Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 251957 times)

petite

• Visitor
Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2016, 03:31:58 AM »

Hi Unicorn,

I enjoyed reading your diary for your LL experience and your humor.  Sorry to hear you that you encountered a complication.  I hope you're doing ok or on the road to recovery soon.
Please keep us updated, even if just a one liner of hello.

Best Wishes

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2016, 08:37:58 PM »

Unicorn, I am worried. How are you? Did you have surgery?
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Mtall

« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »

Hey Unicorn!! Where have you been? This forum is dull without your bubbly posts! Hope everything's well and please let us know, yeah?  :) :)

gt_odt

• Visitor
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »

why do people use clicking nail when magnetic nail is available??
i saw doctor section and there are quite cheap doctos with precise nailing.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

Probably because she lives in london.

Penguinn

« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »

Basically
Guichet nail = full weightbearing but you have to do those clicks
Precice II nail = not full weightbearing but lengthening is super easy

Mtall

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2016, 06:09:59 PM »

Basically
Guichet nail = full weightbearing but you have to do those clicks
Precice II nail = not full weightbearing but lengthening is super easy

But for a person like me, whose weight varies around 55 kgs, I get the best of both worlds right? Hahahaha!

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »

As for as i know Paley and other doctors recommend to avoid full weight bearing with a precise to avoid nail bending.

Penguinn

« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »

But for a person like me, whose weight varies around 55 kgs, I get the best of both worlds right? Hahahaha!

Precice II is FULL weight-bearing for under 60kg? YUS! I'm annoyed I've been here a year and didn't know this.
I mean, I'm 61 but the surgery itself should drop me under 60.
Edit: Yeah, what YourSpaceBoyfriend said. It's avoided but still, nice to know.

Psst Unicorn, how are you?

alps

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2016, 06:41:19 PM »

http://ellipse-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PreciceIFU.pdf

see the specs for yourself.

edit: we should stop spamming her diary though.

Annalisa

« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2016, 04:37:55 PM »

I'm worried about unicorn too. She replied pretty quickly. Since she said she had complications,  her absence may be a sign things went worsten than expected. Hope to her from her soon. Anyway, can someone tell me  about the magnetic nail? Is it not the nail Guichet uses, right?

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2016, 05:19:37 PM »

No, Guichet uses his own variation of Albizzia Nail which uses clicking distraction mechanism when you rotate your leg. With magnetic nail you get an external device to activate the distraction process.

Basically: Magnetic nail = Precise System = Dr. Paley, Dr. Birkholtz, Dr Rozbruch etc.

And about Unicorn, maybe she is just busy give her some time.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #198 on: September 13, 2016, 05:57:01 PM »

J+50

Height Gained : 6.1cm / 164.6cm

Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry I haven't written in such a long time.  It's been terribly painful since I'm technically less than 1 week post-op (again!) and have to go through the over-medication, legs on fire, endless corridors of xray, dexa, doc appointments, yanking, back to Dante's Inferno!

Did I fare any better this time at the hospital?  Yes, no heart palpitation and felt right at home.  First thing I did was nick their posh toiletries ;).  Surgery scheduled at 9am, my BFF from Amsterdam came for 10 days to support. By the way, LL hack, genius BFF made me poo before surgery, wow helps after surgery - less pressure!  But all that ingenuity went down the drain when she dressed me and covered my head in one of those paper shower caps - and everyone I passed on the way to the operating theatre were stifling their laughter :o...  It was my freaking disposable UNDERWEAR.  Thanks a lot Bridget Jones, they make disposable ones in honour of you.

Marked a GIANT X on the fractured leg in case doc gets confused... (but when I got out of surgery, I noticed my other leg was marked O like tic tac toe - cheeky doc) got wheeled down to the operating theatre, anaesthetist recognised me (good, I'm a frequent flyer now) and we had a good laugh before ZzzzZZzzzzZzz...  damned, I never get to see what goes on and I forgot his joke, it's always a good dirty one as nobody ever remembers after!

Doc told my friend, surgery is minor, he's going to shave my curved femur and renail existing G-nail into a more stable site but closer to my knee.  Was slated to be out at 11am and I was still missing by 3pm.  My panicked friend ran around the hospital frantically looking for me, and discovered there's a LOST & FOUND for patients (creepy much?)...  and there I was on some covered gurney in the corridor, with a toe tag (ok kidding!).

