Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 252120 times)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #713 on: September 19, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »

Hi Unicorn,I'm checking your progresses when I have time on your instagram profile.
155k£ are a lot of money,no doubt....I don't know what to say,besides the huge ammount of money,in my opinion your doctor had the worst behaviour I have ever seen.I hope he will get the right punishment that he deserves (maybe losing potential patients after you experience)
By the way you are a so strong girl that you will made it.
I like your hacrapags (I remeber "iwillwalkagain" and "heightneurosissuck") and your determination.
I saw a comparison picture of before and after and you have made improvements.
For your right leg,have you tried a bone stimulator machine like is doing now Rgkey ? I guess bone graft is not enough for 10 cm of discrepancy
I have read almost all of diaries(including yours) but I don't remeber all details,so sorry if I'm asking nonsense questions
Edit:i rembered some details,and there is also the option of relenghtening with the Precice system

Hi Dreamer,

Thank you so much for checking up on me.   Yes, I've asked Rgkey and while I didn't get an exact response, I think we have a similar light ultra sound bone stimulator.  His is 10 hrs per day while mine is only maxed at 20 mins per day :))))

Anyway, I'm supposed to post more xrays but can't seem to get any external disk drives to work.  So am working out that first.  Seems like left leg healed beautifully but nothing at all on right leg :(   It's definitely an official non-union of 10cm.

Mr Sarcastic

• Visitor
« Reply #714 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »

Dr. Guichet seems like such a loving and caring doctor. A doctor who goes out of his way to provide the best possible care imaginable. A doctor who will go that extra mile for each and everyone of his patients. A true selfless man who doesn't care about money.

I also love the way he promotes that his patients have lengthened 10cm or more on one bone segment in the automated email you receive when you first contact him. That's how you set safe and realistic expectations for future patients. Clearly his focus is safety first.
banned for usage of hostility/insult/name-calling/ toward other users.

The Dreamer

« Reply #715 on: September 19, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Hi Dreamer,

Thank you so much for checking up on me.   Yes, I've asked Rgkey and while I didn't get an exact response, I think we have a similar light ultra sound bone stimulator.  His is 10 hrs per day while mine is only maxed at 20 mins per day :))))

Anyway, I'm supposed to post more xrays but can't seem to get any external disk drives to work.  So am working out that first.  Seems like left leg healed beautifully but nothing at all on right leg :(   It's definitely an official non-union of 10cm.
No problem Unicorn,you are one of the fewest patient that I trust,it's obvious that I will follow your condition.
So you stated having 100% a non-union on right leg while left is 100% healed(in the sense that ,if you want,you could put all of your body wheight on it ? Or you assumed by looking x-rays ? Or simply your doc gave ok ?)
Regarding bone stimulator (I don't know if it is Exogen in your and Rgkey case) you could wait and see if Rgkey will experience improvements.In that case you could move on Rgkey's model (10 hrs per day) because you said your machine has a maximum ammount of 20 minutes
It is strange seeing soo much timing difference between two devices that have the same purpose
●Do LL but do not let it obsess you

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #716 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »

No problem Unicorn,you are one of the fewest patient that I trust,it's obvious that I will follow your condition.
So you stated having 100% a non-union on right leg while left is 100% healed(in the sense that ,if you want,you could put all of your body wheight on it ? Or you assumed by looking x-rays ? Or simply your doc gave ok ?)
Regarding bone stimulator (I don't know if it is Exogen in your and Rgkey case) you could wait and see if Rgkey will experience improvements.In that case you could move on Rgkey's model (10 hrs per day) because you said your machine has a maximum ammount of 20 minutes
It is strange seeing soo much timing difference between two devices that have the same purpose

Actually to begin with, the guichet nail is supposed to be 100% fully weight bearing.  However, since Guichet had used 13mm nails which is large for petite females like me, both Guichet and my NHS doc had told me not to bear weight fully on the right leg since the cortices are thin.

