Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 252259 times)

doomsday

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #1023 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:58 AM »

I'm very suspicious about this diary. The more Unicorn writes about herself , and her stories about that urine bags and letting someone else get scolded, the more I realise that we read very subjective diary. We do not really know what actually happened. We had numerous diaries from Guichet patients and non of them was even close to this. How we supposed to know if she really followed his instructions etc? We dont know but we assume that Unicorn is saying the truth even though no one can verify it.
And then attention seeking on instagram, hash-tags, words like mansplaning etc, being single and childless  it really show that there might be something wrong with her.  Somehow we get for granted what ever she says without any scepticism. To  me she definitely has some mental problems but it is just my opinion based on how she behaves.

I would love to hear what Guichet has to say.

PAGrb490

« Reply #1024 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37:23 AM »

I wish you all the best!

you are truly my hero.

the words are not enough to describe how much admiration i have for your vitality and endurance.

Stay strong!

Bosnian2018

« Reply #1025 on: July 31, 2018, 02:16:13 AM »

I'm very suspicious about this diary. The more Unicorn writes about herself , and her stories about that urine bags and letting someone else get scolded, the more I realise that we read very subjective diary. We do not really know what actually happened. We had numerous diaries from Guichet patients and non of them was even close to this. How we supposed to know if she really followed his instructions etc? We dont know but we assume that Unicorn is saying the truth even though no one can verify it.
And then attention seeking on instagram, hash-tags, words like mansplaning etc, being single and childless  it really show that there might be something wrong with her.  Somehow we get for granted what ever she says without any scepticism. To  me she definitely has some mental problems but it is just my opinion based on how she behaves.

The doctor if geuine would not let her suffer like this and have a failed case under his belt.

Read the thread its easy to see she is quite intelligent

Crazy or not it doesnt take a genius to see she cares for her health and would do what it takes to recover

and the thread explains everything. The nail doesnt reverse. Non union.

myloginacc

« Reply #1026 on: July 31, 2018, 07:45:31 AM »

Even if you took Unicorn completely out of the equation, Guichet apparently doesn't even prescribe anticoagulants/blood thinners at any point of the the CLL process, from what was shared in this diary (by LLSouthAmerica - former Guichet patient too). That's how big of an ego he seems to have. "My nail is supposedly full weight-bearing, so I don't need to worry about giving my patients increased chances of death through DVT leading to Pulmonary Embolism, or the reaming of their bones leading to Fat Embolism Syndrome. No blood thinners (anticoagulants)."

I can't blame Body Builder at all when he calls him the worst option out there. If you have the money for Guichet, just go to Rozbruch and don't deal with this man.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

myloginacc

« Reply #1027 on: July 31, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »

Hi guys,

Someone asked me about a list of questions to ask potential CLL docs.  I came up with some and thought I'd share with you as well.  Always listen to your gut and don't let the docs off with evading difficult questions.  Insist on seeing walking videos and not merely photos - as desperate docs will get their patients to perform short bursts of stunts to look normal.  Feel free to add to these, as it's not comprehensive of course.  Just stuff that I wished I had asked more clearly and had insisted on transparency.  My attitude going into it was, "...others are stupid, I'm not, so it won't happen to me."  How arrogant and naive I was!

QUESTIONS
1. How many have they done so far in total?
2. How many with Precice and Stryde?
3. Breakdown by male/female, race and age group?
4. What’re the oldest and youngest candidate?
5. What complications have they encountered?
6. What was the worst case?
7. What is the smallest lengthening, biggest lengthening, average lengthening?
8. Do they repair congenital deformities or trauma or are they uniquely cosmetic only?  % btw CLL vs trauma cases?
9. How many nails broke?
10. How many non-union?
11. What does the price include (are complications included in the package price?)
12. Can you speak to several candidates (current and successful or failed?)
13. How do they filter who is a good candidate for CLL according to them?
14. How do they monitor during lengthening to ensure safety?
15. How do they minimize duck ass, X legs, wide legs?
16. What kind of painkillers do they use and supplements they recommend?
17. What are their preparation recommendation for undergoing surgery for potential CLLers?
18. What is the average months/years of their patients from surgery to normal walking gait?
19. What are the pros and cons of Stryde vs Precice vs ISKD vs externals?  What is their preference?
20. Do they prefer femur or tibia CLL?
21. Are pre and post xrays/medical testings/scans etc included in pricing?  What are extra costs to anticipate?
22. Have they turned away potential CLLers?  Why?
23. Do they let you go home to lengthen or do they insist you stay w them during the entire lengthening period?
24. What are the absolutely maximum length they'd let you do for tibia and femur?
25. Do they do unilateral and quadruple CLLs?
26. Are there ongoing lawsuits?  Past lawsuits?  What were the verdicts and why?
27. Has the doctor moved hospitals/countries etc.?  Why?
28. Has there been any death of any patients during/after CLL even if unrelated (like suicide due to mental instability?)
29. Has the doctor ever been suspended/banned or placed under investigation?  For what reasons?
30. Where did the doctor learn his CLL trade?
31. Who else would the doctor recommend if you didn't go to him?
32. How realistic is it to resume pre-CLL athletic ability including skiing?
33. Has the doctor observed long term effects from his patients like early onset of arthritis etc (does he even keep in touch?)
34. Can they suggest CLL surgery insurance?
35. Realistically speaking, if one runs out of money and there are complications, what is the doctor willing to do?

Thank you, Unicorn.

An important question is missing:
How many times has the doctor been sued by their patients.