Since I'm a surgery veteran, I made a deal with doc and the anaesthetist - I got the royal treatment, morphine pump (yeah, 99x before it runs out) and a morphine patch!  Am I Kate or what?  I did exit the hospital with an Alexander McQueen shift dress albeit to no paparazzi except my eager beaver BFF who took sooo many unflattering photos of me drooling in pain and delirium.

Great to have a friend around, we spent all day laughing (and she ate all my food) and due to my stubborn-ess NOT to have a catheter inserted, I peed all over myself again and again (not deliberately of course).  If it were deliberate, I would aim well the next time Doc G yanks me.  Even the nurses gave up re-changing the sheets (or maybe because I should tip them?).  Then they put me in a geriatric incontinence diaper swearing up and down that it has magic absorbing crystals (ooh kitty litter), and I'd be as dry as a pampers kid and clean as a squid.  Well off I go, and I can tell you, I was wading in a nice paddle pool the next morning!!!!!!!!!!   Maybe it's only effective when you're 90+

Anyway, the consequences of marinating in my own juices is I developed such a terrible rash, I was red, raw and resembled Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence minus the looks, the body, the blue colour and general hotness scale - same color eyes and skin texture though).  Doc preferred that I passed the night as it was quite painful to get your bone shaved (hats off to all Miss Korea's!!!).  Doc G did come visit but I pretended to die, the ECG was flatlining, so he didn't bother yanking.  Rigor mortis = not flexible.  Doesn't meet his 130 degree minimum requirement.

He came back early next day and I begged and begged him not to yank my legs and he said, no no, it's too fragile as the pin is close to my knees and my bones are glass right now (phew! hah! All that drama for nothing).  He said, I'll be xrayed, checked out, etc and can be released after lunch.  AND... I thought wow, my lucky day! I got away with murder, no yanking... until my BFF asked the doc earnestly, "but can she fold her legs, can you show us how to do it?" Doc G literally turned his heels around like Fred Astaire and gleefully, yanked!  I can tell you, with BFF's like these... I have NO enemies! >:( >:( >:(

Now, the BAD news...  yes, I lost the 3cm on my G-nail and now I've to wait about 3 months for my bones to fully heal before he re-breaks my femur again (rod's already in so he said, it's easy peasy, can be done while waiting at the bus stop, and if you should get hit by bus, insurance will cover), so that I can RE-START my lengthening process on my left leg :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  and on top of that, because it was clicked to 3cm before fracture, there's only 7cm left in the G-Nail to lengthen unless I want to remove and reinsert an entire new nail (no thanks!).  So I've made an executive decision, 7cm IT IS.  I'll never be a 5'6" pint size super model gracing Swimsuit Illustrated, but ok, there are other goals in life.  Like being Mystique's ugly dumpy sister.

Ok, ok, I still haven't cried yet.  The way I see it, my classmates both have stopped early as they cldn't deal with the pain (and guys, I'm telling you MANY TIMES again, don't UNDERESTIMATE the pain.  It's not the clicking, it's your BODY dealing with the ordeal and all the side effects, and your soft tissues, muscles stretching, over medication, immobility, everything you take for granted is HARD etc, and rebuilding of bones and regaining flexibility and resuming normal life.  I'm not defending Guichet's nail or Precise or Fitbone or Toothpick or Bamboo Stick - what I'm saying is - PREPARE FOR PAIN.  It might not come from your leg (and it usually doesn't).  It's the over medication, you're so immobile, it takes FOREVER to butt crawl from one end of the bed to the other to do a simple task and it feels like you've just ran a marathon (or chased by a T-rex according to some), so think about the endless xray tables you have to climb onto and pose in weird angles - they HURT like mad.

I could not be warned enough by speaking to LL vets before this and I can tell you, I didn't believe them - what pussies I thought! Even a taxi ride home from an appointment, you're stuck in traffic, and the car's braking and trundling, you really wish you could die - your legs are immobile and it hurts soooooooo much, you're begging the cab driver not to take a sharp turn or brake sporadically as your bones slam around and you can't control them.  Crying ain't gonna help.  I actually carry a rosary with me now and I chant and chant so that I can zone out (and I'm the Easter/Xmas church goer at best)

Anyway, other right leg (my beloved) has been behaving well.  Doc allowed me to continue at 1mm per day and I had little to no pain because of my flexibility.  But I'm losing the flexibility quite quickly now.  Doc yanked me and I went from 180 degrees to only 110 degrees legs stretched up and towards my head.  Doc was disappointed (!) >:(  No more karma sutra.