The left leg has calluses that have joined but obviously the 'bones' are still very soft.  I'm walking with even pressure on each leg with crutches to try continue stimulate growth but as always, it is about striking that fine balance between walking enough to grow bones and not walking too much that break bones  >:(

And yeah, I wish I'd know Rgkey's bone stimulator machine because Exogen only allows so few minutes compared to his 600 minutes per day.  When you cannot grow bones, you become desperate to get more of ANYTHING :)  Our Whassap group of non-unioners are constantly obsessing over one miracle or another...  :'( with no proven results so far except for time

Body Builder

« Reply #717 on: September 20, 2017, 12:17:27 AM »

Unicorn, no machine can close a 10cm bone gap.
Don't put your time and effort to something that it is impossible to work.

Try to put precise 2 as soon as you can to your non aligned leg and begin to reverse lengthening till you start to have callus formation. Then you can use bone stimulants and all these machines to have a little faster consolidation. But till then anything else is pointless.

The Dreamer

« Reply #718 on: September 20, 2017, 01:32:11 AM »

Actually to begin with, the guichet nail is supposed to be 100% fully weight bearing.  However, since Guichet had used 13mm nails which is large for petite females like me, both Guichet and my NHS doc had told me not to bear weight fully on the right leg since the cortices are thin.

The left leg has calluses that have joined but obviously the 'bones' are still very soft.  I'm walking with even pressure on each leg with crutches to try continue stimulate growth but as always, it is about striking that fine balance between walking enough to grow bones and not walking too much that break bones  >:(

And yeah, I wish I'd know Rgkey's bone stimulator machine because Exogen only allows so few minutes compared to his 600 minutes per day.  When you cannot grow bones, you become desperate to get more of ANYTHING :)  Our Whassap group of non-unioners are constantly obsessing over one miracle or another...  :'( with no proven results so far except for time
Now I have fully understood your situation.Well you should Pm Rgkey asking him what kind of device is he using,he is a great guy and always responds soon.
However maybe Bodybuilder is right and 10 cm gap is too large.But I remember you saying that your NHS doctor was reluctant to do more operation (for Precice) to your left leg because it have suffered already a lot of trauma.
Are you still under NHS insurance ? What did your doc recommend you to do ? Because  I have no medical credentials and my opinion worths zero cents...

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #719 on: September 20, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »

Unicorn, no machine can close a 10cm bone gap.
Don't put your time and effort to something that it is impossible to work.

Try to put precise 2 as soon as you can to your non aligned leg and begin to reverse lengthening till you start to have callus formation. Then you can use bone stimulants and all these machines to have a little faster consolidation. But till then anything else is pointless.

You're right Body Builder :)   It's all a pipe dream, I know.  Nothing can fuse a 10cm gap, definitely not bone marrow aspirate or any type of ultrasound or magnetic machine.

We can only dream because we're desperate to reclaim our lives.  I cannot even begin to explain to you the kinds of depression and sorrow we go through.

I've just received a message from some troll on eBay asking me to post more photos of a dress and I had asked her to wait because I need my cleaning lady to put the dress on the mannequin and take photos.  She writes back, "well if you can type, you can post.  So don't bull  about your f***ing handicap".

I know I'm supposed to ignore these types of comments but sometimes it's the straw that breaks the camel's back.  And these days, I just have so little energy left to deal with life.  I can understand why some people end their lives.  It's so bleak sometimes because everything is painful and out of reach, that you don't mind if you don't see another day.

Can you imagine?  I'm so sensitive that I let an eBay troll get to me???  What have I become?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #720 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:40 PM »

Now I have fully understood your situation.Well you should Pm Rgkey asking him what kind of device is he using,he is a great guy and always responds soon.
However maybe Bodybuilder is right and 10 cm gap is too large.But I remember you saying that your NHS doctor was reluctant to do more operation (for Precice) to your left leg because it have suffered already a lot of trauma.
Are you still under NHS insurance ? What did your doc recommend you to do ? Because  I have no medical credentials and my opinion worths zero cents...

That's hilarious Dreamer!  Actually, your asking about my case shows interest.  And interest, at this point for me is empathy :)  So you are still making a difference in someone's life :)  A foresaken one :)

A 10cm non-union is too large, that's correct.  And NHS was saying that their most successful attempt at grafting with hip bone + cadaver bone mixture is 5cm.  They were proposing to do this once they get all my full tests to ensure that I've no infection of any kind where my bone is rendered useless. This can easily happen.  And if that's the case, they'll graft with a cadaver bone.  It's by all means not without its own set of complications, risks and guarantees.  Just another coin toss.

