Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016  (Read 251813 times)

google42

Re: UNICORN - Dr. Guichet Internal Femurs 8cm - Summer 2016
« Reply #434 on: April 03, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »

When people don't answer it's usually a bad sign

This is worrying. :-\

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #435 on: April 09, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »

Do not worry guys. She'll make a miraculous recovery, I'm sure of it  :)
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #436 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:03 PM »

Hi everyone,

Guichet finally contacted me last week to schedule 3rd surgery for April 18th in MILAN.  I don't have a choice but to go there to be operated.  Of course, he asked for his £9k fees (even though technically the Euro is less than GBP but you will always be paying the higher of...). 

And he has not refunded me any of my first surgery deposit and for my second surgery, where he said he was not going to make a profit, I found out I was being overcharged by £4k and even then, Guichet tells me that the hospital made a mistake in their fees and the receipts I had obtained showing hospital fees + anaesthetic fees totalling only <£3k are wrong, but without further supporting documentation.  He told me on the phone that I may get my refunds back if I so wish, after I make the 3rd surgery payment (!).  I wrote it back to him and asked him to confirm that in writing.  He has chosen to ignore my message.

Better still, I get a phone call from the London hospital chasing me for unpaid hospital bills from my second surgery which I had already fully paid Guichet.  I really lost it on the phone with them because I CANNOT be on the losing end on all sides.  Shame on him if he stiffed the hospital after exacting so much from me.  I told them to get lost and if they dare call me again, I'll set my lawyers on them.

I'm officially depressed.  I take a very dim view of life currently, I hobble around like a monster and I see the worst in people.  I seldom laugh and I do really hate my life and myself right now for this very horrible mistake.  I was not even ugly before, I don't know why I had to be so spontaneous and stupid.  The great irony is I have been wearing the same dowdy pair of shorts and nasty t-shirt since July 2016, and had to put on a dress which was too long before and guess what?  I would have liked to tell you that I now look like a supermodel in it - unfortunately, the dress didn't fit me anymore because...  I gained weight.  Yes, the lack of activity in these last months since my lengthened femur has not fused meant that I could not put too much strain on it lest god forbid, it fractures and I lose all the lengthened height on my right leg as well.  So it's a very delicate half assed guesswork balance of putting enough weight on it to encourage bone growth but not too much that I fracture the pin.  Trust me, NOBODY is guiding or helping me.  If I fracture my right leg, it will be my fault because I wasn't "careful" enough and if I don't fuse, Guichet tells me I've not been active enough.  I lose on all ends.

I spent the last one month moving out of my old house = 80 boxes, and moving into a new one I recently purchased with renovation works delayed.  So I'm sitting on gardening chairs with no furniture, covered in dust and no hot water.  It's been a very very stressful time for me and my face tells it all. 

My friends and family are starting to get very suspicious since I'm still in crutches after 9+ months and one of my good friends secretly told my brother that she suspects that I had leg lengthening surgery.  He confronted me very angrily and I had to lie.  The look on his face, he wouldn't understand and would have lost all respect for me.  I keep denying it to everyone because I have lost so much self esteem and credibility amongst my close circle.  People are starting to make snap judgements about my decisions - based on the fact that I seem to be at fault for making this very big erroneous judgement (and they don't even know it's for limb lengthening - they think I've made the wrong decision to go rock climbing or even choosing the wrong doctor to treat me!...  Imagine if they actually knew the truth!).  One of my friends called me a cripple by accident, and it cut me deep.  I think I'm definitely ultra sensitive and more paranoid than usual.  Or perhaps, cripples do get discriminated and we have never been in their shoes.  Until now. 

How did I go from the Harvard grad, retired investment banker who had lived in the US, France, Italy, Russia, speaking 7 languages to this... 42, single, no romantic or job prospects, social phobia, can't fit into my clothes and can't even walk without panting hard and sticking out my tongue to concentrate with each monstrous movement.  The one thing many don't tell you about this procedure is, while you're struggling to walk, your body balance is off and you're prone to pulling and hurting your back, knees, neck etc... some days, I've to lie in bed without moving because I pulled some nerve somewhere and it immobilizes me completely.  And this is when I really resent myself.  I do understand why and how some people get very angry and grumpy when they're sick - it's because they're mostly angry with themselves, not the world.  Themselves.  Self hatred goes a very long way.

