Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tibia:Femur ratio references (repost)  (Read 1252 times)

jerkey

Tibia:Femur ratio references (repost)
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »

Hi members of LL forum,

First time poster here, I have a question regarding references for normal range of tibia:femur ratio. I read on the old forum that the normal range for tibia:femur ratio is between 44:56 to 48:52. I tried to find references for the 48:52 limit but couldn't, all I could find in literature pointed to an average length of tibia being 80% of the femur. I am wondering if anyone was able to find literature or any evidence on the 48:52 ratio quoted in the old forum somewhere, if you have, could you please let me know where I can find it?

Thanks!

Overdozer

Re: Tibia:Femur ratio references (repost)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:38:22 AM »

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3633342/

Length ratios of femur : tibia and humerus : ulna were remarkably similar (1.21 and 1.22, respectively) and varied little (<7%) between individuals. The volume ratio of femur : tibia was approximately half that of humerus : ulna (1.58 and 3.28, respectively; P < 0.0001). Lower limb bone volume ratios varied much more than upper limb ratios. The relationship between bone length and volume was found to be well described by power laws, with R2 values ranging from 0.983 to 0.995. The most striking finding was a logarithmic periodicity in bone length moving from distal to proximal up the limb (upper limb λ = 0.72, lower limb λ = 0.93). These novel data suggest that human limb bone lengths and volumes follow fundamental and highly conserved mathematical relationships, which may contribute to our understanding of normal and disordered growth, stature estimation, and biomechanics.
Pre-surgery - 167 cm, Post-surgery - 181 cm
Final arm span - 177 cm, Sitting height - 90 cm

Lengthened 7.5 cm in tibias and femurs and 3.5 cm in each humerus. Surgeries performed all external by Dr. Kulesh, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia - http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=1671.0

jerkey

Re: Tibia:Femur ratio references (repost)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 01:11:10 PM »

Thanks Overdozer!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up