Other options which they can consider is changing to trauma nails and shorten the gap.  My wish is to change to Precice 2, shorten it and wait for calluses to grow before re-lengthening to match my other leg which nobody really knows the final length.  Somewhere btw 8-9cm I think.

That said, I personally am a layman as well and do not even know if my nails can be removed and Precice 2 can be used, and that shortening will not damage my soft tissues etc.

I'm kinda stuck for the time being.   I'm sitting in NYC now on my way to Hawaii for my brother's wedding where I'm not supposed to appear in wedding photos using crutches.  So we'll have to see what I can muster without tumbling into a volcano.  I'm not a virgin (surprise surprise!) so, it's not like I'm going to appease any Gods with my sacrifice  ;D

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 08:13:56 PM by Unicorn888 »

The Dreamer

« Reply #721 on: September 20, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »

That's hilarious Dreamer!  Actually, your asking about my case shows interest.  And interest, at this point for me is empathy :)  So you are still making a difference in someone's life :)  A foresaken one :)

A 10cm non-union is too large, that's correct.  And NHS was saying that their most successful attempt at grafting with hip bone + cadaver bone mixture is 5cm.  They were proposing to do this once they get all my full tests to ensure that I've no infection of any kind where my bone is rendered useless. This can easily happen.  And if that's the case, they'll graft with a cadaver bone.  It's by all means not without its own set of complications, risks and guarantees.  Just another coin toss.

Other options which they can consider is changing to trauma nails and shorten the gap.  My wish is to change to Precice 2, shorten it and wait for calluses to grow before re-lengthening to match my other leg which nobody really knows the final length.  Somewhere btw 8-9cm I think.

That said, I personally am a layman as well and do not even know if my nails can be removed and Precice 2 can be used, and that shortening will not damage my soft tissues etc.

I'm kinda stuck for the time being.   I'm sitting in NYC now on my way to Hawaii for my brother's wedding where I'm not supposed to appear in wedding photos using crutches.  So we'll have to see what I can muster without tumbling into a volcano.  I'm not a virgin (surprise surprise!) so, it's not like I'm going to appease any Gods with my sacrifice  ;D
Unicorn,don't let those stupid things to worse your mood.You must continue to fight so leave out "suicide" and other useless thoughts.I know it is easy speaking for me since i didn't LL and didn't pass the hell you have been through but usually when I feel bad for something,I try to focus upon positive things.It is hard but it worths a try.
Now you are under NHS care so you are safe and I'm sure they will do their best to take care of you
Having said that,I'm understanding that they still have to get all you tests in order to take a decision on which option is better.I'm guessing they will take also xRays of your right to leg to aknowledge the exact lenght of the distraction
However when you feel lonely or want to talk with someone feel free to Pm me,you're not alone
Now I don't want to bother you since a long trip is wainting for you (19 hrs right 😉 ?),a wedding it seems to me the best moment to take a rest recharging your batteries and Hawaii is surely a wonderful country and the right place to do that

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #722 on: September 21, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »

In a 100% successfully planned and conducted LL surgery, a 10 cm gap isn't even supposed to happen, is it? The fault wasn't your own, but the one of the surgeon and the post-surgery care. I still shake my head over the accidental clicking and lengthening your leg with the internal nail that caused this gap. And internal nails were supposed to be an advancement over the "antiquated" Ilizarov frames, which is also why they're a lot more expensive. I think we can assume that with a traditional external lengthening, most of the problems you have today would not have come to exist. Yes I know, you did femurs, but if we entertain the thought that you had done external tibias or femurs instead, we can come to the conclusion that the complications would not have happened. Of course that's not useful, except for future patients.

