Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get tibia lengthening done first or save for internal femur?  (Read 2317 times)

midnightninja

Hey all!

I know very well that I want to get two surgery done one being for my femurs and the other for my tibias.
I know that I want to get 4cm max! done on my tibias but for my femurs I am tossing up between 4cm or 5cm
(I know that I'm fussing over 1cm but from what I hear 1cm can be a make or break when it comes to lengthening).

Should I go ahead and get tibia lengthening done first? I'm only 19 years old so I have the much appreciated luck of  having time on my side. I measure between 168cm - 169cm and I'm just tired of being small I'd like to be average height 175cm/177cm. Granted that 4cm will only get me to 172/173 but I usually wear Nike Airmaxes which add a 3-4cm height gain which is great! for a shoes that in my opinion is quite stylish.

Femur lengthening would be done with Dr. Guitchet and of course I'd opt in for the internal nail.
Where as tibias I'm not familiar with the Dr's at the momment but I do know that it is much cheaper than getting femur done with my current choice in Dr.

At this moment I have the money for 4cm tibia lengthening with my budget being around  $25,000 - $60,000 AUD.

Should I just wait and do femur lengthening first or get 4cm done on my tibia - get the hardest and most painful over and done with. 

Penguinn

Re: Should I get tibia lengthening done first or save for internal femur?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 01:54:57 AM »

Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to do 7 cms in the femurs? Sure, 4 or 5cms will be easier than 7cms but not nearly enough to justify another surgery. All doctors allow that amount. Unless your femurs are abnormally long, it's very feasible proportions wise.

I recommend doing femurs first because once you're 4cms done, if you realize your proportions don't look bad, and that you can't be arsed with another surgery and half a year more of handicapped-ness, you can lengthen an inch more and be done.

onemorefoot

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 04:11:29 AM »

Penguinn is right if you just want 8 cm or 7 cm just go for femurs. In the case you want your tibias operated go for LON, although I read some diaries of people who used HEF( Hybrid External Fixator)  and were only 7-8 months for 6 cm, is a little faster than common Ilizarov, but more expensive.
Budget will determine my future.

The Kaiser

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »

Hey all!

I know very well that I want to get two surgery done one being for my femurs and the other for my tibias.
I know that I want to get 4cm max! done on my tibias but for my femurs I am tossing up between 4cm or 5cm
(I know that I'm fussing over 1cm but from what I hear 1cm can be a make or break when it comes to lengthening).

Should I go ahead and get tibia lengthening done first? I'm only 19 years old so I have the much appreciated luck of  having time on my side. I measure between 168cm - 169cm and I'm just tired of being small I'd like to be average height 175cm/177cm. Granted that 4cm will only get me to 172/173 but I usually wear Nike Airmaxes which add a 3-4cm height gain which is great! for a shoes that in my opinion is quite stylish.

Femur lengthening would be done with Dr. Guitchet and of course I'd opt in for the internal nail.
Where as tibias I'm not familiar with the Dr's at the momment but I do know that it is much cheaper than getting femur done with my current choice in Dr.

At this moment I have the money for 4cm tibia lengthening with my budget being around  $25,000 - $60,000 AUD.

Should I just wait and do femur lengthening first or get 4cm done on my tibia - get the hardest and most painful over and done with.

Do femur first as its recommended for those who seek two surgeries

midnightninja

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »

Penguinn is right if you just want 8 cm or 7 cm just go for femurs. In the case you want your tibias operated go for LON, although I read some diaries of people who used HEF( Hybrid External Fixator)  and were only 7-8 months for 6 cm, is a little faster than common Ilizarov, but more expensive.
Wouldn't it be infinitely easier to do 7 cms in the femurs? Sure, 4 or 5cms will be easier than 7cms but not nearly enough to justify another surgery. All doctors allow that amount. Unless your femurs are abnormally long, it's very feasible proportions wise.

I recommend doing femurs first because once you're 4cms done, if you realize your proportions don't look bad, and that you can't be arsed with another surgery and half a year more of handicapped-ness, you can lengthen an inch more and be done.

7-8cm on one segment is personally way too much. You all may be willing to add that much length to one segment but I don't want to have an 8cm difference between my femur and tibia. I think 2 surgeries of 4cm is vastly better than one segment of 8cm but of course not every has the luxury of money and time. You lose functionality and even though proportions are not everything you do look weird at least I do when I add 8cm to one segment. 4cm from what I have read has been painful of course but a breeze in comparison to those who lengthen 6cm+.

Thank you all for your input. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my reasons for two surgery. I think we all have difference risk and tolerances when it comes to cosmetic surgeries and I personally think I look bad with a 8cm addition to one bone and the decrease in motion and flexibility with 8cm on one bone in compared to 4cm does put me off. I hope you all understand.

midnightninja

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »

Do femur first as its recommended for those who seek two surgeries
7-8cm on one segment is personally way too much. You all may be willing to add that much length to one segment but I don't want to have an 8cm difference between my femur and tibia. I think 2 surgeries of 4cm is vastly better than one segment of 8cm but of course not every has the luxury of money and time. You lose functionality and even though proportions are not everything you do look weird at least I do when I add 8cm to one segment. 4cm from what I have read has been painful of course but a breeze in comparison to those who lengthen 6cm+.

Thank you all for your input. I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my reasons for two surgery. I think we all have difference risk and tolerances when it comes to cosmetic surgeries and I personally think I look bad with a 8cm addition to one bone and the decrease in motion and flexibility with 8cm on one bone in compared to 4cm does put me off. I hope you all understand.

Thanks a lot I think I will save up for a while and go for femur lengthening first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up