thnk you will get back to an impressive level regarding sports?
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Penguinn

you will see improvements every month , if you started  in mid may to walk unaided  in around 2 months you will be walking long distances and in around 5 months you will be walking normal . But the recovery is diferent in eah person. I did my surgery in the same month as you , but one year before , in january i was walking unaided and in june i was walking completely normal.

Took 5 months for your gait to become totally normal? That's awful. I hope I can walk long distances soon though, so far I can walk approx 30 metres before wanting a break.

Edit: Worth noting that my right leg is almost 100% when it comes to walking unaided. Left is the one causing me a delayed recovery. Even my hip sway is mostly one sided.

KrP1

KrP, what about your athletic ability? Can you run? For how long? Do you thnk you will get back to an impressive level regarding sports?

im very conservative so im not going to run before some time after the nails come out. I dont think that im going to get back to my previous level in sports. This is something that affects your atlethic ability for wrong , you need to think about what is more important for you , height or athletic ability and decide.

LLSouthAmerica

Hi Penguin, for me it took about 4 weeks for the hip sway to go away. Now I only have it sometimes when I sit for far too long, early in the morning but it goes away in minutes of walking. I think the hip sway is because of the loss of muscles (glutes and core) which stabilize the hips.

Because you've been so long without doing any walking, I think it might take you longer than me. However don't get discouraged. The main issue holding you back on normal walking is that you still use crutches and that you walk only short distances. As your bone gets stronger and you are allowed more walking you should recover your muscles and that should help you.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

Penguinn

Hi Penguin, for me it took about 4 weeks for the hip sway to go away. Now I only have it sometimes when I sit for far too long, early in the morning but it goes away in minutes of walking. I think the hip sway is because of the loss of muscles (glutes and core) which stabilize the hips.

Because you've been so long without doing any walking, I think it might take you longer than me. However don't get discouraged. The main issue holding you back on normal walking is that you still use crutches and that you walk only short distances. As your bone gets stronger and you are allowed more walking you should recover your muscles and that should help you.

That's good to know. I can walk without crutches already, but I'll be "officially" off crutches around the end of this month. The hip sway is my #1 nemesis at the moment. Doc himself said my bones are healed and the callus is consistent, but muscles (especially in the left) are lacking.

KrP1

That's good to know. I can walk without crutches already, but I'll be "officially" off crutches around the end of this month. The hip sway is my #1 nemesis at the moment. Doc himself said my bones are healed and the callus is consistent, but muscles (especially in the left) are lacking.

give it time , when you walk unaided you are stretching your muscles and making them stronger at the same time , that is the best exercise . You will recover quickly. Now you walk that way because your muscles are very tense and your muscle mass is weak. is a combination of these two things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up