Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 251919 times)

LLuser1

• Banned
Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2016, 07:44:15 PM »

Guichet did a perfect job. Perhaps you had the same initial problem than Musicmaker (eggshell iatrogenic fracture caused a larger fracture) but Guichet is an expert surgeon and he could fix it. MM's case was a disaster. She needed at least five surgeries just to fix that leg. In cases like yours you can see who the good surgeon is.
You took the best of decisions. Congratulations

Perhaps Ghichet is a moneymaker as other LL surgeons but he has better bedside manners than others. I'm sure he didn't call you his bitch or motherfker like the Spanish surgeon with his male and female patients alike, Cooper, Musicmaker and the teenage patient. That kind of 'humor' (as they call it now) is unacceptable in this profession.
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »

Guichet did a perfect job. Perhaps you had the same initial problem than Musicmaker (eggshell iatrogenic fracture caused a larger fracture) but Guichet is an expert surgeon and he could fix it. MM's case was a disaster. She needed at least five surgeries just to fix that leg. In cases like yours you can see who the good surgeon is.
You took the best of decisions. Congratulations

Perhaps Ghichet is a moneymaker as other LL surgeons but he has better bedside manners than others. I'm sure he didn't call you his bitch or motherfker like the Spanish surgeon with his male and female patients alike, Cooper, Musicmaker and the teenage patient. That kind of 'humor' (as they call it now) is unacceptable in this profession.

No, Guichet really cares about his patients.  He's more like a nagging strict DAD figure.  He gets ANGRY when you're disobedient (in his French translation, "non-compliant") and nothing is ever good enough for him.  As I said, it's all TOUGH LOVE.  But it's love and passion for his job nevertheless. This week alone, I saw 2 very young and very BRAVE kids who were born with leg defects waiting with us to see him.  Made us all really shameful, talking so vainly about not being tall enough...and wingeing all the time :'(

He insists on seeing you himself for at least once every fortnight and each check-up includes YANKING and a good SCOLDING (and lasts FOREVER - it's not one of those 5 min courtesy face time).  We know because we all compare notes.  If you're crutching really well, he'll be asking disapprovingly, "Why are you still using crutches, walk walk!  Or you're gonna be paralysed forever!" >:( 

Or during the first 2 weeks of surgery, I ran out of codeine and begged him for more, and he's like, "You're committing suicide with codeine, what a waste of your long legs!" >:(  So one of our classmate's mum became our designated drug mule, she procures them in France and we share the loot :P like desperate drug junkies.

He replies to everything himself and many times with a very dry sense of humour which can be easily lost in translation. 

When the guy, Kenny Baker, who was R2D2 sadly died recently, I sent Guichet a text saying a new role just opened up for me in Star Wars and he replied, "Not really... unless the new R2D2 has one long and one short leg...!"  >:( >:( >:(

He has his faults too.  He's disorganised and is always running late.  He never gets your test results on time (so we help ourselves by asking for result duplicates at each clinic).  That way, we'll have results with us when sitting in front of him during our consultations (he will be indignant but we don't care!). 

My friend almost fainted when he used my iPhone photo to view my fractured bone because (again!) he had tech issues and didn't have the image on his PC.  This was the night before my corrective surgery.  So my friend asked him, "Would you like to borrow this phone during surgery tomorrow?" :o

He declared yesterday, he's going to take us all out for dinner.  My classmates and I are plotting a strip club surprise.  We can already envision him using his medical joint angle ruler to measure stripper hip and knee extensions and flexions.  He's going to lecture the lap dancer about her risk of getting lordosis, and the pole dancer, scoliosis.  He might even recommend the latest clinical-grade knee pads!!  ::)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:04:56 PM by Unicorn888 »

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #219 on: September 22, 2016, 09:04:50 PM »

He's a genius surgeon, but boy, bad bedside manners!  He told me at first to exercise more and increase my clicks!  It was 6 days before discovering it was a fracture and not fast bone consolidation! 

I told him I was in deep pain and that I needed a morphine patch.  He's like, "No! 10 more clicks for you per day!" 

And I did finish all the clicks + 10, but they took like 6 hours and the sound was not a CLACK anymore, it was like breaking a KitKat in two :'( :'( :'(   To this day, I don't know how I survived those 6 days!

