Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Consult with Dr. Paley and overview of Paley Institute/St. Mary's Hospital  (Read 4852 times)

jbc

Everyone, as I have posted, I am considering Dr. Paley and Dr. Guichet for my surgery. For those considering these doctors, I hope you find the information of interest. This is my accounting of my visit with Dr. Paley, I will post a similar accounting of my visit with Dr. Guichet in 3 weeks or so.

Caveat Emptor: aside from what I got from Q/A, exams and visits, these are my opinions only, I am not a doctor, this is only for informational purposes and not intended to provide medical advice, everything you do is at your own risk.

Overall

9.5/10 stars. Everything at the Paley Institute is orderly, there is a prescribed process and rigor and the institute seems to run like a NASA control center. The staff is incredibly friendly and not judgmental. The doctors I met (Dr. Packer and Dr. Paley) are very nice, knowledgeable and transparent. They don't try to sell you anything and are frank in their answers and what you can expect. Dr. Paley is the genuine article, and the reasons behind his reputation as one of the top surgeons in this field are all around you when you enter the Paley Institute. He has done this for a LONG time, and has pioneered a lot of what is now being used. An entire wing of the hospital is basically his and dedicated to limb lengthening, and he has a lot of patients to treat limb deformities of all types for people of all ages, as well as CLL. The half star ding is only for West Palm Beach (the location) which I didn't really care for.

Arrival:

I arrived the night before my consultation. I did not stay in one of the nearby facilities, but I visited one (more on this later).

Appointment

I arrived at my appointment about 15 minutes late (it was scheduled for 8AM) due to Lyft being late and Uber being completely unavailable. When I walked in, I was greeted by Dr. Paley's front desk staff who asked me to sign in (they mask the name and signature afterwards with privacy stickers). They have a nice lounge with coffee, tea and water while you wait. They hand you a very nice informational packet that contains everything that is sent in the email when you make the initial appointment.

I had already filled out my paperwork and was told to wait for a bit for the EOS scan (this was indeed the extra $300). They have guest WiFi at the institute, so I checked my email. I didn't wait long. Someone took me to another area, where I was given a gown and a heart-shaped protector that I stuck on my boxers over my nether region :). The X-ray technician indicated that since this is a low-dose radiation X-ray, it's not really needed, but they give it to you anyway. You do the EOS scan in a hospital gown (underwear stays on), and they take two images (one standing, feet together, and another one with one foot in front of the other). You stand in an open yellow box for 25 seconds or so for each image and that's it. Once I was done I returned to the lobby.

Visit with Dr. Packer

I was then taken to a patient room where my weight and height were taken. Surprisingly, I measured 1 cm shorter than my own measurements or that of my primary care doctor, who takes them rigorously with each annual. Blood pressure was also taken, and then Dr. Packer came in. She had a transparent femur prop with a Precise implanted as a prop, and she thoroughly explained how that works. They had my EOS scan on 2 screens in the room, and Dr. Packer measured my dimensions to obtain my ratio.

The good news: I'm a perfect candidate for femoral lengthening due to my proportions. I am "femur short" and have long arms (my wingspan is a little over 2 inches longer than my current height) so my proportions will be extremely close to perfect when I lengthen. The bad news: one of my legs is shorter than the other by over 1 CM!! (which explains the constant lower back pain in that region, especially after running). My spine has scoliosis and looked like a snake. She told me to begin wearing a prosthetic in the shoe for the shorter leg and start doing specific PT to correct that.

I found Dr. Packer to be very knowledgeable and forthright. I asked a ton of questions, and felt like I got very transparent and realistic answers. Below:

