Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 252088 times)

dream_catcher

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:17 PM »

Some updates...

I've met up with Doc G a second time for another 1.5 hours where he described all the risks involved and I had to sign a million docs. 

His homework list which I've just completed (phew!) - all of it took about 2 weeks :
-  Blood tests (serology, coagulation, blood group, blood count, ESR, CRP, liver tests, CTX, Alc Phosphatases £180/NHS)
-  Pre-op cardiological ECG report (NHS)
-  Pre-op dental report (£60)
-  Bone densitometry (full body, hip and spine) £450
-  EOS 3D Body xray (anterior-posterior, lower limbs) £330
-  Psychiatric consultation (1hr) £350
-  Daily supplements of folic acid and ferrous sulphate
-  Motivation essay (yes!)
-  Surgery understanding questionnaire (where he asks me to lists all the possible complications/risks by each category like bone, venal, arterial, tendon, ligament, muscular, blood, possible infections, scarring, limping, amputation, septicaemia, bone grafting, non-consolidation...etc.  It was like studying for my driver's license albeit for a guaranteed car crash/hospitalisation/rehab!!!)
-  Daily 2hr personal training (1hr cardio, 1hr alternate upper body and lower body muscle training)
-  Daily practice usage of crutches £36

He has given me a list of pre and post-operative medication and supplements to purchase.  I'm also interviewing live-in nurses for a month post surgery to help, found possible 'special care' food catering and finally, handicap cab service to help me get to my daily rehab training.  I've ordered a hospital bed that's height adjustable, raised toilet seat with arms, sports shoes with easy velcro access, lots of anti-oxidant supplements and tons of movies/books on Kindle/laptop.  I'll note my full list of meds later :)

That's it for now!  In the meantime, I'm hanging out with his patients at the gym and learning first hand from them.  Everyone's alive and kicking (no pun intended of course  8)), and I'm really grateful to be training with his personal trainer Filippo, who is caring, babysits everyone, goes beyond his call of duty to solve ANY issues, and connects current and future patients together in a 'graduating class' so that we all learn and support each other.  I can see the motto, "Together, we stand taller..." :)

Am really happy with this setup, gives me something to look forward to everyday, PLUS I've shedded 5lbs and begun to have a rockin' body and buns o' steel  8)  Too bad, it's destined for Doc G for now.
You are so well prepared, Unicorn! I wish I had ordered a height-adjustable hospital bed. The mattress that I have is so soft and with one end elevated my sleeping was terrible. Good luck to your LL!

The View

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »

Yours is Sep?  Good, we can keep in touch :)  Training 2-3 hrs these days

I am meeting with Dr G this Wednesday to discuss dates and preparation. My flexibility needs to improve :/. What kind of training do you do for 2-3 hrs?

I can see you having quite a smooth procedure with how flexible you are  :D

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »

45mins : Cardio on bike, elliptical and treadmill
*1hr : LEG DAY : Leg curls, leg extension, leg press, glutes extension, adductor, abductor, toe curls at 85% of maximum strength
*1hr : ARM DAY : Tricep/bicep curls, tricep/bicep dips, shoulder/chest presses, pushups, sit ups at 85% of maximum strength
45mins : Deep stretching focused on quads and hamstrings

*Alternating days, in increasing sets from 3x8 to 5x20, and increasing weight to build up strength

I'm seeing Doc G on Wed too, maybe we'll bump into each other :)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 08:12:31 AM »

Here’s my complete list of supplements/meds from personal research (I'm not a doc, so pls use with caution.  I'm not advocating that you take all, as they might not be effective or clash with each other.  I'm just merely listing all the various helpful elements). 

Also, great article on bone healing : http://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf

PRE-SURGERY SUPPLEMENTS (60 days)
Ferrous sulfate 80mg x 60 days (1x morning)
Folic acid 5mg x 60 days (1x morning + 1x noon)

ANTI-OXIDANTS
Acai berry
Chia seeds
Flaxseed oil
Vitamin E 800-1200mg
Lycopene
Alpha lipoid acid - wound healing and nerve pain
Coenzyme Q10 <1200mg (mitochondria)

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Vitamin C 2000-4000mg
Omega 3 fatty acids (salmon oil)
Quercitin 1-3g
Proanthrocydins
Bromelain (pineapple)
Arnica root
Trypsin - absorb protein in blood