Indeed.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

fokid

« Reply #1028 on: July 31, 2018, 12:38:03 PM »

Even if you took Unicorn completely out of the equation, Guichet apparently doesn't even prescribe anticoagulants/blood thinners at any point of the the CLL process, from what was shared in this diary (by LLSouthAmerica - former Guichet patient too). That's how big of an ego he seems to have. "My nail is supposedly full weight-bearing, so I don't need to worry about giving my patients increased chances of death through DVT leading to Pulmonary Embolism, or the reaming of their bones leading to Fat Embolism Syndrome. No blood thinners (anticoagulants)."

even dr parihar does not give anti coagulants from the 2 diaries here.

Body Builder

« Reply #1029 on: July 31, 2018, 01:53:12 PM »

Any doctor that doesn't give anticoagulants after a so invasive surgery as LL (epsecially internal) for at least 1 month after surgery is truly dangerous.

And Doomsday, a man who suffers from an illness or a doctor's fault usually becomes more sensitive and "unstable" as some people, who never had any significant health problem, would say.
But I can truly understand Unicorn as I was in the same condition after the crapy atl I had and I would have gone totally nuts if I havent fixed it.

So before judging so hard, think about what she says. She has a huge nail for her bone, Guichet force anyone to lengthen unstoppably for 1mm per day which could lead to non union and after all, she has a huge non union! How can that be her fault?
It cant. And Guichet is a butcher for prescribing antiinflammation drugs which are a bug NO during LL as they lead to non union, for forcing his patients to lengthen very fast, for not prescribing anticoagulants which may lead to death! and for so much more. And all these with almost the price of Paley but with an obsolete and useless nail.

So yes, that doctor is the worst out there for LL. Simple as that.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #1030 on: July 31, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »

And then attention seeking on instagram, hash-tags, words like mansplaning etc, being single and childless  it really show that there might be something wrong with her.

What an incredibly idiotic thing to say.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

onemorefoot

« Reply #1031 on: July 31, 2018, 04:45:19 PM »

Is common, dont get angry
Budget will determine my future.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1032 on: July 31, 2018, 06:03:14 PM »

I don't know if I told you guys but I have started coming out and telling people what I did to myself just because I couldn't keep up with the lies anymore of how both legs can be broken at exactly the same place.  First excuse, was a 1m rock climbing fall while harnessed but I swung onto a rock protrusion that neatly fractured my femurs at the same place.

And for other friends, I told them that I voluntarily got my curved femur fixed which includes an osteotomy and nail insertion because I was falling a lot at one point (NHS found the reason now, it's because I'm hypermobile and my ankle soft tissues are weak, so they don't hold me steadily - hence, ankle resistant band exercises).

Also the fact that I was paying by myself when in fact at the time, I was still covered by Merrill Lynch's AXA private insurance.  So I told everyone private care would pay only for a plaster cast and I would need to be in bed for at least a month minimum.  Hence, I opted for an elective self pay of £55k for weight bearing nails.  And these nails today are so high tech that they're telescopic too because in trauma cases a lot of limbs become disproportionate and need length correction.

But then when the right leg became longer than the left leg by 7cm, and then ranaway to 9.7cm - the stories became quite hard to spin.  My parents visited to take care of me for 6 months last year because I had run out of funds to hire a nurse, I had to click everyday and was crying in agony at each session 3 times a day.  My poor dad, at some point, he had to hold onto one leg so that I can rachet.  Imagine seeing your child in so much pain and not being able to do anything about it.  I'm so glad they came because I was a total mess.  Even my first consultation with NHS, I needed to be wheeled in by my father as I couldn't crutch that far.

Anyway, I continued lying to my parents that one telescopic nail on my right leg was loose and ran away, that's why I was 10cm taller and the difficult racheting process was to ensure that my left leg would catch up with the new height.  Whether they bought the story or not, they never questioned me.  I'm so glad that my parents were here, I was very angry at everyone at that point, there was so little hope and I was afraid that NHS would turn me down because I was a private cosmetic surgeon patient.  One medical student even told me I was defrauding the NHS system when I was admitted to A&E for infection because I had been under private medical care.  But during the first consultation, my NHS orthopedist cried, then I cried because she cried, then the nurse cried too.  Then we started laughing for being so emotional which, doctors and nurses usually aren't.  So I really lucked out and this is only because I was introduced to another Guichet non-union patient who was under her care.  He too was terrified that NHS would turn him away too because he ran out of funds too, couldn't return to his job and ended up driving an Uber just to make ends meet.

One time, I got an xray done while I was in Malaysia as it was 80% cheaper and even the poor orthopedic surgeon was so puzzled by the large non-union gap and nail.  He thought I got into such a terrible accident that pulverized a section of my femur bone and trauma surgeons had to debride the entire segment and insert a trauma nail for limb reconstruction.

So many lies...  finally, I told all my friends - not my family yet because I think they're the ones that saw me suffer the most and they would be very very very angry.  My brother had already asked me once if I did all this because I lengthened my leg, and I quickly denied it coz I fear their wrath and moreso, their disappointment in me.  How did I fail so much in life?

I have a boyfriend now and at first I lied to him too, and finally I decided to tell everyone.  I feel much better.  Most people are quite understanding.  One friend's mum even said she wants to do it because she wished to be 5cm taller her entire life.  Most people accept it like when someone says they want a boob job done (except we know the risks and technology are not the same at all).  We ALL have our INSECURITIES whether it's receding and hair loss, bad skin, weight issues, liposuction, height neurosis, physical looks and it's interesting to see that friends in my 40's age group are finally financially stable enough to realize their cosmetic surgery dreams and they're all going for it, little tweaks here and there.