It baffles me how much professional failure has become apparent in your case, with a procedure that has cost so much money. Amazing. I keep rooting for you, even though I'm a little scared to open your diary and read more dire news. Stay strong.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Knik

« Reply #723 on: September 21, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »

In a 100% successfully planned and conducted LL surgery, a 10 cm gap isn't even supposed to happen, is it? The fault wasn't your own, but the one of the surgeon and the post-surgery care. I still shake my head over the accidental clicking and lengthening your leg with the internal nail that caused this gap. And internal nails were supposed to be an advancement over the "antiquated" Ilizarov frames, which is also why they're a lot more expensive. I think we can assume that with a traditional external lengthening, most of the problems you have today would not have come to exist. Yes I know, you did femurs, but if we entertain the thought that you had done external tibias or femurs instead, we can come to the conclusion that the complications would not have happened. Of course that's not useful, except for future patients.

It baffles me how much professional failure has become apparent in your case, with a procedure that has cost so much money. Amazing. I keep rooting for you, even though I'm a little scared to open your diary and read more dire news. Stay strong.

totally right.
Looking for Pili

Datum

« Reply #724 on: September 21, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »

Are you doing magnets? Why not teriparatide?
Banned: Using Multiple Accounts (Datum)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #725 on: September 23, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »

Are you doing magnets? Why not teriparatide?

I'm doing Exogen which is a light ultra sound.  As Bodybuilder pointed out, chances are it wouldn't fuse a 10cm gap esp since there're no calluses.

That said, my poor NHS doc keeps telling me, PLEASE STOP GOING ONLINE TO RESEARCH about bone fusion since you've so much time on your hands and are so desperate  :D

It is quite funny because that's all I do every day...  thinking about teriparatide, insuline-like growth factor 1, HGH, bone printing tech etc. and the more I search, the deeper I lose myself inside the dark net :)

Before we know it, I'll be drug dealing on Silk Road  ;D ;D ;D   My second calling in life!

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #726 on: September 23, 2017, 12:39:44 AM »

Unicorn,don't let those stupid things to worse your mood.You must continue to fight so leave out "suicide" and other useless thoughts.I know it is easy speaking for me since i didn't LL and didn't pass the hell you have been through but usually when I feel bad for something,I try to focus upon positive things.

@Dreamer and @IwannaBeTaller, you're both absolutely RIGHT!  I scare myself too and I shouldn't scare forum readers.

I have to reel in my emotions a little better because I'm stuck where I am and I cannot wallow in depression nonstop.  I'll try my very best to look at the sunny side of life even if I've to fake it 'til I make it  ;)

jimpoFr

• Visitor
« Reply #727 on: September 23, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »

This thread is so scary, all my support for you unicorn, there will come a day where you will be fine again...

I trusted dr guichet so much before this, i was even planning to go with him for this summer, but right now i don't know what to think...

« Reply #728 on: September 24, 2017, 04:03:37 AM »

I'm doing Exogen which is a light ultra sound.  As Bodybuilder pointed out, chances are it wouldn't fuse a 10cm gap esp since there're no calluses.

That said, my poor NHS doc keeps telling me, PLEASE STOP GOING ONLINE TO RESEARCH about bone fusion since you've so much time on your hands and are so desperate  :D

It is quite funny because that's all I do every day...  thinking about teriparatide, insuline-like growth factor 1, HGH, bone printing tech etc. and the more I search, the deeper I lose myself inside the dark net :)

Before we know it, I'll be drug dealing on Silk Road  ;D ;D ;D   My second calling in life!

buddy, I am sure you will recover, god takes care of good people, it may take some time. I used to have great opinion of Guichet (since he is a pioneer in LL field) - but this - is not good result from him.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #729 on: October 01, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

Hi everyone!

I wanted to be more positive for you guys pre-LLers.   So here I'm going to post some very extreme stretching techniques to help you prepare for lengthening.

Regardless of what anyone's trying to sell you, you don't heal automatically from LL after reaching your height (the only thing automatic is your doctor's work is done at this point).  After that, you have to regain muscle strength, bear weight, walk without crutches and finally regain your normal walking gait.  And it takes time!  It takes up to one year depending on how far you lengthen.  Also, everyone is right, don't go beyond 6cm to be on the safe side.  WHY?

Because while you can lengthen your femur bones, you cannot lengthen your soft tissues that fast.  Hence, keep your lengthening rate SLOW.  The slower you go, the less risk of non-union (watch your xrays every 2 weeks to ensure you've beautiful calluses that join).  If you don't have them, STOP lengthening until calluses grow.  Remember, the goal is not who can lengthen fastest, the goal is who can regain their normal life back fastest.  And sometimes, slower is faster.