AMINO ACIDS
Lysine - calcium absorption and tissue regeneration
Arginine, proline, glycine, cystine, and glutamine

MINERALS
Zinc - wound healing, osteoporosis, muscle cramps
Copper
Calcium Hydroxyapetite + Vitamin D
Phosphorus
Silica

MORE VITAMINS
Vitamin K
Vitamin B6

PAINKILLERS
8hr release acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650mg every 4 hours
Codeine 30mg
Oxycodone
Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Lyrica
Tramadol 37mg

BLOOD THINNER
Heparin

RELAXANT
Diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam

TOPICAL APPLICATION
Alternate warm and cold compress
Diclofenac/ketoprofen gel
Methyl salicylate gel

CONSTIPATION
Prunes
Dulcolax

SLEEP AIDS
Anti-histamines : hydroxyzine, benadryl, chlorphenaramin
Ambien

LIVER CARE
Castor oil warm compress on liver
Dandelion root tea (2 litres daily)
Liver armour
Probiotics

OTHER
Bovine colostrum (wound healing)
Solcoseryl (wound healing)
Collagen
Non-denatured protein whey

OSTEOPOROSIS PREVENTION
Oestrogens
SERMS
Bisphosphonates (alendronate, risedronate, ibandronate, zoledronic acid)
Strontium ranelate
Chondroitin sulfate
Glucosamine

TO AVOID
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers (delays fracture healing):
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Indomethacin
Etodolac (Lodine)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:38:24 AM by Unicorn888 »

dream_catcher

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:46 AM »

Here’s my complete list of supplements/meds from personal research (I'm not a doc, so pls use with caution.  I'm not advocating that you take all, as they might not be effective or clash with each other.  I'm just merely listing all the various helpful elements). 

Also, great article on bone healing : http://www.betterbones.com/bonefracture/speedhealing.pdf

PRE-SURGERY SUPPLEMENTS (60 days)
Ferrous sulfate 80mg x 60 days (1x morning)
Folic acid 5mg x 60 days (1x morning + 1x noon)

ANTI-OXIDANTS
Acai berry
Chia seeds
Flaxseed oil
Vitamin E 800-1200mg
Lycopene
Alpha lipoid acid - wound healing and nerve pain
Coenzyme Q10 <1200mg (mitochondria)

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
Vitamin C 2000-4000mg
Omega 3 fatty acids (salmon oil)
Quercitin 1-3g
Proanthrocydins
Bromelain (pineapple)
Arnica root
Trypsin - absorb protein in blood

AMINO ACIDS
Lysine - calcium absorption and tissue regeneration
Arginine, proline, glycine, cystine, and glutamine

MINERALS
Zinc - wound healing, osteoporosis, muscle cramps
Copper
Calcium Hydroxyapetite + Vitamin D
Phosphorus
Silica

MORE VITAMINS
Vitamin K
Vitamin B6

PAINKILLERS
8hr release acetaminophen (Tylenol) 650mg every 4 hours
Codeine 30mg
Oxycodone
Oxycontin
Dilaudid
Lyrica
Tramadol 37mg

BLOOD THINNER
Heparin

RELAXANT
Diazepam, lorazepam, clonazepam

TOPICAL APPLICATION
Alternate warm and cold compress
Diclofenac/ketoprofen gel
Methyl salicylate gel

CONSTIPATION
Prunes
Dulcolax

SLEEP AIDS
Anti-histamines : hydroxyzine, benadryl, chlorphenaramin
Ambien

LIVER CARE
Castor oil warm compress on liver
Dandelion root tea (2 litres daily)
Liver armour
Probiotics

OTHER
Bovine colostrum (wound healing)
Solcoseryl (wound healing)
Collagen
Non-denatured protein whey

OSTEOPOROSIS PREVENTION
Oestrogens
SERMS
Bisphosphonates (alendronate, risedronate, ibandronate, zoledronic acid)
Strontium ranelate
Chondroitin sulfate
Glucosamine

TO AVOID
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory painkillers (delays fracture healing):
Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Indomethacin
Etodolac (Lodine)
Meloxicam (Mobic)
Nabumetone (Relafen)
Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn)

Dr.G actually prescribed aspirin for us to take twice a day since the 10th day after the surgery.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »

Dr.G actually prescribed aspirin for us to take twice a day since the 10th day after the surgery.

