Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do if you became permanently disabled?  (Read 14178 times)

alps

What would you do if you became permanently disabled?
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

I know most of us here hate life so much that we want to undergo LL.
All goes well => fine.

But what would you really do if you got disabled permanently?
Like say you get 5cm and something goes wrong and you have to limp henceforth and the best doctors can't fix you.
Say you can't run, jog or anything, but can merely walk very slowly.

I'm thinking I'll end my life. But hey, even suicide is difficult if you can't walk.

ChrisIsaak

Re: What would you do if you became permanently disabled?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »

You can't get disabled permanently if you go to a good, credible doctor - which is why you have to choose your surgeon very carefully. You might face complications even with a good surgeon, but he will treat those complications properly. If a doctor has an "Everything is okay" attitude when something is clearly going wrong - run away from that doctor. Learn from other peoples' diaries and don't go to a doctor with the attitude I mentioned above and don't go to a doctor without a track record (unless you trust him completely when you meet him, as happened in my case)

The Ilizarov method wasn't discovered yesterday. All this "You might get disabled" talk comes from people who haven't done their research properly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:09:09 PM by ChrisIsaak »

alps

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:13:35 PM »

Well, you can get disabled permanently even with a good doctor. I'm sure if you look up Paley's worst case, it would be frightening.

TRS

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:17:18 PM »

You can't get disabled permanently if you go to a good, credible doctor - which is why you have to choose your surgeon very carefully. You might face complications even with a good surgeon, but he will treat those complications properly.

The Ilizarov method wasn't discovered yesterday. All this "You might get disabled" talk comes from people who haven't done their research properly.

I agree that with a good doctor, chances of becoming disable is very slim to none. But all surgeries do have inherent risks and it is always a good idea to consider the worst case scenario and plan on dealing with the potential adverse situation before proceeding with the surgery (positive pessimism).   

BilateralDamage

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »

Being tall > being short > being disabled

One of the reasons why this surgery is so difficult for people to fathom us doing.  If I were to become disabled, I would see every doctor and spend all my resources and go into to debt to find a cure, even if it means having my leg replaced by a robotic leg (I know it would never come to this, but I would do it if it were necessary).  I couldn't live with myself being disabled.

HK

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »

Hi,

I've talked to one of Guichet's former patients who can't run anymore and has a slight limp. It's difficult to say how she handles it...There is also one of Betz's former patients who was fine though she told me about a few patients who had major complications and still had significant issues now. There is also a Paley's patient who reported long-term problems on old forum .
Things can go wrong even with the bests; that's the first thing Guichet writes in the forms he sends via email. There are two types of problems: the complications after the surgery, and all the uncertainty about long term effects and how LL affects your life. On the latter issue, nobody really knows.
If your height neurosis is more important than these possible issues, go with a doctor who has a minimum of track record, who is absolutely frank about the complications (ie who doesn't say things can't go wrong) and who seems to provide good aftercare. You should also talk with some surgeons who don't do LL, they explain perfectly how our body work and they won't talk business.

But if suicide is an option to you, short and depressed, if you have major complications please don't do LL. You will find other ways to be happy.

HK

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »

Before LL my height neurosis got so bad (after building up for more than five years, since sophomore year high school through the end of college) that I started mentioning suicide too. I never actually planned suicide, but I did hurt myself physically. I hit myself because I was feeling totally worthless and desperate. Looking back at it now, it seems so far away, but I'm ashamed to say it really happened. I'll be honest about it. LL has solved my psychological problem altogether. It's gone. I feel normal now. I feel a "healthy" level of confidence that has changed the way I treat people; I'm kinder, I smile much more often, I'm helpful and grateful. I'm grateful for the things I have; health, family and friends. I have become a better son and grandson. I feel like how I'm supposed to be, like a man, moreso like a human being. I have a healthy self respect, not cky or overconfident, but feet on the ground. I'll start working and making money in a short while and I feel happy that I'll be able to take care of my family now, just as they took care of me when I needed them the most. I've worked before, but part time. This will be my first full time job after college and I'm already excited. Life is good, it's a gift, and it takes time and experience for an individual to start appreciating it.

Being in major depression doesn't mean that you're deemed unfit for LL. This is indeed true for some people, but unlike the way some people said "Your psychological problems will continue after LL, you'll find some other thing to bother yourself about" before my surgery, LL has fixed all my psychological problems. I knew it would. My body felt like a prison and it doesn't anymore. One wouldn't understand what I mean by this unless they've been in the same situation. I was in a difficult mental condition, and I knew the way out all from the beginning. I just had to convince others.

Anyone can go through depression and hard times. We're all human. Every single case is very individual and one must find the way out by asking and guiding themselves.

Look, I'm 172 cm-ish now. Some people want to do their first LL at that height or at a taller height. I'm still not "tall". But I feel okay. I don't need to be tall.  I just needed to feel "normal". (I'm not saying "short is abnormal", I would never make such a shallow claim - all I'm saying is how I used to feel and how it changed).

