Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Are 7 cm really dangerous for tibias??  (Read 8289 times)

onemorefoot

Are 7 cm really dangerous for tibias??
« on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:11 AM »

I would like to know if is completely silly going for 7 cm or can be an option.Please feel free to give you opinion.
Budget will determine my future.

applesandoranges

Re: Are 7 cm really dangerous for tibias??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »

Most doctors recommend a maximum of 5cm lengthening for tibias although it depends on the person. I've seen diaries of people who have done 7cm+ for tibias but I can't imagine doing that myself. I would guess that you would run into some serious complication with the achilles tendon, and all the other muscles and nerves in the shins. If you want an overall greater lengthening amount, I would do both the tibias AND femurs, so you can distribute the lengthening amounts more safely. 3.5cm femurs + 3.5cm tibias would probably be a lot more safer in my opinion.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 09:31:55 PM »

Medium Drink of Water seemed to be fine.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

onemorefoot

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 09:45:09 PM »

Hybrid External Fixator seems to be working great even with great amounts of lengthening.Notootall in the old forum got 8 cm and is  fine, Lumiere here got 7 cm and is fine, so I dont understand.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »

But sweden is not fine, RGKEY is not fine.

After 5cm LL is a huge lottery, some people come out fine some people don't.
Besides you need to keep it in mind that after 5-6cm your athletic abilities will drastically go down.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:11:11 PM »

Sweden as far as I know still engaged in martial arts after his surgery and was only "not fine" because he couldn't match his previous performance. If high-tier athletics are not your priority and you only want to be able to walk and live an average life, 7 cm seem very possible.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »

Sweden as far as I know still engaged in martial arts after his surgery and was only "not fine" because he couldn't match his previous performance. If high-tier athletics are not your priority and you only want to be able to walk and live an average life, 7 cm seem very possible.

I wish I'd done 5cm.
Doesn't matter now. I did 7.

I'll upload a new video this weekend.

I can actually barely run. I guess I have to take tramadol before I go.

My left knee is not working anymore bc of the X-legs. I have decided to take out the nails now and I'll push for surgery to fix the X-legs. It is now really bad and it gets only worse. My knees will be permanently destroyed if I keep going like this.
They ache every day now, on the inside of the knees.

Right ankle is still very tight and the foot is broken bc of X legs so it doesn't really function as it should.

My athletic lifestyle is completely ruined and I'm very depressed for it. There is no meaning for me to keep going if I can't have that part of my life.

I did hit the gym very hard today but the knee forced me to stop. It hurts in every motion I do what so ever. It started doing so for the last 2-3 weeks.

You sure?

onemorefoot

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 11:32:37 PM »

I dont know if going for 7 cm or 6 cm, I dont do sports but I dont want to walk like a 60 years old person.

The Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 02:42:13 AM »

I dont know if going for 7 cm or 6 cm, I dont do sports but I dont want to walk like a 60 years old person.

7 cm is realistic for internal femur, trust me don't do 7 cm tibia. Save money and do internal if you could

onemorefoot

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 05:28:54 AM »

Ok, so 6 cm is fine I think.

Peaceout

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »

imo dont pass 5 cm on tibias no matter what.Its just way too risky to push tibias and its not worth it for 1-2 extra cm.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 08:25:02 AM »

You sure?

If the consequences were so terrible, why did he constantly say he wanted another lengthening surgery? I guess it was because his desire to be taller outweighed his desire to perform athletically. Abd for some people, not being able to run might still be preferable to not being (that) short anymore. But you should still discuss it with a good lengthening doctor.

TheLichKing

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »

But sweden is not fine, RGKEY is not fine.

After 5cm LL is a huge lottery, some people come out fine some people don't.
Besides you need to keep it in mind that after 5-6cm your athletic abilities will drastically go down.

If I'm not wrong, femurs have a greater safe limit than tibias and allow more lengthening. I'm looking forward to this surgery in the future and want to gain a total of 12cm from two segments. Is 5.5cm Tibias and 6.5cm Femurs fine? And what if I decide to go femurs first to gain more height earlier, can I aim 7cm for femurs instead and do 5cm tibia later? or is 5.5Ti- 6.5Fe cm better?
My height is in the 5'6-5'7 range.
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Current height - 168.5 cm: 5'6.5
Goal - 180 cm: 5'11
*2 segments (femurs-6.5 cm) + (tibia-5 cm)=11.5 cm: 4.5''

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

If the consequences were so terrible, why did he constantly say he wanted another lengthening surgery? I guess it was because his desire to be taller outweighed his desire to perform athletically. Abd for some people, not being able to run might still be preferable to not being (that) short anymore. But you should still discuss it with a good lengthening doctor.