Makes sense, it's for blood thinning/anti-coagulant to prevent deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolism, right? 

I'm not a doc, but apparently low molecular weight heparin, fondaparinux/Arixtra (via injection) delays bone healing least compared to aspirin, warfarin or regular heparin.

I'll ask Doc G  :)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »

Did another set of Cybex tests today, achieved 35%, 45% and 54% more strength in my right leg which is the weaker one.  My left leg increased by only 7-22% strength.  But both legs are now evenly strong, which is the most important.  Finally, I made Doc G's 30% strength increase requirement!  ;D ;D ;D   Was told that if strength difference is significant btw both legs, higher risk of fracture.

Had to hound Doc G (1 email, 1 call, 3 text messages) to see him yesterday so that he can review all my test results and determine if I qualify for surgery.  Thankfully, I passed as a candidate with bone density, strength, flexibility, xray, blood coagulation rate etc etc etc etc.  Surgery date confirmed - 7am July 26th + 3 days' stay at hospital.  Really scared of spine injection for epidural and catheter... I'd rather pee all over myself for the first 3 days.  I'll ask Doc G in the operating theatre :o

For the next 11 days, I've been asked to learn how to climb and descend stairs and walk with crutches, with least pressure on legs.  Scary, I tried today and could not even go up one stair :'(  It's really hard! 

Worked doubly hard in the gym doing tricep dips and assorted arm strengtheners.  Will have to increase my max weight leg exercises twice over next week so that I'm in tip top condition.

Found a carer as well to stay at my flat for one month to take care of everything.

That's all for now!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:18:48 PM by Unicorn888 »

The View

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 10:15:38 PM »

Hey Unicorn

It was great to meet you. I can see you having less pain due to your ridiculous flexibility. How did you get your blood tests and ecg on the NHS?

I am going to start training with Fillipo soon, so see you around :)

Jessie Believer

• Visitor
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »

Hi unicorn,

thanks for shapring your diary!

What do you or Dr. G. mean by saying: "Was told that if strength difference is significant btw both legs, higher risk of fracture."

I mean there is a fracture, right ;)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 11:42:11 AM »

Hey Unicorn

It was great to meet you. I can see you having less pain due to your ridiculous flexibility. How did you get your blood tests and ecg on the NHS?

I am going to start training with Fillipo soon, so see you around :)

Yay!  See you at the gym!  You're lucky you have the strength already.  I really had my ass kicked but am so happy I passed the Cybex after only 10 days of training.  Very very very grateful.  Now, everyday cardio, muscles and most importantly, navigating with crutches esp up and down stairs.  Doc G told a patient to get off his ass and crutch through Oxford St (he was almost crying).

Yes, if you go to see your GP and tell him you need an orthopaedic surgery, and your surgeon needs bloodwork done, your GP can order it for you free of charge, same with ECG test.  So that shld save you a bunch of dough.  I didn't know before and did bloodwork at The Lister Hospital, it cost hundreds of pounds.

The only 2 NHS doesn't do is the Alc. Phosphates+Bone Isoenzyme and blood grouping.  I went to HCA Labs at 111 Harley St since same group as Princess Grace, so Doc G receives results automatically.  Cost £180 for both.

Ok, see ya!  Can't wait to get this over with.  The girl who did her surgery exactly 1 mth ago towers over me this week when last week she was way shorter (unreal freaky!  Pure admiration!).  It's amazing!  And the guy who did it at the same time as her finishes his clicking at 5cm tomorrow.  That's it!  He'll be off his crutches in 2 weeks!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 12:22:18 PM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 11:49:51 AM »

Hi unicorn,

thanks for shapring your diary!

What do you or Dr. G. mean by saying: "Was told that if strength difference is significant btw both legs, higher risk of fracture."

I mean there is a fracture, right ;)

Hi Jessie Believer,

Congrats to you!  He meant while Cybex is important to achieve 30% more strength, it's actually just as key that both legs are of equal strength as if there's a huge differential in strength, the risk of falling/accidents is higher.  Hence, might trigger further complications... like perhaps breaking an ankle if I fell off stairs or slipped on the street?

