Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does slower lengthening speed increase the speed of bone healing?  (Read 3780 times)

Wannabegiant

Basically what the title is saying, Ive heard many times before that 1 mm a day should be feasible for tibias, although now according to my doctor by turning for 0,5 mm a day rather than 1 mm, my soft tissue AND the bone will heal faster once im starting consolidation phase. I knew soft tissue would heal faster like this because it isnt stretched as fast, but i didnt know bones would heal faster as well.

Im told here that It would likely reduce my total time in the external frames compared to if i turn 1 mm a day, even though the lengthening phase would be over much faster by turning 1 mm/day.

For clarification, i will probably turn 3/4 mm a day for the first 1 or 2 weeks to make premature consolidation as unlikely as possible, then turn 0,5 mm/day.

I trust my doctor, but would appreciate other opinions too

RGKEY

• just take it day by day
Re: Does slower lengthening speed increase the speed of bone healing?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »

Basically what the title is saying, Ive heard many times before that 1 mm a day should be feasible for tibias, although now according to my doctor by turning for 0,5 mm a day rather than 1 mm, my soft tissue AND the bone will heal faster once im starting consolidation phase. I knew soft tissue would heal faster like this because it isnt stretched as fast, but i didnt know bones would heal faster as well.

Im told here that It would likely reduce my total time in the external frames compared to if i turn 1 mm a day, even though the lengthening phase would be over much faster by turning 1 mm/day.

For clarification, i will probably turn 3/4 mm a day for the first 1 or 2 weeks to make premature consolidation as unlikely as possible, then turn 0,5 mm/day.

I trust my doctor, but would appreciate other opinions too

yes it's true, however, you will gain in time pretty much what you lost by lengthening very slow. So it's really about the same.

rgkey.
RGKEY 2.0
Original height. 163.5cms. Current height 172.5cms
Operation on 6/4/13 Tibias 9 centimeters

Disobedient

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:34:05 PM »

yes it's true, however, you will gain in time pretty much what you lost by lengthening very slow. So it's really about the same.

rgkey.

I reached to this conclusion before, but if that the case why wouldn't we start to lengthening 0.25mm  after achieving 2cm ( to prevent reunion bone), that would be less painful ?
but none of the doctors do that ! so it seems when you stop lengthening the bone heal faster ..

RGKEY

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »

if is less than 1mm you take risk of union of bones and if is more than 1mm risk of none union. Doctors do 1mm because that's the maximum rates of natural lengthening any body can take, usually babies grow up at this rate, 3 cm per month. while you lengthen the regeneration of the bone is not as good because of many factors this is why is better to lengthen at normal rate then stop then keep going, .5mm is also good. any time you stop is considered a consolidation period. I have lengthened for a total of 6 months, then had correction for about 3 weeks. But while I was lengthening I stopped many times. I have drop my key about 2 months now, but when you see my X-ray it doesnt look like ive been consolidating for 2 months, it looks like if i have been consolidating for about 5 months. while you are lengthening it doesnt matter if is 1 mm or .5mm or less you are still lengthening. Now, taking breaks is a different story, and I think is a better choice all around.
RGKEY 2.0

Hanna84

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:51:24 PM »

I reached to this conclusion before, but if that the case why wouldn't we start to lengthening 0.25mm  after achieving 2cm ( to prevent reunion bone), that would be less painful ?
but none of the doctors do that ! so it seems when you stop lengthening the bone heal faster ..

Actually Dr. Betz recommends it by now. After I reached 2cm I slowed down to a rate of 0.7-0.8cm per day.
Starting height: 1,58m
Goal: 1,65m
OP: 31.10.2013

Finished lengthening: 28.02.2014 Achieved: 9cm :-)  New height: 1,67cm :-)

Medium Drink Of Water

• Premier Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 12:00:56 AM »

Interesting.  The doctors in Beijing actually started telling me to turn MORE toward the end, like 1.3 or 1.5 mm daily, because my bone growth was really good.

Maybe they just wanted to get rid of me faster.  :'(

Hanna84

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:46:53 AM »

Every doctor has his own opinion and I believe they all want the best for their patients.
Starting height: 1,58m
Goal: 1,65m
OP: 31.10.2013

Finished lengthening: 28.02.2014 Achieved: 9cm :-)  New height: 1,67cm :-)

RGKEY

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »

Every doctor has his own opinion and I believe they all want the best for their patients.

we are such optimists hehe)) I agree with you of course)))
RGKEY 2.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up