Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How risky would 3cm be on the tibia?  (Read 14084 times)

vaas

• Visitor
Re: How risky would 3cm be on the tibia?
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2016, 01:17:42 PM »

Your friends will notice and will tease you forever and will accuse you that you have uncertainties and psychological issues :)

I've already thought of a lie about my height increase. They know I do extreme sports, so telling them that I broke my legs would cover why my legs have scars on them, and stating that I did yoga and gained an inch wouldn't be hard to sell to people.

Anna21

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2016, 01:58:59 PM »

Try reading some literature regarding lengthening. Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed and type in cosmetic leg lengthening or click on 'advanced' and search up publications from the doctor you are interested in. You'll find that research has been done (obviously) and has been published and you can read about results and conclusions. I hope that helps ease your mind a bit and give you a better view of what this surgery is all about and what can happen, as well as complications.

vaas

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2016, 04:18:31 PM »

I just looked in the mirror at myself and realized that my tibia/fibula are almost the same size as my femur anyway, I'd say nearly 51:49. I guess I already have a decently long tibia/fibula, so maybe I should get an internal femur instead (if I were to do it)?

I'll check the link above, thank you for providing me a path! Would a femur be more risky than a tibia, the same, or less risky? I've realized that I definitely did have some stunting in my growth, since I remeasured my reach and it's about 6' 2". I hardly feel like I was meant to have a 5 inch difference in my reach to height ratio (imagine how monkeyish I look walking around with my big arms swinging at 5' 9.5").

LLCaptain

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2016, 12:23:22 AM »

3cm on tibias is very dangerous. You will never skateboard again, and when you lose the ability to do flips and grind rails, you'll just be a normal guy with a funny walk.

I have heard about people dying from complications from LL surgery. Read that one guy crimsontides diary.. he tells the truth about LL.

Anna21

• Visitor
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2016, 02:47:19 AM »

LLCaptain, I think you might be going a bit overboard...

crimsontide

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »

not going to die, but it's not worth it

life's too short. Wear lifts

vaas

• Visitor
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »

not going to die, but it's not worth it

life's too short. Wear lifts

You think 3cm on the femur (changed from tibia since my tibia/fibula are nearly the same size as my femur) would impact me that much?

aspirant185

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »

if it is only about 3 cm u really can wear lifts. Its such a small difference that people might not figure it out when u have or dont have the lifts. I think LL is worth it at the 5cm, unless u grow at least 2 inches, I dont think it makes sense to spend so much money, break ur legs, risk damaging your muscles and nerves. 3 cm is really nothing, it is difficult to even differentiate whether one is 3cm taller or no, unless you know that person very well and know how tall he is relative to you.
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

vaas

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 01:39:21 PM »

if it is only about 3 cm u really can wear lifts. Its such a small difference that people might not figure it out when u have or dont have the lifts. I think LL is worth it at the 5cm, unless u grow at least 2 inches, I dont think it makes sense to spend so much money, break ur legs, risk damaging your muscles and nerves. 3 cm is really nothing, it is difficult to even differentiate whether one is 3cm taller or no, unless you know that person very well and know how tall he is relative to you.

Would you say it's worth it at 4cm? I just want to get the most possible while sacrificing the least. I understand that, in that case, not doing LL is the only 100% guarantee that I won't have any complication, but I still want to be 'naturally' 5' 11". That's why I've come here, though, to ask about whether or not a small amount like 3cm - 4cm would be a better idea when considering LL surgery to retain athleticism and avoid things like nerve damage and muscle tightness.

My idea was to get 5cm - 6cm increase through two different sources, one being LL the other being a 1cm - 2cm gain from yoga (guaranteed). If the majority of people here feel it unsafe to do 4cm on the femur, or at least unlikely I'll be 100% in athleticism, then I probably won't do it at all and will just do the back stretching and hope for a 2cm increase in height + add my shoe height to my true height. I'll be at least 5' 10.5" at that point, which I guess isn't that bad.

Knik

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2016, 03:53:28 PM »

3cm on tibias is very dangerous. You will never skateboard again, and when you lose the ability to do flips and grind rails, you'll just be a normal guy with a funny walk.

I have heard about people dying from complications from LL surgery. Read that one guy crimsontides diary.. he tells the truth about LL.

In this level it's propaganda
Looking for Pili

Cheez

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »

Do you really think it would affect my performance that much? Would it affect all stair sets and coming off of, say, a 2 foot ledge/hubba?

I don't say you will never skate again, because that's bollocks. Also, you won't die from having an LL op (or let's say, the chances of you dying are as high or low as for any other operation).

You are probably a young dude, if you are still doing 10 stair sets. Why not enjoy that level of skating a couple of years more, until you are getting into other things in life a bit more which don't require such a high level of balance and foot/legs coordination. And then, do LL.

Even if you have a perfect recovery, which is certainly possible, whatever some people on this forum will tell you, you will still be out of skateboarding for at least a year and a half, in a time which might be your prime.

Do it, just do it a couple of years later.

You still have much time.

vaas

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2016, 04:32:54 PM »

I don't say you will never skate again, because that's bollocks. Also, you won't die from having an LL op (or let's say, the chances of you dying are as high or low as for any other operation).

You are probably a young dude, if you are still doing 10 stair sets. Why not enjoy that level of skating a couple of years more, until you are getting into other things in life a bit more which don't require such a high level of balance and foot/legs coordination. And then, do LL.

Even if you have a perfect recovery, which is certainly possible, whatever some people on this forum will tell you, you will still be out of skateboarding for at least a year and a half, in a time which might be your prime.

Do it, just do it a couple of years later.

You still have much time.

That's true. I guess I'll just stick to the original plan of doing those spine stretches for now. I'll still be 5' 11" in most shoes at that point, and it's not like the majority of people see me outside of footwear.

Cheers!

TIBIKE200

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »

Just do the calculations..
 Think what is worth more for you now or in the next couple of years. If you think that it's worth risking your skateboarding skills than by all means go for it. If not than don't do it.

It all comes down to gain/risk. Do the calculations in your head and you will know what to do.
I learned some stuff during this time

westercoasten

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

You can not wear lifts on the beach, och pool partys and stuff like that, not if you dont want to come across as awkward as f*ck, so lifts can only take you so far...

ub40

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »

It would be nice to hear from him. Hope he's alright...

Also, I think this thread is all hypothetical, because I think the reason we don't see anyone doing 3cm is because most come to the conclusion that it is not worth it. Especially if you are average to begin with.

I don't think the few guys here that talk about such small amounts will ever actually do it.

ETA: Ub40, how many cm's ya at now? Going well I hope?

Not great man, my fibula preconsolidated so I had to have another minor surgery to break it again. Not too much of an inconvenience but set me back 3 weeks schedule wise
170-176 cm, May 2016 still consolidating

CCMidwest

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »

Not great man, my fibula preconsolidated so I had to have another minor surgery to break it again. Not too much of an inconvenience but set me back 3 weeks schedule wise

Seems to be a common problem with tibia LL, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're making progress now though.
5'7.5

crimsontide

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2016, 10:16:51 PM »

no such thing as a perfect recovery

You have 0% chance of being 100% again. If that's okay with you, get the surgery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up