That's it for now.  I'm sure I've lots more to write but honestly, the last 2 weeks have been preoccupied with pill taking, clicking, exercising, trying to eat, pee&poo, trying to sleep, changing bandages and PAIN, shortness of breadth, nausea, all the symptoms of Post Op 101.

I really really do hope that in 2 weeks' time, my fractured leg would have stabilised (less shaved-bone legs on fire) and I would also have finished clicking to 7cm on my right leg (UNBELIEVABLE).  It's honestly quite a short process to gain so much height.  I do tower of my BFF who's 161cm and I was always so jealous in high school, muahahaha!  Every girl tells me it's just like child birth, you'll soon forget about the 9 months of hell and remember the push present... oops!  I meant, you'll only remember seeing your child for the first time (I'll savour the moment I get to see everyone's bald patch! Hah!).  Second executive decision, I'm surrogating twins, LL is my pregnancy experience, thank you very much.  I ain't your mama!  Any non-Zika volunteers, please PM me.  Project 2018 according to my horoscope.

I'm not allowed to go to the gym or the Isokinetic centre to minimise risk... it's like NO SCHOOL or SNOW DAY every day!  I'm so happy to be working out by myself at home ;D and binging on The Good Wife (I'm in love with Will Gardner, he's soooooo my type!).  And because my bedroom faces Hyde Park, the sun's helped my mood a lot, I pretend to be luxuriating on a superyacht (righto! with Will by my side whispering sexy legalese in my ear... where's my...)

Voila! I'm sure to have lots of random thoughts and rants for you, but in the meantime, thanks so much for your concern.  I'm still alive but kicking less.  Trying to keep my chin up.  Family holiday to India cancelled, everyone's coming to London (errrr, not considered a holiday for me, duh!  It's like you qualified for the Olympics and it's held in your hometown, or you're a Miss Universe contender and it's held in your hometown - so UNFAIR but maybe the home court bias helps) but anyway, taking it as well as I can one day at a time.

Even submitted my application for the Biennale de Venice art expo 2017 - theme - legs on fire - what else? xoxo
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:54:19 PM by Unicorn888 »

Mtall

« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »

Heyyyy Unicorn! I was so freaking glad when I saw you finally replied! I'm really sorry to hear these complications. I must admire the way you are still cheerful amidst losing that 3 cms. We're all here for you, and dude! we missed your colourful and humour-laden posts!  :)

Ok, ok, I still haven't cried yet.  The way I see it, my classmates both have stopped early as they cldn't deal with the pain (and guys, I'm telling you MANY TIMES again, don't UNDERESTIMATE the pain.  It's not the clicking, it's your BODY dealing with the ordeal and all the side effects, and your soft tissues, muscles stretching, over medication, immobility etc etc etc, and rebuilding of muscles and flexibility). 

After how much lengthening did they give up? At what length does the pain start becoming that bad?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »

After how much lengthening did they give up? At what length does the pain start becoming that bad?

To preserve privacy, it's not LL but initial health issues that contributed.  Not enough fat.  And another was more psychological, missing children/being in a foreign town/hotel all alone for so long. 

Pain starts at different times for everyone depending on your muscle/soft tissue flexibility, usually as everyone in this forum quotes 4cm on.  I didn't get mine until 6cm and now it's real stiff, tight and uncomfortable (and frankly scary as hell!  I keep thinking I'll end up paralysed  :'( seeing how inflexible I've become).  So I do salute those who endure it to the very end and cross their finishing line - it takes a lot!

As I'd emphasize over and over again, it's 90% mental willpower.  Don't EVER take this lightly!

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »

Pure curiosity: Why 7cm?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »

Pure curiosity: Why 7cm?

Because my G-nail was clicked to 3cm before I got my bone fracture (it was like a tyre puncturing, I lost the 3cm length gained).  So the G-nail has only 7cm more to click (it comes at 10cm max).  So I'll match my good leg to 7cm and be happy.