So these days, I cry at the smallest trigger, I'm on anti-depressants and I actually try not to have contact with anyone.  I don't want to be hurt any more than I have endured and the slightest things do affect me.  That's what the therapist calls depression.  She says it's curable and with proper meds, I will one day get out of this rut.  I told you before, I've become an uglier person inside.

Took another set of xrays today and my right leg shows slightly longer calluses but definitely no consolidation.  I've also done the accounting of how much I've spent since deciding on this surgery and the tally is close to £100k now.  Basically, whatever you need to spend on your 2-3 month surgery period has been multiplied many times over since I needed triple the amount of help, xrays, meds, sessions, transportation, delivered foods etc. on London prices.  The bills keep piling up and I'm definitely not made of money.  A tip for those of you planning to do this surgery, check if your country offers cosmetic surgery insurance that would cover limb lengthening - you'll be very glad you took out a policy, trust me.  It didn't exist in the UK for me, but some patients I've been in touch with in other European countries took out policies and they're thanking their lucky stars they did when complications set in.

That's about it for now.  Thanks Fujitora for sharing your experience, it really touched me.  Courage to you.  I really don't mind if I never woke up during the April 18th surgery.  The point is, I was doing this to realize a dream, but it has definitely robbed me of my soul.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:49:24 PM by Unicorn888 »

onemorefoot

« Reply #437 on: April 11, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »

I dont understand why being a woman is dangerous for femur surgery. Somebody with medical knowledge please explain. So hard to read that, I really Hope you can go out of that darkness. Is difficult to believe in god when you are in hell, but you Will be fine, your complication is serious but can be solved.
Budget will determine my future.

jbc

« Reply #438 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:25 PM »

Hi Unicorn,

I am so very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I cannot say I know what you're going through, because I don't. I do know that there is an end in sight for all of this, and while you have gone through so so much, this too shall pass. In the end, you will heal, you will reach your desired height, and the weight will come off. Those are facts.

Keep your spirits up. You have my email address, I'm happy to lend a sympathetic ear anytime. You are incredibly strong-willed and determined. Look at all you've gone through, and you're still here. I have every confidence that you'll make it.

A though to consider: I realize that this may be more expensive, but have you considered performing the corrective surgery with either Dr. Paley or Dr. Rozbruch? At the very least, a second opinion may not hurt, and could very well help.

All my best,

-jbc

TIBIKE200

« Reply #439 on: April 11, 2017, 09:24:40 PM »

Hi Unicorn,

I am so very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I cannot say I know what you're going through, because I don't. I do know that there is an end in sight for all of this, and while you have gone through so so much, this too shall pass. In the end, you will heal, you will reach your desired height, and the weight will come off. Those are facts.

Keep your spirits up. You have my email address, I'm happy to lend a sympathetic ear anytime. You are incredibly strong-willed and determined. Look at all you've gone through, and you're still here. I have every confidence that you'll make it.

A though to consider: I realize that this may be more expensive, but have you considered performing the corrective surgery with either Dr. Paley or Dr. Rozbruch? At the very least, a second opinion may not hurt, and could very well help.

All my best,

-jbc

I agree with jbc that you should contact them or atleast contact an expert of LL in London
I learned some stuff during this time

LLSouthAmerica

« Reply #440 on: April 11, 2017, 10:26:51 PM »

We await you in Milan with open arms for this (your final push). I promise you won't be alone in this as long as I'm here.
Went from 164 to 170 cm
Former Guichet nail patient

doomsday

« Reply #441 on: April 11, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »

I totally don't understand why you're sticking with Guichet. From what you wrote it seems like the guy decided to make some big money on CLL and forgot he is still a doctor and ethics still apply to him. That part about him not providing a written confirmation of what he said reminded me about my doc who did similar thing. Everything verbal and then fees kept pilling up and also messed up legs.
Unlike you I was actually smart enough and change my doctor immediately when I came back to the UK.