- Procedure time. 2.5 hours on average
- Complications. Minimized over the years, especially with the Precise 2.2. No major complications seen with Precise 2.2. What is seen from time to time is delayed consolidation and patients who just heal slower. They have had one case of non-union several years ago, which also resolved.
- Blood transfusions. 25-50% of patients require them. You can either donate blood or they use a blood bank.
- Are blood transfusions safe? Statistically yes, very. Risk of infection is one in 30 million
- What can you do to minimize risk? Follow Dr.'s instructions to the letter. The people that do the best with this surgery have a very regimented plan that they stick to (PT at x time, stretching at y time, etc.) and do not weight bear on the nail until told that it's safe to do so.
- Is extra PT worth the cost? During the latter parts of the lengthening process it can make a huge difference. Some people will go through 2-a-day towards the end and they just "rock" their recovery
- What about pain? The first few days are tough. Even though your bones have been broken under very controlled circumstances (not like when someone comes in with a shattered bone where there are damaged muscles, etc), the area of the surgery will still hurt. You're given pain medications to cope. Most patients go off pain meds after 3 weeks or so completely, some will take Tylenol.
- How much weight can you bear? None, initially. The Dr. will tell you when it's OK to go from non-weight bearing to walker to crutches. It all depends on how you heal. Most nails break when you're twisting and weight bearing, and they are most vulnerable to breaking at full extension (8cm for Precise 2.2).
- Returning to sports. I don't have Olympic games ambitions, but am very active in several sports. Dr. Packer cited an example of a (then) 52 year-old patient who lengthened all 4 segments with Dr. Paley. This patient was also a physician, and very athletic. He resumed all activities with no degradation in performance and runs with Dr. Paley in the annual charity run for Dr. Paley's foundation. She said most patients return to full activity and as they get back into their workout regimen, regain what they have lost in terms of athletic ability. Also take into account some diminishing returns with age.
- IT band and biceps femoris tendon release The IT band grows back. Some patients who return for a second round of surgery have to have it re-released. The biceps femoris tendon that gets released does not. There is no impact to sports from these surgeries, except for high jumpers, where the biceps femoris tendon release has a very fractional negative impact.
- Will you need someone to assist you? Absolutely, during the first 2-3 weeks. There are several facilities nearby where patients stay, and helpers can be hired to do grocery shopping, etc.
- May I meet patients who are undergoing the procedure? Yes, if they would like to meet you.

(This is all I remember asking Dr. Packer, I may have left some stuff out that I'll probably remember later)

Tour of the PT center

Dr. Packer told me to wait and then someone came by to take me by the PT center. I was shown what I would start on (some stationary bikes and horizontal steppers with zero resistance, then other equipment. It's a well equipped facility. I met some of the Physical Therapists, they were all very nice and friendly. Lots of kids doing PT.

Existing CLL patients

None had PT scheduled for the morning. The place was packed with children who were undergoing limb lengthening for a variety of reasons, all non-cosmetic. Dr. Paley does not accept anyone under 18 for CLL. All the kids were smiling and some if not all were all in external fixators. I have never seen an external fixator, I thought I would be in shocking pain after wearing one.

Visit with Dr. Paley

I had to wait a while for Dr. Paley, he was in a procedure that was running long and an emergency consult. He came in, looked over the EOS scan, and asked me a bunch of questions about myself and what I knew about the procedure. I explained that I didn't even know IM nails existed until recently and while happy with my height, was glad to find out that something like this had been invented and a procedure, while invasive, had been refined over the years to make CLL available. He corrected me and said that what seems invasive to me is "minimally invasive" to him and his staff - the break is done under very controlled conditions, and everything is closely monitored for patient safety.

Safety is pretty much a theme at Paley, it seems. He explained that his goal is to "get you out the same way you came in, just taller", and if he does not do that, he has failed. He will absolutely not lengthen you beyond what your body can safely accept or tolerate. I had already asked Dr. Packer so many questions, but asked Dr. Paley about the IT band and biceps femoris tendon release. He told me that a lot of what he does is to prevent complications, and these 2 surgeries are done for that reason for longer lengthening. He told me he has had to re-release the IT band for repeated surgeries. Dr. Packer added later that the only time they did not consider an IT band release was for a lengthening done for a master yogi, who was incredibly flexible, and wanted to lengthen 8 cm, and that person still required the release.

I asked about the Precise nail. Apparently (and Dr. Packer also told me this), Dr. Paley is involved with the development of the nail. He said he has used every nail there is, and this is the best one to date given the strength and rate control. I asked about other doctors who perform this surgery and talked about the notion that no nail is fully weight bearing. He stated that that is correct. He said that the Guichet nail is indeed stronger than the Precise 2.2. The Precise is made out of titanium, and the Guichet nail is made of another metal (I forgot what). He also said that the disadvantage of the Guichet nail and the Fitbone are the rotations necessary (the ratcheting), and the fact that they do not offer the precision of the Precise, something that Dr. Paley deems critical to this procedure. Dr. Paley said the Fitbone and Guichet nails are also very painful to patients when they rachet. He said a fully weight-bearing Precise will emerge at some point, but he doesn't know when. No nails have been broken with the Precise 2.2, apparently.

