Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 251884 times)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #279 on: October 20, 2016, 07:32:02 PM »

Your story is so assuring. Even with complications, everyting can end well if you're in good hands. Don't you do training every day with Guichet's trainers, or you're spending your time mostly at bed reading and watching series, while your leg is healing?

Hi Annalisa,

I train by myself everyday doing Guichet's 2,000 reps of exercises.  And then I cycle 2x30 mins, and at least about 60-120 mins of crutch walking :)

I tried walking without crutches today and I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!   Badly, like frankenstein but wow, I'm addicted to walking right now.

Going back to your question, I do pop in once in a while to see the trainer at the gym to get pointers and also, to correct some of my bad postures etc.  And Guichet sees me once every 2 weeks to remeasure my progress (leg circumference, flexions, extensions etc).

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #280 on: October 20, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »

You have a long and very beautiful leg.

Thanks Petite!  I'm really happy with it.  Proportion wise, it looks very natural and graceful.  I saw 2 more friends who had not seen me since I started this and both thought I had lost weight :)  Another asked if I ever considered modeling, and I'm like....  hahaha!  He could NEVER have imagined that I grew by 7cm since he last saw me  ;)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #281 on: October 20, 2016, 07:39:36 PM »

Hey Unicorn, it's been quite the journey eh.

Putting aside the complications, how does it feel to be 167cm?  :)

In all honesty, I would redo everything again to get to where I am today.  Finally, I see some light at the end of the tunnel since I can walk with and without crutches.  So even if Guichet thinks that my 3rd surgery should be in April 2017, I realise that nothing's gonna stop me from walking without crutches from today until April as long as I have shoes with 7cm lifts.

To be normal and being 5'6" is living the dream.  So, I'm quite determined to be normal again (with or without surgery in November) so that my life continues ASAP ;D

And my decision to get my leg lengthened gets re-affirmed each time I meet friends who haven't seen me.  They can't really put their finger on it, but most exclaim that I lost weight :)  It really does cheer me up and helps me overcome those dark moments btw the 2 surgeries and pain.

Antonio

« Reply #282 on: October 21, 2016, 10:40:33 AM »

Congratulations Unicorn! It's so great to hear good news from a fellow traveller

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #283 on: October 21, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »

Finished my last session of chiro today, I was prescribed 2 sessions per week for 1 month.  And this ain't no fancy swedish massage.  I get hauled on the butcher's slab, pins stuck in my ass, and electrocuted.  Apparently, it's the rage these days.  Supposed to reawaken my glutes.  Turns out, your glute muscles are the fire power to your first step.  And mine's been hibernating since I was born probably.  No wonder I can't twerk... those are 150% glutes, my friend.

Had a session with the Isokinetic centre osteopath and I was quizzing him on how to faster grow my bones.  He says testosterone actually helps...  hence, the chinese were right... peanut root soup and a hairy chest... is the key to quick bones!

All being said, I have learnt how to scramble around like a mechanical spider, many legs and crutches (think Maze Runner - I'm that beast with the horrible clicking sound), and Doc's impressed.  My knee flexion's back to normal and I can do the splits.  So, the only impediment now is... "when can I have my 3rd surgery to lengthen my left leg?"  As much as I shudder thinking about having to undergo one more hospital stay, codeine addiction, pains, clicking for 6 weeks etc, I really want this over with.

For those of you who wonder why it is I do not go see the PT at the gym daily... camaraderie and all's great, but it's the transportation stress.  Having to deal with taxis, traffic, mad uber drivers, faulty seats, to end up doing the same set of exercises... no thank you.  So the Doc today explained that he usually makes people attend 2x daily PT sessions (gym+Isokinetic) because there are people who will not be motivated enough to complete his 200x rep exercises.  Hence, they need to be monitored and fined (there's no greater motivation than a financial penalty).  So, now that I can be trusted with my Miss Gladiator thunder thighs, Doc's letting me get off easy.

I'm going to spend this weekend walking around without crutches.  That way, I can seize back my normal life.  Thank goodness Halloween is around the corner, I won't be scaring anyone with my zombie gait, grisly scars, pasty complexion and shabby clothes.  Wow, I fit right in!

Annalisa

« Reply #284 on: October 22, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »

April 2017? Why so much time? Your leg hasn't healed yet? So, you are disciplined enough to train alone. I don't think I would being able to do it. For people who need trainer support, they need to go to the gym, twice at day, morning and afternoon, right? They practically spend all day with trainers?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #285 on: October 22, 2016, 01:22:52 PM »

April 2017? Why so much time? Your leg hasn't healed yet? So, you are disciplined enough to train alone. I don't think I would being able to do it. For people who need trainer support, they need to go to the gym, twice at day, morning and afternoon, right? They practically spend all day with trainers?