This is important.The Guichet nail as well as Betz nail  are   crap  Albizzia, doctors around the world dropped it because it was crap but cheap, cheaper than ISKD. They modified it, but it is still crap. The only reason why they still use it, is because its very very cheap so they will charge you £50K and make profit.  The nail itself is not more than £10K.

If I was you I would tell him to get lost and speak to Birkholtz. Precise 2 is much better and the doc got nothing to hide since he is very active in this forum.

BTW anyone though why Guichet had to leave France? :D

The Kaiser

« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2017, 12:18:24 AM »

I totally don't understand why you're sticking with Guichet. From what you wrote it seems like the guy decided to make some big money on CLL and forgot he is still a doctor and ethics still apply to him. That part about him not providing a written confirmation of what he said reminded me about my doc who did similar thing. Everything verbal and then fees kept pilling up and also messed up legs.
Unlike you I was actually smart enough and change my doctor immediately when I came back to the UK.

This is important.The Guichet nail as well as Betz nail  are   crap  Albizzia, doctors around the world dropped it because it was crap but cheap, cheaper than ISKD. They modified it, but it is still crap. The only reason why they still use it, is because its very very cheap so they will charge you £50K and make profit.  The nail itself is not more than £10K.

If I was you I would tell him to get lost and speak to Birkholtz. Precise 2 is much better and the doc got nothing to hide since he is very active in this forum.

BTW anyone though why Guichet had to leave France? :D

Its not crap at all, it support full weigh barring and a great recovery. The problem here is why Guichet delayed the surgery that much, it suppose to be done long time ago. Precice technically better organized but take much longer to walk normally because its not supporting full weight barring. We feel sorry for this Unicorn, Can someone write whats exactly going wrong with her beside delayed surgery, i want to understand her case.

onemorefoot

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »

Precice Will allow 200 lbs in some time along with Synoste,that Will be the perfect nail.

doomsday

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2017, 01:04:07 AM »

Im sure precise can easily handle 200 lbs, its been said many times that is not about the nail itself but screws, also they are afraid of a lawsuit so  they rather be safe than sorry.

onemorefoot

« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2017, 01:14:57 AM »

Can be, but oficially the cobalt nail can take 200 lbs.

Body Builder

« Reply #446 on: April 12, 2017, 01:57:04 AM »

Guichet prover for another time how unethical, overestimated and hungry for money he is.
And we still have trolls who keep mentioning how bad Monegal is but they don't say a word about all these bs this doctor made to this woman.
Nevermind, I think that after this diary a lot of people will understand how bad is Guichet as a choice for LL.

Unicorn do yourself a favor and go away from this doctor. There are way more capable, cheaper and with morals doctors out there who could help you.
Don't lose your faith, after all your condition is reversible by a good doctor, as I wrote to you again.
Stay strong!

MOOZE

• Visitor
« Reply #447 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:27 AM »

Unicorn, i have followed your diary from the start, and i really hope everything works out for you. You seem to have such a decent and positive attitude so forge ahead and you'll come out the other side of this fine :)

I wouldn't travel to Europe because it's too far away, but even if i was locally based i have to say after reading this diary i'd be pretty wary about dealing with this guy just from some of the things i've read, even if he is a highly skilled surgeon.

This is still pretty major surgery, even though it's planned trauma, and i'd want to put my health in the hands of someone who i think has my best interests at heart no matter if they're making money off the procedure or not. The same as any patient would hope for when dealing with a cosmetic surgeon.
The doctor / patient relationship is very important to most people and a lack of it just creates a feeling of un-ease which doesn't do much for peace of mind for their patients.

Anyway, i'm glad to know you're operation is soon, and i'm sure once it's over your road to recovery will become a lot smoother. Keep you chin up Unicorn, we're rooting for you!