This is Guichet in a nutshell.

Six days with that fracture sounds awful. Do you think having been through that that the rest of your lengthening days should feel easier as compared to lengthening before the fracture occurred?
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #220 on: September 22, 2016, 09:16:00 PM »

Six days with that fracture sounds awful. Do you think having been through that that the rest of your lengthening days should feel easier as compared to lengthening before the fracture occurred?

Yeah, it just felt like at the wrong angle, I got stabbed over and over again with a blunt pencil.

It was 6 days to discover that it was a fracture but remember, it was 2 weeks before the surgery to fix.  So, that's why I was whining nonstop about being a bag of bones.  I could not move too much otherwise, pencil stabbing commences.

For now, clicking, concrete legs, little pains here and there, are no biggies (touch wood).  My head is still traumatised that any tiny wrong move and I'll fracture my leg again.

After Guichet, I got a van taxi last night and there was no swivel chair for me to hop on.  So I actually had to WALK with no aid like a robot to the high seat (as the frame could not fit btw curb and van) and I can tell you, it scared the crap out of me.  I hope nothing happened as I kept both legs straight and they are fully weight bearing but the PTSD is definitely still haunting me :(

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #221 on: September 22, 2016, 10:35:33 PM »

I hope nothing happened as I kept both legs straight and they are fully weight bearing but the PTSD is definitely still haunting me :(

Being scared is normal just don't let it control you.

And hey, if i ever meet you i will buy you an ice cream.

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #222 on: September 22, 2016, 10:49:31 PM »

Don't be afraid! You're in good hands
I will buy icecream for you too!  8)
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #223 on: September 23, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »

Being scared is normal just don't let it control you.

And hey, if i ever meet you i will buy you an ice cream.

Don't be afraid! You're in good hands
I will buy icecream for you too!  8)

Dear guys,

That's so sweet, Movenpick espresso croquant please :)   And pls don't forget kitty litter and a clean spade :)  xoxo

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »

J+64 TERMINUS

Height Gained : 7.1cm / 166cm

Ok, done!  Today's the last day of clicking and I got to my 166cm goal :)   Am really happy, pain has subsided, clicking was easy, little stretching pain.  It's been kind except for the stiffness and soreness.  I was able to sleep well throughout this entire process too.

I'm in full consolidation mode, lots of bone growth supplements, bone marrow broth etc etc etc.  Walking a lot as well (still with frame/crutches) due to my other fractured leg.  No more legs on fire when crutching everywhere and my arms are strong.  It now takes little effort when 2 months ago, I would melt over the zimmer frame when I had to crawl more than 10 metres.

I'm not out of danger yet, there's always occupational hazard.  Just the other day, we booked a taxi and a taxi van showed up.  As I was slowly hopping up the side seat and swinging my legs into the van, the automatic door started to slide shut.  It crushed my left (recently repaired) leg to my chest.  I was screaming murder (as one does, if under a bus), but thank goodness, I'm flexible enough that nothing happened.  I had an xray taken immediately after, all good.  Bone formation and callouses can be seen, fractures healing.

Am working out a lot (by walking) and detoxing my body with dandelion root tea (cleanses liver) and rubbing castor oil on my liver at night and putting a heat pad on it (I'm probably mistaking my boob for liver... as I found 2).  Also, learnt how to do lymphatic drainage on my legs and diligently rub and massage legs with argan oil all day long (as the chiro says, "just massage everything back to the groin...now what ever does she mean by this?!").  Can I just start straight at the groin?

First surgery scars are all healed now.  It is ONE LINE, and currently discolouring turning darker (knowing my skin) which will fade in 2-3 months.  Then will see if I need laser scar removal (if I'm not removing G-nail). Uh oh, I've seen that movie before, it's called REPO MEN... it'll be Guichet after me as his nails are merely 'on loan' (read the fine print fellas).  If I don't yield, would he break both my legs (for free?).