So it's ok for me to get judged, whether it's attention seeking, instagram, being childless (which I mind a lot because it was a bigger dream than the career I had), getting married, having a normal life.  But like someone said here, I have to be sick in the head and I can CONFIRM, I AM sick in the head.  Anyone who's considering CLL has to be so traumatized from being short that breaking their legs is their last resort.

But saying that, I am so glad that more people are getting educated about the process and are smarter than we were 2 years ago, and more R&D money is being invested for easier and safer nails.  I've outlined many times, you can lengthen with so much less anguish and more success than we did because ISKD nails are obsolete even when 'weight bearing', they do break too (and of course, it would be the patient's fault...).  And seriously, all Unicorn haters and trolls should definitely go to Guichet for lengthening to get their own dose of medicine.

In this very imperfect world, with imperfect information and imperfect me, I'm just trying to shed a little more light in this burgeoning cosmetic surgery industry.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:53:57 PM by Unicorn888 »

rht

• Visitor
« Reply #1033 on: August 04, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »

Hey!

sory but I could not read all what written hier. Was was your recovery time after surgery? Can I got back to my Work in 5-6 Monts if all thinks goes well?
I am very althletic and train regularly 4-5 times a week.

I am excatly 180 cm and 35 years  old. What do you mean? Could I convince Guichet or Betz do this surgery with me?

Thank you in advance!

notatroll

« Reply #1034 on: August 04, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »

Any doctor that doesn't give anticoagulants after a so invasive surgery as LL (epsecially internal) for at least 1 month after surgery is truly dangerous.

And Doomsday, a man who suffers from an illness or a doctor's fault usually becomes more sensitive and "unstable" as some people, who never had any significant health problem, would say.
But I can truly understand Unicorn as I was in the same condition after the crapy atl I had and I would have gone totally nuts if I havent fixed it.

So before judging so hard, think about what she says. She has a huge nail for her bone, Guichet force anyone to lengthen unstoppably for 1mm per day which could lead to non union and after all, she has a huge non union! How can that be her fault?
It cant. And Guichet is a butcher for prescribing antiinflammation drugs which are a bug NO during LL as they lead to non union, for forcing his patients to lengthen very fast, for not prescribing anticoagulants which may lead to death! and for so much more. And all these with almost the price of Paley but with an obsolete and useless nail.

So yes, that doctor is the worst out there for LL. Simple as that.

Monegal has a huge ego too, he is dishonest, uses a faulty nail, gives bad lengthening instructions and forgets heparine. Check LLuser posts about anticoagulants.

Another thing people told me is Dr Monegal sometimes forgets important things. He forgot to prescribe heparine shots to the American guy whose implants failed. Gross failure.

I agree with Moose that diaries here are full of  . Bohemia's diary is disgusting. And that girl Musicmaker seems stupid. Promoting a doctor in a such a ridiculous way when you are screwed up for life doesn't make sense at all. I haven't met her but people told me she is wheelchair bounded and keeps defending him.

Don't believe a word of diaries. Dr Monegal controls every word they say.

I'm not a doctor, but If I were, I would be much more professional than this.

A good surgeon would never forget about heparine shots and would be much more focused than this guy in making his patients feel good instead of advertising himself in the forums and hanging out with patients for making money. I don't like hypocrisy when people say they are your friends and they aren't because they don't care about you and they are there just to take your money.

Monegal may be better than Indian doctors but not a top doctor, imo. For the same price, go to Jamal or Birkholtz. They at least are focused on patients’ recovery and don’t forget about important things, like prescribing heparine or X-rays.

Guichet is bad but I think Monegal is worse than Guichet.

Yeah Unicorn, ignore idiots here. Your feelings are normal.You're in good hands. You'll be OK.

Android

« Reply #1035 on: August 05, 2018, 01:37:09 AM »

Tragic journey Unicorn, but I'm glad that your situation is improving. Thank God for NHS. The friends and family that I shared my journey with have been supportive as well, and a few confided in me about procedures they'd like to pursue as well. Like you said, we all have our insecurities, small and large.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1036 on: August 06, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »

Hey!

sory but I could not read all what written hier. Was was your recovery time after surgery? Can I got back to my Work in 5-6 Monts if all thinks goes well?
I am very althletic and train regularly 4-5 times a week.

I am excatly 180 cm and 35 years  old. What do you mean? Could I convince Guichet or Betz do this surgery with me?

Thank you in advance!

Please see below, which is applicable for every potential CLLer parsing through which doctor, method and segment to lengthen.

THINGS TO CONSIDER

1.  Gender

2.  Age

3.  Starting height and desired height

4.  Race (some races like South Asians fuse faster while East Asians fuse slower than average)

5.  Smoking or non-smoking

6.  Budget + financial support/reserves (what happens if complications handicap you for 2+ years and you cannot go back to work or support yourself financially?  Most doctors will charge for each additional correction/surgery regardless of whose 'fault' it is)

7.  Is cosmetic surgery insurance specifically leg lengthening ones available to you?  The policy can be as cheap as €300 premium in Germany, for example.  It saved a few patients I know in Europe from bankruptcy and losing everything they have.

8.  Emotional Support (Will your family or partner support you?  Will you tell your friends?  How will they react?)

9.  What segment would you like to lengthen or both?
Femur (more length/faster healing/more pain) or Tibia (less length/slow healing/less pain)

10. Have you researched all the different methods and understand the pros and cons of :
-  Femur or Tibia
-  Internal nails or External cages
-  Manual clicking (ISKD/Ilizarov types) or Remote control (Precice type)
-  Non-reversible (ISKD type) or Reversible (Precice, Ilizarov types)
-  Weight bearing (ISKD/Stryde etc) or Non-weight bearing (wheelchair bound for months)

10.  How much FREE time do you have to 'disappear from the world' while you're lengthening and rehabilitating (do you need to return to your job, demands of your family, schooling etc. and what happens if you cannot recover for 2+ years?)

