Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 252190 times)

YellowSpike

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #930 on: April 26, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »

Very short women have their womanhood taken away too.  When you're treated like a little girl, rather than a woman, just because of some stupid inches,  you have your womanhood mortified. There are other very important aspect in a person societal interactions, other than getting laid. So, yes, it's worth the risk.

You keep saying "other than getting laid," which I'm sorry, I believe is a passive aggressive way of minimizing short mens' struggles. You really think it's just about men wanting to get laid? As I explained in an earlier post, it is so much more than that.

Maybe women have their womanhood taken away in the ways in which you describe, and I'm sorry if I minimized that. But at least you as women don't have the burden of having to "go out there, find a woman, spread your genes." Now I realize that we're in 2018, not everyone actually wants kids (male or female), and women can approach/hit on men too. Just the way women can be "players" just like men. But on a very primitive level, despite all the progress we as society have made, there is still this baseline expectation for a man to excel in many areas of his life so he can attract/get a woman to start a family with. And I believe most men still want this, no matter how they might try to hide it.

I'm not saying that nothing is expected of women in life. Quite the opposite. But at least as short women, while your lives may be negatively impacted (especially if you're a very short woman), you at least have workarounds (high heels, being called "cute" is still not as bad as the things short men will be called, you won't get constantly rejected by the opposite sxx so your self-esteem at least in that respect won't be as bad) and much better chances to find a life partner (not just "GETTING LAID"). Also, I know high heels are painful and suck for you guys, but at least you have a potential alternative that we don't have!

I never said that short women don't have struggles, just not on the same levels as short men, and honestly, you really can't refute this, and it's so much more than just getting laid as you said. I rest my case. We can always just agree to disagree.

Petite888

« Reply #931 on: May 07, 2018, 01:21:34 AM »

As far as stemcells go, Guichet had harvested marrow aspirate from my hip bones and injected them into my 9cm runaway non-union gap.  And no, it didn't work and the reason is because the gap is too far apart.  It was like pouring water onto a concrete ground hoping grass will sprout.  It might have worked on an 80-year old lady with a hip fracture or bone fissure.  But not on my whopping grand canyon.

That said, please becareful as an asian female, be conscious about curved femurs, use small nails 11mm, don't over ream, and lengthen slowly (again, it's not a race of who finishes first or with the most height).  And try to use a nail that's remote control instead of manual clicking as it will affect the QUALITY, trauma and pain management of your life tremendously and one that also can stop and reverse should there be slow/non-union.

Thank you for the advice which I shall be sure to heed. 

I admire your strength, courage and willingness to help other people.  If you ever need to go for a coffee and chat with someone who understands (a liittle of) what you have been through send me a pm.  I am only just an hour away from London and I would love to meet you. 

Chin up my dear and soldier on!.....it’s all we can do and you know you have this whole forum just willing you to get better right? 💕

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #932 on: May 21, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »

Hi everyone,

Small update, the calluses on my right leg are not a lot and my NHS doc has scheduled a bone graft surgery for June 7th.  Am quite depressed with the news as I had tried so hard to do everything in my power to grow bones.

She will graft me with DBX (cadaver bone chips), take a biopsy as well of the nonunion area and also, release my IT band on the left leg in the hopes that it can alleviate my chronic knee pain.  Hospitalization will be about 4 days to monitor infections.

As I had mentioned before, it's so ironic that the nonunion right leg poses 0 pain while the healed left leg is extremely painful to weight bear.  I'm back to crutches after seeing how my classmate's gnail snapped in half and she has to start another 1 year of healing process.  We had our surgery in July 2016 together, so we're both back to square one in June 2018.

I've doubled my antidepressants as there're days like today where I can't even will myself out of bed.

The other Guichet patient who had nonunion for several years had the same bonegraft right before christmas 2017, and his front and sides are now fully fused.  But his back remains bald.  He has lengthened to 7cm on both legs and it's going on 3-4 years now.

Our NHS doctor said she's doubtful my 9cm+ gap can be grafted successfully.  If it fails, she says she'll have to remove my gnail, shorten me and insert a trauma nail and graft again with my hip bones.

But she wants to try a less invasive procedure first.

I've given up on trying now, barely even brushing my teeth, showering, washing my hair, applying make-up, all the precious scar removal efforts - I feel like everything is in vain and how did my life go so wrong with one stupid vain decision? 

