Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5-9 cm tibias with Dr. Leonid Solomin in St Petersburg Russia  (Read 7482 times)

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
5-9 cm tibias with Dr. Leonid Solomin in St Petersburg Russia
« on: November 27, 2016, 03:49:06 PM »

I am considering lengthening 5-9 cm in my tibias, with Dr. Leonid Solomin in St Petersburg Russia. I would appreciate to hear from someone who has gone with this doctor, and I would like to read some diaries if any exist. Any advice from LL veterans is welcomed :) I know 7-9 cm is probably too much but I think if I can handle the pain and everything heals correctly I would like to push for 7-9 cm...

Also is there anything I should be aware of when it comes to visiting Russia and applying for the appropriate visa? I am Canadian.

Info on my self:
- 20 yr old male
- 172 CM TALL
- 172 CM wingspand
- 90 CM sitting height   
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:34:55 PM by talldarkandhandsome »

onemorefoot

Re: 5-9 cm tibias with Dr. Leonid Solomin in St Petersburg Russia
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »

Are you sure you are done growing???is 172 your morning height?
Budget will determine my future.

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »

I think I am done growing :( I have been paying close attention to my height since 17 and I haven't grown much since then, maybe 1-2 cm...  And yes 172 is my morning height, 171 is my afternoon height.

onemorefoot

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »

Dont worry mate, LL is our secret weapon.

Chris

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:04:30 PM »

I wished I was your starting height :D
But okay, If you want to go to Solomin, you will have to apply for a medical visa and as far as I can remember only the private MEDEM clinic will write you an invitation letter.
I'm a real LL-patient.
I did my tibiae, had complications and will do femurs next.
I'm no longer participating in this community.

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 09:20:18 PM »

I've been in contact with Dr Solomin and Dr Kulesh and I am aware that I need to stay in the international clinic to receive visa support. I was going to choose the international clinic anyways since the other hospital isn't really an option unless you speak Russian or have a translator with you.

And thank you I am grateful for my starting height. :)

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »

onemorefoot

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 02:17:49 AM »

You should go for 6 cm.

goodlucktomylegs

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »

5cm is maximum

5 cm is the recommended amount but it's possible to lengthen more and many people have.

Bander72

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 03:35:56 PM »

Yeah but recovery will be alot longer and complications as well. People doing internal  femur with paley have had serious complications with those amounts. What makes you think that you will avoid it.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »

Yeah but recovery will be alot longer and complications as well. People doing internal  femur with paley have had serious complications with those amounts. What makes you think that you will avoid it.

I'm doing my tibia's, I don't know how similar femurs are in terms of complications? The doctor said we will start with 15% of the initial bone size and go from there. My tibia's are 14.75 inches long, so that would be 5.6 cm of lengthening. He did say we can go past 20% considering my age and good health but there are more risks of complications after lengthening past 20% of the initial bone size. He wasn't specific about the complications and I haven't done much research yet. Feel free to share some of the possible complications.

onemorefoot

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 07:52:47 PM »

Possible complications are delayed consolidation, non-union, deep bone infection with LON.

hype88

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »

Mate I'm exactly the same height as you but my wingspan is 175cm. I've been thinking of doing my tibias for a while now and I've come across Dr Solomin, so I'd been keen to buddy up and get it done together...

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

Mate I'm exactly the same height as you but my wingspan is 175cm. I've been thinking of doing my tibias for a while now and I've come across Dr Solomin, so I'd been keen to buddy up and get it done together...

That would be cool! When are you planning to get yours done?

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

Dont worry mate, LL is our secret weapon.

;)  ;D 8)

hype88

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

I'm thinking it would be nice to get it done as soon as I can. But it's hard because I have me own business so it's just trying to figure out how I can still do everything while I'm recovering. What about you?

Koi

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

I'm thinking it would be nice to get it done as soon as I can. But it's hard because I have me own business so it's just trying to figure out how I can still do everything while I'm recovering. What about you?
May I ask what's your business about?

Cheers.

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »

Small world, I also own a small business... I have family helping to mange it luckily, plus I will be doing a lot on the computer from Russia.

Side note: I found out that as a foreigner you can stay in the St Elizabeth hospital instead of the international clinic. This might be optimal for those with a tight budget like my self, considering it's less than half the price of the international clinic. There are some major draw backs though. There would be a huge language barrier with staff at the hospital unless you speak Russian of course. I'm sure one might be able to manage with google translate or even hiring a translator. You  can just call the translator when ever you want to ask the staff a question something and vice versa. I asked the doctor if we can still pay for visa support without actually being a patient at the international clinic and he said no ...  but I asked if we are able to fill out our own visa applications and use him as the sponsor and he said that would be fine ...