11.  How flexible are you?  (see next post to check how stretchable are your quads, hamstrings, IT band etc for femur lengthening/recovery)

12.  Are you disciplined enough (you know yourself best to take all the medication and do all the physiotherapy prescribed especially if you choose not to stay with the doctor throughout your entire lengthening journey which takes approximately 3 months)

13.  Are you willing to TRADE your current good health for potential debilitation, loss of loved ones, loss of livelihood/job, loss of self esteem/sanity, estrangement from friends and family (if things go very wrong?), being judged nonstop or ridiculed

14.  Does being taller change your life so much?  Are you currently suffering from short stature neurosis?

15.  State of mental health (how strong are you/can you overcome/forgive yourself when facing worst case scenarios, physical pain, betrayals, all types of losses, regret etc.)  Can you pick up the pieces of your shattered life and land back on your feet?

16.  Most importantly, why are you doing this?  You should be brutally honest with yourself about the reason(s).

I think these are questions you need to answer honestly (to yourself) to determine if you're ready for CLL and all its agony and adherent risks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:19:59 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1037 on: August 06, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

Here are 2 very relevant articles from Paley on risks (which I had to figure out myself as I descended through the 7 circles of hell) and a conference he gave on CLL.  Worth reading, watching and researching carefully.

COMPLICATIONS
https://paleyinstitute.org/centers-of-excellence/stature-lengthening/complications

PALEY DISCUSSION ON LIMB LENGTHENING

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1038 on: August 06, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »

HOW FLEXIBLE ARE YOU?  CAN YOU IMPROVE YOUR FLEXIBILITY?

Which will determine :
  • How much you can lengthen (without suffering duckass, wide legs, hunching, inner leg rotation for life or requiring further surgeries to release stiffened contractions).  Remember that it's easier to lengthen a bone than it is to lengthen your soft tissues.

• Rehabilitation time (which could be as short as several weeks or as long as years/lifetime without further surgeries to release the soft tissues)

HERE ARE A FEW TESTS
Which you can also use to prepare yourself before your CLL, every little helps especially yoga and pilates. 

These are not to be used for post-op physical therapy because they might not be suitable to your CLL method/IM nail/cage/doc instructions/potential injury.

HAMSTRING STRETCH TEST & PRE-OP TRAINING
Your hamstring muscles can lengthen and stretch, hence, preparation and training before CLL will expedite your recovery time and comfort.

QUAD STRETCH TEST & PRE-OP TRAINING
Your quad muscles can lengthen and stretch, hence, preparation and training before CLL will expedite your recovery time and comfort.

PSOAS STRETCH TEST & PRE-OP TRAINING

Your psoas can stretch but it is part of a bundle of HIP FLEXOR musculature.  Preparation and training before CLL will expedite your recovery time and comfort.

IT BAND STRETCH TEST & PRE-OP TRAINING
Unfortunately, your IT Band cannot lengthen, it can be stretched to a certain point and if you lengthen your bones beyond that, it will create knee pains, wide legs and duckass. 

When NHS released my IT Bands, I could suddenly stand up straight with very little duckass left, my left knee pain disappeared and my left leg no longer rotates inwards.  I realized that if I were not an ex-gymnast with hypermobile collagen, who was diligently doing all my PTs exercises everyday, my quads, hamstrings and psoas lengthened sufficiently to match the extreme accidental 10cm length of my right leg. 

But the ONE soft tissue that held me back was the IT Band because it cannot lengthen and it became the bane of my existence until NHS decided to release it. 

So there is some grain of truth about IT Band releases.  The rest of your muscles can stretch and lengthen to match your longer bones.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 12:36:34 PM by Unicorn888 »

Kotiki

« Reply #1039 on: August 10, 2018, 11:54:57 AM »

I apologize if this question has been answered - I may have missed it as I skimmed over the thread. When one of the nails ran away to 10 cm, or better still, while that nail was running away and had passed the safe mark of 5-6 cm, WHY didn't Guichet perform an emergency surgery, take out the faulty nail, shortened the bone to the length originally planned and inserted a trauma nail?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1040 on: August 11, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »

I apologize if this question has been answered - I may have missed it as I skimmed over the thread. When one of the nails ran away to 10 cm, or better still, while that nail was running away and had passed the safe mark of 5-6 cm, WHY didn't Guichet perform an emergency surgery, take out the faulty nail, shortened the bone to the length originally planned and inserted a trauma nail?

Hi Kotiki,

No worries, there're a lot of pages to parse through as it was written contemporaneously (and I'm verbose) without the 20/20 hindsight I wished I had.  So here's the brief version with a summary timeline :

Jul'16 - 1st surgery (London)
Aug'16 - Left leg broke due to eggshell fracture of 1st surgery
Sep'16 - 2nd surgery (London) to nail g-nail back on the left femur
Sep'16 - Right leg lengthening ended at ~7cm
Dec'16 - Discovery that right leg is non-union
Apr'17 - 3rd surgery (Milan) to start lengthening left leg
Jun'17 - Discovery that the right leg has run away to ~9.7cm
Jun'18 - 4th surgery (NHS London) to bone graft my right leg non-union (left leg fully fused with lengthening at my own pace of 0.3-0.5mm per day only, and I waited 1 week post osteotomy before starting to lengthen)

https://www.instagram.com/unicorn_gets_taller

Guichet had stopped my right leg lengthening at 7cm.  So I reached that height around end Sep'16 (about 65 days from 1st surgery).  However, when my left femur broke, my pelvis started tilting very badly (see pic below) to compensate for the crushed 0cm on my left leg and a progressively longer and longer right leg.