One moment, I was rich, retired and looking forward to the next chapter in my life.  And now, I'm dead broke, massively in debt, always in pain, suffering severe depression and am slowly giving up on everything.  I don't recognize myself sometimes.

I guess I have reached ACCEPTANCE.  I'm too tired to fight, let me lie down for a while and let life go by.

https://www.instagram.com/unicorn_gets_taller/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:30:26 AM by Unicorn888 »

Body Builder

« Reply #933 on: May 21, 2018, 12:01:31 PM »

Now its time to strike back Unicorn. Dont accept your current situation, even if bone graft dont succeed the next step, bone shortening etc will.
So I believe in one year you will get rid of Guichet's mistakes and continue your life normally.

Keep strong, its time for action now!

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #934 on: May 21, 2018, 02:20:13 PM »

Would it not be possible to get a surgery done to replace your nail and shorten your leg immediately? It will still be a height gain compared to your original height (correct?) and it will probably make your recovery faster, since your bone gap will be smaller?

Apart from that, there's not much I can say right now...I hope you will see better times soon.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #935 on: May 21, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »

Would it not be possible to get a surgery done to replace your nail and shorten your leg immediately? It will still be a height gain compared to your original height (correct?) and it will probably make your recovery faster, since your bone gap will be smaller?

Apart from that, there's not much I can say right now...I hope you will see better times soon.

Yes, it is possible to remove my gnail, shorten me and insert a trauma nail.  However, the risks are very high because I was inserted with a 13mm male nail, so currently, my femur bones are very very thin.  Any removal attempt right now might shatter my entire femur completely like what happened to the other girl when her gnail broke a month ago.

Secondly, shortening it turns out is actually quite complicated.  Apparently, doctors cannot really precisely shorten a person to a specific height, it's really just a rough guess.  And secondly, shortening apparently is extremely painful to the soft tissues.

Hence, that said, that's why NHS wanted to try the less invasive approach for now.  As she said to me the first time I met her, I'll be her patient for the LONG HAUL.

And I don't have any funds to do any private surgeries with Paley or Rozbruch etc, even if they had a miraculous solution.  I'm just EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to have the NHS system in the UK which is willing to pick up botched surgeries from private doctors.  In a lot of countries and even with my private medical insurance, I would have been abandoned if I run out of funds.

iwontallow

• Visitor
« Reply #936 on: May 21, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »

I'm sorry, Unicorn, It's time to fight. Keep strong and you'll be fine. Cases like yours and Musicmaker's prove this surgery can have a catastrophic impact on people's lives. Doctors and wannabe patients don't want to admit that. Reality should slap them in their faces. They really deserve that.
Banned:  multiple accounts (notatroll, Life, amigos)
and probably the troll Datum/LLuser1

cobalt

« Reply #937 on: May 21, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »

Do not give up on yourself. They at least have a plan outlined for you in case the bone graft doesn't work. Just take it one step at a time and one day you will get back to your former life. It may seem endless now but it is not over my dear. Hang on. Keep us updated.

Android

« Reply #938 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »

I'm just EXTREMELY GRATEFUL to have the NHS system in the UK which is willing to pick up botched surgeries from private doctors.  In a lot of countries and even with my private medical insurance, I would have been abandoned if I run out of funds.

No kidding, glad that there's a silver lining to your journey. Sending you best wishes.
5'4" and 1/4" (163.2 cm) | United States | early 30s | Cross-lengthening with Dr. Solomin & Dr. Kulesh

notatroll

« Reply #939 on: May 21, 2018, 10:44:42 PM »

So horrible. Are antidepressants helpful? How do you feel about the new surgery? When do you think you'll be OK?
Musicmaker's case is similar. Perhaps you can talk to her. She's online now. In her case she trusted Monegal but IMO Monegal didn't handle her case well. She had 10+ surgeries and piling up. Botched legs like Guichet... or worse. You're lucky to have NHS help. Wish you the very best. :-*

myloginacct

« Reply #940 on: May 21, 2018, 11:32:25 PM »

I was inserted with a 13mm male nail

my femur bones are very very thin.  Any removal attempt right now might shatter my entire femur completely

How the hell did he think this was good medical practice? I thought Western Europe was the more rigorous, restrictive older brother to the US/Canada.

