Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 252062 times)

YourSpaceBoyfriend

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2016, 04:09:48 PM »

Sorry that I'm such a drama queen.

It's fine, that is your diary and expressing yourself probably gave you some kind of emotional relief.

I'm interested what guichet will tell you doe lol.

Auron

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »

Why would you want to do it remotely? That would be lonely and boring (Sorry cat). Get your ass up and meet with others. Share your experience, talk, socialize. Do you have any concerns? Talk to Guichet or anyone who has the knowledge. Why are you lenghening? Just so you can see your cat from higher above? No! You wan'na be taller to feel better around people and that's gooing to happen in 2 months, TWO MONTHS! Hell, you better start practicing some pick up lines with the boys. fk it, you won't need pick up lines, they will be all over you. If I was there I'd drag you along to the meets ups, phisyo, etc.

Sorry dudette, but you'll have a much better life pretty soon so start getting used to it. Don't waste your time at home.

CCMidwest

« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »

Hell, you better start practicing some pick up lines with the boys. fk it, you won't need pick up lines, they will be all over you.

This made me giggle.

Anyway,

Unfortunate you're having a bad time, unicorn.

It's what you signed up for though. Hang in there.

What did guichet say at your 8am meet?
5'7.5

alps

« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »

oh alright. That is indeed relieving. The way you put it it seemed like the doctor and physio had abandoned you. it's you who doesn't want to see them ? haha

anyway stay tough! this is part and parcel of LL.

paddy10tellys

« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:18 PM »

Dear, oh Dear. It sounds dreadful! I'm so sorry. Thank you, Unicorn. I needed to read this. I for one, really appreciate the graphic detail, the psychodrama & the despair, in your account. It's both informative & entertaining in a vicarious, hair-raising sort of way. I'm fascinated & appalled: I simply can't wait for the next instalment... I'm not having a Schadenfreudegasm, honest. It's like someone just chucked ice water in my face, or slapped me & I suddenly, genuinely perceived, for the first time, actually what the Hell I was contemplating doing to myself... respect lady. My respect!
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2016, 10:53:49 PM »

J+10

Having failed to make any appointments since the surgery, I was super determined to beat Guichet to his office at 8am.  I got up at 6am, and got into a black cab at 7:15am.  I did beat him and the first thing he tells me is, "ah, it's you!  I've nothing in my files, my server is down, so which leg was it that was problematic again?"  ???

We went through a thorough yet routine Q&A about my pain level, quality of life, eating, farting, pooing, medication, sleep, company - he emphasizes a lot on mental health as he always says, that's the only way to grow taller.  Strong will power in the face of abject pain.

Then came the 'physical exam again'.  I shuddered as he casually lifted and bent my leg (again with no hesitation or empathy) and pushed my knee against my ear (is this even legal?!) and said, "ok, good to go, see you on Aug 16th".  Then I got an earful (as in he pulled my ears) for not showering for 2 weeks (at first I thought he could smell me until I realized that my chest was still riddled with the familiar round but very dirty sticky markings of the hospital electrodes :-[), for not showing up at physio after 1 week post surgery, for not filling in my online diaries (which he monitors) and for drifting towards the dark side. 

Anyway, saved by the bell, one of the other 2 patients who were operated in the same week as me was in excruciating pain, so I got booted out quite swiftly :)  He was met with a punch in the gut by Doc G for daring to show up in a WHEELCHAIR!  Never do that I tell you future patients.  Nothing angers him more.  I could see him hurling the wheelchair along with my broken friend out the window.

Anyway, went home.  Had to go back out again for 2pm 'first' physio.  But in the meantime, let's go back to where I last left off...

This is where I tell you about what I had not expected from leg lengthening, not the pain from growing legs (for now).  It's EVERYTHING else.  Your back hurts from slouching, your bum hurts for sitting all day, every part of your body from your neck, shoulders, elbows, in between groin, are tender and sensitive and your heart is palpitating too fast (that's why they give you diazepam), you're so feverish your face actually numbs... all because (I'm told) your body still can't figure out how you broke both legs (and it's not buying that unintelligible rock climbing freak accident story either), and the massive construction work to be undertaken by your body army into the near future.

Also, it's all a rolling snowball...  I thought I'd be reading, watching movies, writing a NYT bestseller cat coffee table book - woohoo!  NOT!  Your stomach is devouring you alive from the inside because of the painkillers, your gut has nothing to digest, you're nauseous, no appetite nor can you keep anything down or in, malnourishment sets in and your strength reduces to zero (sometimes not enough to form a full sentence, and I'm one loquacious cat).

You've no more flora and fauna in your stomach, so whatever you force down your throat goes through a trial and error digestive tract (it's like an intestinal reboot).  I ordered up all my fav foods in the whole world (yes, I'm white trash) - Domino's American Hot pizza (yeah, gave me 6 hours of diahhrea - mozzarella duh!), KFC spicy chicken wings (diahhrea - spicy says it all duh!), kimchi soup (diahhrea - fermented AND spicy duh!), ice cream (diahhrea - full dairy duh!), Starbucks Skinny Latte (diahhrea - more dairy albeit from skinny cows duh!), pomegranates (diahhrea - too many seeds duh!), carrot juice (diahhrea - too orange colored duh!), hot chocolate (diahhrea - fake creamer duh!), fish & chips (diahhrea - tartare sauce duh!), you get the point.  But my learning curve has been a bit flat due to the lack of nourishment to my mental faculties, so pls excuse yours sincerely.