It reminds me of the time I went up Kilimanjaro with a troupe of about 10.  And I was always put in front (first yay!) even though there were some expert climbers and rock solid guys behind me who were constantly complaining about our slow pace BECAUSE OF ME, the slow poke from Manhattan who didn't train for Kilimanjaro and cared more that all her North Face gear was matchy matchy in chic red and grey.  When I finally asked the climbing guide why I was put in front, he said it's to ensure 100% success.  Boy I felt amazing!  Hah!  Me, hero for once!  And then he says, "To achieve 100% success rate, I put the weakest and slowest in front, that way everyone else behind her will be safe and will make it up the peak".  What a blow to my self esteem!  I could literally hear my ego puncture like a deflated balloon and farted away like a whoopie cushion.  Hence, slower is sometimes faster!  That's the motto!

Anyway, that said, I thought I'd dedicate this post to those who want to know what are the best ways to stretch because everyone knows that flexibility is key, but for what?  It is not to make the lengthening faster, longer or more painless.  It's for avoiding duck ass, lordosis, scoliosis etc because when your soft tissues cannot catch up with your new height, you become strung like a marionette.  Basically, your hamstrings, quads, IT bands, psoas and illiacus are too short for your longer bones.  So you end up crunched up with an anterior pelvis tilt which results in duck ass (lordosis), an inverted knee (genu valgum) and ballerina feet.

I've posted the IDEAL stretches and they look IMPOSSIBLE, but it's just a guide for you to achieve.  The good news is soft tissues can be stretched out and it takes time and effort, exactly like homework.  The more flexible you become, the longer you can lengthen and the less problems you'll have with recovery.  So don't be discouraged with these impossible poses, I'm just showing you what end goal you wanna get to if you want to train hard for your lengthening.  And there are other exercises if you google that will show you milder ways to get here.  But the more you improve your flexibility, the better your LL experience will be :)

STRETCHING QUADS

STRETCHING HAMSTRINGS

STRETCHING PSOAS

STRETCHING IT BAND

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 04:40:21 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #730 on: October 01, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »

Here are my latest xrays as of yesterday.

RIGHT LEG
Still nothing but I'm hallucinating a little more calluses

LEFT LEG
Beautiful calluses (fingers crossed), I had reduced my lengthening to abt 3 clicks a day instead of 15 clicks, hence only 0.2mm per day

Annalisa

« Reply #731 on: October 02, 2017, 03:11:11 PM »

Is doing 30 minutes at day of yoga youtube videos good enough to reach ideal flexibility in the long term?

doomsday

« Reply #732 on: October 02, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »

Here are my latest xrays as of yesterday.

RIGHT LEG
Still nothing but I'm hallucinating a little more calluses

LEFT LEG
Beautiful calluses (fingers crossed), I had reduced my lengthening to abt 3 clicks a day instead of 15 clicks, hence only 0.2mm per day

I really dont understand what are you doing right now. What is the point of lengthening left leg 0.2 mm per day? The right leg is you reference point. Because there is no callous formation you need to start pressing NHS on taking some action. IMHO stop immediately lengthening left leg. If it is 8 cm or whatever keep it that way. Stop pushing you soft tissue and let it regenerate. The right leg needs to be shorten in order to reignite callous formation. They should shorten right leg which should help a bit then re nailing should also help and maybe additional bone graft. Those 3 should make a difference. If not. Precise 2, shortening (as much as needed) to start callous formation and the re lengthening to match left leg.  P2 got only 8 cm so i dont understand why you keep lenghtening. There is no callous formation on the right leg so trying match it with the left leg makes absolutely no sense.

Edit
I need to be harsh with you. You f*ckin need leg shortening in order to take some pressure off you soft tissue. Ive seen the way you walk and if you can recover from that in few year(yes years!) then I think it would be close to miracle. Its not only your bone but muscle tendons etc and right now it looks bad. If you shorten right leg by even 2 cm that will help a lot and will definitely speed up recovery.
I know it sounds negative and discouraging but I really think you can still walk normal. Height is no longer you priority.