Even if everything had gone smoothly, you'd still have to get the nails out at some point. Wouldn't the risk be the same, then, too?

LAGrowin

« Reply #941 on: May 22, 2018, 01:22:08 AM »

Now its time to strike back Unicorn. Dont accept your current situation, even if bone graft dont succeed the next step, bone shortening etc will.
So I believe in one year you will get rid of Guichet's mistakes and continue your life normally.

Keep strong, its time for action now!

X2 !!

Couldn't have said it better.  Time to rise once again and hit back. Easier said than done, but you have it in you.   

I wish you well and hope sincerely that this will work for you.  Blessings to you Unicorn.

Purushrottam

« Reply #942 on: May 22, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »

Good luck, Unicorn!
Had LL in Sept 2017 with Dr. Paley.
Starting height: 168.5 cm (5'6.5"); Ending height: 175 cm (5'9")
http://www.limblengtheningforum.com/index.php?topic=4823.0

fokid

« Reply #943 on: May 22, 2018, 05:12:52 AM »

i am sure guichet would still argue that he did the right thing by ramming in 13mm nails in her bones. narcissism or ignorance i do not know. it is hard to tell if a doctor is ignorant when you consult, but narcissism ("i am best", "i taught the other doctors", "my patients recover fastest") is a sure red flag.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #944 on: May 22, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »

i am sure guichet would still argue that he did the right thing by ramming in 13mm nails in her bones. narcissism or ignorance i do not know. it is hard to tell if a doctor is ignorant when you consult, but narcissism ("i am best", "i taught the other doctors", "my patients recover fastest") is a sure red flag.

In his re-edited medical notes, he stated that I was overweight, so needed a bigger nail for safety reasons.  I was 58kg before surgery.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #945 on: May 22, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »

How the hell did he think this was good medical practice? I thought Western Europe was the more rigorous, restrictive older brother to the US/Canada.

Even if everything had gone smoothly, you'd still have to get the nails out at some point. Wouldn't the risk be the same, then, too?

Correct.  So the further problem I'll have is, I need to remove his nails.  It's stainless steel and not titanium.  It means it can potentially be carcinogenic if left in the body for too long.  It has a higher rate of bacterial adhesion too.  That's why these days, most internal nails are all titanium so that you can leave it in the body forever.  In my case, I have to remove it at some point or suffer further damaging consequences.

And I know a few people now (who wrote me privately) who rebroke their femurs at nail removal.  So that is another risk all on it's own.  Hence, having strong bone consolidation is very important.  Some LL doctors actually remove nails even before full consolidation (ie. 2 out of 3 sides) and claim that it's safe enough.

So, it's important to always double check what your doctor is recommending.  Sometimes, they just want to perform surgeries even when not ready or unnecessary.  It's like harvesting my marrow extract to inject into my 9cm runaway gap.  That was completely unnecessary because no marrow can graft such a big nonunion area.   But I believed everything.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #946 on: May 22, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »

So horrible. Are antidepressants helpful? How do you feel about the new surgery? When do you think you'll be OK?
Musicmaker's case is similar. Perhaps you can talk to her. She's online now. In her case she trusted Monegal but IMO Monegal didn't handle her case well. She had 10+ surgeries and piling up. Botched legs like Guichet... or worse. You're lucky to have NHS help. Wish you the very best. :-*

I don't have a choice regarding the anti-depressants because I cry for no reason, don't have desire for anything and don't feel like I have a future.  So the NHS therapists prescribed anti-depressants and also Diazepam when I have panic attacks. 

So, for example, when I found out I'll have my 4th surgery on June 7th, I had a mini panic / anxiety attack yesterday because it brought back all the post-op trauma from the last surgeries.  The fear of being wheeled into the operating theatre, the trepidation when they start asking you to count backwards... I was shivering and crying the last time.  I didn't have the courage to undergo surgery, but yet, there I was seconds away from unconsciousness.

And what's scary is this time around, I only look forward to one thing...  the few seconds when the cool liquid of the general anaesthesia mixture courses through my veins, and the relaxants give me complete tranquility before I drift off to sleep...  that peaceful bliss, I wish I could have that feeling everyday; to zone out when life gets too hard to face. 