So here I am, no leg troubles whatsover, but my body is in shock alternating from feverish hallucinations to teeth rattling frostbite, all within the same room temperature.  My body felt like it was being fed into a thin potato mandolin.  In front, I'm bowled over from my stomach acid burning and churling, while my spine and butt hurt so much I'm arched backwards to compensate - I'm struggling to appease these two enraged battling postures.

Of course, being the lazy ass Amazon trigger happy consumer that I am, I came up with the idea of getting disposable bedpans - screw it, I risk so much racing to the toilet a 100 times a day, I'd rather just blast off right in bed and my helper will just have to nurse me professionally, like at Princess Grace :-*

Well, blast off I did, but the bedpan cracked under the full throttle and it went pancake flat under me.  This was one of my low points.  And only last night, I completely missed my Ziplock bag and peed all over my bicycle (now that's a good hygienically acceptable reason to set it on fire - yay!).  The stench of chemical is unbearable.  It's not even the reek of your dodgy alley urine, it's sweet, clean and all too synthetic.  That's what makes this such a vicious cycle, the chemical of all things.

The other low was my second night at the hospital, peeing all over myself in the middle of the night and nobody dared venture into my room to change my sheets because I was in so much pain (and something silly about me hissing in a deep, male voice, 360 degree neck flexibility, and green puke trajectory).  Anyway, the good doc on night duty noted on the board on my door, "Pain and pee management needed - and an exorcist please". 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:23:30 PM by Unicorn888 »

dream_catcher

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »

Unicorn888, don't get too upset. LL is indeed a very heavy stress test to your whole body and mind, not just your legs. The weakest part of your body and mind is inevitably breaking down under LL. But you will get better as long as you force yourself to eat high quality food, even without any appetite, and do as much exercise as you can, at least at home. And it's important to keep updating the online spreadsheet, as that's the main source of information on which Dr.G relies to give you his best suggestions. I know it's not easy to do all this. in the beginning, I too missed most of the physiotherapy sessions and was unable to update the spreadsheet regularly, though I did exercises at home and maintained a log about my daily experience myself. But you have to help yourself!   

Penguinn

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2016, 09:10:02 PM »

Sucks that you're in so much pain, but it won't last forever. The height will.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2016, 10:37:44 PM »

Thanks Dream_Catcher and Penguinn :-*

Am on aspirin now, which is even lighter, and the nausea and acid burn have disappeared.  Had appetite for once, Royal China dimsum :P. What a feast, really lifted my spirits ;D

CURRENT PAINS
-  right knee sharp muscle spasm (can't move)
-  throbbing pain all over right hip area
-  pulsating electrical jolt nerve pain from my inner thigh to my groin area.  No toe curling multiple orgasms unfortunately
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 11:11:42 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »

J+14

Height Gained : 2.59cm / 161cm

Let me start by saying, there's a special place in hell reserved for those who disregard the disabled.  I admit I have never been fully aware nor paid any particular attention to ramps and disability accessible facilities etc  :-\
But when you're unable to walk, trying to hail a cab, and they pass you with a shake of the head because it's too much trouble to unload the swivel chair or mount the wheelchair ramp, that's when you realise the amount of discrimination out there.

While Adriana (my best helper in the world :-*) was out hunting (as she calls it as it's quite strenuous) for a black cab for me, I was left near (not blocking) the entrance of the gym in my wheelchair.  There were people who rushed in, saw me 'in their way' and actually rolled their eyes because I was an obstacle (from tomorrow on, I will wear a cardboard sign on my chest like a good gypsy woman, "Broke legs saving twin babies from cliff"), maybe someone will throw a penny my way.

That said, there are more kindness out there than there is prejudice.  Many a cab driver would take the extra time to be super helpful and all of them related their bone breaking experiences.  One of them even presented me with the gift of a quran ;D  Insh'allah!  He said "May Allah lighten your path..." I'm touched!  Another today proudly dropped his trousers to show me his femur scar (and boner 8) ok, kidding kidding, bad joke!) and I showed him mine ;)... amazing how much technology has evolved.  Mine's no longer than a thin 5cm, while his is a complete autopsy or frog dissection or Scarface... runs the entire length of his thighs.  He called me a sissy!

The last 4 days have been nonstop workouts for me.  200 reps of 10 exercises do take up the entire day in addition to 1:30hr of cycling.  I do feel more mobile, my knees buckle less and I feel more confident on my walker frame.  In addition, I can now roll around, on my side, back, fetal position, yay!  I'm told I should be graduating to crutches tomorrow now that 14 days are over.  Looking forward to kissing the pavement for sure.

My clicking schedule has decreased from 21 clicks per day to 15 (1mm per day).  Surprisingly enough, NO PAIN, NO STRESS to click.  It takes me exactly 1 min to click one set (5 or 7) per leg.  I've been quite thrilled because clicking was what I dreaded most.  But since I'm that girl who'd take 11 roller coaster rides back-to-back so that I could get over the fear and LOVE roller coasters, I programmed myself to look forward to clicking (as Doc G is fond of saying, "Bon cliquage" (somehow doesn't sound anything nice like "bon appetit", in fact, it makes my skin crawl).  Now, I just can't wait for each 8hr sequence to come around so that I can embrace the fact that it's adding 1mm to my height and nobody in the entire world can give me the gift of height but me (and Doc G)!  How am I going to 'edit' my new HEIGHT on my passport?  Late bloomer?  Oooh, luxurious problem to have...