Yep, my bones need to fuse first before he can break my femur in another place for lengthening.  And so far, my xrays don't show full bone consolidation, and it does take time.

As for the training, yes, morning session, afternoon session elsewhere, and then there's always some test to take; xrays, bone density scan, blood tests or doc appointment.  So you do spend most of the days out or 'in school' as I call it. 

It's stressful because you're so immobile and in pain, that little things like the taxi not being able to park close by (having to walk an extra 50m is a big difference), or rain, or extra staircase or even broken elevators - can ruin your day!  And I don't mean bad humour, I mean, a whole lot of discomfort and pain or worse, risk of falling.

Lgazer

« Reply #286 on: October 22, 2016, 02:06:23 PM »

Unicorn you say it's worth it because you are in a good situation in life and Guichet is going to solve your problem soon but I would like to ask you a question. 
What would you say if you had lost your job because of this or your husband had left you or you lost all your savings and had to get a loan? Would you say it's worth it? I have some cases in mind. Emmanuel lost 4 years of his life as a cripple. He had to visit multiple doctors in Europe and spent all his savings. Musicmaker lost her job and she has been 2 years wheelchairbounded. She will probably have permanent sequels after many failed surgeries and even if her legs are longer now she has ugly scars (not worth it for a girl if you are average height like she was). Crimsontide's girlfriend cheated on him and made fun of him as a cripple and he is thinking about amputation nowadays because he can't stand his lack of function. This is depressing. Why are some people so mean? A guy from old board went to Russia. He was an engineer and lost everything after complications in his surgery. All these people have had lots of surgeries and they think LL is the worst decision they have taken in their life. I was discussing all these cases yesterday with some people in the forum and I would like to know your opinion.
I would like to have LL but I have a girlfriend, and a good job and good savings and I'm afraid of getting not fixable complications and loosing everything in life.

TIBIKE200

« Reply #287 on: October 22, 2016, 02:15:42 PM »

Unicorn you say it's worth it because you are in a good situation in life and Guichet is going to solve your problem soon but I would like to ask you a question. 
What would you say if you had lost your job because of this or your husband had left you or you lost all your savings and had to get a loan? Would you say it's worth it? I have some cases in mind. Emmanuel lost 4 years of his life as a cripple. He had to visit multiple doctors in Europe and spent all his savings. Musicmaker lost her job and she has been 2 years wheelchairbounded. She will probably have permanent sequels after many failed surgeries and even if her legs are longer now she has ugly scars (not worth it for a girl if you are average height like she was). Crimsontide's girlfriend cheated on him and made fun of him as a cripple and he is thinking about amputation nowadays because he can't stand his lack of function. This is depressing. Why are some people so mean? A guy from old board went to Russia. He was an engineer and lost everything after complications in his surgery. All these people have had lots of surgeries and they think LL is the worst decision they have taken in their life. I was discussing all these cases yesterday with some people in the forum and I would like to know your opinion.
I would like to have LL but I have a girlfriend, and a good job and good savings and I'm afraid of getting not fixable complications and loosing everything in life.

So dont go to a crapty doctor... I dont get what is so complicated... All cases you presented were of people going to crapty doctors...
   Also, the first part of your question is completely stupid... "what if all went wrong"... right now frankly, she is not exactly in a good situation because she needs to wait for the leg to heal... Well, be prepared for the worst case scenario (financialy speaking) and let your GF or wife know what you are doing. And again, dont choose a crapty doc.... Very simple no?

btw, its pretty obvious your are LLuser... The exact same writing style, mentioning MM ugly scars and everything and also bumping up old threads.
I learned some stuff during this time

The Kaiser

« Reply #288 on: October 22, 2016, 05:09:06 PM »

your health is priceless so go to a good doctor god dammit. as Tibiae said all these cases from an inexperience doctors.

so what if you wake up during surgery? how's your feeling, this is possible too

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #289 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »

I think I laid it out pretty clearly in my first post...  I'm in a good situation right now, to realize this dream.  It means I didn't stumble onto the surgery by accident or thought that my life had no meaning if I stayed short.

The point is, I would not have done it if I couldn't stay within the comforts of my own home and encircled by my support system (ie. friends).  And I would not have done it if it were not a reputable doctor, so I had only 2 I would have gone to, Paley or Guichet.

When I found out that Guichet began offering this surgery in London, I got interested.  Of course, I would not have done it if I had a job and a boss breathing down my neck and I think this is everyone's predicament.  I also would not have done it if I were in a relationship, married or had dependents whose lives would be affected should I never recover.  Check.