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #733 on: October 02, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »

I really dont understand what are you doing right now. What is the point of lengthening left leg 0.2 mm per day? The right leg is you reference point. Because there is no callous formation you need to start pressing NHS on taking some action. IMHO stop immediately lengthening left leg. If it is 8 cm or whatever keep it that way. Stop pushing you soft tissue and let it regenerate. The right leg needs to be shorten in order to reignite callous formation. They should shorten right leg which should help a bit then re nailing should also help and maybe additional bone graft. Those 3 should make a difference. If not. Precise 2, shortening (as much as needed) to start callous formation and the re lengthening to match left leg.  P2 got only 8 cm so i dont understand why you keep lenghtening. There is no callous formation on the right leg so trying match it with the left leg makes absolutely no sense.

Edit
I need to be harsh with you. You f*ckin need leg shortening in order to take some pressure off you soft tissue. Ive seen the way you walk and if you can recover from that in few year(yes years!) then I think it would be close to miracle. Its not only your bone but muscle tendons etc and right now it looks bad. If you shorten right leg by even 2 cm that will help a lot and will definitely speed up recovery.
I know it sounds negative and discouraging but I really think you can still walk normal. Height is no longer you priority.

She's not lengthening anymore. At least that's what I got from it. She said because she lengthened slower, the recovery was better.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #734 on: October 02, 2017, 06:37:07 PM »

She's not lengthening anymore. At least that's what I got from it. She said because she lengthened slower, the recovery was better.

I stopped lengthening left leg some time ago so it doesn't match my right leg of 10cm.   There's no point lengthening to match a 10cm that cannot fuse.

I'm now waiting to see what NHS will do for my right leg.  I think they want to graft it with hip bone but I prefer to change nails to Precice 2, shorten, wait for union and then re-start lengthening to match the healed left leg.

So both of you are right.  I'm not lengthening left leg anymore.  And something has to be done to the right leg  :'(

I had only mentioned the slow lengthening rate because I was lengthening on my own for my left leg and I had waited one week after surgery without lengthening for the left leg to settle and then lengthened very slowly.  And that shows that with very slow lengthening (unlike the lightning speed of 1mm per day for my right leg) works very well because the fusion has been good.  I'm just comparing the results of lengthening fast and slow.

Sorry it wasn't clear :)   So to summarize the differences, I created a chart below :

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:14:27 PM by Unicorn888 »

The Dreamer

« Reply #735 on: October 02, 2017, 06:58:45 PM »

I stopped lengthening left leg some time ago so it doesn't match my right leg of 10cm.   There's no point lengthening to match a 10cm that cannot fuse.

I'm now waiting to see what NHS will do for my right leg.  I think they want to graft it with hip bone but I prefer to change nails to Precice 2, shorten, wait for union and then re-start lengthening to match the healed left leg.
I think that involving the Precice system seems to be the best and safest option.
You mentioned that you have lengthened your left leg slowly than 1mm per day.Do you remeber the exact ammount ? Like 0.66 mm or something similar ?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #736 on: October 02, 2017, 07:39:35 PM »

I think that involving the Precice system seems to be the best and safest option.
You mentioned that you have lengthened your left leg slowly than 1mm per day.Do you remeber the exact ammount ? Like 0.66 mm or something similar ?

I was too scared that my left leg would end up non-union like my right leg.  So I think Guichet lengthened about 1cm during surgery, and then I waited one week without lengthening.  When he found out, he got furious so he made me lengthen 165 clicks in 24 hours.  That was more than 1cm in one day and my skin was about to burst, hence the erythema.

After that, I slowed down to 3-5 clicks a day which is only 0.2-0.3mm per day.  And the healing looks good and very different from the non-union of the right leg.  The right side was lengthened at 1.5cm during surgery and afterwards, 1.5mm per day (first 2 weeks), 1mm per day (most days) and finally 0.6mm per day (last 2 weeks).  And it was very fast.  We were recommended to take up to 1,200mg of aspirin per day during my right leg even after lengthening ended.  So I stopped taking aspirin for my left leg since it's known to slow fusion.

