Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: functional limb lengthening of 1cm  (Read 2690 times)

beyondqs

• Visitor
functional limb lengthening of 1cm
« on: May 07, 2017, 11:19:23 PM »

I am 18 and have a leg length discrepancy of 1 cm, my left leg being longer by 1 cm. I run long distance and have done taekwondo for 9 years, and have recently started muay thai, which involves high impact blows. This has been really depressing for me for the past 2 and 1/2 years, and feel I have to do something about it. I have done hours of research and know whats out there and what can be done with the medical innovations at present. The discrepancy is in my tibia, and most probably by birth. The thing I would like to know is (1) whether the best methods can have consequences at present and in the future,(2) will the bone heal completely back to its original strength, (3) will I be prone to knee problems, (4) will I be able to run like 10 miles a day( and i've really let myself down on running for the past 2 years), (5) and pro muay thai fighters are known to break baseball bats with their shins due to cortical remodeling; would I honestly be able to do that after the procedure, (6) what happens to the areas in the bone where the screws are drilled; will those areas close up with new bone, and will those areas serve as weak points. I can devote a lot of my time, i'll do anything to make the conditions better, and even spend as much as 2 years recovering and put everything aside for that time. I just want to make sure that I have no consequences. Thank you for whoever took the time to read this.

beyondqs

• Visitor
Re: functional limb lengthening of 1cm
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:25:44 PM »

And i am 5'9.5" and have no problems with my height.

doomsday

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »

1 cm makes no difference and 5'9" is a normal height.

Body Builder

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 11:39:34 PM »

Do you face any problem with your 1cm discrepancy?

I think it is a pity to break your bone and through all thia procedure for just 1 cm that most of the times don't cause any problem to people with so minor discrepancy.

But if you have problems then yes you can do LL. You'll need about 3 months with external only devices (it is the only serious solution for you, it is crazy to put nails for only 1 cm) and then you'll be ok. It would be like a fracture, nothing more or less. I don't think that you are going to have long term consequenses.

Bander72

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 11:49:56 PM »

Id consider some chiropracture first. I had a 5mm discrepensy that he fixed up. And of last resort get a 1 cm insole becuase it defitnly not worth it unless your rich to do this surgery to fix your  1 cm discrepency.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 12:01:23 AM »

Thanks for your replies
I understand that 1 cm is common and can be tolerated, but it's more psychological. Also looking at the x ray , naturally because of the pelvic tilt there is a slight tilt of the spinal column. And also when the longer I run, i begin to feel a pull of the muscles above above the pelvis , and my body slightly turns at an angle.
As long as there is no major consequences at present or future, and I have the time and resources. I'll most probably undergo it.
And my bone plates haven't closed yet, so is there a way to squeeze 5mm or so using growth stimulators just on the right tibia and fibula. Also If anyone wants to convey any other consequences or problems, as harsh as it may be, PLEASE DO.

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:30 AM »

Would an external device be safer or an internal device such as the precise nail be a better option for my case?

Chris

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:43:54 AM »

Would an external device be safer or an internal device such as the precise nail be a better option for my case?
For 1cm, do external only. It will take you 3-4 month, but then you're done. Any internal method, LON and LATN would be way to invasive for what you want.
I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:52:16 AM »

DO you mean the ilizarov apparatus or some other external device?

Body Builder

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:58:06 AM »

Use a monorail device. Much easier to bear it than Ilizarov and for 1cm it will be stable and can cause any malunion.
For your case it is the best solution.

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 01:24:49 AM »

I'm still scared about any external device, because there are a lot of people who say there are long term consequences involved with it. And the muscle tissues are getting severed. There could also be nerve complications which I am scared about too.

Penguinn

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »

1cm isn't worth getting surgery. Lots of people have discrepancies <1cm.

The Kaiser

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 09:07:51 AM »

I'm still scared about any external device, because there are a lot of people who say there are long term consequences involved with it. And the muscle tissues are getting severed. There could also be nerve complications which I am scared about too.
You can do it. But, will you sacrifice all the years you trained for just 1 cm? your balance and strength will diminished for only 1 cm. You will recover fast for 1 cm but not like before, the bone will be stronger but muscles and soft tissues no, do not attempt the surgery you're fine, Good luck

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »

Again thanks for replies. That's what I was scared about too. It was only after getting the x ray yesterday, I was a bit depressed again after coming in terms with it. Anderson Silva and Kevin Ware both snapped their tibia and fibula in half along with muscle and soft tissue damage and pretty much made a full recovery.
I am a chicken when it comes to dealing with and medical things. The more knowledge you have about it the worse it is. I would want to have it done without any complications. I know I really shouldn't do it, but i will ask questions, if there is a safe possibility.

Would it be possible to use the precise nail, and instead of increasing it 1 mm a day, increase it at a much much lower rate where the muscles and other tissues regenerate at a very safe rate. But then there is a problem of the bone joining together, because of the slow pace.