He did not speak ill of other doctors, at all, which I really liked. He mentioned Dr. Guichet and Dr. Betz as other doctors of note in Europe who perform this procedure that are well known and of well repute, and said he has know both for many years. He did say he has corrected and corrects quite a few surgeries done overseas, including European doctors.

He went over what I can expect (which Dr. Packer also covered) and went over the medications I am taking (I wanted to know if there would be any contraindications with the surgery - there would not be). Same opinion on my proportions. He told me to think about whether I wanted to do this and if I did, be prepared to make this my full-time job for a few months, and I would be successful. Having a strict routine, adhering to Dr.'s orders, and taking my PT and stretching seriously would be my keys to success. Dr. Paley told me to email him if I had any questions. Then he shook my hand and left because he was paged and needed in an operating theater. Not pushy at all, just friendly and radio-instructions type answers to my questions, no hyperbole that I could detect.

Dr. Packer, part 2

Dr. Packer performed a series of flexibility tests afterwards. Turns out I'm very flexible :), which I already knew, except for my IT band, because of running. Since I had time, she recommended I visit one or several of the hotels, and one of the drivers was even kind enough to drive me there one one of his patient runs. They shuttle back and forth to several nearby hotels that he sends lots of patients to and they all have a "Paley Rate" for extended stay.

I visited some of the hotels. They are what you would expect. The rooms are nice and clean, and they all have pools to use, which Dr. Packer recommended as part of the PT. I won't name the hotels because of below (I want to maintain privacy for patients to the maximum possible extent)

Meeting a patient

By happenstance, I met a patient at one of the hotels as I was leaving. This person was headed for PT. I saw the scars and hesitantly introduced myself and asked whether this person was a Paley patient - they were. I asked about the overall experience and they said from a clinical standpoint, everything was excellent, though they had some issues with PT scheduling which were in the process of getting fixed. Something in the pool was also not working, so they reached out to someone at the Paley Institute, who reached out to the hotel, who fixed the issue the next day. I asked about pain, and they more or less confirmed what Dr. Packer said. For someone in the middle of the process, this person looked great, and I actually told them that :). I gave them my email address but did not ask for theirs in case they were amenable to connecting. I did not ask their name or forum handle - I really wanted to be as minimally intrusive as possible. If you are that person and reading this, keep going!!! - and feel free to get in touch at the email address I provided.

West Palm Beach

I had been there before and not much has changed. I would describe it as "sketchy" given where I live, but these are my impressions. I believe it's safe under controlled circumstances, and echo CCMidwest's comments that if you go, don't carry cash, don't wander around, and rely on Uber and Lyft for transport. I stayed in a very nice hotel in the middle of WPB, several miles out, and even there I saw some things that I wouldn't see at the same hotel in a different city. I am not being a snob in saying this - I grew up poor and whatever I have, it's self-made. WPB reminded me a lot of the neighborhood I grew up in.

Random

Apparently some people have aliases when they do this surgery, and never tell family members, even spouses. I can appreciate and understand everything but the last part, I have no idea how I would hide something like this from a spouse :). I found that last bit both interesting and humorous.

Also - be prepared to get a reality check in what you are about to enter, both good and bad. Having been explained the procedure, met a patient, and seeing the fact that your life has to be put on hold, basically, as a tradeoff to being taller, seeing the facility in person really helps the rubber meet the road. Once you enter the hospital, reality starts to set in, and I absolutely recommend a visit with Dr. Paley before considering the procedure elsewhere, given his experience. It also, at least for me, puts in perspective the fact that I wouldn't trust my legs, body or health to someone that didn't have a lengthy track record of experience with this and a healthy outcome doesn't really have a price. Cap Theorem rules: Safety, Quality, Price. Since you can't have all 3, I absolutely vote for the first 2.

All I can think of. Hope this is helpful to those considering the procedure and Dr. Paley.

