Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irritation from screws?  (Read 2627 times)

programdude

Irritation from screws?
« on: September 06, 2016, 03:05:24 PM »

Hey all. As some of you know I had a fracture after rod removal and needed a rod placed in again. My recovery overall is excellent, with the exception that my lower left leg where the screws are for the rod, radiates pain quite often, especially while walking on days after exercising legs.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I am thinking I might need to get the screws pulled out since I believe it is irritating the muscle around them.
Dr. Paley Patient- Surgery completed successfully on July 22nd
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Starting height: 5 8
End Height-:5 11 +

Sweden

Re: Irritation from screws?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:41:56 PM »

Yes. Just about every day.

I'm keeping mine in. I don't want to bust up my knee anymore.
173cm before LL with Sarin, jan -13. Now 180cm tall. Considering 5cm on femurs.

DoingItForMe

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »

I suspect that the screws near the top of my femur are irritating my muscles. It's suspiciously painful where the screws are located and whenever I move my legs. Every once in a while, I do feel pain where the screws are at the bottom. My guess is that the screw is really what's holding you up, so it's putting a lot of pressure into those tiny holes in your femur. But it is not often like you're making it sound. I've walked 10 miles once in a row and there was no radiating pain from the bottom screw.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience

Mtall

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »

I suspect that the screws near the top of my femur are irritating my muscles. It's suspiciously painful where the screws are located and whenever I move my legs. Every once in a while, I do feel pain where the screws are at the bottom. My guess is that the screw is really what's holding you up, so it's putting a lot of pressure into those tiny holes in your femur. But it is not often like you're making it sound. I've walked 10 miles once in a row and there was no radiating pain from the bottom screw.

So, how long after LL do these nagging pains continue? Will you ever have the same pain free legs as before?
And, how long do the screws need to stay in?

programdude

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 10:18:18 PM »

The thing is my leg should be fully healed by now. I think its the actual screws irritating the muscle and not as much to do with pressure on the bone.

The impression I get is once it is safe to get rid of the screws at the bottom I will be feeling great again.

For me the pain will almost unfailingly show up the day after exercise, either in the gym or after long walking, as if the tissue around the screw is enflamed or hurting. Mine is definitely often so it sounds like our bodies react to it in different ways. Bodies react to these things differently- For example my upper screws have never bothered me with either the initial rod or this one, whereas near the lower screws has.
My Diary for those who want a real play by play to know what to expect:http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=733.0

Mtall

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 07:55:45 AM »

The impression I get is once it is safe to get rid of the screws at the bottom I will be feeling great again.

And when will you get to remove the screws safely?

programdude

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »

Even though I've been told my legs have healed without deformity, I will feel safer waiting at least 6 months to be absolutely sure I avoid what happened last time. Though just the screw being removed would be a lot less risky than full rod removal.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM »

I feel the lower screws immensely when I run or jump. Can't wait to have them out.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

DoingItForMe

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »

I feel the lower screws immensely when I run or jump. Can't wait to have them out.
Yea, I noticed this when I put a lot of pressure on my leg like if I jump. I do feel a pain irradiating from the bottom screws.
8 cm gained with Dr. Paley using Precice 2.1 internal femurs in Summer 2015.
Starting height: 167 cm (5'6") Currently at: 175 cm (5'9")
Link to my experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up