Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video of Limited Dorsiflexion 3 Years Post Op  (Read 4995 times)

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Video of Limited Dorsiflexion 3 Years Post Op
« on: September 14, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »

Here is me trying to get my heels down at the 5 inch mark from the wall. The right almost gets down, but the left, as you will see, is far worse. I chose 5 in because that seems to be a golden standard on youtube. I have contemplated getting a release to correct this. Do you think it can be achieved through stretching alone?

Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

TIBIKE200

Re: Video of Limited Dorsiflexion 3 Years Post Op
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »

if your normal function is not hindered, I dont see any reason to do a tendon release... If it disturbes you during squats, buy lifting shoes.
  About getting better with stretching, the best stretch I know is the downward facing dog yoga position (with heels down!).
Can answer the "will it get better" though
I learned some stuff during this time

Polycrates.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »

It's my performance in the gym that is especially disheartening for me. I have people who want me to come with them and I am apprehensive because of this. I know I can't squat and thus shy away from invitation.
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

TIBIKE200

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »

It's my performance in the gym that is especially disheartening for me. I have people who want me to come with them and I am apprehensive because of this. I know I can't squat and thus shy away from invitation.

By either the nike or the adidas weightlifting shoes. They are made specificly for people with bad ankle dorsoflection

Polycrates.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 11:22:48 PM »

I might give them a go, but I doubt they would rectify inches of bad dorsiflexion like I have.

Polycrates.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 01:22:09 AM »

I've taken TBikes idea to the test and created a 2 inch platform using a mat and 2 2.5lb plates and tried some squats. I couldn't find anything else for the left leg, so i let the heel come up on this side. Keep in mind my right ankle is far more mobile than the left, so I imagine I'd need more than 2 inches of platform for it, but the 2 inches worked pretty well on the right side. I tried ass to grass squats, keeping the back straight, and made a pathetic attempt at a one legged squat, which I was able to perform for 15 repetitions prior to LL. This is my first attempt at doing them, so I am going to incorporate them with raised platforms into my leg workouts and see what I can accomplish.

Polycrates.

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »

I believe I've found a good way to finally get my squats in, though I won't be seen at the gym like this. I found a can of fish to use under my left heel and like magic I am able to squat to full depth with my back upright. You can see how far up the left heel needs to be for me to be able to squat normal, and keep in my this is unweighted, and thus why I am so disheartened about this. It's probably closer to 3 inches up because the salmon can is 1.75in high

Sweden

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 06:13:58 AM »

Great to see another honest gym rat who knows what it's all about. Sorry for your lack of motion but this is the reality.
It will get a little better, but not much more than that.

I just woke up and I'm waiting to stand up bc I know it will ach in my feet and ankle. The first 10 minutes of the day is the worse.

I'll be in the gym all day today. Keep pushing, there is still room for improving that ROM since you only did 6cm I guess.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Thatdude950

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 06:41:59 AM »

There's no point in getting hung up on it. Heaps of people have that amount of flexibility. Get some weightlifting shoes . They have in built raised heels which have the same affect as putting your feet on plates, but obviously much stabler. Vs Athletics have the highest heel I've found.  or just don't do back squats - do single leg stuff (bulgarian split squats, barbell lunges etc) as an alternative

Sweden

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2016, 07:17:15 AM »

It's not true. No normal human have this limit in their ankle. I bet it even hurts with a huge stretch in the calf to push it this far as Polycrates does.
A normal person wouldn't have such pain even if they tried to stretch it further.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

Thatdude950

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »

I just tried and my heels started raising slightly and I felt my calf stretch  at about 3 inches. I have below average mobility but otherwise I'm normal and somewhat strong and athletic, at least compared to the average person.

Thatdude950

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »

btw here's a thread on a running forum - you'll see theres lots of natural variation. OPs and mine may be low and Wed do well to improve it, but it's within the normal range and not the end of the world

My phone is messed up but you can just search cool running ankle flexibility if you're interested

Polycrates.

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 03:04:32 PM »

Regarding the shoes, I highly doubt there is a model available that will leverage me 3 inches high at the heel. I know that it'd be extremely hard to walk in. I think I am condemned to forgo squats and other similar activities in the public eye, and use plates at home to do them. The peculiar thing about all this is that I am unable to feel a stretch in the calf. This leads me to believe the limitation resides in the Achilles tendon and it doesn't even allow for the calf to be activated, or I've just lost sensitivity to the feel of a stretch in the muscle. I can feel extreme tension in the back of my heel where the tendon is and the string under my foot is under extreme tension as well. The only way I can see those tensions being alleviated is through surgery.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 03:25:21 PM by Polycrates. »

Polycrates.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 03:42:42 PM »

Just looking at their website, and the heel is 3.3cm, which I consider extremely high under normal circumstances. But for my case I need something in the 5-7cm range.

http://www.vsathletics.com/store/VS-Athletics-Weightlifting-Shoe.html

ub40

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »

How much have you lengthened?
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Polycrates.

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »

It's in my signature- 6cm

ub40

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »

Oops sorry. It's discouraging seeing your issues despite not lengthening an insane amount.. Do you think it was the choice of doctor or lack of physio?
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Polycrates.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 07:08:01 PM »

I don't think it was the choice of doctor since everything pertaining to the lengthening appears to be in order. I think this is just a corollary to lengthening 6cm, which on tibiae is quite a bit (it's the maximum you'd ever want to go). Physio in India was lackluster, and maybe I could have done something to have achieved a better prognosis. Perhaps a Paley level of physio would have improved the outcome, but I don't know what level of stretching could reverse this effect. It's one thing to stand all day to get the heels to go flat, but getting additional dorsiflexion requires active stretching and there's only so much of that you can do in a day.

P.S: I've yet to see videos like mine from anyone who went to the top flight doctors showing a normal range of dorsiflexion after 6cm on the tibiae. If that were to occur, then I'd be more willing to place blame on my doctor's care. I imagine even Paley's tibia patients have dorsiflexion far from the normal range after LL, but this is pure conjecture on my part. I am swaying more in the direction of getting the release the surgeon in Canada is offering me, as he assures me it will not be damaging and will enable me more than I currently am. I don't want to spend a lifetime being unable to run or squat properly, so the risk is worth it in my opinion. Worse case scenario, I will be confined to walking and swimming like I currently am.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 07:33:45 PM »

Best way to know if the shoes will help is to go to a store, try them on and do a squat. That's how I chose my shoes

Penguinn

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »

Best way to know if the shoes will help is to go to a store, try them on and do a squat. That's how I chose my shoes
This painted a hilarious picture in my head.

Polycrates.

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 07:49:14 PM »

Yeah, I appreciate the advice, but it's not going to happen. I am extremely paranoid over my movements as it is; doing a squat in full store view isn't going to cut it. I'll probably buy the shoes you suggested and if they don't help I'll eat the cost or try to wear soles inside of them to further improve the heel height.

Polycrates.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »

Penguin,

If you could do the favor of showing Dr. Parihar my dorsiflexion video (the first one), if he has time to view it when you're there and ask him if he would advise for a tendon lengthening in my instance. I'd really appreciate it. Let him know I'm 3 years post op as well. I've been in correspondence with him before and I'm sure he wouldn't mind briefly viewing the video and giving his opinion. Thanks.

Penguinn

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:49 PM »

Will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up