Have 60 more days to learn how to walk without crutches so that I may spend xmas with my parents looking 'normal'.  Went out for the first time yesterday socially, and immediately both guy friends remarked that I could be a model being so tall on flat shoes... uh oh!  Back to rock climbing 'Vertical Limit' horror story (sans dad falling to his death), but now have to elaborate with straightening of bent femurs, etc. and gaining height whereas other leg got re-broken, and will need bone grafting in Jan'17 (I'm digging myself into a massive crater, aren't I?) :-X And I forget on what planet this crater is in.

Guichet sends me to a chiropractor who (without warning) jumps on me, full body WWF side-ways style, and scares me crapless.  But somehow, she manages to fix my tilted pelvis.  She says my duck ass is practically gone thanks to flexibility.  Otherwise, this yoga superhero pose is good for fixing duck ass!

This Was My 17cm Leg Disparity due to Pelvis Tilt

Clicking until 7cm, I didn't have clicking pains nor was it violent, but my leg felt like a very very taut balloon about to burst.  How do people continue further?  I salute them!  I was going at 10 clicks/day (0.66mm) vs 1mm per day.  I noticed Guichet slows it down even more for people who suffer from stretching pains.  So I think I was able to keep a quick pace.

I'm still sorry that I still need another surgery for my left leg once bones are consolidated, but it is what it is.  Hopefully, this time around, it would be easier due to one fully healed leg.  And I kind of summarise that the lengthening process (at least for me) wasn't all too painful from my legs, it was more all the side effects of surgery, the fatigue, the physio, lots of pee-poo trauma, the stress from daily transportation, the stiffness, the lack of sleep for some, the overdosing of meds.  I'm off painkillers and sleeping pills, so the side effects are slowly vanishing.

Actual Meds Each AM

Will keep you updated, and if you've any questions, please don't hesitate.  I'm continuing PT for another 2 months while one leg learns how to walk crutch free and the other heals completely to be re-broken again :-\
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:28:39 PM by Unicorn888 »

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #225 on: September 27, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »

As a fellow 5'5 i welcome you in the 166cm club.

Good luck with your next surgery, hope it will be less problematic than LL.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #226 on: September 27, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

As a fellow 5'5 i welcome you in the 166cm club.

Good luck with your next surgery, hope it will be less problematic than LL.

Thanks, I'm only a half member now ;)

Hope femur breaking surgery will be as lightning quick - like Darth Vader wielding his lightsaber...  then I can beep beep click click away on LEFT leg.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 05:19:36 PM by Unicorn888 »

Annalisa

« Reply #227 on: September 27, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »

I'm glad  to read you're better. Can you explain why do you need to re-broken the leg? Due to language barriers I didn't fully understand the problems you have had. Also, have you had stretch marks problem? You know, that's a big complex for us women. Even if the operation doesn't leave many marks, the natural stretching can ruin the skin anyway.

Mtall

« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2016, 04:28:12 PM »

Hey Unicorn! In your posts above, you said that Doc G said that if you want to click all the way to 10 cm, you must get a new nail, because its already clicked to 3 cms, and there's only 7 cms left.
What if the same complication had happened when you were at 5 cms? You would have then HAD to get a new nail.
Would he have charged for the new nail?
Also, if anybody knows, can the same thing happen when you use the Precice 2? Would they make you pay for a new nail? And if yes, would that be full or half price considering that there's only one leg?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #229 on: September 27, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »

I'm glad  to read you're better. Can you explain why do you need to re-broken the leg? Due to language barriers I didn't fully understand the problems you have had. Also, have you had stretch marks problem? You know, that's a big complex for us women. Even if the operation doesn't leave many marks, the natural stretching can ruin the skin anyway.

Hi Annalisa,

After week 3, I fractured my left leg.  So my lengthening had to stop on my left leg, and had a new surgery on Sep 1st, to re-position the G-nail back on my curved femur. 

Fracture Image & Corrective Surgery

The 3cm I gained at the time punctured to 0cm.  So, I have to wait for my left leg to fully heal (the initial eggshell fracture, the new nail fracture and my 3cm puncture).  Once everything is consolidated (2-6 months depending on my bone fusion rate), Guichet will simply break my femur again so that I can click the existing G-nail in my left leg to 7cm.