I'm still on sleeping pills but not getting a full 8 hours uninterrupted.  I wake up every 2 hrs to pee, take painkillers or cycle a bit because of the tightness, heaviness, soreness (not pain, just irritating dull achy bones).  I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes before some part (like butt) becomes sore, and I've to fidget some more.  I accidentally glanced at my butt today and wow!  I really thought I'd get to parade around in a g-string next summer with super sexy long legs... but with a butt riddled with bruises, welts, rashes - it's back to the burquini for me :'(   It reminds me of the one time I fancied a guy and we had a date set up (he lived in Moscow and me Paris at the time).  Excitedly, I got my teeth laser whitened (not the Groupon torchlight kind) so that I could bedazzle him.  It turned out, my teeth became so sensitive, contact with air made me wince and I had to purse my lips the entire time.  Needless to say, his parting words were, "you're so shy :-X"  No farewell kiss either even though by then, my teeth was glowing enticingly in the dark and he couldn't have missed :-\

Working out at 10am every day with the 2 others I was operated wth 2 weeks ago, is so fun, motivating and a real highlight for me.  For some reason, when I'm with Filippo (who is a STAR, GEM and total sweetheart) in the studio, I don't feel any discomfort or pain.  We're concentrated on completing our exercise sets together, exchanging experiences and making jokes.  Filippo mentioned today that each group dynamic does influence each other (so lazy ones will play truant, the druglords will get high grinding down and sniffing codeine), ours is an intimate 3 of finance folks (when doc G mentioned 'non-compliance', we asked in unison,"money laundering?" ::)) but it also means we're competitive and disciplined.  Doc G mentioned that he even has groups of patients who were operated at the same time who meet up once a year to commemorate their journey :)

It is for certain that this is a serious and invasive enough surgery that NOBODY has identical issues.  Statistically speaking (I could be wrong), but 2/3s of LL patients encounter complications.  From my group and the group before me, ALL of us suffered one complication or another.  Mine was a surface eggshell fracture near my knee.  I don't feel differently, nor will it affect my recovery/training, but it will take 6 weeks to fully heal and I have to avoid falling straight on my left knee.

I've established a daily routine pat down now, which makes my life simpler as I don't have to think too hard about what to do.

06:00 Wake up and cycle to warm up
06:30 1st set of clicks
10:00 Physio (2hrs + handicap shower facilities - DREAM COME TRUE)
14:30 2nd set of clicks
22:30 3rd set of clicks, lights out
* in between, I continue to finish up daily exercise requirements, siesta etc.

Doc G just called right now (again) to scream at me for using a wheelchair.  Someone SNITCHED!  And I did put on a trucker's cap, fake moustache, glasses, nose and beard, damned!  I cheated, I admit it.  I used the wheelchair just to get into cab and into gym (I didn't wanna risk over exertion/falling/unnecessary accidents - besides there's always street drama):

Case 1 : Onslaught of the runs, had to beg cab driver to stop me at McDonalds - got wheeled in quickly to toilet bowl (see? saved my life)
Case 2 : Taxi couldn't find us, parked 100m away and refused to turn around - got wheeled to cab (see? saved my life)

BUT NO, he says as punishment, tomorrow on, 1 hour of crutches pour moi (not even walker frame anymore) everyday :'( :'( :'(

Don't get me wrong, I like picking on Doc G but he is (to my esteem) a great doctor.  Doesn't sugarcoat, very serious, cares enough to call up and scold you (2 red cards for me), makes appointments to see you, patiently replies to my endless text messages even on Sunday nights (paranoid questions like, "dear doc, is it bad luck that my cat jumped over my broken femurs?"), monitors your activities, moods, clicks, pains, meds in real time (using a shared server), and BEWARE he has eyes behind his head (he knows what you did!)...

In all the time I've known him, he's only never answered one question.  He had told me that he couldn't risk non-payment again because 2 of his patients ran away without paying after their surgery.  I was on the operating table high on diazepam, and started slurring, "but how did they run away, when they had two broken leeeeeeeegzzzzzZZZZZZzzZZz..." and there, he NEVER answered my question!

Ps.  Women can breastfeed with a towel over their chest, so today I peed (while on wheelchair) with a towel over my lap.  But in my guilt and panic, my funnel missed the ziplock bag and before I could react, a puddle was spreading and even running on the uneven gym floor.  I was desperate (someone's gonna catch me out and soon), and it was not like I could hop on 2 legs and find a mop.  Thank god, I had a can of coke with me, and shamelessly, I gave it a hard shake and sprayed it all over my petite accident.  Voila!  Problem solved!  Me bad!  But people with broken legs should be able to pee in public like women can breastfeed openly (unless you're at a Trump convention of course).  There should be NO SHAME in answering the call of nature ...with dignity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:15:45 PM by Unicorn888 »

Auron

« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »

J+14

Another today insisted on dropping his trousers to proudly show me his scar (and boner 8) ok, kidding kidding, bad joke!) and I showed him mine ;)... amazing how much technology has evolved.  Mine's no longer than 5cm max..