Mooze :)

crimsontide

« Reply #448 on: April 12, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »

I wouldn't trust any of these Drs with their own nails. It's just a cost savings measure

What are the odds of being a great surgeon and a highly skilled  engineer of surgical nails? Each one considered separately is remote, but the intersection  has to be close to {}

snowcloud

• Visitor
« Reply #449 on: April 12, 2017, 08:05:55 AM »

Hi UNICORN, be strong, we all will support you. By the way, you mention you lose the lenthen in you right leg, is that true, I think maybe you want to say your left leg

helloworld

« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2017, 08:16:18 AM »

Your story is heartbreaking. Seems like you were at the top of the world and now it could seem like you are at the bottom!
But on the other hand you are still a Harvard graduate, an international person with a broad horizon, smart, a former investment banker, still speak 7 languages, and are probably wealthier than 90% of world population! So please see the great person you still are and the great life you can still have ahead of you.

Do not be ashamed of the decision you have taken. In fact, be proud. You did not accept the status quo and were daring enough go ahead. In fact, I was taking to another patient about it and we realized that most patients we have met are far from being losers and instead are highly intelligent, successful and entrepreneurial.
1,80 -> 185
185 wingspan
surgery Nov/Dec 2016, stopped lengthening April 2017
Dr. Monegal patient

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:43 AM »

Its not crap at all, it support full weigh barring and a great recovery. The problem here is why Guichet delayed the surgery that much, it suppose to be done long time ago. Precice technically better organized but take much longer to walk normally because its not supporting full weight barring. We feel sorry for this Unicorn, Can someone write whats exactly going wrong with her beside delayed surgery, i want to understand her case.

Hi Kaiser,

To state it dryly :

1)  Eggshell fracture happened during drilling at initial surgery

2)  2 weeks later, that surface fracture actually cracked even though there was no fall or accidents.  Guichet initially thought the severe pain was fast consolidation and had me take Naproxen to slow down healing and increase my click rate.  That made everything worse because I couldn't find any clicks and was in severe pain over 4 days

3)  I had lengthened to 3.2cm at the point, and that length was completely lost as the nails weren't holding my bone anymore at the bottom - so my bones crushed back together

4)  Had a second surgery on September 1st where Guichet re-nailed the pins on a lower site closer to my knees and with larger older pins

5)  I had to wait for all the fractures including the previous femur osteotomy to fully heal and consolidate before recommencing the lengthening process again

6)  By end January, X-rays showed that all the fractures have fully healed and surgery can begin

7)  Guichet cancels Feb 1st surgery last minute

8  Guichet reschedules 3rd surgery for April 18th in Milan

9)  The new procedure is to remove the nail, break my femur and put back the nail, that way I can start lengthening

10) This time, he wants to lengthen over 4 months on my left leg vs 2 months on my right leg which might have been too fast and caused the non-union

11)  Because the nail was lengthened to 3.2cm, the most it can lengthen now is 6.8cm.  So I will always have a height disparity of at least 7mm.  Guichet says that if I wanted a new nail for my left leg that has the 10cm settings, it will cost me a lot

12)  In the meantime, my right leg finished lengthening at 7.2cm but it won't fuse.  And it continues to click by accident even up to yesterday evening

13)  During next week's surgery, Guichet will extract marrow from my hip and inject it onto the ends of my bones, hopefully to stimulate growth and fusion.  He will also injure the ends a bit to create inflammation and healing

Hope this is clear.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:36:16 AM by Unicorn888 »

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »

Hi UNICORN, be strong, we all will support you. By the way, you mention you lose the lenthen in you right leg, is that true, I think maybe you want to say your left leg

Hi SnowCloud,

I lost the 3.2cm lengthened height on my LEFT leg when the fracture happened.

The fear that even Guichet warned me, is to be ultra careful with the RIGHT leg because if I fracture that leg, I will lose the 7.2cm lengthened height because there're no bones formed in that lengthened gap. 

I've had several near slips when my crutches slipped on dry ice on the pavement.