As for stretch marks, I suffer from hypermobility disease (some form of Ehlers), so my collagen is different.  My skin is very elastic and I don't have stretch marks or wrinkles.  It's weird I know, but there are a lot of other issues like being double jointed, thyroid issues, etc.

I hope I was able to answer your question clearly.  I think it is EVERY LL patient's nightmare to fracture their leg while lengthening, because it means everything stops.  Mine did not happen with a fall or accident, in fact, I was simply moving about in bed when I felt a sharp stabbing.  So, I'm sure the initial surgery which caused the eggshell fracture made the bone extremely fragile and sensitive.  Otherwise, these nails are fully weight bearing and one shouldn't fracture that easily.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #230 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »

Hey Unicorn! In your posts above, you said that Doc G said that if you want to click all the way to 10 cm, you must get a new nail, because its already clicked to 3 cms, and there's only 7 cms left.
What if the same complication had happened when you were at 5 cms? You would have then HAD to get a new nail.
Would he have charged for the new nail?
Also, if anybody knows, can the same thing happen when you use the Precice 2? Would they make you pay for a new nail? And if yes, would that be full or half price considering that there's only one leg?

Hi Mtall,

In the case of 5cm left, the doc would offer 5cm.  If you wanted a new nail, I doubt he makes you pay the entire sum again.  He always reassesses the costs depending on materials, hospital charges etc.

I could have insisted on reinserting a new nail so that I can reach 8cm, but the surgery is a major one and it does take a whole 3 weeks before you really feel the swelling really begin to heal.  At one point, if I look at the mirror of my ass and thighs from the back, I can see 'liquid retention' markings which goes to show how invasive the surgery is to your entire leg.  I wish I took photos as I had never seen these types of markings before besides simple purple bruising.  Guichet insisted that our legs remain at 50 degrees up for the first 3 weeks so that we 'drain' from our surgery site.  Now I understand what he means by 'draining'  :)

Annalisa

« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »

So, you have plenty of time in front of yourself, before completing both legs. It must to be very stressfull, but it's worth it at the end. We must to always remember that a complication can really posticipate things by a lot of time. So, planning for a bigger budget is essential, especially if we don't have the fortune to stay in our home during the lengthening. Renting, training and complication cost can really put the prices over the top. Can you tell me if you're a paying a big monthly amount for training with guichet's trainers or the complication is giving you a discount pass?   I had never heard about your disturbe. Having no wrinkles is like every woman dreams, but if this is because of a disease doesn't sound very appealing. I don't get why you say, you had to get another nail to gain more than 7 cm. Does a nail have a maximum predetermined lengthening level, you can't go beyond of it?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »

So, you have plenty of time in front of yourself, before completing both legs. It must to be very stressfull, but it's worth it at the end. We must to always remember that a complication can really posticipate things by a lot of time. So, planning for a bigger budget is essential, especially if we don't have the fortune to stay in our home during the lengthening. Renting, training and complication cost can really put the prices over the top. Can you tell me if you're a paying a big monthly amount for training with guichet's trainers or the complication is giving you a discount pass?   I had never heard about your disturbe. Having no wrinkles is like every woman dreams, but if this is because of a disease doesn't sound very appealing. I don't get why you say, you had to get another nail to gain more than 7 cm. Does a nail have a maximum predetermined lengthening level, you can't go beyond of it?

1.  Yes, it looks like I'm now doing unilateral lengthening (one leg at a time)

2.  It's not that stressful as pain is less and I have more control with one leg.  It just takes more time.

3.  I just use a 7cm shoe lift to hide the difference and very few people can tell if I use boots or ankle high shoes.

4.  No, PT is free until I finish both legs (at least that's what I know of).  Guichet is good that way.

5.  I will develop wrinkles at some point, not never, but just slower because my skin is just more elastic (sags less)

6.  Yes, different nails come at different maximum lengthenings.  Guichet's nails are 10cm.  If I already clicked to 3cm, I will have only 7cm left. Think of it like an irreversible mechanical pencil.