You showed him your boner?  :o

Penguinn

« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »

You showed him your boner?  :o

And it's no longer than 5cm max. Ask Guichet for tiny frames to lengthen that too.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »

I don't even imagine what kind of pain would come from dong LL.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »

And it's no longer than 5cm max. Ask Guichet for tiny frames to lengthen that too.

Brilliant!  Toothpicks! ;)

jbc

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »

Hi Unicorn,

First - congratulations on your new height - you are over 2.5 CM taller in 14 days, that is awesome!! I read your diary with great interest. It is evident you have a penchant for writing, and you are quite the raconteur :). Humor itself is great medicine, so I hope your spirits continue to remain lifted.

Question regarding your pain levels: immediately post-surgery, you were, from what I read, in quite severe pain. Would you say that has definitely lessened, and if so, in what ways and what regions? I'm really glad that it doesn't hurt to click, and grateful to you for providing a frank and forthright accounting of what going through something like this really means.

Regards,

--jbc

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »

Question regarding your pain levels: immediately post-surgery, you were, from what I read, in quite severe pain. Would you say that has definitely lessened, and if so, in what ways and what regions? I'm really glad that it doesn't hurt to click, and grateful to you for providing a frank and forthright accounting of what going through something like this really means.

Hi JBC,

I'm going to break it down phase by phase, perhaps it'll be easier to internalise (this is just MY experience, it might be a breeze for some others :P :():

HOSPITAL

Day 1 - Ask for an epidural that lasts ALL NIGHT.  That way, you get to sleep through the 1st night, you won't feel a thing (otherwise, see Day 2 >:()

Day 2 - Biggest shock when anaesthesia wears off, legs go from soreness, then heavy to FIRE and bones being nailed!  Ask for harder doses of painkillers (morphine), we didn't get them - your legs are just throbbing and screaming nonstop. Every 4 hours, you get more meds but it takes 30 mins to work and it runs out 30 mins before the 4th hour, so your heart is already palpitating and you're panting like you're in labour.  I found drips and injections work faster than pills.  The right painkiller literally 'soothes' you to sleep, that's how effective it is, but again, you're jolted awake screaming in 3hrs time.  You'll call the nurse and you'll have to wait patiently (as in chant some mantra) while she goes and gets authorisation to administer, consult your chart, get the doc on duty's sign-off ::) :-[ :'( >:( etc, it's not an automatic or smooth transition.

Day 3 - While all this is happening, Doc G and the physios descend on you like Dementors.  They're too cheerful for your liking, and they'll lift your legs, move you about and familiarise you with the motions you're allowed.  And all this while, every inch of movement screams and you're trying not to cry. 

When you're alone, you daren't ask for trouble by moving too much, so you're kinda stuck in one position and if you got too hot or were itchy, you have to call the nurse because moving just wakes up the sleeping beast and you're on fire again.  So I call nurses nonstop to turn up the heat, turn down the heat, pull the blanket over my nked toe, straw as I can't reach water at my 50 degree backwards position.  We're talking pure babying.  I ate by myself and can tell you I missed my mouth a couple of times and fed my boobs instead.  Neither were happy with me.

Worse is the fact that you need to do your x-ray and ultrasound for blood clots.  They need to roll you from one bed to a gurney, and it is pure agony.  It's not like they carelessly toss you from one cot to another in a bodybag.  They lift your bedsheets and slide you gently (it takes a crew of 4 strong).  But the pressure of the sheets against your skin and bones is indescribably painful (or I'm a big cry baby!).  You're made of glass.

HOME

Day 4 - Check-out day, pain should subside as you realise that exercising no matter how terrifying it is to brave the initial pain to raise your leg/cycle, actually eases off the fire.  However, Doc G insists that you go do your Dexa (bone density test) before you get home and NO WHEELCHAIRS allowed.  I never understood this cruelty.  You're new on your walker, your quads and knees are weak and you've zero confidence.  Yet, you've to walk from your hospital room, get in a cab, get to the clinic, climb 4-5 steps and then walk about 50m of corridor.  Same thing again, back out to cab home.  By the time you hit your bed, you're feverish and in pain everywhere from over exertion.  Your neck muscles hurt, your shoulders hurt, your arms hurt, your spine is taxed to the max etc.  I went into shock, i.e. froze, lost temperature as I had no more energy (to even ask for water).  Couldn't rest or sleep either because other problems started to crop up especially after all the painkillers I had consumed at the hospital.  Your greatest dream is to go under general anaesthesia all over again!

Day 5 - By this time, you're learning how to build a nest around your bed, all your essentials are at the tip of your fingers, with the least movement possible.  The painkillers would be giving you gastritis and nausea.  You'd have lost all appetite for food.  And your body and legs are heavy and sore all the time.  The more exercises you do, the more you regain your ability to lift your legs, swing around, master bedside mobility so that you can scratch yourself, open a window, balance a bowl of soup, pet a scorned neglected cat etc.

Not being able to go to the bathroom will discomfort your gut (your intestines feel like exploding).  So now, not only are you having leg pains but body functioning issues.  Your system is in chaos, trying to juggle so many alarms going off at the same time.