I'm ready to go, I've never felt so excited and scared about something is my life. I just need to apply for my visa, so hopefully that doesn't take too long to get accepted  after I submit it.

hype88

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »

Sounds like we're all ready to go! I'm glad you checked out the hospital and visa too. How much will it cost us? and how long away from home will we be? I'm Australian by the way! haha.

I know what your feeling - I get these moments like fk it get it done1! and how things would be after getting it done. It would be a massive game changer!

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »

Here is the price list Dr. Solomin provided. All prices are in Russian rubles.

APPROXIMATE:

Preoperative orthopedic examination

professor consultation – 1.200 rubles
x-ray examination – 4.000 rubles
ultrasound examination – 1.500 rubles

Surgery + 3 days in Clinic

Clinic:
in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 278.400 rubles
+ 8.532x3=25.596 rubles (double room) = 304.000 rubles
+ 11.340x3=34.020 rubles (single room) = 312.500 rubles
+ 19.872x3=59.616 rubles (lux room) = 338.000 rubles
in St. Elizabeth Hosp.
142.000 (single room)
149.000 (lux room)

The 3rd day after operation – the 14th day after operation

Location of the patient:
We recommend:
in hospital (in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 4.100 rubles per a day (single room) or 4.700 rubles per a day (lux room), in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 8.532 rubles per a day (double room), 11.340 rubles per a day (single room), 19.872 rubles per a day (lux room)
We consider admissible:
in hotel (1.000 – 6.000 rubles per a day)
in apartment (30.000-40.000 rubles a month); the housemaid daily - 7.000 rubles a week, every other day - 4.500 rubles a week, 2 times a week - 2.000 rubles a week
In case of any complications – emergency hospitalization to hospital.

Additional medicines:
We recommend:
Fraxiparine 0,3 - 1 injection per a day during 10 days after operation (300 rubles for injection in St. Elizabeth Hosp.; in Int. Clinic MEDEM - free of charge)
Pradaxa – 1 tablets per a day from the 11th day after operation (2.000 rubles a month)
Perfalgan – 1 dropper a day 5-10 times after operation (200 rubles for dropper in St. Elizabeth Hosp.; in Int. Clinic MEDEM - free of charge if it is required)
Linex - 6 tablets per a day during 10-14 days after operation (1.000 rubles a week in St. Elizabeth Hosp; in Int. Clinic MEDEM - free of charge if it is required)
We consider admissible:
Fragmin (instead of Fraxiparine 0,3) - 4 injections a day during 10 days after operation in St. Elizabeth Hosp. (free of charge)
Pradaxa (for out-patients) – 1 tablets per a day for out-patients (2.000 rubles a month)
Paracetamol (instead of Perfalgan) – 1 tablets per a day (in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - free of charge if it is required, 200 rubles a week for out-patient)
Amoxiclav (for out-patients) – 3 tablets per a day + Linex 6 tablets per a day during 7-11 days after operation (2.000 rubles a week for outpatient)

Changing bandages:
We recommend:
Changing bandages by doctor - 2-3 times a week (cost of 1 changing bandages - 1.500 rubles in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and for outpatients; 4.320 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM (no matter – 1 or 2 frames)
To pay tailoring of a cover on the frame (2.000 for 1 cover). We recommend to buy 2 covers for every frame.
To pay for the foot holders (600 rubles)
We consider admissible:
Changing bandages by patient - 1-2 times a week (cost of materials and solutions – 500 rubles for 1 changing bandages) + changing bandages by doctor once a week (cost of 1 changing bandages - 1.500 rubles in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and for outpatients; 4.320 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM (no matter – 1 or 2 frames)
Cover the frames with bandages instead of covers after every change bandages (400 rubles a week)
In case of inflammation the distraction can be slowed down, temporarily stopped, prematurely complete; perhaps, one or several additional operations are required.

Trainings/physiotherapy:
We recommend:
Training every day or every other day with trainer (1 training – 1.000 rubles for 1 training in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and outpatients; 3.000 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM)
Buy walkers (3.000-4.000 rubles)
Buy wheelchair (15.000 rubles) and office-chair (5.000 rubles)
We consider admissible:
Self-trainings or trainings with the trainer less than we recommend (1 training – 1.000 rubles for 1 training in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and outpatients; 3.000 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM)
Buy crutches (2.000 rubles)
In case of joints stiffness the distraction can be slowed down, temporarily stopped, prematurely complete; perhaps, one or several additional operations are required.

Consultation by professor:
We recommend:
In 5-7 days after the beginning of distraction (in 10-12 days after operation) (x-ray included: in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 3.000 rubles, in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 5.000 rubles, 2.500-4.000 rubles for out-patients).
The cost of a transfer depends on the place of residence.
We consider admissible:
In 5-7 days after the beginning of distraction (in 10-12 days after operation) (x-ray included: in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 3.000 rubles, in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 5.000 rubles, 2.500-4.000 rubles for out-patients).