Annalisa

« Reply #233 on: September 27, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, you're doing one leg at time, which means double the time. You should be done in 2 months or 3. I remembered it wrong. The additional cost of the training is only for the pre-training. The post-op is included into the price. This makes things far easier. Keep up the good work. You're doing a great.

onemorefoot

« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »

Unicorn, do your think most people could do 3 inches and look well?My personal opinion is yes, but I am not a patient yet
Budget will determine my future.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2016, 08:44:13 AM »

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, you're doing one leg at time, which means double the time. You should be done in 2 months or 3. I remembered it wrong. The additional cost of the training is only for the pre-training. The post-op is included into the price. This makes things far easier. Keep up the good work. You're doing a great.

Hi Annalisa,

Actually, a little more complicated than the straight unilateral lengthening.  Because I fractured my left leg, I have to wait for the fractures to heal.  It will take 2-3 more months before I can even start lengthening :)

Annalisa

« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »

Wow, one fracture can delay things really badly. By when you finish, it will be close to one year from when you started. It takes the willpower of a person who craves gaining height with all her heart to endure all of this. That's my you get mentally examined, before being considered suited for the operation. I know that I'm willing to tackle anything, but your diary put me in the right mindset. I have read too many stories of people lengthening without complications. When you only read about good stories, you start thinking complications are not probable, which isn't true. It can happen and can make the rehabilitation period a lot longer than  we expected. We must to be prepared to anything going different than expected before we start. One thing is sure, though: this experience, not only make one taller, it also improve a person strengh. You will no be the same afterwards.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »

Unicorn, do your think most people could do 3 inches and look well?My personal opinion is yes, but I am not a patient yet

Hi there,

I started at 158cm+ and I can tell you, the lengthened thigh looks more normal... and sexier.  The original height looks stumpy and even short.  So yes, I think depending on where you start 7.5cm/3" can be normal.

I also measured my tibia and apparently, they're longer than usual, so it fits well.  It doesn't look "short tibs", as they call it.  I'm really digging my legs, they're pretty scrumptious! ;D 

Mtall

« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:21 PM »

Unicorn,
I've always had this doubt about two stage lengthening (whether it is intentionally two stage or because of complications).
God forbid, what if your other leg doesn't heal enough to withstand the pressure of being lengthened?
What if the doctor sees that the leg has some permanent weakening and should not be made to withstand any further stress?
Would you have a leg length discrepancy for the rest of your life.

And btw, I'm sorry, I don't mean to scare you, I'm just asking a general doubt here.
God forbid anything like this should happen to you, or anyone for that matter.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »

Yes, but ANYTHING can happen during LL.  It is a dangerous and serious procedure and EVERYONE wishing to undergo needs to understand the risks and consequences.

Whether it is due to my eggshell fracture at initial drilling that led to a fracture later which prevented me to lengthen, or whether one lengthens both legs and encounter issues with one leg later...  it's all a roll of the dice!   Many LL'ers encounter different leg lengths towards the end and have to adjust. 

Both our legs are different, left and right, and every individual is completely different.  None of my 7 classmates have exactly identical issues... it boils down to genetics, lifestyle, discipline, attitude etc.  In fact, most people are born with different minor leg length disparities or have pelvis tilts of various degrees.

Of my classmates, one had osteoporosis but doc prepared him with a lot of supplements for a year, another had thin bones and had to prepare ahead of time as well... and they still went ahead and completed.  I on the other hand, was the ideal candidate with thick dense bones from years of professional gymnastics, and am very flexible.  Yet, I'm the one with a fracture and complication.

But don't forget, I have little to no lengthening (I didn't say post-surgery) pain, no stretching pain, no soft tissue pulling pains.  I was able to click until the end with ease whereas most people encounter lengthening pains at 4cm on.

One thing is sure...  bones will heal (and then they might not, like non-union issues).  Genetics count, so going to a credible doctor and getting a realistic consultation of whether you're a good candidate for lengthening (or rather, bone breaking and healing) is IMPORTANT.

Finally, get a good doctor who can FIX.  And have good materials, and understand that whether it's g-nail, precise, fitbone etc.  Anything can happen... hence, the high risk of LL.

