Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revealing feelings, being scared, doing it anyway....  (Read 5134 times)

paddy10tellys

Revealing feelings, being scared, doing it anyway....
« on: June 30, 2016, 11:47:19 PM »

I'm sharing/reflecting I don't expect a reply, reassurance or validation but I’m going to be honest because I think this forum desrves honesty: it is such a valuable thing for short people considering lengthening. Also, hardly any older people do this yet I am older. So, here is a slightly different perspective: I’m quite scared. I handed in my notice & quit my pension scheme & I’m having panic attacks because all was accepted and so now I’m leaving a job where I had respect & status (deserved, or not) since 1988. People I love/like/respect told me I should stay. They don’t know the reason I’m quitting is because I want to lengthen and I will not tell them. They would be horrified.  Even so, they have already replaced me (fair enough). So, I jumped & now the current has taken me & I have lost control…  this is not easy. Sorry. I don’t ventilate usually but this is why this forum is so great because I can, amongst peers who know where I am coming from… this is a really big step but just the first of many changes. I'm glad I can get this off my chest without being judged++ I might delete this after a few days if it seems naff when I re-read it. Surely other people must have felt this?
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: Revealing feelings, being scared, doing it anyway....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »

Being scared considering what type of surgery you will be going through is absolutly okay.
Keep cool and try to control it and be realistic about your goals.

Best of luck man.

CCMidwest

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

Come on man, I'm sure the status and respect at work was deserved! Don't put yourself down, you seem like a good guy.

Did you say which doctor? I probably missed it. Guichet? When?

Thanks for sharing how you feel, and good luck.

Praying for you man.
5'7.5

ortholengthening

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 02:16:54 AM »

It must be difficult for you to walk with balls so big.

Best of luck!!!

paddy10tellys

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:25:26 AM »

Thx guys. Things seem better after sleeping on it. 
Eyes on the prize...
Salameh in Oct, CCMidwest.
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

CCMidwest

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 12:37:09 PM »

Thx guys. Things seem better after sleeping on it. 
Eyes on the prize...
Salameh in Oct, CCMidwest.

More for my curiosity than anything, but why did you quit your job this soon before October?
5'7.5

paddy10tellys

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 02:52:36 PM »

I'm not actually finishing until sept 6th. I have given notice to quit in order to retire to get my occupational pension. I work in the UK NHS. The process takes three months. I will get a lump sum. That's how I will pay for the LL. I'll start working again when I've recovered.

ub40

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »

Good for you man, I did something similar as you and I don't regret it one bit. Just have the mentality that you will meet any challenge head-on
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

Ghostfish

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 03:58:48 AM »

Hi paddy10tellys

I think being scared is absolutely normal in front of this type of surgery.  Especially you are also sacrificing a lot for it.  That is really determination and bravery.  I will be scared when the time is coming to me.  Just from now on, try to be ready for LL. 
Wish you the best of luck!

By the way, can I ask you your age?  no need to be accurate and just a rough range could be good enough for me, since I am also old.  But I still need to wait for my time. 

paddy10tellys

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:22:33 PM »

I'm 56 years young Ghostfish... & I've still got my own teeth!

TIBIKE200

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »

I'm 56 years young Ghostfish... & I've still got my own teeth!

If I can be honest with you, I have spoken to an ex LL patient who did external tibias. He did 8cm. He was with the frames 1.5 years. He was also 10 years younger than you.

Think this carefully. I would suggest you to speak to another european expert on cosmetic external LL before making a move
I learned some stuff during this time

paddy10tellys

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 07:52:08 PM »

Which other European expert would you be referring to? Also, I recovered a lot quicker than some of the twenty-to-thirty somethings that I rehabilitated with in the "cruciate club" after I had my my ruptured anterior cruciate ligament repaired aged 47yrs old. Us older folks know what recovery from surgery is... I've done it quite a few times & I know many young folks who struggle to get fillings carried out on their dental caries... without wishing to be ageist, of course...

theuprising

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »

Were you going to retire anyway? If no how do you plan to re enter the workforce at an older age when competing against younger candidates? Or do you have in demand skills and age is not a factor?

Ghostfish

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 03:27:21 AM »

Hi paddy10tells

Thanks for answering my question.  I feel kind of weird to hear "YOUNG" since I haven't heard it for a long time.  But yes you are indeed older than me.  :)   I really repect your brave determination.