Days 6-10 - You're now getting used to sore legs all the time but also learning how to ease off the pressure with constant movement and exercise.  I got feverish each time I got near the end of my painkilling 4 hours.  You spend more time reconfiguring your food intake as to avoid diahhrea, constipation, indigestion, acid reflux, massive gas, stomach aches, even bladder/urinary infections.  In addition to those muscular pains from over-compensating arms and spine to make up for a useless pair of legs, your butt bone HURTS as you're sitting a 100% of the time (you can't even turn on your side or belly.  It's straight on your spine or butt, with legs perched 50 degrees upwards for drainage).  Except (I hope Doc G reads this) when you get off your butt and frame walk around Oxford St as he so enthusiastically recommends ::) ::) ::).

Days 11-14 - You'll now start to get lots of random pains that never existed before that do send you into a spiral of paranoia and panic.  I had electric shocks from knees to groin area (so random I finally had to send my poor reluctant helper to a sex shop for a vibrator - worked like a charm - you've to fight fire with fire!).

When I wake up, both knees are locked and cannot be folded without very very sharp nerve pain (and I found that the best way to deal with it was to take a deep breadth, YANK and FOLD).  It releases the tension asap but not before feeling like you've just ripped off your leg, tendon, ligament, muscle and God knows what other mechanical bits and bops down there (hence, the non-stop paranoia). 

You get wound area pain, throbbing near the nail area, super tightness and soreness that won't quit and new 'growing bone stretching pains'.  You can't really think of anything else all day.  I practice slow yoga breathing, try not to hyperventilate and pull a blanket over my head with a torchlight because it makes me feel more in control of my universe and safer, for some freudian reason. I had not opened 1 book nor watched a commercial (much less a movie).  I can't concentrate after having to fidget every few minutes to find a less painful position (esp butt) to lie/sit (hover/levitate).  Most of the time, you wish you could sleep most of your conscious hours away.

You realise that part of these aches and pains are persistent each time you do not move for over 5-10 minutes etc.  That's how you end up doing the same 1,000 exercises at every free moment you have.  To get blood pumping and the soreness to diminish.  That's why cab rides over 20 minutes are more challenging than doing hard physio at the gym.  You get irritable quickly because you never know what movement (or non-movement) would insult some random body part and make you pay hell.

Day 14 onwards - I'm yet to discover much.  It's just super concrete legs, stiff and heavy.  Once you get over the initial shock of mobilising them (by means of yanking or if you've time, a two-day sloth-like movement), they get light and fluffy to the extent you actually don't feel them.  Then, as you complete your exercises and towards evenings, your legs fatigue and that's when it starts yowling like an irritated tired baby again.  You'll get random flare ups around calves, knees, wound, nerves, butt, spine, shoulders - it's an endless medley of fireworks.  This is also why you need a sleeping pill, because you do want to disconnect your head from your legs/body long enough so that you can actually think of nothing for once.

Body functions are almost back to normal by now because you've learnt by trial and error (diahhrea or vomit, your pick >:() what offends your body least, and you ease off toxic meds and start building up fuel.

AND I haven't even started on complication nor clicking pains yet as I've been lucky not to have either to date.  I hope you'll find this helpful.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 07:21:44 PM by Unicorn888 »

jbc

« Reply #110 on: August 10, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »

Incredibly helpful. This accounting should be required reading for anyone that undergoes this procedure (modulo, perhaps, the vibrator bit, which I'm having a hard time parsing :) ).

I arrive in London on September 11, and meet with Dr. Guichet on September 12 or September 13. Will you still be in the hospital at that time? Would love to meet you and your merry band of financiers :).

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2016, 06:31:53 PM »

J+16

Height Gained : 2.79cm / 161.29cm

Mini update.  Started crutching today, mighty scary, makes the damned walker a freaking Aston Martin.  After doing 2 hours of crutch laps around the gym, my body went on strike.  Sharp electrical pain from knees to hips.  Excruciating when standing, my entire lower body was trembling uncontrollably.  Succumbed to codeine this afternoon.  Will try to figure a way to get into my bathtub with epsom salt.  That should do plenty of good.  I'm not tired of lengthening yet, I'm inspired by the height I'm attaining, it's unimaginable even if I don't feel any taller at all.

On a brighter note, yet another cab driver voluntarily dropped his pants to show us his femur scar.  What's with men and the slightest excuse to flash themselves?  Jokes aside, he's plagued with a brittle bone disease and has passed it on to his 2 kids.  His son broke his leg at 2 and now at 7, has broken his bones over 10 times.  The things we take for granted really :-[.  He was showing me scars all over his arms, elbows, legs etc, he said he's so used to it.  He even calls himself an X-men mutant, the Glass Man.

I am overwhelmed by how cheerful and positive he is, especially in light of the fact that his entire family suffers from the same fragile condition.  He said, they all have a high threshold of pain, and yet I cannot take comfort in his considerate reassurance nor fathom what it's like to be a child who shatters easily and is always wearing a cast  :'( :'( :'(  But he says, they're all champion swimmers :D

Next, I had the pleasure to change my bandages for the first time.  It's UNBELIEVABLE, the length of my scar is 3cm.  How the hell did he insert the rod?  I was telling a friend... "Doc G must have shoved it up my ass" and my naive and gullible friend replied, "wow, today's technology is amazing!" ::) ::) ::)  Doc G should lengthen her cerebral cortex.