So, Guichet sent me to see his chiropractor and during one of those sessions, she accidentally clicked me and it hurt like hell. After that, everytime I bend my legs to sit or put my knees together or when I lie sideways to sleep, clicks would happen on its own.  I wrote Guichet asap and sent him a photo of a sitting position whereby, clicks would just happen.  He said it was not possible with the g-nail.  It is like when he brushed me off, declaring that it wasn't possible for my left leg to be broken from his eggshell fracture, and instead, diagnosed my 5-day excruciating pain as fast bone consolidation.  He even had me take meds to slow down fusing (!).

At first, I was psyched that these accidental clicks will give me a little bit more height than what I finished at, like maybe 2mm more.  But the clicking continued up to this May'18 before I had my right leg bone graft with the NHS.  I wear a full length right leg brace to sleep so that I don't click by accident especially when lying in a fetal position.

That said, we were all under the impression that my right leg was lengthened to 7cm-ish.  However, I was admitted to the Emergency Room because my skin started staining red (erythema) and my wounds sites from my 3rd Milan surgery of Apr'17 started oozing pus.  I had shown Guichet the inflammed wound sites at his office, and he said it was normal following a major surgery but I went anyway to A&E to double check.  When the head of A&E at Chelsea Westminster Hospital saw the weeping wound sites, he FREAKED, because it could potentially lead to infection of the nail and bone.  So they hospitalized me asap, I was given xrays, blood tests and IV antibiotics overnight.

Anyway, when the A&E head saw me the next day, he showed me on the screen that I wasn't 7cm on my right leg but more like 10cm.  I was quite surprised as I didn't think it could runaway that much.  I kept telling him his measuring systems were wrong.  I mean every 15 clicks = 1mm, hence, to achieve about 2.7cm (270mm) more, that'd entail about 400 clicks.  The math just doesn't add up.

That said, when I had my (last) consultation with Guichet, I told him about the hospital's findings and he measured my xrays and said, yes it actually is closer to 10cm now.  I was quite disappointed because I really thought my wellbeing and lengthening procedure were being closely monitored, especially for the steep price and sterling hospital reputation (HCA Group is the largest hospital group in the world and publicly quoted on the NYSE at a $36BN market cap - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_Corporation_of_America) which gave me a (false) sense of security and blind trust.

Guichet has since not seen me, and I had thankfully met another Guichet non-union victim who kindly persuaded his NHS doc to take me on.  Since then, Guichet's notes had been transferred over to the NHS and to my utter devastation, Guichet added in his notes that he warned me not to lengthen to 10cm but I had ignored him and went ahead in secret.  This accusation shattered me because after so much trauma, suffering, loss of livelihood/self worth etc, the last thing I expected was for my own doctor to hurl me under the bus to exonerate himself.  This emotional betrayal is not the kind of pain that I can easily relieve with morphine.

To move on, I started doubting myself because Guichet maintained that his nails can never run away.  But thank goodness, one other patient kindly wrote me and shared that she too had non-union and her nail ran away as well.  In her case, the other leg had fused and so she actually needed to go through a leg shortening surgery to rematch both legs :(  Same thing, when Guichet maintains that his nails are fully weight bearing and never break, the person who got operated 2 days after me in Jul'16 suffered a complete nail breakage through the femur bone in May'18 - two years on and this LLer was beyond consoling.  And I'm sure, if asked, Guichet would blame us.  Period.

Since then, I've had more people write me about ISKD nails and how they can easily run away after a few months of clicking (if non-union) because it cannot stop without the tension from bone consolidation/calluses nor designed to reverse.  So I am not crazy after all.  All this has done quite a serious number to my head because I lost so much self confidence and doubted myself in everything I endeavoured.

I sank so deep that some days, I really believe I don't deserve help, because I brought this upon myself.  That I'm even wasting precious NHS resources because of my reckless vanity.  Everytime I've a physio, psychologist, psychiatric and/or orthopedic appointment at the NHS, I somehow feel ashamed for stealing the slot of more deserving patients.

At the end of the day, what cuts me deepest ironically enough is... my own doctor could so nonchalantly whip up medical notes to exculpate himself first.  It's gonna take me a little while longer to regain my confidence.  I feel like I lost a lot more than physical limbs, I lost a big part of my heart.  The warm part that sees the best in people and believes in herself.  Instead, I find myself hardened, cynical and mentally scarred.  I'm learning to forgive myself everyday, it is the first step of my emotional healing.

SEVERE LEG LENGTH DISCREPANCY AND LATERAL PELVIS TILT

IMAGING (~curved spine, extreme pelvis tilt to compensate for the leg length discrepancy)

ONE WOUND SITE

HOSPITALIZED

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:04:10 PM by Unicorn888 »

Kotiki

« Reply #1041 on: August 11, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »

Wow, just wow.

Lucky, we have internet and the surgeons CAN be punished for  ty attitude towards complications. It sounds like this guy is still mentally stuck in the pre-internet era when a surgeon could get away with anything without risking their reputation.

Every surgeon will have complications. It's how they respond to them that matters.

Maybe, if you take him to court it will give you a closure?

notatroll

« Reply #1042 on: August 11, 2018, 10:13:43 PM »

These doctors are psycopaths. Be very careful. Thank God NHS is there for you. Other people can't afford any doctor. Take care

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1043 on: August 15, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you a little update since it might happen to anyone healing from LL.

