Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cancer with leg lengthening  (Read 2779 times)

guichethope

Cancer with leg lengthening
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:02:08 PM »

Hi guys , I try to don't be pessimitic but the sooner my surgery is the more I think about side effects  . I have to ask you if according to you this surgery can create a bone cancer . I'm obsessed with this idea . Can you guys please tell me what you think about it  . Also I'd like to know the opinion of some veterants  on it if it's possible  .

Cheers , don't let your dreams be dreams .

guichethope

Re: Cancer with leg lengthening
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »

this is my hugest fear I can't bearely sleep at night .

ub40

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »

I was also wondering about this issue. Are there any scholarly papers about this topic? Obviously, too much radiation isn't good. Obviously, too much Forsteo isn't good (it has been proved that teriparatide causes bone cancer in rats, reason for which it can't be used in humans for more than 24 months in your whole lifespan). But, what about LL itself? Do bone reaming and nail insertion increase the chances of developing bone cancer in the future? Probably nobody here has an answer for this, but your opinions will be appreciated.

Can you clarify are you talking about the actual surgery or are you discussing additional medication
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

guichethope

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »

Only the surgery , the fact that it could have a effect on the bones etc..

good on you by the way

Koi

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:02:30 PM »

Well, breaking your legs itself shouldn't have any risk.

Having contact with the materials the fixators were made of shouldn't, since they wouldn't have been made of these materials. And if there was any risk, then it would be because it's still unknown that the material is dangerous. So leaning on a fence of the same material should be dangerous, too (well, ignoring the fact there would be a skin between the fence and your bone, but it'd still cause you other problems, if not in the bones, directly). However, it should be safe unless you get fixators made of plumb or (edit: dunno the exact translation. Absesto(s), maybe?) (yeah I'm joking, those don't exist since it's been a while we're aware of their effects, lol)

So the only risk is in substances. Painkillers are used for many other situations and the ones that are used don't have any big risk so far (I'd rather worry about heart issues than bone cancer). I don't know about the bone growth/fast regeneration substances, but if there's some risk in the whole operation, it resides in there so far.

I'll do some research soon. Thanks for the question.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:25:22 PM by Koi »

Auron

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:51:40 PM »

I have the same opinion as Koi, he pretty much nailed it.

I am, however, worried with the amount of radioation we are exposed to. From the day of the consultation to the day we remove the nails we do numerous X-rays and, as you know, radiation is one cause of cancer.

Koi

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »

I am, however, worried with the amount of radioation we are exposed to. From the day of the consultation to the day we remove the nails we do numerous X-rays and, as you know, radiation is one cause of cancer.
Forgot about it. This is probably the biggest factor.

EDIT: Do you know how often do doctors usually ask for X-Rays results?

Auron

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »

Forgot about it. This is probably the biggest factor.

EDIT: Do you know how often do doctors usually ask for X-Rays results?
I don't know but someone who has finished the consolidation phase should know. I am 2 weeks post op and I've done 2 sets of X-rays so far. I believe my next X-ray should be in 1 month.

Koi

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 08:13:33 PM »

I don't know but someone who has finished the consolidation phase should know. I am 2 weeks post op and I've done 2 X-rays so far. I believe my next X-ray should be in 1 month.
Oh! Good luck, hope everything is going fine. :)

ub40

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 08:27:52 PM »

Don't worry about x-rays on the legs, there's very little dose of radiation from that type of shot
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Ozymandias

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »

Don't worry about x-rays on the legs, there's very little dose of radiation from that type of shot

Yep, I was about to post that. Apparently, the dose required for a femur or tibia x-ray is very low.

You can get an idea using this table:
http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=safety-xray

As for other possible causes, I read somewhere that there is no direct relation between fractures and bone cancer. The reaming of the bone should not be a concern, as it is only yellow marrow (fat). I am not sure about having a metal rod inside your bone, but it is not only used in LL, also in virtually any fracture of a large bone.

I hope you guys don't smoke, btw...

Koi

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »

Glad we have some saviors with us. ;D

So I guess the bone growth/regeneration substances are the only factor to discard. Does anyone know anything about it?

Cheers!

Ghostfish

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »

I agree with others.  I doubt that ll increases any chance of cancer in bone or other tissues.  Perhaps, enjoying sunny days may give you higher risk of cancer than ll.

guichethope

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »

Guys what do you think about the PRECISE nail . Maybe it can cause of the magnetism .
Pages: [1]   Go Up