Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anaesthesia Options  (Read 2943 times)

forex

• Visitor
Anaesthesia Options
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:05:25 PM »

Hi am looking for some guidance on what is best...spinal or general?  I see some doctors do general, some do spinal and some offer both.  For leg lengthening what is best option for femurs?  I have had general a few times before for other reasons in my home country. But never spinal. Looking for least risk option.  Any ideas on why some choose one over the other

Thanks

PS I have decided to get lengthening done with Dr Jamal. I know situation in Ukraine is a little crazy right now but Kiev is fine, I have friends there and Russia seems more interested in Crimea. So I figure I will do it. Reason I chose Jamal 1) Weight bearing (2) engaging with patients (3) Cautious approach 4) experience 6) precise seems risky 6) I would have done guichet but his requirements for me to get on a plane and travel for 30 hours just to see him for 2 hours and then go home is crazy. 7) money but this was least of my concerns

Disobedient

Re: Anaesthesia Options
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:31:07 PM »

I tried both
spinal in LL operation
and general in knee manipulation

if you  don't have a lot of fat in your low back area then go for spinal ( having fat in this area will make inserting the injection kind of hard and painful )

you may have shivering during the operation .. but there is no pain or headache after the operation ...

for the general , you'll feel very strong headache after the operation and you'll feel so tired and that may last for 2 days max.

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »

With general anesthesia there's always a small chance you won't wake up, which is why I like spinal the best.

mediocre

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:21:00 AM »

This is absolutely true! I would prefer spinal.

Another small risk (although some say it can go as high as 40%) is "Anesthesia Awareness" just like in Jessica Alba's movie, Awake, where patient is awake during GA but paralyzed so can't move/talk/etc (some can feel the pain but can't complain).

With general anesthesia there's always a small chance you won't wake up, which is why I like spinal the best.

forex

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »

I've had general before three times. My biggest concern is being under general and having awareness while they are smashing my bones. That scares me the most.  Of course death scares me more. Looks like I will talk to doc about spinal. thanks to all

jerry

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:42 AM »

I had general before.  After you wake up,  you feel weak and keep going back to sleep and waking up again.  For around 2 days.

There is no reason to do general, after all you just don't want to feel pain during surgery.  Spinal will do. 

TRS

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »

There is the option of spinal anaesthetic with sedation from sleeping tablets.
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/anaesthetic-choices-for-hip-or-knee-replacement

BullSurfer

• Let's jazz this up!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Having done LL I now know the mindset of drug addicts, all thanks to anesthesia. I had a few complications so I kept going back to the operation theater (funny why india operating room even called that, they're not qualified,  no observation deck). Anyway, each time they injected me with morphine or something,  the guy would say " I'm going to give you some sedative". After that warmth sweep through my body and I go to sleep. I kinda looking forward to that, scary. Be careful,  you might get hooked.

TRS

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 03:45:50 PM »

The attached leaflet has useful information about spinal and epidural anaesthetic.
http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf/Epidurals_spinals_apr11.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up