I guess that's why we're seeing opioid addictions at an epidemic proportion today.

sunflower

• Visitor
« Reply #947 on: May 22, 2018, 07:16:53 PM »

Im so sorry to hear about all thats happened to you Unicorn.

Im sure the NHS will do their absolute best to resolve your issues.

Has Dr Guichet been stopped from operating and have the GMC been informed?

myloginacct

« Reply #948 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:10 PM »

Unicorn... if it's not too much, I wanted to ask your personal opinion. I don't recall seeing it asked here before.

When do you think this surgery (CLL) is legitimate? If that question makes any sense to you.

I don't mind it if you'd rather not answer too. Thank you for your all time here.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #949 on: May 26, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »

Unicorn... if it's not too much, I wanted to ask your personal opinion. I don't recall seeing it asked here before.

When do you think this surgery (CLL) is legitimate? If that question makes any sense to you.

I don't mind it if you'd rather not answer too. Thank you for your all time here.

After being a patient of the NHS (free public hospitals) in the UK, I realize that limb lengthening has been around for some time.  It was primarily used for trauma/accidents/deformities when one limb is shorter than the other.  Doctors use the Illizarov method (external frames) to lengthen the femur/tibia and even arms.

So, in the UK for example, the RNOH (Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital) even has a guide to limb lengthening using Precice, which primarily instructs patients not to lengthen more than 1mm per day (https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/our-services/limb-reconstruction).  So now that I'm a patient there, I realize a lot of people do undergo limb lengthening, just not voluntarily or for cosmetic reasons like we do.

At the same time, if one has been plagued psychologically with short stature neurosis, the NHS and certain medical insurance companies actually approve and pay for cosmetic limb lengthening surgery.  Yes!  I never realized that too!  And many of us would have qualified seeing that short stature is something that would have affected us since our teenage years and would continue to do so for the rest of our lives.  It probably does determine a substantial part of our destiny too.  And hence, we find ourselves in this forum together.

So the only thing I can reply is, it has always been legitimate with the right doctor and monitoring.  I think it helps to follow organizations like the NHS which has nothing to gain by its choices of methods.  They use Precice because not only is it FDA approved but also because it causes less mental anguish/trauma (of clicking/racheting), even if not fully weight bearing until Stryde comes out.

At the end of the day, when you think about the argument that you need to bear weight on your bones for it to fuse or grow, it doesn't make much sense.  Anyone who's ever broken a bone knows that even if you had it in a cast and you're hanging there helplessly in a hospital bed for 2-3 months, your bones would still fuse and heal up.  So the weight bearing part is not a necessity for bone consolidation but a practical optionality for many of us to continue on with our lives including returning back to work.

And while full weight bearing is practical, it actually puts us at a higher risk of accidents/falling etc., which happened to many of my classmates and myself inevitably just because we're crutching/framing/climbing into taxis/up & down stairs/streets to physios, tests and other unnecessary activities on a daily basis without the safety of a wheelchair to lean on when fatigued/chaotic.

So, is it legitimate?  Yes, it has been for a long time.  You just want to know what to look out for, monitor your own progress closely and be accountable for yourself. 
NHS/RNOH showed me how their lengthening process is usually monitored :

• Many doctors prefer to wait 1-2 weeks post osteotomy/initial surgery before starting to lengthen
  • Be cautious and do not rush (it's not a race!)
  • Lengthen less than 1mm per day
  • Depending on gender and age of patient (and smoking habit), they choose internal or external methods (Internal methods require reaming of your bones, so healing could be slower)
  • Then, bi-weekly xrays need to show callus bridging and the lengthening rate thus changes depending on how fast or slow the bone consolidation is
  • Use a nail that can stop and/or reverse in case of non-union/runaway lengthening
  • And they do not allow too much lengthening if the soft tissues cannot keep up (like IT band, psoas, hamstrings and quads etc). because recovery to normal walking gait might take forever or further surgeries would be required

Does this answer your 'legitimate' question?  My view is all cosmetic doctors are out to maximize profit especially those who manufacture their own brand of nails because they have the biggest profit margin to gain.  Hence, becareful of this conflict of interest, which is not 'legitimate' or legal in most countries.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:54:37 PM by Unicorn888 »

zakika

« Reply #950 on: May 26, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »

Very informative, and well based opinion, thank you!
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

Shadow91

« Reply #951 on: May 26, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »

Thank you Unicorn, thank you for everything you have done for us all in this forum. Despite the trauma you have been through you still get back to us with new vital information. Thank you!

myloginacct

« Reply #952 on: May 26, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »

After being a patient of the NHS (free public hospitals) in the UK, I realize that limb lengthening has been around for some time.  It was primarily used for trauma/accidents/deformities when one limb is shorter than the other.  Doctors use the Illizarov method (external frames) to lengthen the femur/tibia and even arms.