Visa support (only for Int. Clinic MEDEM outpatients):
Payment every month - 3.500 rubles and once every 3 months – 17.000 rubles.

The 15th day after operation – completion of manipulations in frames
Location of the patient:
We recommend:
in apartment (30.000-40.000 rubles a month); the housemaid daily - 7.000 rubles a week, every other day - 4.500 rubles a week
We consider admissible:
in hospital (in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 4.100 rubles per a day (single room) or 4.700 a day (lux room), in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 8.532 rubles per a day (double room), 11.340 rubles per a day (single room), 19.872 rubles per a day (lux room)
in apartment (30.000-40.000 rubles a month); the housemaid 2 times a week - 2.000 rubles a week
at home

Additional medicines:
We recommend:
Pradaxa – 1 tablets per a day (2.000 rubles a month)
We consider admissible:
Pradaxa – 1 tablets per a day (2.000 rubles a month)
Food supplements

Changing bandages:
We recommend:
Changing bandages by the doctor - 2-3 times a week (cost of 1 changing bandages - 1.500 rubles in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and for outpatients; 4.320 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM (no matter – 1 or 2 frames)
Washing of covers once a week
We consider admissible:
Changing bandages by patient - 1-2 times a week (cost of materials and solutions – 500 rubles for 1 changing bandages) + changing bandages by doctor once a week (cost of 1 changing bandages - 1.500 rubles in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and for outpatients; 4.320 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM (no matter – 1 or 2 frames)
Changing bandages by patient - 3 times a week (for the outpatients at home)
Cover the frames with bandages instead of covers after every change bandages (400 rubles a week)
In case of inflammation the distraction can be slowed down, temporarily stopped, prematurely complete; perhaps, one or several additional operations are required.

Trainings/physiotherapy:
We recommend:
Training 2-3 times a week with trainer (1 training – 1.000 rubles for 1 training in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and outpatients; 3.000 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM)
To have a walkers (3.000-4.000 rubles) and crutches (2.000 rubles)
To have a wheelchair (15.000 rubles)  and office-chair (5.000 rubles)
We consider admissible:
Self-trainings or trainings with the trainer less than we recommend (1 training – 1.000 rubles for 1 training in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and outpatients; 3.000 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM)
To have crutches (2.000 rubles)
In case of joints stiffness the distraction can be slowed down, temporarily stopped, prematurely complete; perhaps, one or several additional operations are required.

We recommend:
Once in 10-20 days (x-ray included: in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 3.000 rubles, in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 5.000 rubles, 2.500-4.000 rubles for out-patients).
We consider admissible:
Once in 20-30 days by e-mail (for the outpatients at home) - free of charge.

Manipulations in frames (distraction and correction):
We recommend:
Lengthening no more than 10% of the initial length of a bone.
After finishing of lengthening – perform installation of the reduction module, to eliminate translation of bone fragments or deformity (setting the reduction module – 3.000 rubles, remove the reduction module – 3.000 rubles, calculations – 500 rubles for 1 frame at once)
We consider admissible:
Lengthening no more than 20% of the initial length of a bone.
After finishing of lengthening – perform installation of the reduction module, to eliminate translation of bone fragments or deformity (setting the reduction module – 3.000 rubles, remove the reduction module – 3.000 rubles, calculations – 500 rubles for 1 frame at once)
The correction is possible only in the absence of contractures of joints and a possibility of the patient to stand on the straightened legs.
In case of hypotrophic regenerate the distraction can be slowed down, temporarily stopped, prematurely complete; perhaps, one or several additional operations are required.

completion of manipulations in frames – removal of frames
Location of the patient:
We recommend:
in apartment 25.000-40.000 rubles a month); the housemaid every other day - 4.500 rubles a week, 2 times a week - 2.000 rubles a week
We consider admissible:
in hospital (in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 4.100 rubles per a day (single room) or 4.700 a day (lux room), in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 8.532 rubles per a day (double room), 11.340 rubles per a day (single room), 19.872 rubles per a day (lux room)
in apartment (30.000-40.000 rubles a month); the housemaid daily - 7.000 rubles a week
at home

Additional medicines:
We consider admissible:
Food supplements

Changing bandages:
We recommend:
Changing bandages - 1-3 times a week (cost of 1 changing bandages - 1.500 rubles in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and for outpatients; 4.320 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM (no matter – 1 or 2 frames)
Washing of covers once a week
We consider admissible:
Changing bandages by patient - 3 times a week (for the patients at home)
In case of inflammation one or several additional operations are required.