Again, this is only for old ladies like myself who don't fuse.  Younger dudes usually pre-consolidate, so they have the opposite reaction and need to lengthen even faster to slow down fusion and take Naproxen/Xarelto (I forget which one).

One thing we noticed for men and women is...  people with lower blood pressure seem to fuse slower.  Amongst my non-union group, we noticed that many of us suffer from low blood pressure.  Not a theorem, just an observation.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #737 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »

Is doing 30 minutes at day of yoga youtube videos good enough to reach ideal flexibility in the long term?

Hi Annalisa,

Any yoga is better than nothing esp the ones focused on stretching out your quads, hamstrings, hips, IT band muscle groups.  That will really help your lengthening recovery afterwards and perhaps allow you to reach the height you want.

Tight muscles/low flexibility means you'll be hunched over like me because my muscles/soft tissues are not stretched/long enough to compensate for my taller body.

Bleda

• Visitor
« Reply #738 on: October 02, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »

Is it just me or does it look like a little tendril of callus reaching down from the top on your right leg?

The Dreamer

« Reply #739 on: October 02, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »

Very clear,thanks Unicorn.Interesting also your intuition on the effect of bloody pressure.Probably it is because less pressure=less speed of blood flood and as for consequences slower healing.Just my 2 cents
Yes,it is true that for young people the risk of preconsolidation is more worrying about.
At first sight I would say you have a small formation on your bottom of your right leg,but now that i'm paying more attention maybe Bleda is right.However the gap is still noticeable in my opinion
I would ask you if you know what happens exactly(biologically speaking) when you reduce the gap by shortening the nail
Why this is supposed to enhance callus formation ?
I read this statement in a lot of diaries but never understood the concept behind it

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #740 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »

Is it just me or does it look like a little tendril of callus reaching down from the top on your right leg?

Hi Bleda,

Yes, I've stared at it for so many hours, I ended up seeing a dolphin jumping over a rainbow.

I think there could be improvements, so I'll continue to work hard.  The problem with non-union is even a 1cm gap is not healed enough, hence, any doc who sees this will tell me, there's nothing there  :'(

I even measure the length of wispy fingers like stalagmites and stalactites and they're actually growing longer each time.  Practically, a doctor will say it'll never join because it's too far apart as getting 1cm to join is already challenging.  As in, risk of fracturing and nails cannot be removed.

Body Builder

« Reply #741 on: October 02, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »

Why you took aspirins Unicorn???
Do you know that this may be the real reason for your non union?
Aspirin and antiinflammatory drugs prevents bone healing. It was a huge mistake to use aspirin! Did Guichet told you to ?

Annalisa

« Reply #742 on: October 02, 2017, 11:45:51 PM »

My God, Guichet is really a disaster. If you hadn't had his awful nail and were allowed to lengthen slower, I bet your situation now would be completely opposite. I'd say 0.5 is ideal for a women. Do you agree?

I have low blood flow due to sedentary life and my flexibility is abysmal. So, I really need a gigantic amount of exercise to gain the right flexibility. I will focus on yoga for legs flexibility, and I guess this is what I need to reach my goals.

I also think that taking natural supplements to enhance blood flow, during the lengthening phase, could be very helpful, since the pace of the flow is so important for the recovery of the bone.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #743 on: October 02, 2017, 11:51:23 PM »

Why you took aspirins Unicorn???
Do you know that this may be the real reason for your non union?
Aspirin and antiinflammatory drugs prevents bone healing. It was a huge mistake to use aspirin! Did Guichet told you to ?

He prescribes a high dosage of aspirin up to 1,200mg throughout the entire lengthening period, and even after that, during the consolidation/recovery period.  He believes that thinner blood helps healing better.  So we all have to follow.  I already got screamed at in November because I stopped aspirin after I stopped lengthening.

I was always under the impression that aspirin prevents bone healing like NSAIDS and if there's a blood clot situation, heparin/warfarin can be used for a short period.

Again, we don't/didn't know enough to disobey our doctor.  It's only during my second left leg lengthening when I was so desperate that I began experimenting a little since nothing had worked for the right leg, so I literally had nothing left to lose.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:14:01 AM by Unicorn888 »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44   Go Up