That happened to my brother as he hurt his knee where he had an ACL and needed another ACL again, and on the way to the hospital, he tripped and fell of 3 steps and broke his ankle on the same leg.  He said he unabashedly cried like a girl  :-* :'(

Jessie Believer

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2016, 12:14:44 PM »

Oh ok I understand. It's very interesting that dr Betz doesn't require even one single point dr g. does.

Looking forward to your next steps.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2016, 12:54:34 PM »

Oh ok I understand. It's very interesting that dr Betz doesn't require even one single point dr g. does.

Looking forward to your next steps.

As long as all docs get us to the same results safely :)

I noticed that Doc G doesn't commit dates to anyone until one meets all his requirements including essays!  And one has to keep hounding him for him to take notice as he's innundated by emails.  He showed me his pc, it had 900 unread emails from people he doesn't know.  So it's madness!  And he proceeds very slowly and carefully with the patients he knows and who has committed to his regime.

ortholengthening

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2016, 02:25:12 AM »

are you saying that there is an individual who had 5 cm of lengthening in only 1 month?

given it's femur and only 5 cm it should conservatively consolidate in 2 more months, maybe 3 months if slow... that would be 3-4 months in total for full consolidation from time of surgery, am i correct?

onemorefoot

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2016, 05:05:35 AM »

So 3 inches in femurs is good with internal nails, congratulations Unicorn888.
Budget will determine my future.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2016, 06:42:09 AM »

are you saying that there is an individual who had 5 cm of lengthening in only 1 month?

given it's femur and only 5 cm it should conservatively consolidate in 2 more months, maybe 3 months if slow... that would be 3-4 months in total for full consolidation from time of surgery, am i correct?

Yes, about 5 weeks now.  But I understand Doc G does about 10-12mm during the surgery.  Then after the first initial days of shock in the hospital, he expects about 1cm per week.

I think because it's full weight bearing nails, he seems to 'recover' faster.  I know he needs to be on crutches for 2 more weeks and after, expected to manage without.  Physio continues for 2 months after the clicking stops.

Again, this is what I'm observing and understanding right now.  I was also told that South Asians tend to consolidate faster, East Asians particularly slow :)

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:54 AM »

So 3 inches in femurs is good with internal nails, congratulations Unicorn888.

Congrats is far from reach yet :)  I'm hoping and aiming for 3" but if I get over 6cm I'm happy, and will proceed according to my body's ability...

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 10:19:40 AM »

I don't know anything about ratios and proportions.  Is anyone an expert?  My measurements (apparently done correctly by my physio therapist from hip bone to soft knee to mid ankle bone) currently are :

Thigh length : 48.5cm
Shin length : 34cm
Total leg length : 82.5cm
Inseam : 74cm
Sitting Height : 84cm
Wingspan : 161.5cm
Total Height : 158.5cm

Does anyone know what these numbers mean?  Whether I'm currently shorter or longer than usual in femur or tibia and how much I can lengthen without proportions going out of whack?  I might be a circus freak, but don't wanna look like a merry widow :'(

Thanks! 8)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:45:12 AM by Unicorn888 »

Auron

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2016, 02:37:54 PM »

I don't know anything about ratios and proportions.  Is anyone an expert?  My measurements (apparently done correctly by my physio therapist from hip bone to soft knee to mid ankle bone) currently are :

Thigh length : 48.5cm
Shin length : 34cm
Total leg length : 82.5cm
Inseam : 74cm
Sitting Height : 84cm
Wingspan : 161.5cm
Total Height : 158.5cm

Does anyone know what these numbers mean?  Whether I'm currently shorter or longer than usual in femur or tibia and how much I can lengthen without proportions going out of whack?  I might be a circus freak, but don't wanna look like a merry widow :'(

Thanks! 8)

Your wingspan usually matches your total height or surpasses it. Once you start lengthning your total height will surpass your winspan but don't worry,it won't be by much.

I'm looking at your inseam and sitting height and, if you're a girl, leg lengthning will definitely suit you. Let me tell you that women with long legs are very sexy, specially with long femurs. You may be LL to be taller and end up taller and with better proportions, that would be awesome  ;)

onemorefoot

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:20 PM »

I have one question, if you do 7 cm on femurs it would be 6.5 in reality due to inclination?