Wanting another surgery on a different segment doesn't mean that you can't regret the previous one.

If I'm not wrong, femurs have a greater safe limit than tibias and allow more lengthening. I'm looking forward to this surgery in the future and want to gain a total of 12cm from two segments. Is 5.5cm Tibias and 6.5cm Femurs fine? And what if I decide to go femurs first to gain more height earlier, can I aim 7cm for femurs instead and do 5cm tibia later? or is 5.5Ti- 6.5Fe cm better?
My height is in the 5'6-5'7 range.

I was talking about tibias only and ye you can lengthen femurs more since it's a longer bone in general.
Idk if your proportions will handle 12cm doe.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 09:26:39 PM »

Wanting another surgery on a different segment doesn't mean that you can't regret the previous one.

But it's a very inconsequent choice to say the least. If you're unhappy with your athletic performance with broken tibias, you will be even more unhappy with your athletic performance with broken tibias AND broken femurs. It means that despite his sadness for losing athleticism, he appreciates the positive sides that came with the surgery, or otherwise he would not plan another one. 

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 09:57:34 PM »

He wanted to do another surgery because of the proportions, probably just accepted his athletic state but he regrets doing that much.

But anyway i think sweden should really talk about what's going on.

Iamready

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »

I might catch some flack for this statement, but if today was the ceiling of my physical recovery + athletic abilities, I wouldn't trade an inch of my height back.  I know it's young in my recovery and post ll life but I walked for several miles during my Vegas trip and I was surprised at how well my body was able to handle the beating.

Having said this, I am sure I might regret this statement if I was trying to dodge a bull at Pampalona.

ALSO. I do not advise going past 6cm, because that's approximately how much I did and things could be very different if I continued past that.

TheLichKing

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »

I was talking about tibias only and ye you can lengthen femurs more since it's a longer bone in general.
Idk if your proportions will handle 12cm doe.

Well, I am really not that much concerned about the proportions. I don't mind if my torso looks a bit off compared to legs (unless it looks really really odd) then I might cut down to 10cm which is my absolute minimum requirement from 2 segments (which is down to 4 inches from 4.72). Can you recommend me what you think would be the best combination of femur and tibia lengthening for 12 cm and 10 cm?
For 12 cm :  5.5 ti - 6.5 Fe or 5 ti - 7 Fe?
For 10 cm : 5 ti - 5 Fe or 4 ti - 6 fe?

Furthermore, for tibia I'm reluctant to do the LON, since I heard 25% of patients suffer permanent knee pain. Internal Precise is too expensive and should only be considered for Femurs if budget is constraint. So that leaves with Betz / Guichet nail (aka twist and shout) or external. For external I heard there's a hybrid fixator which basically reduces the recovery time compared to traditional though I'm not exactly sure where it's offered but it exists.
Also, since Europe and USA are quite expensive, I'm wondering how would Dr. Parihar (India's supposedly best LL doctor) compare to Dr. birkholtz from South Africa, Dr. Jamal from Turkey and Dr. Aimen peng / Xia from China. I'm trying to evaluate options of these countries:-
1) India
2) China
3) Turkey
4) S.A
5) Russia
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." -Eric Thomas

Iamready

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 01:36:30 AM »

I would do 4 tibia and 6 femur.

EndGame

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »

I might catch some flack for this statement, but if today was the ceiling of my physical recovery + athletic abilities, I wouldn't trade an inch of my height back.  I know it's young in my recovery and post ll life but I walked for several miles during my Vegas trip and I was surprised at how well my body was able to handle the beating.

Having said this, I am sure I might regret this statement if I was trying to dodge a bull at Pampalona.

ALSO. I do not advise going past 6cm, because that's approximately how much I did and things could be very different if I continued past that.

Glad your continuing to do well. Didn't one of the Paley patients do 8cm tibias while you were there? La Chanta mentioned one guy did 8cm both femurs and tibias I think. Do you know how he's doing? Would be an interesting data point thou I'm sure his flexibility and soft tissue limits were atypically good and even if he's done good it doesn't mean i should go for more than 6cm.

onemorefoot

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 02:09:07 AM »

Yes, Iamready, I would go for 4 cm in  tibias. The problems is that second surgery will have to wait a lot, so I want at least 6 cm to tart with. I would love being 6 2", however would be 12 cm and is quite a lot. I would lengthen my arms 4 cm too, maybe doing two surgeries with a great distance of time could allow me go for 12 cm or 11 cm.