My understanding is the lengthening nail is not great for holding support after lengthening.  It should be switched to a regular non-lengthening nail to prevent potential fractures.  But that's another whole surgery and I don't even want to think about it.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »

Your story is heartbreaking. Seems like you were at the top of the world and now it could seem like you are at the bottom!
But on the other hand you are still a Harvard graduate, an international person with a broad horizon, smart, a former investment banker, still speak 7 languages, and are probably wealthier than 90% of world population! So please see the great person you still are and the great life you can still have ahead of you.

Do not be ashamed of the decision you have taken. In fact, be proud. You did not accept the status quo and were daring enough go ahead. In fact, I was taking to another patient about it and we realised that most patients we have met are far from being losers and instead are highly intelligent, successful and entrepreneurial.

Thank you HelloWorld.  I drew the same conclusion from LL-ers I've met.  Most people are successful, courageous, open minded, interesting and goal achievers.

The frustration I've had to face is how people draw a general bias of my physical failure to every other aspect in my life.  Suddenly, every decision I've had to make are called into question too just because I'm struggling to walk.  I even got into a fight with my brother because he blamed me for being cheated by my general contractor, my plumber and my cabinetry guy.  He claims that "in my condition, I'm probably not thinking right".

If I was showing physical perfection, he would have probably chalked it up to having bad luck or even being a single girl dealing with tradesmen.

So perhaps there has always been a natural prejudice against people who cannot perform basic tasks like walking or feeding themselves, that they are also mentally less capable.

What really frustrates me is, when did I suddenly become such an imbecile?  I cannot forgive myself for being cheated by Guichet, by my plumber, by my cabinetry man - it's all monetary but it is also what is plainly quantifiable.  And each time I think about it, I feel a deep desire to punish myself.  And this is where the dark self hatred rears its ugly head.

You won't notice it until you realise people are treating you like a drooling 5-year old.  And while they probably care about you, they also no longer hold you in the same esteem, trust and respect, as when you were physically capable.

So my latest conclusion is, when one is physically incapable, people around you cannot help but draw the same conclusion about your mental capability as well.

I once accompanied a tycoon who was almost blind on a business trip (he had a congenital eye disease that in different lighting would give him the eyesight of a fly or sometimes total darkness) - and of course, I was very attentive to his disability but half the time I tried reaching out to guide or hold his elbows, he'll retaliate violently and lash out at me.

I cowered in fear every time I had to see him for a meeting.  Now I understand him, he's not lashing out at me, he's just frustrated, resentful and ANGRY with himself for being so helpless and vulnerable.  He didn't want to be the subject of pity by all of us lesser beings.  And yet, we cannot help but pity him in spite of everything he has.

The Kaiser

« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2017, 11:00:13 AM »

Hi Kaiser,

To state it dryly :

1)  Eggshell fracture happened during drilling at initial surgery

2)  2 weeks later, that surface fracture actually cracked even though there was no fall or accidents.  Guichet initially thought the severe pain was fast consolidation and had me take Naproxen to slow down healing and increase my click rate.  That made everything worse because I couldn't find any clicks and was in severe pain over 4 days

3)  I had lengthened to 3.2cm at the point, and that length was completely lost as the nails weren't holding my bone anymore at the bottom - so my bones crushed back together

4)  Had a second surgery on September 1st where Guichet re-nailed the pins on a lower site closer to my knees and with larger older pins

5)  I had to wait for all the fractures including the previous femur osteotomy to fully heal and consolidate before recommencing the lengthening process again

6)  By end January, X-rays showed that all the fractures have fully healed and surgery can begin

7)  Guichet cancels Feb 1st surgery last minute

8  Guichet reschedules 3rd surgery for April 18th in Milan

9)  The new procedure is to remove the nail, break my femur and put back the nail, that way I can start lengthening

10) This time, he wants to lengthen over 4 months on my left leg vs 2 months on my right leg which might have been too fast and caused the non-union

11)  Because the nail was lengthened to 3.2cm, the most it can lengthen now is 6.8cm.  So I will always have a height disparity of at least 7mm.  Guichet says that if I wanted a new nail for my left leg that has the 10cm settings, it will cost me a lot

12)  In the meantime, my right leg finished lengthening at 7.2cm but it won't fuse.  And it continues to click by accident even up to yesterday evening

13)  During next week's surgery, Guichet will extract marrow from my hip and inject it onto the ends of my bones, hopefully to stimulate growth and fusion.  He will also injure the ends a bit to create inflammation and healing

Hope this is clear.