The other alternative was, doc removes the G-nail and inserts a new one with a new 10cm length.  But it's a more complicated, invasive surgery than I want to handle.

And I saw the xray of the shaved bone and new nailing - it's perfect!  He actually corrected my curved femur for free.  Like LL comes with free bow leg or pigeon toe or limb difference correction :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:03:32 PM by Unicorn888 »

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2016, 08:30:18 PM »

I was more about stopping at 6cm but whatever.

Just be careful, listen to your body and know the limits. Good luck.

Mtall

« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »

To preserve privacy, it's not LL but initial health issues that contributed.  Not enough fat.

I'm really thin too, so I'm quite concerned now. How does not enough fat affect you? Do you think I could make it to 5.5-6?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »

I was more about stopping at 6cm but whatever.

Just be careful, listen to your body and know the limits. Good luck.

You're absolutely right!  I cannot agree more.  EVERYONE has their very individual health issues, I realise because of our lifestyles, genes, body type, habits etc. 

I'm listening very closely right now because I'm happy with 6cm too :)  Thanks for the warning! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:25:32 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #206 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »

I'm really thin too, so I'm quite concerned now. How does not enough fat affect you? Do you think I could make it to 5.5-6?

Again, to cite a hypothetical example, the nails might touch the nerves and it's a whole different type of pain altogether.  Electric jolts.  Also, because you're on your butt all the time, if you don't have enough fat there, your butt bone starts to hurt a lot and sitting becomes a painful ordeal.  And then your coccyx starts to protrude.  And before you realise, you can no longer sit, only on a donut but with the donut and inflexible legs, you can't even butt crawl anywhere.  And when you're needed to do xrays (tons of them), it hurts so much you could cry as you've to lie flat and still at some oddly suspicious erotic pose.  And then spine problems start too.

I'm just saying...  these are some of those real examples that people don't even fathom, and none of these has anything to do with your legs.  Another example is that I'm still unable to lie flat as my spine would curve upwards and hurt like hell.  I need more something something muscles, I was told.  So I sleep like in Premium Economy every night.

Or I sprained my wrist from all that framing but I have no choice but to continue because I cannot stay immobile.  You just find ways to get around discomfort.

You've time to bulk up, just fatten up for your surgery and you'll lose the weight anyway because you do lose appetite because of the pain and medicines and you're pulled taller.  So, no loss there.  And worse comes to worse, ie. moi, I'll exercise off my excess weight if needed as running a marathon nked on hot coals would be a piece of cake after all that I've been through.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:23:30 PM by Unicorn888 »

goldenegg

« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »

hi unicorn sorry to hear about your complication, but glad to hear you are ok! you're a tough cookie and stick to your goals as long as the doctor says it's safe to do so. hopefully it will just be a small setback for a lifetime of height gain when you look back on it later. hang in there!

petite

• Visitor
« Reply #208 on: September 17, 2016, 08:48:22 PM »

Good to hear from you again.  It seems that you're back on track and have overcome your setback.  Hang in there, you're almost reaching the finish line.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »

Good to hear from you again.  It seems that you're back on track and have overcome your setback.  Hang in there, you're almost reaching the finish line.

Thanks Petite!  Really can't wait, counting the days :)   Am working out really hard, need a lot of strength to graduate from crutches...........

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »

hi unicorn sorry to hear about your complication, but glad to hear you are ok! you're a tough cookie and stick to your goals as long as the doctor says it's safe to do so. hopefully it will just be a small setback for a lifetime of height gain when you look back on it later. hang in there!

Thanks Goldenegg, yes, I've to compartmentalize every setback :)  Finishing right leg is a triumph.  Then, it's full speed bone healing supplements so that I can start on the left leg and get off crutches on the right.

Aside from the trauma and time loss, it ain't so bad to do it one at a time because you're taking less risk of falling etc, as much more stable and mobile.

That's how I have to look at it.  The xrays came back on my second repair surgery, and as Guichet boasted to me, it is a work of art...  perfection!  He may be absentminded, a sadist, a fear monger, has no bedside manners, but he's a very very good surgeon.  Imagine, my curved femur was shaved flat, rod placed right in the centre, affixed with 2 very large older version nails.  All stabilised now.