Trainings/physiotherapy:
We recommend:
Training 2-3 times a week with trainer (1 training – 1.000 rubles for 1 training in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and outpatients; 3.000 rubles in Int. Clinic MEDEM)
To have a walkers (3.000-4.000 rubles) and crutches (2.000 rubles)
To have a wheelchair (15.000 rubles)  and office-chair (5.000 rubles)
We consider admissible:
To have crutches (2.000 rubles)
In case of malunion or non-union one or several additional operations are required.
In case of deep infection, one or several additional operations are required.

We recommend:
Once in month (x-ray included: in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 3.000 rubles, in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 5.000 rubles, 2.500-4.000 rubles for out-patients).
We consider admissible:
Once in 2 months (x-ray included: in St. Elizabeth Hosp. - 3.000 rubles, in Int. Clinic MEDEM - 5.000 rubles, 2.500-4.000 rubles for out-patients).
Once in month by e-mail (for the outpatients at home) - free of charge.

1. To the housemaid the cost of products isn't included in a payment (the approximate cost of products you may look on the website https://www.okeydostavka.ru/spb2).
2. Int. Clinic MEDEM usually provides discounts to the foreign patients. Discount in St. Elizabeth Hosp. is possible too.
3. We assume that it will be cheaper to get a second-hand wheelchair, office chair, walkers and crutches.
4. The approximate cost of drugs is specified. You may look on the website http://www.eapteka.ru/
5. We would recommend to take quantity of money 10-20% more than calculated.
6. Surgery + 10 days in Clinic (minimum) in Int. Clinic MEDEM (278.400 rubles + 8.532x10 = 364.000 rubles) in St. Elizabeth Hosp. (142.000 rubles + 4.100x10 = 183.000 rubles)
7. We can perform External Fixation surgery on 2 segments at once.
8. In case of complication or nailing additional operation costs approximately as much as primary.
9. The cost of additional small surgery – frames reassembling or Achilles tendons release – 50.000 in St. Elizabeth Hosp. and 100.000 in Int. Clinic MEDEM (approximately).
10. The advance payment is 200.000 rubles (in St. Elizabeth Hosp.) and 400.000 rubles (in Int. Clinic MEDEM) – in cash.
11. We can provide surgery in 3-4 day after end of consultation in Int. Clinic MEDEM and in 7-10 days after end of consultation in St. Elizabeth Hosp.
12. The minimum term of stay in St. Petersburg after operation – 2-3 weeks.
13. The minimal approximate cost of taxi for the patients with a wheelchair or crutches – 30 rubles/km and 5 rubles/min for waiting or support. The minimal approximate cost of transfer for the patients in a wheel bed – 2.000 rubles/hour.
14. There is English-speaker physiotherapist in Int. Clinic MEDEM and in St. Elizabeth hosp.
15. We assume that it is possible to rent apartment cheaper than for 30.000 in a month. In this case, it will be probable not very pure and convenient apartment.
16. In case of apartment renting payment of the realtor - 100% of payment of a rent in a month. In addition, the client posts bail of 100% of payment of a rent in a month. Thus, the first sum for payment is payment for 3 months.
17. The website of St. Elizabeth Hosp. - http://eliz.spb.ru; the website of Int. Clinic MEDEM - http://www.medem.ru/en.

18. at present time:
in Int. Clinic MEDEM the cost of the LON surgery is the same as the cost of convential Ilizarov + cost of the nails (100.000x2=200.000 or 150.000x2=300.000)
100.000 - cost of 1 chinees nail
150.000 - Zimmer nail
after lengthening the cost of nails locking surgery - approximately 100.000-120.000

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 12:52:23 PM »

You should go for 6 cm.

Yeah I have decided to go with 4-6 cm...

hype88

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »

Geez that's really confusing haha. Why can't they just do it in one total cost?

How many months will it take to recover doing 6 cms?

talldarkandhandsome

• Visitor
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 02:38:10 PM »

Geez that's really confusing haha. Why can't they just do it in one total cost?

How many months will it take to recover doing 6 cms?

2-3 months for lengthening and 6-9 months for consolidation.

It may be confusing but at least you know what your paying for and get options. It's also the cheapest price I've found and Dr. Solomon seems very qualified.

hype88

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »

I was just going over the prices - Could you give me a quick estimate of how much money it will cost me please?

Zyker

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »

I was just going over the prices - Could you give me a quick estimate of how much money it will cost me please?

I think the total is 7000-8000 EUR if you choose the Ilizarov method, and I think I will do this me too. ;)
Actual height: 172 cm
Goal: 176 cm

hype88

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 05:40:39 AM »

That does sound enticing doesn't it haha... I heard it's pretty hard to get into Russia with a visa? I'm from Australia. Are you going to stay there while you consolidate?

Zyker

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »

I will stay in Russia until the end of lengthening (2-3 months), then I think I will return to Italy!
Actual height: 172 cm
Goal: 176 cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up