So, in the UK for example, the RNOH (Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital) even has a guide to limb lengthening using Precice, which primarily instructs patients not to lengthen more than 1mm per day (https://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/our-services/limb-reconstruction).  So now that I'm a patient there, I realize a lot of people do undergo limb lengthening, just not voluntarily or for cosmetic reasons like we do.

At the same time, if one has been plagued psychologically with short stature neurosis, the NHS and certain medical insurance companies actually approve and pay for cosmetic limb lengthening surgery.  Yes!  I never realized that too!  And many of us would have qualified seeing that short stature is something that would have affected us since our teenage years and would continue to do so for the rest of our lives.  It probably does determine a substantial part of our destiny too.  And hence, we find ourselves in this forum together.

So the only thing I can reply is, it has always been legitimate with the right doctor and monitoring.  I think it helps to follow organizations like the NHS which has nothing to gain by its choices of methods.  They use Precice because not only is it FDA approved but also because it causes less mental anguish/trauma (of clicking/racheting), even if not fully weight bearing until Stryde comes out.

At the end of the day, when you think about the argument that you need to bear weight on your bones for it to fuse or grow, it doesn't make much sense.  Anyone who's ever broken a bone knows that even if you had it in a cast and you're hanging there helplessly in a hospital bed for 2-3 months, your bones would still fuse and heal up.  So the weight bearing part is not a necessity for bone consolidation but a practical optionality for many of us to continue on with our lives including returning back to work.

And while full weight bearing is practical, it actually puts us at a higher risk of accidents/falling etc., which happened to many of my classmates and myself inevitably just because we're crutching/framing/climbing into taxis/up & down stairs/streets to physios, tests and other unnecessary activities on a daily basis without the safety of a wheelchair to lean on when fatigued/chaotic.

So, is it legitimate?  Yes, it has been for a long time.  You just want to know what to look out for, monitor your own progress closely and be accountable for yourself. 
NHS/RNOH showed me how their lengthening process is usually monitored :

• Many doctors prefer to wait 1-2 weeks post osteotomy/initial surgery before starting to lengthen
  • Be cautious and do not rush (it's not a race!)
  • Lengthen less than 1mm per day
  • Depending on gender and age of patient (and smoking habit), they choose internal or external methods (Internal methods require reaming of your bones, so healing could be slower)
  • Then, bi-weekly xrays need to show callus bridging and the lengthening rate thus changes depending on how fast or slow the bone consolidation is
  • Use a nail that can stop and/or reverse in case of non-union/runaway lengthening
  • And they do not allow too much lengthening if the soft tissues cannot keep up (like IT band, psoas, hamstrings and quads etc). because recovery to normal walking gait might take forever or further surgeries would be required

Thank you very much, Unicorn. That is indeed a fantastic reply. Thank you.

I was aware about the deformity and discrepancy correction aspect of LL. I know that due to LL, parents now have a choice of attempting that route rather simply having to amputate their baby's leg, in case they are born with fibular hemimelia. I know Paley treats case like those in his institute. I think prospective CLL candidates should stick with centers/doctors that work mainly with deformity and discrepancy correction, and do CLL on the side. It is very suspect — to me — when CLL seems to be the main area of interest of an orthopedic surgeon.

Quote from: On Fibular Hemimelia
In humans, the disorder can be noted by ultrasound in utero to prepare for amputation after birth or complex bone lengthening surgery. The amputation usually takes place at six months with removal of portions of the legs to prepare them for prosthetic use. The other treatments which include repeated corrective osteotomies and leg-lengthening surgery (Ilizarov apparatus) are costly and associated with residual deformity.

I've also heard doctors prefer doing limb shortening when limb discrepancies are small, but I am yet to confirm this with a professional of the area.

There are apparently emerging new routes for LL, grafting, and correction too. More on it.