Auron

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »

I have one question, if you do 7 cm on femurs it would be 6.5 in reality due to inclination?
I think it depends from person to person.

onemorefoot

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2016, 02:49:56 PM »

Well, I would say that the average lost is .4 cm( is irrelevant).

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »

Your wingspan usually matches your total height or surpasses it. Once you start lengthning your total height will surpass your winspan but don't worry,it won't be by much.

I'm looking at your inseam and sitting height and, if you're a girl, leg lengthning will definitely suit you. Let me tell you that women with long legs are very sexy, specially with long femurs. You may be LL to be taller and end up taller and with better proportions, that would be awesome  ;)

Haha!  Thanks for the vote of confidence NoRegrets 8)  I saw this attractiveness chart and apparently women are perceived to be sexier when leg:height ratio is above 1:4 :)

YourSpaceBoyfriend

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:52 AM »

Are you sure about doing 7-8cm?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:36 AM »

Are you sure about doing 7-8cm?

No, not sure at all.  Have to see how my body handles...am happy from 6cm onwards ;D

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »

J-4 ???  Doc G just called, I'm being moved to Monday July 25th @ 2pm ??? ??? ???

Received my instruction manual from Doc G yesterday on how to take care of self post surgery with visual illustrations on racheting ???, stretching, exercising, nutrition, sleeping, medicating, wound care, showering etc.

Also subscribed to www.soulmatefood.com, 3 meals + 2 snacks daily, catered for high protein needs at £180/week.  That way, hopefully, I avoid stressing out about what to eat, nutritional needs, expense of delivery from restaurants with greasy unhealthy menus... will let you know if it's good!  Sample menus like cajun chicken, seabass green curry, avocado cocoa mousse etc.

Will continue working out to buff up abs, upper body and crutching (up/down stairs, in/out cars, up/down bed/seats).  Breakthrough 2 days ago, grasped the technique on stairs ;D - nothing to do with strength but crutch/arm angles and folding/lifting legs.  Was taught how to lock knees together to trigger full weight bearing and apparently, I can stand unaided.  Such a scary thought esp with 2 broken femurs :-[
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:25:55 PM by Unicorn888 »

CCMidwest

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »

You sound very prepared and organized. Looks like you've done everything possible to be ready!

Good luck to you.
5'7.5

aussieboy

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2016, 03:50:19 PM »

wow...very well-prepared. just don't take the supplements altogether at once. cycle them. eg, take set A on Monday, set B on Tuesday.. etc.. if you take them together, chance that body might get used to it and stop producing its own stuff. so have supplement-free rest days. I was on a supplemented regime but I healed the same as normal individuals, so I don't think the supplements actually help. or maybe cause I was taking NSAIDs.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2016, 06:19:13 PM »

wow...very well-prepared. just don't take the supplements altogether at once. cycle them. eg, take set A on Monday, set B on Tuesday.. etc.. if you take them together, chance that body might get used to it and stop producing its own stuff. so have supplement-free rest days. I was on a supplemented regime but I healed the same as normal individuals, so I don't think the supplements actually help. or maybe cause I was taking NSAIDs.

Yes, I agree :)   Have been taking what the doc prescribed pre-surgery, 2xFolic Acid + 1xFerrous Sulfate.  Started to detox liver today by drinking 2L of dandelion root tea + castor oil/heat pad on liver.

Can't exercise 48h before surgery, so tomorrow will be my last day at the gym.  PT will measure my max weight capability.

Doc G has a OneDrive excel sheet on share drive for me to fill in every activity, so that he can monitor in real time all my required exercises, clicks, medication and pain level.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »

You sound very prepared and organized. Looks like you've done everything possible to be ready!

Good luck to you.

Thanks CCMidWest.  Fingers crossed, really.  I'm a total geek gal :-*

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 07:41:21 AM »

Hi Dream_Catcher,

How are you doing?  I got to the bottom of all these blood thinners and aspirin.  It's because Doc G doesn't want the bone to fuse/heal too fast.  That makes absolutely sense.  He also prescribes Xaralto, in case fusion comes too soon.

So depending on how each of our bodies react to broken bones, it's either slow down healing or speed up healing :) :) :)

How's your rate of fusion?  Because I heard that the faster it fuses, the less clicks, the more painful, right?  It's counter intuitive... in the beginning, when it's fusing slowly, easier to click more and less pain.

Scaaaaaaaared..........!!!  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44   Go Up