Best,

--jbc

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:18:40 PM by jbc »

jbc

Oh, one thing I forgot.

Eating and supplements. You will most likely lose your appetite at some point or multiple times during this process. Dr. Packer advised increasing your caloric intake. She said a lot of the people that get this surgery that are fit and diet-conscious otherwise try to maintain their current diet and since your body needs extra calories/nutrition, if you do not increase your food intake, it will slow down the healing process. They will also recommend supplements such as Silica, calcium etc. as needed.

Deads

You make me feel like I was there myself. Great post.

Mtall

Hey JBC,
That was incredibly detailed!
When do you plan on doing the surgery? And what is your starting height?

jbc

Hey JBC,
That was incredibly detailed!
When do you plan on doing the surgery? And what is your starting height?

mtall, Early next year, most likely January. Want to have a nice Christmas first :). I won't post my starting height. I listed the reason in an earlier thread, complete privacy and judgment avoidance. Notice I have gone to great lengths to maximize privacy of the person I met, and would not judge anyone who wants this procedure for whatever reason. I hope you can respect same.

Deads, thanks for your compliment!! The only thing that can truly make you be there are the pictures on the wall (the Paley Institute is pretty colorful, complete with drawings of flags in the PT room of where patients are from - and there are lots of flags - and the humidity). Florida is hot and humid, you feel like you are breathing water :).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:19:54 AM by jbc »

TIBIKE200

Amazing details. Btw, did you.ask why for cll only the precise is used while you saw that almost all children had an.external.fixator?
I learned some stuff during this time

jbc

Amazing details. Btw, did you.ask why for cll only the precise is used while you saw that almost all children had an.external.fixator?

From one of the pieces of literature Dr. Paley's assistant sent, the Precise is not suitable for children under a certain age (7, if memory serves). The FAQ and same piece of literature says that Dr. Paley prefers the Precise due to lack of complications, and the adult patients who undertake CLL prefer it as well for same as well as concealment/cosmetic reasons.

I don't think I would consider an external fixator for the same reasons I stated, so I didn't ask (I suppose because it wasn't relevant to me). Sorry I don't have a better answer :(.

TIBIKE200

Did you also ask aesthetics? Which part is usually better suited for lengthening proportion wise, which can be hidden easier etc...
I learned some stuff during this time

jbc

Did you also ask aesthetics? Which part is usually better suited for lengthening proportion wise, which can be hidden easier etc...

I did ask about aesthetics. According to Dr. Packer and Dr. Paley, it's simply based on your existing proportions. They measure those off the EOS scan and calculate your ratio. I was labeled "femur short", for instance, meaning that my femurs are shorter than my tibias, and have long arms, so I'm a much better candidate for femur lengthening. Dr. Packer explained that she did not recommend going much outside ratio, though some patients do desire it to gain greater height gains.

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum

They told you specifically that your femurs are shorter than tibiae? It's been conjecture on this forum that this was an impossibility in the normal populace.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

CCMidwest

Good stuff JBC.

Definitely wear the wedge for your leg discrepancy. I wear a 1cm wedge in my shoe for a discrepancy in my right leg, it makes all the difference for hip and low back pain. They aren't expensive (if they are, you are getting scammed), so I advise you get a wedge for each pair of shoes you own, so that you never go without if you forget to move the wedge. For sure put one in your running shoes and your lifting shoes if you lift weights. High stress activity is a killer for your hips and back without that correction.

They tend to be made of a smooth plastic material, so they like to move around in your shoe. I've used everything from velcro to Gorilla glue to get them to stay in place. If the shoe's insole is removable, put them under that insole so you are not standing directly on the wedge, otherwise they can cause pain in your heel. Depending on brand, they do wear out and will start to compress and give less than the correction they are supposed to, so keep that in mind and replace them when needed (every year or so)

"Lifts" and corrective insoles are not the same thing btw.
5'7.5

ll3ll

• Visitor

just wanted to say thank you so much for the time it took to write this! this type of post is incredibly valuable and appreciated!

you may have said this in your post (or a previous one), sorry if i missed it - don't need to know your starting height, but did paley say the generally expected date of surgery to date of home timeframe? (i.e. 5cm in x months, 7 cm in y months, etc?).

thanks again!

jbc

Sorry about the late replies, I've been dealing with a pretty brutal stomach flu :(.

