Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: working out after surgery  (Read 3391 times)

gettingtallersoon

• Visitor
working out after surgery
« on: August 15, 2016, 11:41:23 PM »

Hi there, I am a male in my twenties considering Limb Lengthening. My main concern is the loss of muscle and/or strength after the procedure. I am heavily involved in fitness. My question is, is it possible to do things like pull ups, pushups, upper body weight training after limb lengthening surgery? If so, how long after surgery must I wait? Fitness is a major component of my life so this is very important. Thanks.

onemorefoot

Re: working out after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »

Yeah, but it depends on the amount yo want and your pre-state. Usually with 6 cm means a great recovery.
Budget will determine my future.

gettingtallersoon

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »

I know it varies person to person, but typically how long must I wait before I could resume activities like push ups, pull ups, and upper body weight lifting? This is to lengthen my shin bones by the way. Thanks.

onemorefoot

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 12:32:59 AM »

Normally almost a year for weight and 6 months for running.

gettingtallersoon

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 12:59:48 AM »

So it takes that long to be able to do basic workouts like push ups and pull ups? also i was referring to weight training for the upper body on seated machines where legs wouldn't be involved. any idea on how long this could take? thanks.

onemorefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 01:26:43 AM »

1 year and 2 months can be an accurate answer.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:14 AM »

Check out KiloKhan diary he is working out and after LL.

Deads

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:59:33 PM »

So it takes that long to be able to do basic workouts like push ups and pull ups? also i was referring to weight training for the upper body on seated machines where legs wouldn't be involved. any idea on how long this could take? thanks.

Just want to chime in here... Common sense says that if you're using a machine that puts no strain on your legs (and there are many of them), you can train while distracting if you really wanted.. Ditch the push-ups for smith machine bench press. Pull-ups and rows generally require your legs to exert force in the opposite direction that you're pulling, or to have your legs hooked/held into position with pull downs etc. You would have to do variations of these exercises in order to avoid the tension that would be placed on the legs with these movements.. Again there are many. Do some research and you'll figure it out.

gettingtallersoon

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 04:31:32 AM »

Thank you for the awesome response! Yes, I thought about investing in some kind of chest press machine; finding replacement workouts for the back part seems to be the most difficult part. If you know of any workouts, I'd be interested in hearing all about them.

By the way, how common is relapse (loss of height) after limb lengthening of the shins anyway?

Thanks.

Deads

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 08:13:02 AM »

Thank you for the awesome response! Yes, I thought about investing in some kind of chest press machine; finding replacement workouts for the back part seems to be the most difficult part. If you know of any workouts, I'd be interested in hearing all about them.

By the way, how common is relapse (loss of height) after limb lengthening of the shins anyway?

Thanks.

Sometimes there can be a small amount of bone compression when you start weight bearing. Some people lose up to 5mm.. A good doc will avoid this from happening by ensuring that you are consolidated enough before you fully weigh bear... Also having a nail that allows full weight bearing from the get go will support your full weight and allow the bone to form without any weight pushing downwards on it while it's in its weaker stages.

With rows; any machines that supports your body wth a pad on your chest will allow you to exert the opposite force that's usually in the legs and feet into the pad.

Pulldowns, can get a bench and put it at about a 45 degree angle and pull the weight from slightly behind and above your head. The different angle will stop you from needing to have your legs hooked in.

gettingtallersoon

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 04:51:41 PM »

Thanks for the great answer! So once the bones fully heal there is no chance of relapse right? Also, will I ever be able to remove the metal from my body or will they need to stay in permanently. Thanks again.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:06 PM »

If you mean the internal nail it is mostly removed after bone fully consolidate.

Here is a good informational video:

Pages: [1]   Go Up