Last Tuesday, while I was preparing to go to sleep, my right leg started getting achy and throbbing.  By the time I got myself into bed around 1am, I could barely move without triggering a stabbing pain the way a fresh fracture feels.  I was convinced my right leg fractured or the nail broke like it did to my other LL classmate.

I could not move my right leg because the moment the 'fracture/bone graft' area shifted 1cm, it erupted in 9/10 searing pain.  But since it was already 1AM, all I wanted to do was sleep it off and deal with it tomorrow.  But the pain persisted as I could NOT move AT ALL without incurring the wrath of my right femur.  Finally, I gave up!

I had to do something, get to my morphine and maybe icepack.  But I couldn't even stand or crutch or move without paralyzing torment.  So I removed the duvet cover from my comforter very very slowly, rolled myself like a springroll on it so that both my legs become a makeshift splint (egyptian mummy style) to ensure minimal movement.  Then I threw a pillow on the floor and using my triceps and abs (they're so strong after these 2 years), I slowly slid myself down ass first with my legs straight in front of me resting on the pillow while it glided forward.

The moment I touched the floor, I slowly rolled myself to my tummy and using the pillow under my femur as buffer, I crawled on my stomach using my elbows to propel myself forward (like army bootcamp) from my bedroom to my kitchen to get icepacks and then livingroom to get morphine.  I laid on the floor afterwards, completely out of breadth, depleted of energy and waited impatiently for the excruciating pain to recede.

After about 45 mins, nothing improved and I started to feel the room spining and nauseous.  I told myself I had better call the paramedics but my phone was in the bedroom (!).  So I held my breadth and forged forward with every last ounce of strength I have left while biting down not to quit from the merciless pain.  By the time I dialed 911 or 999 or whatever number (I learnt from CSI even though this is London), I could barely speak anymore.  I was panting hard, in agonizing pain, sobbing uncontrollably, heart racing, head numb/spinning, and I was very tempted to shut my eyes just to drift off.

Anyway, the ambulance came within like 5 minutes (there's a hospital next to my home) BUT I had no more willpower to open the door for them.  So I had to get them to pry it open for me.  My blood pressure plummeted to 60 to 65, I was barely coherent, mumbling important facts only and they hooked me up to nitrous oxide (laughing gas) which didn't live up to its name, it didn't make me laugh at all BUT it did calm me down and slowed down my breathing and palpitations.

They had to haul me from the floor onto a wheelchair coz a stretcher cldn't fit in my elevator and I live on the 7th floor.  I screeched so much as they lifted me in one swift motion onto the wheelchair that I think dogs heard me ultrasonically.  As they wheeled me, even the bump over the threshold of my door caused such an electric jolt, I woke several neighbours too.

Once we got downstairs, my building entrance has about 6 stairs and thank goodness, to the kindness of these paramedics, they carefully balanced my wheelchair horizontally on their shoulders (kinda like in a jewish wedding but without the festivity and dancing) so that I won't trundle down each step with those klunky wheels.  Even then, every movement including the final roll up onto the ambulance ram and one more body transfer from chair to bed proved too much for me to handle and I fainted.  They quickly hooked me up to an IV paracetamol painkiller, pumped oxygen and asked me to try calm myself as they were afraid with my 60 blood pressure, I would go into shock and then organs would start shutting down.

They wanted to drive me to the closest hospital that had an orthopedist on night duty but I promised them I would withstand the pain if they could drive 20 minutes to Kings College Hospital because my docs are there and so are my medical files etc.

Long story short, we made it, got to the hospital, impeccable professional service, got wheeled straight into mobile xrays where I just lay in my A&E trolley bed while they moved the modern machines around my body.  Got results asap and NO FRACTURE but rather, it looked like calluses started forming from my DBX bone graft and they could see some jagged edges.  Got tested for bloods, more IV drips of paracetamol and fluids.  I had to stay overnight until my regular doc sees me the next day.  By then it was 6AM, and my pain was managed well at 2/10 level.  I couldn't feel a thing but I was dead tired.

I zonked out for god knows how long and woke up to MY usual orthopedist doc staring down at me with her large unblinking eyeballs (mentally, I jumped out of my skin in sheer terror).  I explained the whole story, she was not really that sympathetic because I think she thought I was being melodramatic.  Trust me, I didn't want to call the ambulance either for a stupid leg pain but it got so unbearable, I was all alone, I couldn't even help myself, everyone's asleep and I even asked the paramedics if I was wasting their time with something so trifle.  It wasn't a gunshot wound, stroke or heart attack the way you see it on tv.

Anyway, I had to stay another night coz the bloods came back weird.  My white cell counts were high and inflammation indicators from my bloods were completely off the charts.  My doc pored through my xrays closer to see if there was perhaps a hairline fracture or nail breakage that they had missed.  But so far, nothing.  I was taken to MRI and CT scans as well.

Next day, my doc came to see me with a panel of her orthopedic team, and this time around, she seemed (suspiciously) much much kinder and more empathetic towards me (whassup doc?).  She said that my muscles especially those around the shoulders and arms were all inflammed and strained quite badly.  She asked me if I had struggled a lot before calling the paramedics and I started breaking down in tears.  I told her the stupid ordeal of finding a way to save myself by crawling on my tummy all over my house with a pillow as my life raft and duvet cover as my mummy-looking makeshift splint.  I had to be resourceful because the pain was insupportable.  People who have broken a bone before would know the pain, especially right at the moment of fracture when the sharps ends rub against each other.

I was discharged finally on Thursday evening and guess what, during this entire time, I forgot to wear clothes (because I always sleep nked).  As in, I was under so much duress, clothes didn't even enter my panicking head.  I was just wrapped in blankets and got discharged in a very stylish hospital gown, looking ready for a toga party.