Yesterday, was my first post 'growth' x-ray.  I could see the GAP on each leg and the jagged edges and soft tissue 'filling' where it's "Under Construction".  Can't tell if my bone is fusing fast or slow, will have to wait to see Doc G next week to interpret.  Whatever it is, it's quite counter intuitive for those of you who are new.  At first, you actually don't want your bones to heal too efficiently because you want to be able to click/distract with relative ease.  As you approach your desired height or post lengthening, that's when expedient bone healing is much welcomed. 

That's why there is confusion where, if clicking becomes painful post 4cm, Doc G might instruct increasing clicks, to slow down bone fusion and ease pain (counter intuitive, right?).  And there are previous patients I've met whose bones took longer than normal to fuse after they stopped clicking. Or another who's bone fused completely within 2 weeks after stopping clicking :D  He was literally able to jump for joy!

I agree with Takanori, the worst is not over after the first 2 weeks.  I think you just get used to the discomfort, pain, impatience, helplessness, emotional vulnerability, lack of sleep and appetite, mood swings and unexpected pains in places you never knew existed on your body.  That's why my whole paranoia about every new unrecognisable ache/pain/condition.  It's like when I climbed Kilimanjaro, getting a foot blister might send you home because you can no longer climb/track without worsening your condition, then health/infections, then group safety etc.  Similarly, I can't afford to fall/injure/abrade/sprain my shoulders, arms, wrist, back, ankle etc. as any of these otherwise minor incidents might mean no crutching for me.  No independence, hampered mobility and physio, slowed lengthening, bone fusing etc.  It's ALL a vicious cycle...

I just want to sleep after physio, wake up to click, sleep until dinner/click and then sleep 'til morning.  It would be so ideal.  Fidgeting around every 5 minutes is dreadfully annoying :'( otherwise, it's achy sore legs nonstop and I can't think of anything else.

Anyway, here I am, an old chicken, who will soon be an old ostrich thanks to LL! ???
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:09:54 PM by Unicorn888 »

Penguinn

« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »

I seem to have underestimated LL pain. Congratulations on the extra inch+ gained!

Why isn't there a sleeping medication that puts you out for 6-8 hours? 3 seems like a cruel joke.

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »

J+16

Height Gained : 2.79cm / 161.29cm

I'm not tired of lengthening yet, I'm inspired by the height I'm attaining, it's unimaginable even if I don't feel any taller at all.

So almost half of your lengthening gj.

You don't feel taller because you don't gain 6cm at once but small amount in a period of time don't worry.

I seem to have underestimated LL pain.

It depends on a person.

I have personaly seen 9 year old kid with ilizarov frame on his femur(he got it like 1-2 weeks ago) and he barely cared at all.

Penguinn

« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »

I have personaly seen 9 year old kid with ilizarov frame on his femur(he got it like 1-2 weeks ago) and he barely cared at all.

On the femurs that too? That kid must have adult size balls. No way that didn't hurt.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2016, 07:34:04 AM »

Why isn't there a sleeping medication that puts you out for 6-8 hours? 3 seems like a cruel joke.

Even if they shot me with an elephant tranquilliser, I'd still be awake when the painkiller expires. 

However, if that elephant didn't sit on my legs and have a grand picnic in the first place, there would have been no need for tranquillisers or painkillers 8)

paddy10tellys

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

It's UNBELIEVABLE, the length of my scar is 3cm.  How the hell did he insert the rod?  I was telling a friend... "Doc G must have shoved it up my ass" and my naive and gullible friend replied, "wow, today's technology is amazing!" ::) ::) ::)  Doc G should lengthen her cerebral cortex.

Lolabetes! Your gullible friend is? "Alice Springs Horton" from "The Vicar of Dibley"

Keep it up. I so hope Dr G is reading this...
Ht 169.5 cms. Wingspan 165cms. Arms 72cms. Femur-tibia length ratio = 56/44. Wants 175cms. Tibias only

Jessie Believer

• Visitor
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2016, 04:12:02 PM »

I tried this and I felt a huge relief.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2016, 08:29:02 PM »

Wow!  Thanks Jessie Believer.  Coincidentally, I just got both my deep muscle tissue massager and muscle pain stimulator electrodes today.  They're are just incredible.  I feel like I'm living in a permanent spa treatment.

I'm going to list all the silly paraphernalia I've bought so far and rank them by usefulness.  Hopefully, this might help others out there looking for ideas for make their lives easier or to relief discomfort :)

Goodnight!  :)

Mtall

« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »

Hey unicorn. Hope you're doing well.
I wanted to ask you....are you lengthening continously or are there breaks in between ? If you take breaks, how many days do these breaks last and why did you have to take them?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »

Hey unicorn. Hope you're doing well.
I wanted to ask you....are you lengthening continously or are there breaks in between ? If you take breaks, how many days do these breaks last and why did you have to take them?

Hi MTall,

Yes, lengthening is continuous with 6-8hrs in between each clicking session.  This is to prevent the bone from fusing.  So in a way, you're constantly "stretching" the bone before it can solidify.  If you miss a few days of clicking, either it gets too painful to click or the doc will have to click you under general anaesthesia (and doesn't sound very pleasant).  So there are cases (myself included) when it's too stressful or painful to click, but I will wait, relax, listen to music, sometimes even middle of the night when muscles are relaxed to ensure I click the day's schedule.  It's super important and about 100% of my homework every day.

