Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Benefits of slower rate of lengthening?  (Read 1647 times)

The View

Benefits of slower rate of lengthening?
« on: September 17, 2016, 07:41:33 AM »

What are the benefits of slower rate of lengthening? e.g. lengthening femur at 0.66mm a day instead of 1mm a day?

Less pain?
Faster recovery once you are done clicking?
Less damage to soft tissue/nerves etc?

axelf

Re: Benefits of slower rate of lengthening?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:13:50 AM »

of course .66 is always better than 1mm. but then there's preconsolidation...

Mtall

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:23:40 AM »

There have been quite a few patients on this forum who say they experienced less pain when they did 0.75 mm instead of 1mm per day. But I've only seen that in the Tibia diaries. About femurs, I have only seen diaries citing 1mm per day.

It makes sense that your recovery will be of a better quality (I don't want to use the word faster, because there's no evidence) if you lengthen at a slower rate, because you're taxing your soft tissue and muscles less.

As for the risk of pre-consolidation, if you're worried about that, you could ask your doctor to review your X rays once every 5-6 days during the initial days of lengthening so you can see how fast/slow your bones are consolidating, based on which you can decide on rethinking the rate of lengthening.

Another important thing to consider is: If you want to lengthen large amounts like 7.5 or 8 cms, are you really willing to wait (75mm/0.75 mm per day) 100 days to finish the lengthening phase?

Dr. Paley, I believe, from some of the diaries, speaks about a breaking point in the lengthening phase beyond which the muscles & soft tissue "give in" to the lengthening. You could possibly speak to your doctor about lengthening 0.75 mm per day until you reach this breaking point, lengthening 1 mm per day in the "honeymoon" phase (no lengthening pains) and then slowing down as you come nearer to your goal.

Again, I'm still looking for an answer as to whether the above applies to femurs as well, because I've not read any femur diaries till now where the lengthening was less than 1 mm per day.

Ozymandias

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 12:06:22 PM »

Again, I'm still looking for an answer as to whether the above applies to femurs as well, because I've not read any femur diaries till now where the lengthening was less than 1 mm per day.

Yagen lengthen at 0.81 mm/day: "I am lengthening to 0,81 a few days I tried to reach 1,08 but It was very hard at night and my body reject the tension."
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=2899.0

And Bohemia said that he lengthen "between .81 to 1.08 cm per day", according to how he felt.
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=2518.0

I know a few other patients that lengthen at .81 mm/day. However, others do it at 1,08 mm/day with no problems. I guess it is a very personal thing, depending on many factors.

I'm only considering Fitbone users, which are the ones I'm monitoring right now. I guess the situation is very similar for Precice users.

Bander72

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

It should help in pain but there is the risk of consolidation of the bones if you go too slow for long.
Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account
Pages: [1]   Go Up