So finally, it comes down to pricing and health.  In that department too, this surgery is not going to break my bank and I would not have done it if I had to take a loan and be stressed out about mounting expenses and paying back.  And I am extremely flexible being a gymnast before, so I got a clean bill of health from the doctor.

This is how I made the weighted decision to undergo this surgery and I do think about the worst case scenario.  However, as it is right now, I can already walk without crutches with a 7cm shoe lift.  So when I'm healthy enough to have surgery, I will cross that bridge and worry about it then.

In the meantime, I wake up every day not believing that I'm 5'6", my childhood dream.  I look better in clothes, and yesterday, meeting another friend I had not seen since summer, he said I was looking hot because I slimmed down.  Again, no freaking clue what I've been through :) :) :)  It does make me smile though because nobody imagines that I grew up over the last 3 months.

So, this is my thought process...  if all those items above do not line up,  I wouldn't have taken so much risk.  And I beg anyone who's planning to undergo this procedure to prepare for the worst case scenario.  I've seen relationships ruined, I've seen people losing their savings, lose their jobs because their bosses couldn't wait any longer, I've seen people who had difficulties adapting to temporary life in London, Milan or Marseilles, or have long lasting health complications and side effects.  The point is... you need to go in PREPARED.  And statistically speaking, Guichet operates on way more patients than those who post here, and like the 2 who just graduated from surgery to walking without crutches in 6 weeks... you won't hear a peep from them :)

Lastly, all of the people I've met who has done it with Guichet from June until today... 90% are level headed professionals (doctors, bankers, lawyers) who have done the necessary soul searching to undergo such a massive risk... and safe to say, none have gone on a limb to lengthen their limbs.

Annalisa

« Reply #290 on: October 23, 2016, 12:48:56 PM »

Unicorn is absolutely right, preparation is everything. This is a risky operation. So, we must to take our time to understand the procress and research for the safer option. The people who have had the life ruined, probably they have done tibia, which is riskier than femur and it takes more time to recover; and they have chose doctors who are less pricey than Guichet. Guichet costs a lot of money and requires time to prepare physically. When it comes to lengthening, we must no to think about spending less, our health is more important than any money. We must to dedidate ourselves to save enough money to get the operation, and being prepare to the months necessary to lengthen, which could become much more than exptected if something bad happen. It's not something that everybody can do, but if you one is financially prapared and is strong enough to deal with all the difficulties, the fatigue and the the pain, it is worth the risk; cause it means realize a dream that will make us love ourselves more, which is a fundamental thing to live well.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #291 on: October 23, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »

The people who have had the life ruined, probably they have done tibia, which is riskier than femur and it takes more time to recover;

I have no medical background, but I doubt that tibia lengthening, of its own accord, is riskier than femur; quite the contrary I think.
No doubt there are more horror stories coming from tibia patients on these forums, but I rather think this is due to their having chosen the least expensive route, which more often than not entails an outdated ilizarov in countries with (generally speaking) less than ideal standards of medical care

Auron

« Reply #292 on: October 23, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »

Yo, are you LLuser1?  ::)

Bander72

« Reply #293 on: October 23, 2016, 02:22:33 PM »

Dam man you have been through alot hopefully there is a happy ending for you.

Bander72: Banned for Impersonating A Dr (fake Dr.Monegal)  account

sashawiak

« Reply #294 on: October 23, 2016, 02:28:44 PM »

So you really made it to 5'6? That's awesome! Congratulations. You surpassed your own goal coming into this. You're one of the few female patients getting this done from what I've seen so far, I'm glad things are getting better for you.

Annalisa

« Reply #295 on: October 23, 2016, 02:36:54 PM »

Tibia is riskier than femur cause the tibia has little muscular mass. There is a reason why Guichet requires you to grow your muscular mass, and it is because more mass, it  lowers the pain and the complications , as it is like a protection surrounding the bones. Years ago I thought I would have done the tibias, I feel lucky that I didn't stop searching and ended up discovering Guichet operation; even if it much more costly than the tibia operation I thought do, it is also much safer, quicker and leaves far less marks. A complete different world.