Hope this helps :)  Take care!

mrmayor

• Visitor
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2016, 01:33:26 PM »

Unicorn, if you are willing:  tell us about your "next"...what do you keep nearby that we wouldn't have necessarily considered.  And you were going to list items/paraphernalia in order of usefulness.   

I go in for my femurs on Aug 25 with Dr. Paley.  I think that puts you about 2 months ahead of me

Thanks for all updates

Mark
40yo male.  starting:  5'9"  ending:  TBD.  Going to spend the rest of the summer in WPB with Paley.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »

Unicorn, if you are willing:  tell us about your "next"...what do you keep nearby that we wouldn't have necessarily considered.  And you were going to list items/paraphernalia in order of usefulness.   

I go in for my femurs on Aug 25 with Dr. Paley.  I think that puts you about 2 months ahead of me

Thanks for all updates

Mark

Hi Mark,

Congrats for the commitment, it's a major one.  I've been radio silent as I suffered from another fracture, so 3 broken parts on 2 legs :( :( :(  Will tell the story in a different time as I'm recovering from the RAW pain.

This is the TO BUY list I've compiled as they really improved the quality of my life.  Then I'll also list what I am surrounded within easy reach.  Trust me, it's pure necessity that's furnished my bedside :)

I've listed below via Amazon as I get almost everything same day or next day.  Mandatory is for Guichet's treatment, so might be different for Paley :)

MANDATORY

DAYS Hi Riser Walking Frame £41.94
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ECIM5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adjustable Elbow Crutches

Deluxe Reusable Hot/Cold Gel Pack £9.99 - The long velcro wrap is sooooo useful!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G8JT6RK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PROBUS 2m Exercise Band - You’ll need a long one to stretch your hamstrings on your belly
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JGHTFL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LOCTITE Super Attack Brush-on Glue £4.15 - Guichet's wounds are all waterproof/tamper free
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008BGYBNC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TEGADERM Waterproof Bandage £18.63
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-Box-20/dp/B0009Q2OMW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470944577&sr=8-1&keywords=tegaderm

ANTI-EMBOLISM Compression Socks - Find the ones with open toes, more comfy when your toes can breathe!

HELPFUL

Digital Folding Pedal Exerciser £26.95 - Illegal according to Guichet! Hide! ;) but so practical!!!  No need to mount an exercise bike on 2 broken legs, just swing legs off bed and pedal away!  I exercise more than average because of the convenience, which keeps my blood pumping and soreness/aches away!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DSKUDB0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SANITAS Therapy Heat Pad £20.95 - it’s a miracle for your sore back, legs, shoulders, butt bone, tummy ache or even when you feel lonely, just hug it, it's very comforting
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001NJJH38/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OSSENBERG Neoprene Crutch Handle Pads £12.95 - You’ll be needing this soon enough
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F58FJ4I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

COMBI-REACHER £8.34 - Yes, you do drop everything and feel so useless! Just today I had to use a toothbrush to fish up my pee funnel from the floor, think about it, very sad existence.  Obviously toothbrush now RIP!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NRS-Healthcare-L61554-Combi-Reacher-Reaching/dp/B0076VM39W/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471470115&sr=8-1&keywords=pick+up+stick

RDX Gel Workout Gloves £14.74 - It’s ok, am not convinced, I sweat more than I like in these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XJ5A18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DISPOSABLE UNDERWEAR £9.41 - For men too as you’re swollen, nothing else fits, and this is airy/loose. Also, to remove, just cut it off! Yay!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Z562PA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AIDAPT Raised Toilet Seat £28.72 - Less strain not to have to lower yourself too much and seat is softer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NPNLN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Foam Bed Wedge £18.99 - Many uses especially in the beginning to drain blood/fluids from would downwards, and later when you're uncomfortable all over, for propping legs, leaning, multi purpose all over.  Lazy me even use it as a slide onto my foot bath or my peddler to minimize the impact on my bones:)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ESYI9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SUDOCREM £3.00 - For the inevitable diaper rash - it will happen!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OOTO1TE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HIGHLANDER Outdoor Seat £10.95 - Perfect to support your back when peddling
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WUJC5U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ROUND NECK TRAVEL PILLOW - Comes in really handy to relieve your neck from over compensation, anytime, anywhere, even for sleeping

PREMIER SPORTS Medically Approved Muscle Stimulator £56.96 - Can become necessity in my case to release pain or keep muscle from atrophy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ASEREVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PHYSIO Deep Tissue Massager £69.99 - When particular parts of legs hurt, or your shoulders and back, what a relief!  Sooooo powerful!  A bit heavy, but one of the best buys ever!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Lifestyles-Physio-Massager-Infrared/dp/B000WE1UIK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470946419&sr=8-1&keywords=deep+tissue+massager

PEE paraphernalia - Funnels, bottles, bedpans - when you’re in too much pain/dizzy to race to the toilet (ziplock bags are amazing).  Get disposable bedpans just in case, I promise you, when you need it, you need it!  Nothing else you can do!