I read a Turkish forum everyday and they occasionally open threads bashing short men there. It's a disgrace. I used to feel angry everytime I read things like that. Now it's a distant memory and it just makes me feel sad the way how shallow some people are, and how it hurts other people's feelings so much. So I PM them and tell them why their posts are such disgraceful, and I try to make them understand.

Kudos to all people who are strong enough to endure this, and I appreciate them for not caring about what other people think about them. I have the same mental frame right now, but I had to go through certain things to obtain it.

This is not a success story or a heroic journey, and I'm not a role model. I'm a very ordinary guy who has actually started to enjoy being a very ordinary guy, blending in with the crowd with ease and sharing our journey together that is life.

@HK

Thank you for sharing your information regarding patients having troubles even with the best doctors. I hadn't heard about these cases before. Please share any updates about their situation if you hear anything new about them. I really hope they can make the best recovery as soon as possible.

shawty

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »

Let me ask y'all this. ..the people who suffer complications; is it because they did too much lengthening?  Not follow the doctor's orders? go with an inexperienced doctor?  Maybe they where the first patient?  Etc.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:57:35 PM »

I joined the wrestling team and took judo and sambo classes, and did abundant weight lifting so I could use my frustration to make positive results. If I became permanently disabled, I wouldn't be suicidal, but it's something I imagine would be a great struggle to come to terms with.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:11:34 AM »

I joined the wrestling team and took judo and sambo classes, and did abundant weight lifting so I could use my frustration to make positive results. If I became permanently disabled, I wouldn't be suicidal, but it's something I imagine would be a great struggle to come to terms with.

Doesn't being short actually benefit one a lot in ground fighting? Your center of gravity is close to the ground.. It could help a lot in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo and Wrestling, I suppose. I watch UFC a lot so it's a very interesting topic for me.

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »

Doesn't being short actually benefit one a lot in ground fighting? Your center of gravity is close to the ground.. It could help a lot in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Sambo and Wrestling, I suppose. I watch UFC a lot so it's a very interesting topic for me.

It was definitely advantageous in a lot of situations with high school and college wrestling and judo. It was also easier to prevent armbars and such in sambo because of the shorter limb length making it harder for people to get a good grip.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Disobedient

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 01:13:35 AM »

it always hard to accept that could be for permanent.. they we'll always tell you they may make it oneday and walk again..

since I'm paralyzed right now, so I know how it feels, it's really harder than it seems, and  it just make me realized how simple thing could steal your dignity when there is no accessibility..

shawty

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:44:57 AM »

it always hard to accept that could be for permanent.. they we'll always tell you they may make it oneday and walk again..

since I'm paralyzed right now, so I know how it feels, it's really harder than it seems, and  it just make me realized how simple thing could steal your dignity when there is no accessibility..

What do you mean you're paralyzed?

Disobedient

Re: common sense,common sense,common sense,common sense,common sense
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 10:18:42 PM »

What do you mean you're paralyzed?

disabled?

anyway, I'm not good in English, but you should use your common sense to determine what I mean ...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:22:35 PM by Disobedient »

Moubgf

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 10:46:15 AM »

stop speak in foreign language.

Are you disabled how,when, how is your current status. more info plz

RGKEY

• just take it day by day
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »

To undergo to LL you must be willing to accept all the risk as minimum they can be. There are still risks period. But again just being alive you take thw risk to die)) or even when you drive there is many risks. There are not guarantees in live with anything you do. But it is important to maximize you chances of getting what you want. So in regards of LL all you can do is do your researches as much as you can, choose the best doctor you can afford, and pray for good luck. And if something goes terrible wrong it is all part of the game called life. Stay positive and realistic.

Before my LL I always knew there was a chance for the worse but I was ok with that idea. Fear will never stop me from taking action in life and go for what I want.  Any bad situation in life is a tool to achieve happiness.
RGKEY 2.0
Original height. 163.5cms. Current height 172.5cms
Operation on 6/4/13 Tibias 9 centimeters

Disobedient

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 12:34:23 PM »

stop speak in foreign language.

Are you disabled how,when, how is your current status. more info plz

what foreign language?

I'm temporally disabled till I remove the fixator..

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 04:06:16 PM »

the answer to this question lies in the mouth of Crazy6+ the legendary disabled.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:11:18 PM by kusop »
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

When you're in a wheelchair, nobody can see how tall or short you are.  You're evaluated totally differently by society.  There are times I thought I'd rather be crippled than remain short, making LL an easy decision.

alps

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »

When you're in a wheelchair, nobody can see how tall or short you are.  You're evaluated totally differently by society.  There are times I thought I'd rather be crippled than remain short, making LL an easy decision.
Hey there's more to life than people's perception of you. :)

Anyway, to everyone, most of you are not getting to the question of this thread.
What *exactly* would you do if you became crippled? It would put you at a state even behind where you are now, and there probably isn't a surgery that fixes it like LL fixes short stature.