But, I just want to tell you that your goal seems a little too much since it is 7cm, if I am correct.  Although you will ultimately recover from it, it would be much quicker and better to do less than that.  I have read many topics in this diary.  looks like ~ 5 cm in tibias and ~ 7 cm in femurs are kind of safe limits for a reasonable recovery, although they will vary depened on indivisuals.  The recovery time will dramatically increase if one lengthen more than that.   When you do ll and reach 5cm,  better to listen to your body. 

Have a nice day!!

paddy10tellys

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 05:26:59 AM »

theuprising, I'm a UK family Doctor (a GP). There's a national shortage of GP's in the UK. Work offers won't be an issue

paddy10tellys

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 05:28:08 AM »

Ghostfish, it is 5cm - unless things are going really well & then it is 5.5cms

CCMidwest

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »

Ghostfish, it is 5cm - unless things are going really well & then it is 5.5cms

Your signature line says 7cm. (169-->176)
5'7.5

paddy10tellys

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 09:02:46 PM »

It was written before I new anything. Never got round to changing it. Anyway, nothing is set in stone, it depends on circumstances

Bigfaker

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 10:58:21 PM »

Hey paddy,

Congratulations on taking your first steps toward your LL journey. The "scared" part is a given, of course. I think only a deranged masochist looks forward to having his legs broken.

I recovered a lot quicker than some of the twenty-to-thirty somethings that I rehabilitated with in the "cruciate club" after I had my my ruptured anterior cruciate ligament repaired aged 47yrs old. Us older folks know what recovery from surgery is... I've done it quite a few times
I don't want to dampen your confidence, but just to give you some input from a fellow "geezer". I had always healed from injuries pretty easily too. My own ACL repair was a breeze for me as well. The difficulties I've had recovering from LL were well beyond anything I could have imagined. Non-union aside, the stretching of my soft tissues have permanently changed how they feel, it seems. Strength is coming back gradually, but I haven't had a day in which my legs were not sore since 2013. It's not a constant, all-day thing...but walking too long, standing too long, and most strangely, even sitting too long makes me want to lie down and stretch all my leg and lower back muscles.

If you're doing external-only, at least you won't have the damage to your knees that I have had. But whatever you do, make sure you work on your core strength (particularly in the lumbar area) while bed-ridden and wheelchair-bound. The amount of pain and fatigue that hits you when you get back on your feet is tremendous...and I can't help but suspect that it's intensified in us older folks.

Basically what I'm getting at is that you shouldn't look at it as preparing for a single "surgery". You should be preparing yourself for a severe, slowly-developing trauma to your body. And your plan to limit to a conservative 5cm is a good idea, IMHO. I only lengthened as much as I did because there was never going to be a chance in Hell I could/would go back for femurs.

Anyway best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 12:34:23 AM by Bigfaker »
Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18

paddy10tellys

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:41 AM »

Oh Dear, Thx, Bigfaker, I think... another, 'yikes' moment for me.
Sorry you had such a bad time of it & wishing everything settles down for you

Bigfaker

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:36:11 AM »

Thanks, paddy.

And sorry. Didn't want to scare you. Just wanted you to be aware of all the possible outcomes and to prepare accordingly. Though as someone who's probably studied medical research, I'm sure you're aware of the dangers of small sample sizes, anecdotal evidence, and false correlation.

And if you do want to discuss things like the effects of hormones on bone healing and ways we can best produce and regulate our HGH, I'd be happy to get into it with you.
Prev. Height: 5'-5.25"/165.7cm (Morn)
Ext.LON with Dr. Raj Sringari-Install: 12/17/13 * Lengthend: ~3"/7.6cm * Frm Rmvl 04/17/14
Diagnosd w/ Partial Non-Union: 02/09/16
Ankle Debridement Surg: 02/22/16...Rev. Nail/Bone Graft/Tenotomy-Loma Linda Med. Ctr: 05/12/16
Taylor Spatial Correction: 02/01/18

ub40

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 03:04:46 PM »

Thanks, paddy.

And sorry. Didn't want to scare you. Just wanted you to be aware of all the possible outcomes and to prepare accordingly. Though as someone who's probably studied medical research, I'm sure you're aware of the dangers of small sample sizes, anecdotal evidence, and false correlation.

And if you do want to discuss things like the effects of hormones on bone healing and ways we can best produce and regulate our HGH, I'd be happy to get into it with you.

I think people can differentiate between productive posts with specific info as opposed to people with illegitimate gripes looking for a place to vent/whine

170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

paddy10tellys

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 03:29:47 PM »

Yeah UB40, Bigfaker is OK. His input is legit & welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up