I think it's important to have a surgeon who can REPAIR and FIX all situations with experience.  He's not a cosmetic LL to begin with.  After seeing me in the hospital at 10pm, he rushed out to a hotel to see an 11 year old girl who was born with twisted bonsai legs and no ankles :'(.  So, his expertise is fixing and that gives me more comfort.  Besides, while he's always running around like a mad hatter, it shows a lot of passion and empathy (he might not be the most vocal and charming, but his gestures do demonstrate a lot - ESP THE TOUGH LOVE!!!  >:( >:( >:().

I can now do 200 reps of everything on the left (carefully) so as to rebuild all my muscles so that I can stand weight bearing on it (not yet but soon hopefully).

Also, pelvis is a bit skewed upwards, so am walking with ONE 16m GOTH BOOT with skulls, bat wings, studs and all BAD ASS accoutrements (I LOVE IT!), and one flat Ugg boot to match both legs (10cm for pelvic skew and 6cm for lengthening difference).  But I add 10lbs ankle weights on the left so that I can slowly pull my pelvis down before it becomes permanent scoliosis (scary word!!!!  Sounds like a cross between scabies, rabies, polio, leprosy, lupus, apotheosis...)

Have a good evening, need to finish up my 200s.  Doc G gives you an exercise book to do 10 exercises 10 times of 20 reps each.  What a pain in the ass! 

So I just do 50 reps 4 times a day.  No patience to do 10 times.  I can't even count that far... ???

LLuser1

• Banned
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »

Because my G-nail was clicked to 3cm before I got my bone fracture (it was like a tyre puncturing, I lost the 3cm length gained).  So the G-nail has only 7cm more to click (it comes at 10cm max).  So I'll match my good leg to 7cm and be happy.

The other alternative was, doc removes the G-nail and inserts a new one with a new 10cm length.  But it's a more complicated, invasive surgery than I want to handle.

And I saw the xray of the shaved bone and new nailing - it's perfect!  He actually corrected my curved femur for free.  Like LL comes with free bow leg or pigeon toe or limb difference correction :)

I think 7 cm are very fine for you cute girl!  :D :D
Was correction totally free? Or did you have to pay anesthesia and hospital fees?
Would you like to post Xrays?
Banned for wrongly implying a patient death/posting incomplete information and repeated spamming/bumping irrelevant threads to post about Dr Monegal/MMaker despite warning.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2016, 08:06:14 PM »

I think 7 cm are very fine for you cute girl!  :D :D
Was correction totally free? Or did you have to pay anesthesia and hospital fees?
Would you like to post Xrays?

Yes, doc confirmed today.  7cm is max for me as luckily enough my left leg actually is longer than my right naturally.

NOT totally free, it was a gimmick.  He charged me hospital and anaesthetist fees...  >:(

I don't mind, my bones are pretty anonymous, how do I do it, can I send it to one of you to host it?

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »

how do I do it, can I send it to one of you to host it?

This thread covers how to post images on the forum: http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=2183.0
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2016, 10:32:46 PM »

The moment of truth...  :-\

Fracture Image & Corrective Surgery

LEFT & RIGHT Nails Post Corrective Surgery

Right Femur at 6cm Distraction Gap

KiloKAHN

• Premier Member
  • Digital Devil
« Reply #215 on: September 22, 2016, 05:37:52 PM »

That first image is painful just to look at. Ouch. The x-ray after corrective surgery looks great though. Glad he took care of it for you.
Initial height: 164 cm / ~5'5" (Surgery on 6/25/2014)
Current height: 170 cm / 5'7" (Frames removed 6/29/2015)
External Tibia lengthening performed by Dr Mangal Parihar in Mumbai, India.
My Cosmetic Leg Lengthening Experience

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »

That first image is painful just to look at. Ouch. The x-ray after corrective surgery looks great though. Glad he took care of it for you.

He's a genius surgeon, but boy, bad bedside manners!  He told me at first to exercise more and increase my clicks!  It was 6 days before discovering it was a fracture and not fast bone consolidation! 

I told him I was in deep pain and that I needed a morphine patch.  He's like, "No! 10 more clicks for you per day!" 

And I did finish all the clicks + 10, but they took like 6 hours and the sound was not a CLACK anymore, it was like snapping a KitKat in two :'( :'( :'(   To this day, I don't know how I survived those 6 days!

This is Guichet in a nutshell.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 09:08:19 PM by Unicorn888 »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44   Go Up