Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streptococcal Infection  (Read 2393 times)

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Streptococcal Infection
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2581574/Father-one-loses-three-limbs-half-face-flesh-eating-bacteria-started-common-cold-just-FOUR-months-ago.html#comments

Pretty gruesome sight here. According to this article, this type of infection occurs when the bacteria finds its way into deep muscle tissues or organs. Would a pin allowing direct entry into the muscles not be the perfect avenue for this bacteria to invade the muscles of the leg? A few of us here have had infections along the way. We were given antibiotics and the infections subsided, but we were never examined to determine the type of infection occurring.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Disobedient

Re: Streptococcal Infection
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:45:04 PM »

A few of us here have had infections along the way. We were given antibiotics and the infections subsided, but we were never examined to determine the type of infection occurring

actually "shorty" has .when he has been diagnosed with the infection, they took form him sample (from the pin site ) to determine that..  and according to the result they decided to keep his frame, cuz it seems with some type of infection antibiotics is not sufficient and the frame should be removed immediately so the infection wont Spread to the bone..

Polycrates.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:51:42 PM »

Yeah, I am glad my infection subsided, but in hindsight, it wasn't handled appropriately at all. I had to point it out several times and it was my physio who administered the drugs to me... A biopsy should obviously have been taken.
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Polycrates.

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:37 AM »

It would be nice if Dr. Birkholtz could expound on the possibilities of contracting something this vicious with external fixators. Would it subside and lay dormant for months until the major symptoms occur as it did in this man? Is there a test that can be done to determine its presence? In India, with disease lurking at every corner and in every crevice, this is something that concerns me greatly.

ChrisIsaak

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:06:18 AM »

I felt terribly sad for this guy..

"For better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health" has so much meaning in a situation like this. It's a real test for a family..

Sorry for interrupting the medical conversation with my emotional blabla. Please go on.

Man, they should feature me in a Tramadol commercial these days  :'(

mediocre

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »

Necrotizing fasciitis/myositis is just a pretty nasty infection and can kill too.

It's not commonly seen in fixators I think. The common ones are the usual skin/staph infections.

You're just pretty unlucky if you get it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up