Bananas + Manuka Honey - Easy great energy and pro-biotic staple - soothes your tummy and fuel boost, especially when you wake up in pain and need to take meds.  Tummy happier with a banana and honey

OTHER : Roll-on castor oil to massage your legs when sore, massage your liver to detox, dry shampoo, body wipes, anti-bacteria gel

EXTRA COMFORT

PREGNANCY PILLOW £24.50 - U-Shape Body Support Pillow
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00MKYXQAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HOMEDICS Heated Shiatsu Shoulder and Back Massager £106.96 - Slice of heaven!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HoMedics-Shiatsu-Shoulder-Massage-Technogel/dp/B00CV3TDBQ/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470943184&sr=8-4&keywords=homedics+shiatsu+massager

DRIVE MEDICAL Transit Chair £106 - Illegal according to Guichet! Hide! ;) but honestly helpful to use for trips to clinical tests etc.  Sometimes not wise to strain yourself unnecessarily!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GGFCILQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SCHOLLS FOOT BATH £82.25 - Sounds prissy but I promise you, there's nothing like dunking your sore legs/feet into hot bubbly water and massaging the bottom of your feet. It is reflexology after all! I usually wrap with warm fluffy towel and rub with argan/castor oil.  I have happy legs that let me sleep all night.  What a difference a little thing makes!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Scholls-Foot-Bath-Massage/dp/B00518MARW/ref=sr_1_15_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1471471025&sr=8-15&keywords=scholl+foot+bath
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 10:48:24 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2016, 11:00:32 AM »

BEDSIDE NECESSITIES
Not sorted by importance

01. Entertainment : laptop/kindle/stereo/books...
02. Medication/vitamins
03. Pill organiser (especially with 3 slots per day)
04. Clean spare towels/paper towels - lots of spills and accidents
05. Crystalized ginger candy - helps dispel nausea
06. Peddler cycler - great practical exerciser
07. Deep tissue muscle massager - great for calves, hamstrings, shoulder blades, triceps etc.
08. Lots of pillows (hard and soft) - you'll have different needs and different nests to build
09. Blankets (light/heavy) - variety, as your temperature changes all the time
10. Compex TENS/EMS muscle/nerve stimulator - can keep pain at bay or condition your muscles
11. Large power strip - you'll need ALL  ;D
12. Elastic exercise band - need to stretch all the time, no sitting on laurels here
13. Foam wedge - multi purpose, to raise legs higher than heart for max drainage and comfort back/leg supporter later on
14. Thermometer - for the first 2 weeks, important to check when feverish in case there's infection
15. Bottles of water - Hydrate well, I drink Dandelion Root tea to flush liver from chemical overdose
16. Prunes/pomegranates/Dulcolax - always handy for efficient garbage disposal
17. Bananas - excellent for tummy before popping pill, tummy doesn't get upset
18. Manuka honey - natural pro-biotic, put it in everything, will restore your flora & fauna in your gut
19. Back scratcher - really helpful when you're immobile but itchy
20. Anti-septic wipes
21. Antibiotic hand gel
22. Pee paraphernalia - funnel, bottles, ziplock bags and you're all set!
23. Disposal bedpans - you might never make it to the loo on time / pukeroo too
24. Fan - helpful when exercising in bed
25. Camping straw - I'm the world's laziest person, this 1 metre straw allows me to suck on liquid all day long and pretend it's shisha 8)
26. Dandelion root tea - I drink this instead of water as a natural liver flusher
27. Dry shampoo/brush/comb - when you need a perk me up, really refreshens your oily scalp ala Clairol orgasmic shampoo
28. Toothbrush / toothpaste - saves the jaunt to the loo again, keeping teeth healthy and gleaming the whole time
29. Hair accessories - even for men to tie hair, head band etc to keep cool when working out
30. Sleep mask/earplugs - to have badly needed uninterrupted sleep
31. Nail clipper/filer/manicure stuff
32. Dental floss - you feel better cleaner
33. Lotion/mosturizer - facial and body, not a time to neglect yourself, keep yourself massaged and oiled at all times
34. Roll-on castor oil - only oil that penetrates skin, I massage my leg/knees all day with it. Massage liver and add heat pad for toxin drainage
35. Ice packs/heat packs
36. Disposable underwear - so convenient, loose, light, airy and easy removal
37. Garbage bag - easy to access for daily disposal, you can't imagine how much waste you produce daily
38. Macadamia nuts - super high in omega 6, soothes tummy before meds or when low energy
39. A tray for meals - no need to be a barbarian
40. Donut pillow for ass - Butt and spine will hurt from continuous sitting, get a donut for some relief or roll on belly
41. Mosquito repellent or itch relief cream - only when you're immobile, everything starts to itch  ::) ::) ::)
42. Your favourite perfume - to keep your spirits up
43. Your favourite masks/cosmetics - no legs don't mean letting go, look nice for yourself :-*
44. Dry brush - dry brushing towards your heart encourages blood circulation especially when you're immobile
45. Hot water bottle - best for aching spine when heat pad doesn't cut it
46. Fluffy slippers - less presure on hard floor
47. Anti-thrombosis socks - get open toe ones, several clean pairs to encourage wearing
48. Travel neck pillow - so helpful to rest neck from overstrain
49. Dartboard with Guichet face to let off steam / Guichet voodoo doll works equally well
50. Ungrateful cat - helps entertain and distract
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:18:55 PM by Unicorn888 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44   Go Up