Quote from: Unicorn
Does this answer your 'legitimate' question?  My view is all cosmetic doctors are out to maximize profit especially those who manufacture their own brand of nails because they have the biggest profit margin to gain.  Hence, becareful of this conflict of interest, which is not 'legitimate' or legal in most countries.

Sad but true, even in the case of some of the best out there.

iwontallow

• Visitor
« Reply #953 on: May 26, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »

Thank you very much for being so brave. People need to know that LL is complicated and there a lots of risks. You and Musicmaker are a good example of how things can go wrong. These surgeons should lse their license.
Good luck
Banned:  multiple accounts (notatroll, Life, amigos)
and probably the troll Datum/LLuser1

zakika

« Reply #954 on: May 26, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »

Most ortophedic surgeons do mainly reconstructive indication interventions (Paley is a clear exception, however despite his sales attitude he seems to be genuine in CLL, even Pili, however about Guichet I don't know too much), usually the number of CLL's is quite small (as eg. Birkholtz is doing 4-5 yearly, however he's been there for a while), and there is a healthy ratio between cosmetic-reconstructive indications (for instance in plastic-reconstructive surgery it is a professional status quo, that normally it has to be not higher than 1/3 - 2/3, but as we know the evolution of it lead to completely different direction). I still think in ortophedic surgeries the key is the initial assessment of each case (psych, physical), and the desire of the patient (how much exactly would someone to lengthen) comes second (the biology of the body determines everything, like it or not), plus the most advanced/secure method available. I'm manly talking about western medical field (Europe, US).
171 cm - TSF-tibia (5cm)+Stryde femur (5-6 cm) Giotikas - aim 180-182 cm

IwannaBeTaller

« Reply #955 on: May 26, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »

The NHS and insurances will cover LL for psychological reasons? Does anyone have more information on that? I can imagine only people who are objectively very short (something like the bottom 5th percentile of height) will receive that privilege.
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind
It's a long way to find peace of mind, peace of mind.

myloginacc

« Reply #956 on: May 31, 2018, 12:59:30 AM »

Quote from: lostwing1993
they dont use internal fixation ,first our government dont allow,second they did some internal fixation,find chinese bone size is not  suitable.

Some interesting words from the new diary by Chinese user lostwing1993.

People with thinner bones need to be made more aware they're a riskier group for internals (possibly also externals - I'd have to confirm this with a CLL doctor that can be trusted). The doctors never seem to tell you that. Instead, some of them only seem to try to drag you into doing the surgery.
Formerly myloginacct; had issues with my login account.
Yes I do want to add, before doing this surgery, ask yourself if you have optimized your life to the fullest extent possible (job/career, personality, etc).

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #957 on: May 31, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »

Some interesting words from the new diary by Chinese user lostwing1993.

People with thinner bones need to be made more aware they're a riskier group for internals (possibly also externals - I'd have to confirm this with a CLL doctor that can be trusted). The doctors never seem to tell you that. Instead, some of them only seem to try to drag you into doing the surgery.

CLL docs rarely turn away a potential client.  For East Asian/Chinese lengthening especially female ones, here're what I learnt (fact or fallacy) :

1)  Femurs tend to be more curved (that's why companies like Precice have a range of internal nails w different curvature)

2)  Bone consolidation in East Asians tend to be slower (compared to South Asians for example)

3)  When an internal method is chosen, bones might consolidate much slower due to the reaming process which makes an already small bone even thinner and thus, a higher risk of fracture due to thin cortices

4)  The appropriate diameter size of nail should be inserted (for example, Precice's largest nail is only 12.5mm) whereas we were all given 13mm

5)  Precice nails also come in antegrade and retrograde whereas our g-nail was only available in one direction, hence, could be a root cause of my valgus/knock knees
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:39:23 AM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #958 on: June 11, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »

Hi everyone,

Writing from the hospital bed.  Was admitted on Wednesday 7pm and was given a 2-hour heads up.  Don't even want to think what a 'free bed' entails, someone flatlining or happily discharged?

Checked-in, was shocked by how posh the ward is.  I have a private room, private bathroom, 24/7 room service menu, air-conditioning, cable tv, balcony, sparkling water, gourmet coffee and even a sofa bed for friends who are entitled to meals too.