Hey Unicorn thanks for the details, I hope the 18th April surgery will change everything and put smile on your face. Also i hope Dr Guichet will not delayed it again. I want to ask you Two Question,

Do you think Dr Guichet is a capable doctor and his nails is a strong and good nail?

Does other patients have a better outcome, but you were unlucky with the outcome? is it Guichet's fault when the fracture happened?

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »

Hey Unicorn thanks for the details, I hope the 18th April surgery will change everything and put smile on your face. Also i hope Dr Guichet will not delayed it again. I want to ask you Two Question,

Do you think Dr Guichet is a capable doctor and his nails is a strong and good nail?

Does other patients have a better outcome, but you were unlucky with the outcome? is it Guichet's fault when the fracture happened?

1)  Is Guichet capable?
I think he is a brilliant surgeon and probably one of the best qualified out there technically speaking.  However, you have to be very careful as he is also very disorganized, oversells his ability and is over confident.  Always be weary of any doc who shows you miraculous success stories.  Ask them about their WORST cases.  Try to find out who they've swept under the rug.  Don't be naive, thinking that bad things will never happen to you.  You want to go in fully informed and prepared for every eventuality.

2)  I think his nails are strong.  But they're painful because you've to go through the physical and unnatural act of breaking your already broken legs 10-21 times a day, 3x a day for 2+ months.  The trauma is beyond physical pain, it's mental anguish as well.  For weeks after my lengthening ended on my right leg, I continued to wake up in cold sweat during my click schedule.  I do think from reading other diaries that perhaps fitbone or precise is more supportable.  But with the Guichet nail, it's like stick shift vs automatic.  You can control every aspect of it whereas I understand the automatic ones sometimes stop functioning involuntarily or do not start at all.

The jury is out on this one but my right leg looks like there's valgus.  It's curved outwards.  When I asked Guichet, he said it's because I'm currently limping with a 7cm disparity, hence, it appears like valgus.  I hope that's not the case because it looks bad right now.  I look like one of those insects you crush but didn't die?  And has broken legs sticking out at weird angles?  That's me!

3)  As you can read from the forum, they're other patients who emerged successfully.  I was in contact with 8 patients who lengthened at the same time.  They ranged from 1 teenager, and folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s.  Their lengthening ranged from 3.5cm to 7.5cm.  The teenager did exceptionally well and took no time to recover.  The older ones suffered more pain and quit earlier.  I was the only one with a fracture at surgery.  So yes, bad luck for me.

4)  Can you blame the surgeon if he causes a fracture when drilling?  I don't know, maybe lawyers can answer this question.  I think Guichet's fault might not lie in his technical abilities but his over confidence.  My date was switched to replace someone else and he didn't have my data with him.  He was severely delayed going into surgery and was frazzled.  He even called me the wrong name and had the wrong birth date on my chart (imagine, I had to correct him while being strapped to the operating table).  I think all these elements do play into the outcome of the surgery, as lightly and funny as I thought it was at the time.  It's actually no laughing matter.  He became more careful with the person whom I replaced, and gave her a double osteotomy because her femur was curved as well.  So I was the first guinea pig and suffered for it - as they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

My advise would be, if the circumstances leading to your surgery is as chaotic and stressful as mine were, you have the right to call a stop to everything.  Don't be naive like me, leaping on a prayer and hoping for a miracle.

Also, be vigilant with your follow up.  Don't expect your doctor to look out for your best interests at all times.  We were all very disappointed that he never had our results.  His computer was always down, had IT issues, server issues etc.  At any time, he never knew our achieved height nor even fusion rate.  He is supposed to monitor closely, but I only realise this too late.  He let me lengthen very quickly and ONLY in November (this is 2 months after I finished lengthening) does he show me my xray and exclaims, you've a fusion problem!  This was when I realized how scary and precarious it has all been, and that I had entrusted my LIFE to someone I had met only thrice.