Hence, for me... again, LL is 90% will/mental power.  Need to have a POSITIVE attitude no matter what.  We will succeed!  There is a plethora of potential complications out there x100, hence, it's best to be aware of them, but not to be enslaved by the fear of them.  Getting by everyday, seeing improvements in your legs, strength and body changes are in itself rewarding enough to overcome obsessing over what can possibly go wrong next.

petite

• Visitor
« Reply #240 on: October 03, 2016, 03:34:29 AM »

What's the longest lengthening upon graduation among you and your classmates?

The Kaiser

« Reply #241 on: October 03, 2016, 03:52:24 AM »

Hey Unicorn hope you're doing well,

sorry to hear what happened for your left leg, is it your fault or the nail was weak?

is lengthening 8 cm required two surgeries?

how much does the surgery cost?

The Kaiser

« Reply #242 on: October 03, 2016, 03:53:10 AM »

and yeah does it include accommodations?

wasabix

• Visitor
« Reply #243 on: October 03, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

Yes, but ANYTHING can happen during LL.  It is a dangerous and serious procedure and EVERYONE wishing to undergo needs to understand the risks and consequences.

Whether it is due to my eggshell fracture at initial drilling that led to a fracture later which prevented me to lengthen, or whether one lengthens both legs and encounter issues with one leg later...  it's all a roll of the dice!   Many LL'ers encounter different leg lengths towards the end and have to adjust. 

Both our legs are different, left and right, and every individual is completely different.  None of my 7 classmates have exactly identical issues... it boils down to genetics, lifestyle, discipline, attitude etc.  In fact, most people are born with different minor leg length disparities or have pelvis tilts of various degrees.

Of my classmates, one had osteoporosis but doc prepared him with a lot of supplements for a year, another had thin bones and had to prepare ahead of time as well... and they still went ahead and completed.  I on the other hand, was the ideal candidate with thick dense bones from years of professional gymnastics, and am very flexible.  Yet, I'm the one with a fracture and complication.

But don't forget, I have little to no lengthening (I didn't say post-surgery) pain, no stretching pain, no soft tissue pulling pains.  I was able to click until the end with ease whereas most people encounter lengthening pains at 4cm on.

One thing is sure...  bones will heal (and then they might not, like non-union issues).  Genetics count, so going to a credible doctor and getting a realistic consultation of whether you're a good candidate for lengthening (or rather, bone breaking and healing) is IMPORTANT.

Finally, get a good doctor who can FIX.  And have good materials, and understand that whether it's g-nail, precise, fitbone etc.  Anything can happen... hence, the high risk of LL.

Hence, for me... again, LL is 90% will/mental power.  Need to have a POSITIVE attitude no matter what.  We will succeed!  There is a plethora of potential complications out there x100, hence, it's best to be aware of them, but not to be enslaved by the fear of them.  Getting by everyday, seeing improvements in your legs, strength and body changes are in itself rewarding enough to overcome obsessing over what can possibly go wrong next.

Hey unicorn, I've been following your thread for a while now and I have to say out of the many posts I follow you have a very charismatic personality, and you're pretty damn awesome - not to mention brave! Thanks for having the time to post your journey :)
I hope you don't mind me asking some questions (if they're too invasive you don't need to answer)
How can I increase the density of my bones?? (I lacked a lot of vitamins as a child, hence why I'm so small and I do not drink a lot of dairy until quite recently)
Like what should I eat, exercises and so on. I do not plan on having the surgery soon until 4-7 years from now unless I win the lottery so I do have quite a lot of time to prepare.
I've heard that it costs roughly 50-60k for each bone (so 60k to do femurs, and then 60k for tibias) Is this case true as I am looking into doing both my Tibia and Femur around the same time.
Also, if and when you recover could you state how well you can walk/what exercises you can do when you've fully healed? I wish to be a paramedic when I'm older so I'd need to know how this surgery would effect me work-wise.