So that's another mini incident.  I've since spoken to a few LLers and some non-unioners, and they say it can happen when your calluses are hardening and some parts might be rubbing other parts the wrong way and you get 'FRACTURE ELECTROCUTION' (not on WebMD, I coined this myself 8)).  She warned me that it could happen again but at the very least, I got a first sneak peak at my right leg xrays and there are hypertrophic calluses/clouds around my whopping 10cm non-union lengthened gap.  She says it's no guanrantee of anything because they could disappear as fast as they appear (kinda like the sun in London) but at this very moment - it was good news and that's GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME :)

CLL is fun eh?  Very eventful to say the least...  posted some pictures on insta during those moments.  Part PTSD came from the exact same pain when my left leg fractured and was left unattended for 5 days while Guichet was away and he was convinced it was just fast bone consolidation and refused to prescribe me morphine or painkillers (we were allowed copious quantities of aspirin).  Thank god for my wonder nurse who resourcefully grinded sleeping pills into my meals so that I literally slept through 5 days until Guichet returned to London and granted me an overdue consultation and xray. 

In both situations, I felt like a nunchuk, broken and dangling in 2 pieces.  It reminds me of starring in a sadistic magic show where I get sawed in half, except it happened for real.

https://www.instagram.com/unicorn_gets_taller/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:20:18 AM by Unicorn888 »

Petite888

« Reply #1044 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:05 PM »

Hang on in there beautiful!! You are truly one of the strongest and most inspirational people I have had the pleasure to meet and to now call my good friend.  Even in your times of pain you continue to want to inspire and help others! You are at the final uphill slope, the top of this personal everest you must climb.....stay strong!! 😘😘

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1045 on: August 16, 2018, 01:27:20 AM »

Trying to post a very touching video here of someone else, who humbles and inspires me.

CaptainAmerica

« Reply #1047 on: August 17, 2018, 06:25:07 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear. This story just keeps on getting more and more mortifying. Sorry if I missed this, but are you able to walk around unaided, and for how long? I hope you feel better, I really can't believe for how long this whole thing has dragged on.

Also, did they ever figure out what the cause of the pain in your leg actually was? It's very frightening that you can randomly have onsets of 9/10 pain for no reason after the surgery and especially after so much time.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1048 on: August 19, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »

Wow, sorry to hear. This story just keeps on getting more and more mortifying. Sorry if I missed this, but are you able to walk around unaided, and for how long? I hope you feel better, I really can't believe for how long this whole thing has dragged on.

Also, did they ever figure out what the cause of the pain in your leg actually was? It's very frightening that you can randomly have onsets of 9/10 pain for no reason after the surgery and especially after so much time.

Hey!  No worries, always trying to keep my chin up whenever wherever.  Kinda need to, can't wallow in sorrows all the time.  Would be such a waste of my new height.

Yeah, it was frightening and the bloods came back with very high inflammation markers.  NHS is making me go back every week now for blood tests to double check.  They think it's some random callus rubbing or pressing on a nerve or something.  Coz the pain only happened when I moved in the wrong position, exactly like when my left leg fractured.  If no movement, it doesn't hurt at all, but 1mm more and you're ready to give your right arm for the pain to disappear.

That said, I got a good peek at my recently grafted right leg and there are BEAUTIFUL cloudy calluses on one side, faint but round and bridged.  The underside has NOTHING and the doc explained that it's because they don't graft 360 degrees around the nail.  They can only reach 1 side.  So hopefully, as it solidifies, hopefully it will start to wrap around as well.  So I'm definitely not out of the woods.

I was promoted to 1 crutch and after last week's emergency, got demoted to crutches again :)  Well, at this point in time, as long as I've no pain, I'm grateful and I do try to live my life and ENJOY my taller self.

Will post some photos of society outings that I'm NOT GOING to let my botched up surgery to drag me down!

https://www.instagram.com/unicorn_gets_taller/

notatroll

« Reply #1049 on: August 22, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »

You're strong. I'm confident you'll be fine at the end. Cloudy calluses are a very good sign.

I also get random knee pains more in the range of 7/10. When I'm in pain I limp. My local doctor said I will get premature arthritis. Some people in forum told me this pain is related to retrograde approach. What do you think?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1050 on: August 23, 2018, 11:43:33 AM »

You're strong. I'm confident you'll be fine at the end. Cloudy calluses are a very good sign.

I also get random knee pains more in the range of 7/10. When I'm in pain I limp. My local doctor said I will get premature arthritis. Some people in forum told me this pain is related to retrograde approach. What do you think?

I think knee pains are so hard to diagnose.  It also depends if you did Tibia where it's more invasive to the knees. 

In my case, during my 3rd surgery in Milan, Guichet broke his nail inside me and had to hammer it out through my left knee, and ever since I suffered chronic knee pains.

So 14 months later, when NHS operated on me, they found a sac of liquid due to some kind of tissue abbrasion that was probably mangled when my nail got jammed out so barbarically.  Once the sac got drained and my IT band released, my knee pain completely vanished.

However, I have other Guichet classmates who are now telling me they feel early onset of arthritis.  I can't comment because I seriously have no idea and as you all know well, there is not sufficient research out there to document long term side effects of this surgery.

One thing for sure is, it is very INVASIVE irregardless of which doctor is operating on you because suddenly, your entire body has to deal with longer bones.  Hence, the proportion of cms you lengthen compared to your starting height does make a HUGE difference. 

And I don't mean aesthetics but rather how much strain you put your body under.  Coz remember, you need to grow bones, heal the post surgery shock your body endures, have soft tissues lengthen, overcome inevitable muscle atrophy and then, learn to walk like a normal person again.

