Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ballerina foot  (Read 5275 times)

ub40

Ballerina foot
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:32:01 PM »

I just had some questions for some of the veterans here.

I'm almost done lengthening and I have  bad cases (I think) of ballerina foot on both feet. Now I wanted to know how to measure them so I know if I'm in trouble and what I can possibly do to fix them.

I've tried standing for one hour a day in two 30 minute increments and various stretches. I have noticed no improvements.

Any advice would be appreciated
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Polycrates.

• Tyrant and Legatus Augusti pro praetore of LL Forum
Re: Ballerina foot
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:49:50 AM »

Continued weight bearing by standing for extended periods of time is the most effective way to treat it. It's how I got rid of mine over time.
Tibial LON for 6cm- Nov 2013, Dr Sringari -177/178cm to 183/184cm
Prospective Femoral Lengthening w/ Precise 3 (if out) Nail for 7cm- Jan 2019, Dr Birkholtz -183/184cm to 190/191cm

And it was here that he professed to his disciples: all of life's bounties lay somewhere upon the dreaded bell curve

Stripes

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 03:22:25 AM »

Stop lengthening immediately, that's the first thing you need to do. Trying to fix ballerina while lengthening is impossible, you need to fix it first before you continue otherwise you will make it much more difficult to fix later on. When you are standing are you standing barefoot? It's much less effective when you are standing with shoes. The best thing to do is wear a foot holder as much as you can throughout the day, and for a couple of hours each day attach weights under the knee while wearing the foot holder and try to touch your feet. Keep doing these stretches and you'll be able to fix it.

crimsontide

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:49:23 AM »

Ballerina can  sometimes only be fixed with surgery

Your dr should have   locked your ankles.

you have to measure ballerina by angle, not cm.  mine was bad too, and polycrates seems to still have issues with his calves/achilles

o the think i heard that works is undoing some of the lengthening.   turn the screws the opposite way. i heard from a member here that is the only thing that worked for him

achilles issues are very common when you lengthen tibias  over 6 cm.  I'd reverse some of the lengthening if I were you. Miht be the only thing that  prevents you from permanent issues

ub40

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »

Continued weight bearing by standing for extended periods of time is the most effective way to treat it. It's how I got rid of mine over time.

Can you give me more details like how long it took for it to go away? I just feel like I'm making no progress

ub40

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »

Stop lengthening immediately, that's the first thing you need to do. Trying to fix ballerina while lengthening is impossible, you need to fix it first before you continue otherwise you will make it much more difficult to fix later on. When you are standing are you standing barefoot? It's much less effective when you are standing with shoes. The best thing to do is wear a foot holder as much as you can throughout the day, and for a couple of hours each day attach weights under the knee while wearing the foot holder and try to touch your feet. Keep doing these stretches and you'll be able to fix it.

I just hit my max length today so I'm already at the much ! more difficult phase. The foot holder was a good idea and there was another patient here who was going to give/sell me his but then changed his mind right about the time it got too bad for me to wait to order and still be able to get it on.

As of now I'm standing barefoot for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 ! minutes before bed. It's painful as hell but I'll keep doing it if it's effective. I'll definitely try the wait on the knee and stretching. Couldn't even get a foot holder on at this point. Thanks for the advice

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »

How early did the ballerina foot come up? You're more likely going to need surgery to correct it if it appeared earlier in the lengthening phase than if it came up toward the end of it, where stretching is more successful at resolving the issue.

Are you able to walk? If you can, use your walker and walk around in a circle over and over for a half hour twice a day. If you don't have anything to keep your feet neutral during sleep it's going to take a lot longer to resolve through stretching.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

ub40

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:19:38 PM »

Ballerina can  sometimes only be fixed with surgery

Your dr should have   locked your ankles.

you have to measure ballerina by angle, not cm.  mine was bad too, and polycrates seems to still have issues with his calves/achilles

o the think i heard that works is undoing some of the lengthening.   turn the screws the opposite way. i heard from a member here that is the only thing that worked for him

achilles issues are very common when you lengthen tibias  over 6 cm.  I'd reverse some of the lengthening if I were you. Miht be the only thing that  prevents you from permanent issues

Ah Crimson, was hoping you would see this thread. Thanks for responding. Any updates on your situation?

As for me Surgery is not an option. I'm at 6.2 cm and while I would love to keep my gains I'm willing to go back to 5.5 if there's a significant difference, even more if surgery is the alternative

As for the measurements, how can I measure the angle and what would be considered a bad or hopeless case?

How did you know that there would be no more stretching in your case?

ub40

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 08:25:07 PM »

How early did the ballerina foot come up? You're more likely going to need surgery to correct it if it appeared earlier in the lengthening phase than if it came up toward the end of it, where stretching is more successful at resolving the issue.

Are you able to walk? If you can, use your walker and walk around in a circle over and over for a half hour twice a day. If you don't have anything to keep your feet neutral during sleep it's going to take a lot longer to resolve through stretching.

Unfortunately I got symptoms of it like tightness and knee pain when it was still under 2 cms but my ankles would straighten if I stood using the walker. At the 3.5 cm range is when my heels wouldn't touch the ground instantly when using the walker, past 4.5 no matter how long I stand the heels don't touch the ground

CCMidwest

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »

Unfortunately I got symptoms of it like tightness and knee pain when it was still under 2 cms but my ankles would straighten if I stood using the walker. At the 3.5 cm range is when my heels wouldn't touch the ground instantly when using the walker, past 4.5 no matter how long I stand the heels don't touch the ground

Man, that sucks.

Has your doc been any help?
5'7.5

ub40

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 04:25:40 PM »

Man, that sucks.

Has your doc been any help?

He told me it's at a manageable level. He also said going back a half cm would make things much easier. I think I'll give it a week of one hour a day stretching and standing to see if there's a noticeable difference. Just stopped lengthening 2 days ago

crimsontide

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 02:21:41 AM »

you measure with a protractor, or an experienced surgeon will  know by looking at it

only real solution for you is to   reverse some of the lengthening, maybe a lot

if that doesn't work, you're looking at a long struggle

ballerina needs to be prevented, because once it comes, it tends to cause lingering issues

ub40

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:27:39 AM »

you measure with a protractor, or an experienced surgeon will  know by looking at it

only real solution for you is to   reverse some of the lengthening, maybe a lot

if that doesn't work, you're looking at a long struggle

ballerina needs to be prevented, because once it comes, it tends to cause lingering issues

ok.. I understand how to measure angles but where am I measuring and what are numbers that should worry me?
Pages: [1]   Go Up