I wish you the very best for the rest of your recovery dude :)

The Kaiser

« Reply #244 on: October 03, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »

Hey unicorn, I've been following your thread for a while now and I have to say out of the many posts I follow you have a very charismatic personality, and you're pretty damn awesome - not to mention brave! Thanks for having the time to post your journey :)
I hope you don't mind me asking some questions (if they're too invasive you don't need to answer)
How can I increase the density of my bones?? (I lacked a lot of vitamins as a child, hence why I'm so small and I do not drink a lot of dairy until quite recently)
Like what should I eat, exercises and so on. I do not plan on having the surgery soon until 4-7 years from now unless I win the lottery so I do have quite a lot of time to prepare.
I've heard that it costs roughly 50-60k for each bone (so 60k to do femurs, and then 60k for tibias) Is this case true as I am looking into doing both my Tibia and Femur around the same time.
Also, if and when you recover could you state how well you can walk/what exercises you can do when you've fully healed? I wish to be a paramedic when I'm older so I'd need to know how this surgery would effect me work-wise.

I wish you the very best for the rest of your recovery dude :)

Guichet does not recommend doing both segment at a same time, he said its longer recovery and double pain

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #245 on: October 03, 2016, 04:48:42 PM »

What's the longest lengthening upon graduation among you and your classmates?

Hi Petite,

Of this round of classmates, 7.5cm is the longest, and it was a girl.  She started in mid June, and already is home and slowly walking without crutches :)   

I had mine measured (via xray) today, I achieved 7.1cm on my right leg (yay!!!) since I'm limited to 7cm only.

I notice that the girls tend to have less lengthening pains than the guys.  One of our classmates started his lengthening pain at 3cm, so that's quite tough!

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #246 on: October 03, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »

Hey Unicorn hope you're doing well,

sorry to hear what happened for your left leg, is it your fault or the nail was weak?

is lengthening 8 cm required two surgeries?

how much does the surgery cost?

Hi Kaiser,

1)  The nail did not bend or break.  My bone cracked like an eggshell at drilling and it became vulnerable.  It fractured without any accident, just regular movement.  The nails are still in perfect condition, that's why Guichet did not remove it but repositioned it lower so that when my fracture is fully healed, I can start clicking again :)

2)   No, lengthening up to a maximum of 10cm requires only 1 surgery (the insertion of the G-nail) unless you have complications like myself (a fracture) which needed (1) the nail to be repositioned AND another surgery (2) to rebreak my femur so that I can start clicking again.  Also, for those who wish to remove the G-nail in 1 to 2 years, you need another surgery.  That's why it's super important to budget around potential complications as it can take more than just 1 surgery to complete your lengthening.

However, to answer your question, only 1 surgery is required to insert the G-Nail :)

3)  The pricing varies but do count £50k and above just for the lengthening alone (I think with my complication which also includes 2 more surgeries, more tests, more meds, more helper time, more transport costs etc, I'm coming close to £80k now):

INCLUDES
-  Bi-weekly consultations with Guichet
-  Daily physio
-  Isokinetic training/treatments

EXCLUDES
-  Pre-operation tests
-  Post-operation tests (each x-ray is approximately £300-400)
-  Pharmaceuticals
-  Accommodation
-  Treatments (ie. chiropractor)
-  Food
-  Transportation
-  Helper
-  Removal of nail (later)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #247 on: October 03, 2016, 05:08:08 PM »

I've heard that it costs roughly 50-60k for each bone (so 60k to do femurs, and then 60k for tibias)

Is this case true as I am looking into doing both my Tibia and Femur around the same time.

Yes, you can improve your bone quality over time.  Best to consult Guichet as he helped a patient with osteoporosis with supplements for one year before the surgery and he has completed his lengthening successfully :)   So, there's definitely hope.  I'm no expert but taking Glucosamine, vitamin D3, vitamin C and L-Lysine helps.

It's a long time away, so I'd say work on your flexibility.  That's most important and it does take years to improve.  Hence, taking up YOGA now will be most beneficial for lengthening later.  As for muscles, you will need strong and flexible quads, hamstrings, abs and triceps :)

I've heard that it costs roughly 50-60k for each bone (so 60k to do femurs, and then 60k for tibias)

It depends on who you go to, but yes, you can count on that much for 2 femurs or 2 tibias.

Is this case true as I am looking into doing both my Tibia and Femur around the same time.

Do read Iamready's blog as he did both at the same time (even then, it was separated by weeks, not really at the same same time).

From my understanding, most people go back to regular activity and athletic levels after a year or two.  So unless you're planning to be in the Olympics :), lengthening shouldn't hinder you from your noble goal of being a paramedic :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44   Go Up