Was extremely nervous the next morning at 6am when they asked me to shower with Hibi Scrub.  I spoke with the surgeon 3 times before we finally prepared for the operating theatre.  She wanted to release both IT bands, do a bone graft with DBX on my right leg, take a biopsy of the non-union area AND wanted to lengthen/release my psoas and hamstrings.  I vehemently didn't want cuts on my hip areas and my hamstrings because I know my recovery will take so much longer.  Imagine, I wouldn't even be able to sit up in bed if both hips were cut.

Right before surgery, the surgeon came in with a panel of doctors because apparently, I'm an 'interesting case' of ALL THE THINGS that can go wrong with CLL.  So my operating theatre was like an auditorium and I swear I caught a whiff of buttered popcorn.  All my xrays were up on the walls and I was trying to explain to these doctors that I didn't want to cut my hips and hamstrings because my lordosis can be slowly stretched out.  And if I take too long to recover from the additional cuts, I would lose 2 years of conditioning, stamina, flexibility and pain tolerance.

Anyway, boom, under general anaesthesia and I was told later that they bent me in all directions and discovered that I had a sac of fluid in my left knee.  That got drained and was probably the cause of my chronic knee pain.  They then released the IT bands on both sides which allow both my legs to stay together.

I woke up around 5pm and was in quite a lot of pain.  I think half of my suffering was due to the sheer trauma and PTSD of undergoing my 4th surgery.  After that, everyday just blended into each other, eat, wash, PT, I crutch a lot around the hospital and have a ton of medical students/doctors who come to interview me about how I ended up a monster.

Apparently, I won't know if the bone graft will be successful for another 2 months.  In the meantime, I'm put on some rigorous stretching exercises to correct my lordosis and valgus.  The surgeon is pessimistic that the bone graft will work, all of them agree that they could see the nail and nothing has grown.  So they think I'll be back for a 5th surgery where they'll remove my g-nail and insert a pre-lengthened Precice Unyte at 8cm.  They'll slowly shorten me until my calluses join and then lengthen me back to match the 8cm on my left leg.  And hopefully, the extra 2cm of flesh will slowly tighten back.

I found Kings College/NHS to be so different from my previous private Princess Grace Hospital experience.  Guichet was constantly trying to get us to leave the hospital ASAP whereas here, they want to keep for at least 2-4 weeks to monitor any potential bone infection.  I'm also given proper painkillers like morphine instead of just a paracetamol drip.  Also, at Princess Grace, they left me for 4 days without showering/cleaning me whereas even though I was quite hopeless here during the first few days, they came and wiped me down entirely with soap and warm water every morning. 

Even the pee situation is different.  At King's College, everytime I pee into a funnel, they'll check my bedsheets and they'll change my entire bed whereas at Princess Grace, they simply put an incontinence diaper on the bed and told me that I can pee as much as I wanted on it because it will absorb everything (right!).  And I woke up marinating in a pool of urine with a very itchy butt rash.

I was told by all the patients that, it's really hard to get a bed at NHS and that, while it's free, one has to contend with the waitlist.  I had to wait about 6 months before I got a surgery date.  However, because they're non-profit, they don't cut corners.  Whereas my experience with Princess Grace and Guichet have been the complete opposite.  Everything was calculated to the 9th degree, was disorganized and we risked and suffered a lot because we had to catch taxis, and frame hop to the gym everyday and all the various test centres which are strewn all over London.

Here, the PT comes to work out with you, the nurses come to you to collect urine/blood samples, I'm wheeled to the xrays/CT Scans/MRIs, my dressings are checked and changed daily etc.  There is no unnecessary stress and cost.  I really wish I had this experience before.  No wonder I was sooooo petrified to go under the knife.  What I endured before was cruel and inhumane.  And now, my hospital experience couldn't be more different and best of all, it's free.  For this, I am eternally grateful.

HIDING UNDER SHEETS BEFORE SURGERY

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 05:04:02 PM by Unicorn888 »

doomsday

« Reply #959 on: June 11, 2018, 05:00:32 PM »

I bet they will put you together sooner on later just hang on and stay positive! Modern medicine is absolutely miracle so stay strong and keep listening to them ;)

Great321

« Reply #960 on: June 11, 2018, 05:01:48 PM »

very good to hear about the improvement!
I'm sure they can help you!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 44   Go Up