Lgazer

« Reply #296 on: October 23, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

Yo, are you LLuser1?  ::)

No I'm not Lluser. Tibike stop that paranoia

Auron

« Reply #297 on: October 23, 2016, 02:58:19 PM »

No I'm not Lluser. Tibike stop that paranoia
I was being ironic. It's pretty obvious you're LLuser. Btw, its a bit too late to deny it because your past posts are a copy paste of LLuser's.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2016, 03:47:22 PM »

I have no medical background, but I doubt that tibia lengthening, of its own accord, is riskier than femur; quite the contrary I think.
No doubt there are more horror stories coming from tibia patients on these forums, but I rather think this is due to their having chosen the least expensive route, which more often than not entails an outdated ilizarov in countries with (generally speaking) less than ideal standards of medical care

I'm no expert either.  I asked Guichet whether he'd do tibs when I first had my consultation and he said it was riskier because it involved 2 bones being broken, and the healing is much slower.  Also, most docs only offer external nails, meaning you run the risk of open wound infections and they constantly need careful attention.

He said it's not worth it when you can do your femurs with one cut internally.  That's his 2 cents :)

Today I'm being a toddler...  I've been walking up and down my house with no crutches, am very excited as I slowly get my hip rotation, glutes kick off, knee bend and foot placement back.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still fit right in a Thriller video, but with no crutches, I'm in heaven!

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #299 on: October 23, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »

Tibia is riskier than femur cause the tibia has little muscular mass. There is a reason why Guichet requires you to grow your muscular mass, and it is because more mass, it  lowers the pain and the complications , as it is like a protection surrounding the bones. Years ago I thought I would have done the tibias, I feel lucky that I didn't stop searching and ended up discovering Guichet operation; even if it much more costly than the tibia operation I thought do, it is also much safer, quicker and leaves far less marks. A complete different world.

Muscle mass is a benefit for internals, not externals. In fact, with externals, the less muscle the better (to an extent).
Nearly every journal I've read from those who have undergone the internal method describe intense pain. I went the external route (albeit the HEF) and never really experienced any sort of actual pain.
In addition to this, with externals, misalignments can be fixed in a matter of minutes.

I'll cede that internals provide a quicker recovery and less scarring, but they're not safer or more efficient by default.

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2016, 04:11:38 PM »

I'm no expert either.  I asked Guichet whether he'd do tibs when I first had my consultation and he said it was riskier because it involved 2 bones being broken, and the healing is much slower.  Also, most docs only offer external nails, meaning you run the risk of open wound infections and they constantly need careful attention.

He said it's not worth it when you can do your femurs with one cut internally.  That's his 2 cents :)

I suppose it comes down to which method best suits your circumstance. If not for the HEF device, I would have chosen internals as well.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2016, 06:14:09 PM »

Muscle mass is a benefit for internals, not externals. In fact, with externals, the less muscle the better (to an extent).
Nearly every journal I've read from those who have undergone the internal method describe intense pain. I went the external route (albeit the HEF) and never really experienced any sort of actual pain.
In addition to this, with externals, misalignments can be fixed in a matter of minutes.

I'll cede that internals provide a quicker recovery and less scarring, but they're not safer or more efficient by default.

You may be right about the pain.  Though I've to say Guichet's pain management is none... :). He seriously prescribes 2 weeks of codeine and after that, we only get paracetamol.  So you can imagine post op at the hospital, we get tramadol or codeine every 4 hours but definitely none of the 3-day epidurals that some docs give. 

We know the rap by now, he says to everyone, "are you trying to commit suicide by... (insert your lame drug of choice that he no longer approves of).... codeine, sleep aids, paracetamol even calcium!!!" 

Whereintheworld?

« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »

You may be right about the pain.  Though I've to say Guichet's pain management is none... :). He seriously prescribes 2 weeks of codeine and after that, we only get paracetamol.  So you can imagine post op at the hospital, we get tramadol or codeine every 4 hours but definitely none of the 3-day epidurals that some docs give. 

We know the rap by now, he says to everyone, "are you trying to commit suicide by... (insert your lame drug of choice that he no longer approves of).... codeine, sleep aids, paracetamol even calcium!!!"

Stock up now, what mamma don't know won't hurt her

sashawiak

« Reply #303 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:33 PM »

Wow, so I just read your entire diary from start to finish and DAMN, you went through a lot!!! A hell of a lot more than I've seen most patient diaries here. Maybe you're just more honest. But an almost 4 inch gain, that's incredible! Im currently 5'2 and 5'6 would be a dream for me, but I don't have the money for internal so I'm probably gonna end up close to 5'4ish. I'm really happy for you though, I'm sure all the pain feels like it was worth it now. You're tough, I don't know if I could go through everything you did, but Guichet is an amazing surgeon, great choice.

Moubgf

« Reply #304 on: October 27, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »

Dont scare me, i need my Tramadol etc. Not going without it. Geting it of the black markeY if the hassle is to big. also do you know what you must bring with you on your consultation with Guichet? Is it blood test, X-ray (i've heard this is hard to get approval of).
And possibly Allergic tests.