RGKEY

• just take it day by day
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »

you are right)) back to the question, i would just live my life to the best of my ability, maybe it would make me a better person i dont know. Maybe Ill become a happier person. Who knows, but I doubt I would kill my self or anything like it)) at the most I would probably cry for some time lol
RGKEY 2.0
Original height. 163.5cms. Current height 172.5cms
Operation on 6/4/13 Tibias 9 centimeters

OverrideYouGenetics

• OverrideYourGenetics.com (no PMs, please email me)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »

I find this statement shocking to be frank. Have a word with yourself mate.
My diary. Tibias+femurs 3.75+3.75cm at the Paley Institute (5'5" -> 5'8") in my late 30s.
One of the last patients to use the PRECICE 2.2 nail. I met the first STRYDE patient and I strongly recommend the new STRYDE nail instead.

Smallguy

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 11:55:26 PM »

I find this question silly. That's why I didn't bother responding to it.

What if, while you cross the road tomorrow to meet a hottie, and you get hit by a car?
What if you won't wake up tomorrow or the sun never rises? Okay, unless you chose to do LL with somebody in his backyard garage or someone with no qualification then this won't happen to you. There is always a risk to every surgery just as there is a risk to everything in life. You should weight the odds and make sure the odds favours you. That why some people chose to go with expensive doctors.

Nowadays you get disabled just by over eating. Check out people who are morbidly obese. Crazy 6 only movement was to reach up for food.

What if I get permanently disable and cannot walk? Well, that won't happen. The healthcare here in Canada is just too good for that situation to occur. Well, if I'm disabled (worst case scenario)  then I will have to rely on my country to support me for life. That means playing video game or watching TV every day. Or once in a day, wheel myself to a coffee shop or go to the park for some fresh air. Try to force a girl over for sex on a wheelchair. Life will still be good.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 12:01:02 AM by Smallguy »
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

Shortie

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »

My friend Is  6'4 and he got in a motor cycle accedint last year and he lost both of his legs , he still a life now and he also got a girlfriend and happy life !

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »

bump itshislife# :) jokes :)
Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

meursault

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »

Suicide
Quote from: some bitch I found on a forum
Im 5'2' and I LOVE tall men and most of the guys that asked me out were tall lol.

programdude

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 01:24:15 AM »

I'd acknowledge I lost my gamble, be pretty unhappy, and retire to thailand.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

ForcedPuberty

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 02:42:16 AM »

hmmmm what would the great forced puberty do.

to be honest the reason i haven't answered this thread yet is because i just don't really know.

hmmmmmmm

i know this will be hard to believe. but i really would use my brain function to develop artificial legs.

and i wouldn't do it because im angry or bitter i would like program dude accept that this is how it played out, i knew and have already accepted this as a low probability and i am prepared to accept any and all of the consequences for my actions. but i think that is where my life would end up. :)

Nope, 20cm is just nope.

"because FP's the hero LL Forum deserves, but not the one is needs right now. So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. because hes not the hero. He's a silent gardian, watchfull protector. The Dark Knight."

ouroboros

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »

Well, if I'm disabled (worst case scenario)  then I will have to rely on my country to support me for life. That means playing video game or watching TV every day. Or once in a day, wheel myself to a coffee shop or go to the park for some fresh air. Try to force a girl over for sex on a wheelchair. Life will still be good.

My life is currently on hold.  I have zero motivation to socialize until I have the operation.  I still go to college and go to work, but other than that I see no point in doing anything else.  The way I see it, it's almost the same as being disabled.   My only way out is LL.  I know its not a magic pill to solve all my problems, but it will give my life purpose.   If I never found out about LL, my life would be like before....accepting all my flaws and working extra hard to gain respect.

It's almost as if I'm done living this life as a short person.  I want to try what it would be like to be taller and compete at a new level.   For me, trying to enjoy life as a short person is like playing the same level of a video game over and over knowing what the result is going to be. 

There is a risk with LL that my life could be drastically worse than what it is right now, but living the rest of my life wondering "what if" and "why didn't I" is like a torturous life sentence.
I'm the type of person that if I were sentenced to jail for 20 years, I would try and find any possible way to beat the system and escape. The consequences are that you can get caught and add more years to your sentence or even get shot and die, but no way I'll sit there and be someone's bitch for the next 20 years knowing that I had the opportunity to escape.(being short feels to me like you are society's bitch)

To answer the original question of "what would I do if I became disabled?", I would do pretty much what programdude said and move to a place where I can lower my standards and compete at that level. 

ItsMyLife

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 05:34:42 AM »

I have gotten used to life on a wheelchair. Its not fantastic, but dealable. Esp here public transport is very accessible to disabled

ReadRothbard

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »

I'd probably stab someone.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up