And another stupid question, I'am actually 17 and 2 months, I am 5'9 and 3/4 exact, an ectomorph, and lean muscular.
My growth plates havn't closed yet so is there a chance of applying or stimulating growth on the bone some way.
Also I hit my growth spurt later than most people. Grew 3 inches between 14-15, 3.5 inches between 15-16, and grew a 1/2 an inch 16-present well thats not important.
So the thing is males from my mom's side have tended to grow during their college years. Especially my uncle, who was 5'7" at the time before college and grew 6 inches in college to 6'1". I'm not concerned about my height at all in fact I feel this height is perfect.
But in the chance that genetics causes me to grow a bit more, is it possible to fix the discrepancy some how.

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »

Even if it as much as just 5 mm some way, I would be more than happy.

vegeta24

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »

A 1 cm disprencacy is not worth getting this surgery for, period. Do not dwell on something that 100% of the population will not even notice.

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 02:04:49 PM »

Your right, I am the only person to notice. Even the doctors didn't notice at first glance, when I showed them the pelvis.
I am just worried there might be some spinal problems in the future.
I got the x ray taken yesterday, and they showed it to me, have an appointment with the doctor today, but have been asking questions to cope with the depression. I just feel really anxious and bummed out and even didn't go to school today.

Body Builder

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 02:36:25 PM »

For a last time.
You can't do anything physically to reduce this discrepancy.
The choices is to live with that, wear a small lift of 1 cm or do LL.

In case of doing LL, having an internal nail is much more invasive than puting a monorail for about 3 months and it will also need another big surgery in 1 year after the first surgery to put it out while monorail needs a very easy and safe surgery to been removed
Also, it doesn't matter if you lengthen at 1mm or less (not more of course), 1 cm is so minimal that it won't cause you any nerve or muscle damage.

So if you want LL, external is the only real solution for you and monorail the best because ilizarov is too much for only 1 cm.
After all these I don't think you still have any question.

Imo leave it as it is but if you feel pains on the back or it causes you scoliosis, dedicate 3 months of your life and fix it once and for all.
Things are simple.

asfastaslight

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »

correcting improper limb ratio is probably not like CLL I'm shocked that people have forgotten.  It's very important to have limbs the same length while your young you maybe doing this stuff but your upper body and hips are going to be crippled.  The idea of having uneven limb length and blocking a round house kick with your shin is cringeworthy!

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 08:14:00 PM »

Just an update, officially I have a 11mm discrepancy, and my  right femur is 6 mm shorter and my right tibia is 5 mm shorter. Not good news, but I'll deal with it: no surgeries.
The only positive thing , my growth plates haven't closed yet and I'm having slight uncomfortably on the top end of my tibia which could mean it's growing a bit.
Anyways I wouldn't want to sacrifice my leg strength and performance over lengthening it a bit.
I'll just wear a 7mm lift.
Hopefully there might be some kind of medical advance in the future which could slightly increase the legth of bones by just several mm without consequences.

And if are doing the slightest lengthening know that there will always be a problem.Your muscles and nerves will definitely be affected, even with the best healing genetics.

For all you people who want to increase your height specifically for girls, it's a sacrifice between height , or strength, the ability the do amazing stuff, like fight, parkour......

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 08:43:48 PM »

I had a 1.4 cm discrepancy and it didn't cause me problems at all. This problem only arose because you measured your femurs but otherwise you would be a functional adult with such a small discrepancy. Human beings are not perfectly symmetrical.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

beyondqs

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 02:18:34 AM »

Hi, I don't understand where you mentioned that you "had" a 1.4 cm discrepancy. And the measurements were by a radiologist from an x-ray. If you still do have the discrepancy and you're in your adulthood, has it caused scoliosis?
Thanks

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

When I was a child I had back pain and they told me I had mild scoliosis. After adolescent it completely resolved, I was completely normal. When doing exams for LL they calculated my leg length and my left was 1.4 cm shorter than the other (femur + tibias). So I told the doctor I wanted to reduce it and so I clicked my left leg more than my right therefore reducing this discrepancy to about 8 mm I don't remember well. That's why I said had, but I was completely optional as I had no problems walking or scoliosis in adulthood.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

fauzdar65

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »

Hi,
I have a discrepancy of 6+cm all in the left tibia . I would advise you not to correct if discrepancy is so less.  I am currently undergoing lengthening with Dr Parihar in Mumbai.  My discrepancy is due to growth arrest caused by other surgeries done on the foot earlier in my life. I had a increasing discrepancy since i was around 10. Had a 2 cm discrepancy when i was 13. But it didn't really didn't bother me till it reached about 4cm . I starting getting tired easily and developed a limp. I started wearing a shoe lift and it was fine for few years after which i stopped the shoe lifts ,then developed mild scoliosis. Now had no option so undergoing lengthening. This is a really time consuming process and lots of possible complications. I am doing this only because the discrepancy was causing major functional problems. If you are having any functional issue then go for it. Prefer internal method if you can afford it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up