Anyway if anyone know the essentials. Please write them down so i now what to get before setting the meeting up with him.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #305 on: October 28, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »

Dont scare me, i need my Tramadol etc. Not going without it. Geting it of the black markeY if the hassle is to big. also do you know what you must bring with you on your consultation with Guichet? Is it blood test, X-ray (i've heard this is hard to get approval of).
And possibly Allergic tests.

Anyway if anyone know the essentials. Please write them down so i now what to get before setting the meeting up with him.

If it's your first appointment with Guichet, you just need to fill out, print out and bring it to your appointment:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3k4SvffTIpnLXpKUXdRcWMwaEE/view?usp=sharing

He's going to ask you to strip and measure you and take photos.  He wants to see how flexible you are as it will determine how far you can lengthen.

The rest, you don't have to spend money on tests yet until you hear what your chances are first :)

Let me know if you have further questions, ok?

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #306 on: October 28, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »

If it's your first appointment with Guichet, you just need to fill out, print out and bring it to your appointment:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3k4SvffTIpnLXpKUXdRcWMwaEE/view?usp=sharing

He's going to ask you to strip and measure you and take photos.  He wants to see how flexible you are as it will determine how far you can lengthen.

The rest, you don't have to spend money on tests yet until you hear what your chances are first :)

Let me know if you have further questions, ok?

Do you know why Guichet asks about Endocrinologist?

Annalisa

« Reply #307 on: October 28, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »

Hi, unicorn, sorry bothering you again :D Why do you mean by chances? How much you can lengthen based on your flexibility?Let's suppose one is not flexible enough to lengthen much, they train  for months and their flexibility improve and then they're able to lengthen more, right? Isn't it the point whole point of training, improving muscle mass and flexibility?

The Kaiser

« Reply #308 on: October 28, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »

Hi, unicorn, sorry bothering you again :D Why do you mean by chances? How much you can lengthen based on your flexibility?Let's suppose one is not flexible enough to lengthen much, they train  for months and their flexibility improve and then they're able to lengthen more, right? Isn't it the point whole point of training, improving muscle mass and flexibility?

Dr Guichet believe that flexibility is more important thang age, so just be flexible and have a good muscles in your legs then, he will not ask you to train with his team pre-op

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2016, 12:19:54 AM »

Actually, it turns out flexibility is one of those rare things that make lengthening less painful.  It's not because you can bend in all kinds of angles, but because your collagen is more 'elastic'.  So as you stretch taller, you suffer less soft tissue pains. I didn't have stretching pains until past 7cm, then it started to get tight (even my skin felt like a balloon about to explode). 

Of my 7 classmates, 5 stopped earlier than their goal because they could not withstand the stretching pains.  I was told it's like when you go through puberty and grow tall over a very short period of time.  Literally, your soft tissue and bone hurt from being pulled apart.

Also, from a dynamic point of view, I was able to recover my knee/hip flexion and extensions better, so it meant less discomfort and pain as I can start walking normally, bend my knees in cars, kneel, etc.  For some of the guys, it can take over a year to slowly regain flexibility.  So pain can come from IT band, hamstrings and other muscles, that are 'shorter' than your new height, so it hurts when you stretch out your leg and take a proper step (not merely just hopping on a walking frame or crutch).  So, because of these 'shorter' muscles, less flexible people usually suffer from lordosis or duck ass right after lengthening and it takes specific stretching exercises like the superman pose to stretch out your muscles so that it doesn't make your ass jut out.

But here's the catch, flexibility cannot be trained overnight, not in one or three months even.  It's usually years of yoga practice or you're born with hypermobility like I was.  That's why Guichet's pre-op training has a big stretching component to it which focuses mainly on your quads and hamstrings.  It's just as important if not more than strength training.

Once Guichet measures your flexibility, he can roughly give you an idea of how far you can lengthen before you hit pain.  He's not going to stop you from your desired height, but he's realistic.  I wanted 7-8cm, and he suggested 10cm because I'm a circus freak.  Most guys got about 5cm and Guichet's very good at pushing for more if he thinks your body can handle it.  He has good spidey senses when it comes to that.

But the biggest traumatic components about lengthening with Guichet is the post op period (surgery recovery - mental and physical shock of being crippled overnight - it's pretty invasive), hitting stretching pains about post 4cm and flexibility recovery (because when you walk normally, a lot of elements are actually coordinated and these get reset to zero after lengthening - non existent glutes, short IT bands, tight hamstrings and quads, weak abs - all the power force behind a walk, that we so take for granted :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 44   Go Up