TheLichKing

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 02:31:31 AM »

Yes, Iamready, I would go for 4 cm in  tibias. The problems is that second surgery will have to wait a lot, so I want at least 6 cm to tart with. I would love being 6 2", however would be 12 cm and is quite a lot. I would lengthen my arms 4 cm too, maybe doing two surgeries with a great distance of time could allow me go for 12 cm or 11 cm.

Why not save more and do femurs first instead? This would give you greater height early for you to enjoy and the time frame to the second surgery will seem less noticeable than if you did 4cm on the tibias first simply because you will have greater satisfaction from the greater height you would have with lengthened femurs. Where do you plan on doing your surgeries from and what's your age?

onemorefoot

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 03:59:46 AM »

16 years, If I would want femurs I would do my fisrt operation in 2023, tibias in 2021, 2 years is a lot of wait. My second operation in 2028, and arm lengthening in 2029, I will follow the steps of Iamready with 3 surgeries.

Iamready

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2016, 04:37:04 AM »

Glad your continuing to do well. Didn't one of the Paley patients do 8cm tibias while you were there? La Chanta mentioned one guy did 8cm both femurs and tibias I think. Do you know how he's doing? Would be an interesting data point thou I'm sure his flexibility and soft tissue limits were atypically good and even if he's done good it doesn't mean i should go for more than 6cm.

He's doing fine. He came over about 2 months ago and was walking the same as me.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »

You should learn humbleness, it's a great trait to have. You don't need to be 6'2'' to be happy in life, nobody does.

EndGame

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »

He's doing fine. He came over about 2 months ago and was walking the same as me.

Sounds like 7-8cm doable on tibias for a select few with atypically flexible soft tissues going with a great doctor. However, OP please think long, I mean long and hard about going over 5cm overseas. Overseas is risky, thou probably some pretty good ones mixed in with the butchers.

Peaceout

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:54 PM »

Well, I am really not that much concerned about the proportions. I don't mind if my torso looks a bit off compared to legs (unless it looks really really odd) then I might cut down to 10cm which is my absolute minimum requirement from 2 segments (which is down to 4 inches from 4.72). Can you recommend me what you think would be the best combination of femur and tibia lengthening for 12 cm and 10 cm?
For 12 cm :  5.5 ti - 6.5 Fe or 5 ti - 7 Fe?
For 10 cm : 5 ti - 5 Fe or 4 ti - 6 fe?

Furthermore, for tibia I'm reluctant to do the LON, since I heard 25% of patients suffer permanent knee pain. Internal Precise is too expensive and should only be considered for Femurs if budget is constraint. So that leaves with Betz / Guichet nail (aka twist and shout) or external. For external I heard there's a hybrid fixator which basically reduces the recovery time compared to traditional though I'm not exactly sure where it's offered but it exists.
Also, since Europe and USA are quite expensive, I'm wondering how would Dr. Parihar (India's supposedly best LL doctor) compare to Dr. birkholtz from South Africa, Dr. Jamal from Turkey and Dr. Aimen peng / Xia from China. I'm trying to evaluate options of these countries:-
1) India
2) China
3) Turkey
4) S.A
5) Russia
Dont even compare turkey with india or some crappy russian LL center man.Turkey is way above them.
And Dr.Jamal is not from turkey.

TheLichKing

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:17 PM »

Dont even compare turkey with india or some crappy russian LL center man.Turkey is way above them.
And Dr.Jamal is not from turkey.

My bad. He's from Ukraine. Dr. Mehmet and Muharrem seem liable options for Turkey. So Ukraine, Turkey and China might be the options I look after Europe and US. Which one is better in your view?

Peaceout

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

My bad. He's from Ukraine. Dr. Mehmet and Muharrem seem liable options for Turkey. So Ukraine, Turkey and China might be the options I look after Europe and US. Which one is better in your view?
Turkey without a doubt.

The Kaiser

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 10:06:45 PM »

If i were you i will forget about tibia for ever. the majority of complication came from this   segment. lets assume i will do tibia, it will not be more than 4-5 cm, safety is priceless. Stay safe, think rationally, and good luck

onemorefoot

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2016, 02:59:33 AM »

Yes, but I cant afford internal methods at least for 7 years, that is a lot of time. 5-6 is reasonable for this segment.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up