I sincerely believe anyone can reach any height as long as they go slow (or fast) enough that their calluses are bridged at all times and they ensure their soft tissues can stretch at the same pace.  Then honestly, this surgery can be feasible, achievable and successful to all.

YellowSpike

« Reply #1051 on: August 23, 2018, 03:31:01 PM »

I think knee pains are so hard to diagnose.  It also depends if you did Tibia where it's more invasive to the knees. 

In my case, during my 3rd surgery in Milan, Guichet broke his nail inside me and had to hammer it out through my left knee, and ever since I suffered chronic knee pains.

So 14 months later, when NHS operated on me, they found a sac of liquid due to some kind of tissue abbrasion that was probably mangled when my nail got jammed out so barbarically.  Once the sac got drained and my IT band released, my knee pain completely vanished.

However, I have other Guichet classmates who are now telling me they feel early onset of arthritis.  I can't comment because I seriously have no idea and as you all know well, there is not sufficient research out there to document long term side effects of this surgery.

One thing for sure is, it is very INVASIVE irregardless of which doctor is operating on you because suddenly, your entire body has to deal with longer bones.  Hence, the proportion of cms you lengthen compared to your starting height does make a HUGE difference. 

And I don't mean aesthetics but rather how much strain you put your body under.  Coz remember, you need to grow bones, heal the post surgery shock your body endures, have soft tissues lengthen, overcome inevitable muscle atrophy and then, learn to walk like a normal person again.

I sincerely believe anyone can reach any height as long as they go slow (or fast) enough that their calluses are bridged at all times and they ensure their soft tissues can stretch at the same pace.  Then honestly, this surgery can be feasible, achievable and successful to all.

Oh sh*t...I had no idea he broke his nail inside you and had to hammer it out through your knee. Holy f*ck...Unicorn, I'm sorry...I don't know what to say.

I met some Guichet patients who were doing 8cm and up. I met one guy who did 9.5cm in one surgery...I actually don't remember his proportions looking bad. But the more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I stopped around 7cm. My body was definitely telling me it was time to stop, and I'm glad I listened to it.

I also will say from experience that clicking rods are terrible for bone callous formation and soft tissue recovery. I very narrowly avoided needed a bone graft on my left leg. Consider myself very lucky.

With Precice 3 (or whatever it's called) coming out, all other rods (Fitbone, G-Nail, etc.) are entirely obsolete. No reason to go to any of those surgeons, unless it's a matter of convenience (you're local) or cost.

notatroll

« Reply #1052 on: August 24, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »

Thank you for your answer Unicorn. It means a lot you find time to answer. Thanks and cheers

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #1053 on: August 24, 2018, 08:48:25 PM »

Oh sh*t...I had no idea he broke his nail inside you and had to hammer it out through your knee. Holy f*ck...Unicorn, I'm sorry...I don't know what to say.

I met some Guichet patients who were doing 8cm and up. I met one guy who did 9.5cm in one surgery...I actually don't remember his proportions looking bad. But the more I hear about this, the more I'm glad I stopped around 7cm. My body was definitely telling me it was time to stop, and I'm glad I listened to it.

I also will say from experience that clicking rods are terrible for bone callous formation and soft tissue recovery. I very narrowly avoided needed a bone graft on my left leg. Consider myself very lucky.

With Precice 3 (or whatever it's called) coming out, all other rods (Fitbone, G-Nail, etc.) are entirely obsolete. No reason to go to any of those surgeons, unless it's a matter of convenience (you're local) or cost.

Hi Yellowspike,

I agree fully with the launch of NuVasive's STRYDE weight bearing IM nail, it means no more agonizing/traumatizing twisting of the legs 15x a day, potential non-union (since nail doesn't stop or reverse), valgus on one side because both nails only twist in one direction etc.

I would say anyone who can afford STRYDE should definitely save up for it.  No one should suffer the way we did.  And even when manual Albizzia type nails are used, doctors usually wait 1 week post-op before starting to click/lengthen.  Hence, it allows the body to recover a bit from the invasive surgery instead of clicking ASAP right after the femurs are freshly broken, which causes our PTSD.

Guichet also accidentally pierced through my iliac crest during my 3rd surgery while extracting marrow to inject into my non-union right leg.  Hence, the DVT scare.  I've come to a point where I truly believe that there's bad luck and then, there's also incompetence/neglect/arrogance on the part of the doctors.

Someone reminded me again about MasterHY's diary on the old MakeMeTaller site from 2013 which is quite similar to mine where we were initially so enthusiastic and in complete adulation of our doctors to discover that the moment complications happen, we all get abandoned, dismissed and swept under the rug.

So yes, there is a bunch of us...  sort of hanging around haunting these doctors because of the way they handled complications.  And we won't stop until we're healed no matter how many years it takes.

-  Precice/Stryde Nails are FDA approved
-  Precice/Stryde Nails can stop and reverse (hence, practically no more risk of non-union and easier for soft tissue to stretch)
-  Precice/Stryde Nails come in antegrade and retrograde (hence, less/no more risk of valgus)
-  Precice/Stryde Nails do not require the hundreds of leg twisting/racheting to lengthen the nail
-  Precice/Stryde Nails are also smaller in diameter which might not OVER REAM the bone canal which can cause non-union
-  However, Precice/Stryde nails might become problematic if someone fuses too fast because if consolidation is more solid than the mechanism can lengthen, then you'd need to be content with your height or rebreak your bone again (all these complications can be avoided today with careful and frequent monitoring)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 09:33:01 PM by Unicorn888 »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44   Go Up