It's like naive people who think that their private bankers are spending every waking hour making money for their investments.  Well honey, your investment banker is in St Tropez partying with models the moment your cheque cleared.

The Kaiser

« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »

1)  Is Guichet capable?
I think he is a brilliant surgeon and probably one of the best qualified out there technically speaking.  However, you have to be very careful as he is also very disorganized, oversells his ability and is over confident.  Always be weary of any doc who shows you miraculous success stories.  Ask them about their WORST cases.  Try to find out who they've swept under the rug.  Don't be naive, thinking that bad things will never happen to you.  You want to go in fully informed and prepared for every eventuality.

2)  I think his nails are strong.  But they're painful because you've to go through the physical and unnatural act of breaking your already broken legs 10-21 times a day, 3x a day for 2+ months.  The trauma is beyond physical pain, it's mental anguish as well.  For weeks after my lengthening ended on my right leg, I continued to wake up in cold sweat during my click schedule.  I do think from reading other diaries that perhaps fitbone or precise is more supportable.  But with the Guichet nail, it's like stick shift vs automatic.  You can control every aspect of it whereas I understand the automatic ones sometimes stop functioning involuntarily or do not start at all.

The jury is out on this one but my right leg looks like there's valgus.  It's curved outwards.  When I asked Guichet, he said it's because I'm currently limping with a 7cm disparity, hence, it appears like valgus.  I hope that's not the case because it looks bad right now.  I look like one of those insects you crush but didn't die?  And has broken legs sticking out at weird angles?  That's me!

3)  As you can read from the forum, they're other patients who emerged successfully.  I was in contact with 8 patients who lengthened at the same time.  They ranged from 1 teenager, and folks in their 20s, 30s and 40s.  Their lengthening ranged from 3.5cm to 7.5cm.  The teenager did exceptionally well and took no time to recover.  The older ones suffered more pain and quit earlier.  I was the only one with a fracture at surgery.  So yes, bad luck for me.

4)  Can you blame the surgeon if he causes a fracture when drilling?  I don't know, maybe lawyers can answer this question.  I think Guichet's fault might not lie in his technical abilities but his over confidence.  My date was switched to replace someone else and he didn't have my data with him.  He was severely delayed going into surgery and was frazzled.  He even called me the wrong name and had the wrong birth date on my chart (imagine, I had to correct him while being strapped to the operating table).  I think all these elements do play into the outcome of the surgery, as lightly and funny as I thought it was at the time.  It's actually no laughing matter.  He became more careful with the person whom I replaced, and gave her a double osteotomy because her femur was curved as well.  So I was the first guinea pig and suffered for it - as they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

My advise would be, if the circumstances leading to your surgery is as chaotic and stressful as mine were, you have the right to call a stop to everything.  Don't be naive like me, leaping on a prayer and hoping for a miracle.

Also, be vigilant with your follow up.  Don't expect your doctor to look out for your best interests at all times.  We were all very disappointed that he never had our results.  His computer was always down, had IT issues, server issues etc.  At any time, he never knew our achieved height nor even fusion rate.  He is supposed to monitor closely, but I only realise this too late.  He let me lengthen very quickly and ONLY in November (this is 2 months after I finished lengthening) does he show me my xray and exclaims, you've a fusion problem!  This was when I realized how scary and precarious it has all been, and that I had entrusted my LIFE to someone I had met only thrice.

It's like naive people who think that their private bankers are spending every waking hour making money for their investments.  Well honey, your investment banker is in St Tropez partying with models the moment your cheque cleared.

I saw many people said age matter with the surgery and give a better outcome which i don't believe. Teenagers and 20s should be the same at least there is no difference. As a patient do you think age really matter?!

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2017, 06:38:46 PM »

I saw many people said age matter with the surgery and give a better outcome which i don't believe. Teenagers and 20s should be the same at least there is no difference. As a patient do you think age really matter?!

