Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clavicle Lengthening to correct deformity (older threads not very helpful)  (Read 2953 times)

curiouspat

• Visitor

Older threads seem more centered around insulting/manipulating those who explore this surgery for cosmetic reasons.  Forum seems overrun by people with insecure frames.  Not judging.  But anyone on here know any doctors who would be willing or even have the know how to lengthen a clavicle that is shorter than the contralateral clavicle?

Funny thing is, a lot of bones are easily shortened by orthopedists and a lot of times they won't hesitate to do it, but lengthening is apparently off limits.  Kind of stupid.

Jayne

• Visitor

Hi Im in the middle of legthening my femur due to a 3cm decrepency. ..what country are u from?

curiouspat

• Visitor

US

Morissette

I've never heard of a reputable trustworthy doc offering it. I'm sure you could find some low budget no experience doc willing to try but that's really leaving it up chance. A lot of good doctors don't even offer arm lengthening cuz it's more complicated I guess then legs I can't even imagine clavicle not to mention how painful I would imagine it to be. Why do you wanna lengthen that?

curiouspat

• Visitor

Thought my first post answered that, asymmetry.

Further info, causes instability/impaired function.  Yet, it is sometimes imposed by doctors because they believed it a prudent option in treating certain conditions.  And incoming data is changing what convention said to do, leaving everyone worked on prior deformed by the medical community and out in the cold.

curiouspat

• Visitor

On a lighter note, despite some of the warnings on height augmentation, some of the remarks that comes out of people around here are hilarious.  Like taken out of context: "you said society made you break your legs!!"<-I laughed for 15 minutes at that one.

And another question, anybody know why some of the prices of these medical devices are so ridiculously high?  When I look at them, they're not all that special.  I've seen more complicatex tools in an auto shop.  And the material of construction is usually some polymer or surgical grade steel (316 SSL), so nothing special there.  I once talked to a vendor of radiology equipment and he showed me maybe a 5ft roll of stents which badically looked like a wire mesh chinese finger trap, dude said it cost $100k, and I was like "ta fuq?!"

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Because they can basically. You are paying for something that can save the most important thing, your own life.

Btw you can easly produce most of the stuff for an ilizarov frame with a simple CNC machine, you just need the schematic.

Alu

I don't think anyone here can necessary answer that question for you honestly. There's never been a case for it reported here.

Your best bet would be to ask Dr. Dror Paley or Dr. Robert Rozbruch, as they are leading orthopedic surgeons. Be warn, they are doctors who like to charge a little extra. However, they should be at least able to give you possible answers to any questions you might have. So to that, at least go have a consultation with some of them, or email them.

Besides that your other bet would just find your local orthopedic surgeon.

Lastly, good luck, and if you don't mind why not keeps us posted or at least tell us once you've gathered enough information what your plan is. I'm always curious at all the possible "lengthenings" in this day in age.

Cheers!

curiouspat

• Visitor

"Because they can".  See, THOSE are issues that need to be addressed in nationalized health care.  Not forcing everyone to buy health insurance, especially those who don't want it.

Yeah, spoke with Millrights workers who worked in fab. shops and they said you could make just about anything you want, like an isometric 3d printer.

As far as the plan, who knows.  This seems to be the most natural and effective way of achieving customized bone growth at this juncture.  There are other processes in research for accomplishing the same thing, but that's all they are at this point, experimental.

Morissette

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about most of your responses make no sense to me maybe I'm just having a bad day?

curiouspat

• Visitor
Re: Clavicle Lengthening to correct deformity (older threads not very helpful)
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »

Sorry, a little all over the place.  It's just that it's a sick to charge people large sums of money in exchange for their health (killing their pocketbook instead of their body).  It's not like the people who need health care the most have large sums of money to afford this stuff and people getting surgery for cosmetic reasons drive the price up.

That last paragraph was in response to another post, sorry about that.

Morissette

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »

Depends where you live I guarantee that my LL surgery in India isn't driving up open heart surgery prices from my home country. In a country with private health care like the states maybe I don't really know how they work. But I agree that essential life saving surgeries are often too expensive just because they can be

curiouspat

• Visitor
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 06:05:54 PM »

You shouldn't guarantee that.  Whether it's privatized or public health care, economic forces are at work in both.  May not be worth debating though.

curiouspat

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 02:11:47 AM »

I've contacted both and we'll see what they say.  They primarily deal with congenital defects in children.

Actually, if you are in Europe, they have the only published info that I've seen on this very procedure performed at the Royal Health Institute whom I've contacted as well.  So, we'll see.
Pages: [1]   Go Up