CCMidwest, I'm shopping for wedges :). I've never worn lifts, and Dr. Packer advised to just buy a Dr. Scholl's insert to start for price reasons (if they work, they are cheap, if they don't, you don't waste a lot of money). I tried that but it keeps slipping around inside my shoe. Once I find a good wedge, I have super glue :). Thanks for your advice.

Polycrates, I was specifically told "femur short". Not sure about the conjecture on the board around femur length - I can see why, however - the femur is generally the longest bone in the body. Maybe Dr. Packer meant proportion ratio-wise. I do really have somewhat unusually long tibias :).

(As an aside to that), I find the patient experience diaries incredibly useful but I've learned to discard a lot of information disseminated here, such as the "how do I do athletically after CLL." The forum is kind of all over the place on this. Contrast that to the answers I got from Dr. Packer and Dr. Paley. Their answers  and data points, and taking aging into consideration, were logical and made perfect sense. It's been my experience that doctors generally know medical stuff much better than the Internet :), so I use this mode of thinking with regards to pretty much everything medically related.

ll3ll, you can go home after you stop lengthening. The time frame I was given is 1mm/day in general, depending on how fast or slow you consolidate. The big advantage with the Precise is complete rate control and precision, which is, tbh, weighing heavily on me in comparing other options, but keeping an open mind until I meet with Dr. Guichet. Dr. Paley will not begin lengthening until several days after your procedure, up to a week, depending on how you recover, so take that into consideration as well.

From private messages: someone asked about scarring, which I forgot to mention. I did ask about this, and saw both pictures as well as scars on an actual CLL patient. The nail insert scars are minimal. they look like very tiny crosses or knots, about 2-3 mm diameter overall. Dr. Packer told me that they either completely fade away, or folks use creams to make them disappear. She also said that a Miami-based plastic surgeon who is very good and, according to her, incredibly expensive, developed stickers (really, she said stickers), that people put on their skin and these things are supposed to be wicked good at making scars disappear.

The one scar that is definitely noticeable is the IT band release scar. It is about 3 cm or so in length and is close to your knee, on the outside of your leg. You'll get this depending on how much you lengthen. That is also supposed to fade, but apparently a bit will still show, even with the cream. Maybe the stickers will work for that :). If not, you can opt for laser treatment to make it disappear, I suppose. I don't think it would bother me.

I'll be off forums for a while as I'm traveling. I hope this answers your questions. I have committed to posting a similar accounting for my visit with Dr. Guichet and will. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford consults with these excellent doctors, so I feel this is something that I can give back to others considering this procedure.

I have decided that I'm 100% going through with this. Unicorn's latest diary entries and the email from the patient I met during the visit with Dr. Paley convinced me, as well as a comment from a friend of mine considering another cosmetic procedure, albeit one that is not this extensive. Despite the enormous commitment, Dr. Paley's patient is so happy from doing this, and doesn't regret it for a second. The comment made by my friend is "I just want what I never got", and this makes 100% sense to me. I think we all desire these things to some extent, and it's socially acceptable and medically/scientifically possible to change your natural body dimensions, starting with something as simple as dental braces going all the way to extensive procedures such as CLL.

Last - I am now very uncertain on whether I'll keep a diary. This is a very personal decision, and the diary hijacks of several patients have made me really reticent about doing this. It is very upsetting to see people that go through such an incredible ordeal and give back to the community be questioned or castigated based on the doctor they choose, the choices they make, etc. I also realize that there are literally thousands of people having this procedure and the diaries posted here represent an incredibly small sample set of the CLL population, so I'm not sure I want to pollute general opinion of this procedure, in a positive or negative manner, with such a small sample set of data. I will keep detailed notes, and if I decide to post a patient diary, I will be fully transparent about my experience, while jealously guarding my privacy. I will stop posting the minute my diary gets hijacked by someone such as LLuser1, for instance, and ask that my diary be taken down.

Best,

--jbc

LLuser1

• Banned

I won't hijack your diary I promise
I'm not a bad guy, only concerned about some people taking bad decisions according to what I've seen.
Paley is the best of the best. You'll be ok. Go ahead and good luck
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

EndGame

Good luck with your journey!
Pages: [1]   Go Up