In my experience, yes age matters a lot.  The younger the less pain and the faster you recover.  Also, gender matters, girls have less painful lengthening but have fusion problems.  Guys have more pain lengthening because they're less flexible, but they consolidate faster, sometimes, too fast which makes the lengthening even more painful.

Iamready

« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »

The younger people absolutely breeze through this operation in comparison to the older folks.  Age matters a lot.  As does flexibility.

Penguinn

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »

Can confirm younger people have easier LLs. Mine was almost painless, so was Morrisette's and Asian123's, both under the age of 20 like me.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation Unicorn, but you're still all those positive qualities you listed about yourself pre-LL. I hope you stop the self hatred and pull through. Easier said than done, I know, but regardless.

YellowSpike

« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »

Unicorn, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Even though I did my (mostly successful) LL with Dr. Guichet, I can't imagine what you're going through. I can relate in many ways, though. I agree with your general assessment of Dr. Guichet... he is brilliant and a great surgeon, but very disorganized, overconfident and somewhat arrogant at times. He definitely does not have a bedside manner, that's for damn sure. And the fact that he works in two different countries makes it even harder to deal with him. I would say if Precise ever comes out with a weightbearing rod, then it'll be a no-brainer to go to Dr. Rozbruch or Dr. Paley over him.

Hang in there Unicorn. You will get through this. I know you probably can't imagine that right now, but you will get through this.

cole slaws

• 5'4 to 5'9; ex girl.
« Reply #461 on: April 14, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »

Can confirm younger people have easier LLs. Mine was almost painless, so was Morrisette's and Asian123's, both under the age of 20 like me.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation Unicorn, but you're still all those positive qualities you listed about yourself pre-LL. I hope you stop the self hatred and pull through. Easier said than done, I know, but regardless.

Do you think early 20s and teens will do pretty good? Aiming for external tibia when Im 20/21.
Apollo Justice is my spirit animal.

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »

Unicorn, I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Even though I did my (mostly successful) LL with Dr. Guichet, I can't imagine what you're going through. I can relate in many ways, though. I agree with your general assessment of Dr. Guichet... he is brilliant and a great surgeon, but very disorganized, overconfident and somewhat arrogant at times. He definitely does not have a bedside manner, that's for damn sure. And the fact that he works in two different countries makes it even harder to deal with him. I would say if Precise ever comes out with a weightbearing rod, then it'll be a no-brainer to go to Dr. Rozbruch or Dr. Paley over him.

Hang in there Unicorn. You will get through this. I know you probably can't imagine that right now, but you will get through this.

Thanks Yellowspike, it means a lot to hear from you :)   I'm surviving these days, trying to get past this surgery firstly and then to figure out how to fuse.  This might drag on for years if I don't fuse.  And I might end up having to change the nails to a non-lengthening one and shorten the lengthening gap if things get worse, if I don't fracture what's already lengthened first.

That said, thanks also for putting some perspective on what I've gone through and my opinion of the doctor.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm going mad because I'm soooooo angry and irritable all the time.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't get support from my doctor, I feel like I'm just a vulnerable prey to be picked on financially.

Anyway, here's to looking forward and hopefully, being able to put this past me... slowly.

Happy Easter to all!

Unicorn888 by Elaine Foo

« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »

Do you think early 20s and teens will do pretty good? Aiming for external tibia when Im 20/21.

Hi there,

As I mentioned before and by other LLers as well, the younger, chances are it'll be easier and more painless.  I cannot say much about tibia lengthening nor external nails as I don't have any experience and do not know anyone who has done it personally.

Take care!

Penguinn

« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »

That said, thanks also for putting some perspective on what I've gone through and my opinion of the doctor.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm going mad because I'm soooooo angry and irritable all the time.  I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I don't get support from my doctor, I feel like I'm just a vulnerable prey to be picked on financially.

I haven't walked unaided in nearly 7 months(my surgery) and despite everything going well, just the fact that I'm late has made me irritable. I can't even imagine what you're going through, it's 100% normal for you to be pissed off all the time. That also means it's a temporary phase and you'll calm down eventually when things go right.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44   Go Up