Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Romantic Height Preferences in Men and Women  (Read 8271 times)

FrankGarrett

• Yew collect callin' son of a bitch, yew.
Romantic Height Preferences in Men and Women
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »

I found this on Google and though it would be an interesting contribution to the forum. Hopefully, I'm posting it in the right category.

http://research.similarminds.com/romantic-height-preferences-in-men-and-women/227

"I did a survey exploring height preference in men and women for the opposite sex.  The stereotype is that women prefer tall men or at least taller men, and that men prefer shorter women (relative to their height).  The results confirm that pattern, with men showing slightly more flexibility than women in their preferred height range.   Interestingly, I found some truncation in the height range preference as women get older.  The mean remained the same in older women but the high and low end height range were curtailed.   With men there was a less clear pattern which showed an increase in the high end of the preferred height range with age.

Sample Info
-------------------------------------------------------
age range 18-65
# of men 1249
# of women 1458
average height of women in sample 5ft 4.9in
average height of men in the sample 5ft 10.3in
--------------------------------------------------------

Question that was asked:

What height range do you find most attractive in the opposite sex?

Users were able to select a low end and high end, with a range of 4ft to 7ft 6in, iterated in inches (metric equivalents were included).

Height Preferences

Men and Women

• the average mean height preference difference of all men was 1.64in shorter, the overall ideal range was 4.93in shorter to 1.65in taller
  • the average mean height preference difference of all women was 7.94in taller, the overall ideal range was 5.3in taller to 10.4in taller

Short women

• avg height 5ft 1.6in
  • prefer a range of 5ft 7in to 6ft 1in
  • mean preference of the group 5ft 10in

Average height women

• avg height 5ft 5in
  • prefer a range of 5ft 9in to 6ft 2in
  • mean preference of the group 5ft 11.5in

Tall women

• avg height 5ft 8.5in
  • prefer a height range of  5ft 10in to 6ft 4in
  • mean preference of the group 6ft 2in

Women overall

• 5ft 10in to 6ft 1in was in the ideal range of all women, on average
  • all three groups of women have a range in their ideal of five to six inches, on average
  • the shorter the woman, the taller the start of her ideal range is, in relative comparison to average and tall women

Short men

• avg height 5ft 6.6in
  • prefer a range of 5ft 2in to 5ft 8in
  • mean preference of the group 5ft 5in

Average height men

• avg height   5ft 10in
  • prefer a range of  5ft 3in to 5ft 9.5in
  • mean preference of the group 5ft 6.25in

Tall men

• avg height 6ft 1.66in
  • prefer a range of  5ft 4in to 5ft 11in
  • mean preference of the group 5ft 7.5in

Men overall

• 5ft 4in to 5ft 8in is in the ideal range of all men, on average.
  • all three groups of men have a range in their ideal of five to six inches, on average (same as women).
  • only the short male sample, on average, had taller women in there ideal range, the tallest end of the ideal range for average and tall men is below each group's average height.

Summation

If you adjust for the height difference of men and women (men are @5in taller), men have an almost identical opposite direction height preference.  Adjusting for the height difference of men and women, women would still prefer men .3 to 5.4 inches taller than them (the unadjusted preference range is 5.3 to 10.4 inches taller).  Men prefer women 4.93in shorter to 1.65in taller than them.  Thus, men have approximately a one inch larger acceptable range, on average. That one inch is on the taller end of the preferred range.  So men, are more likely to self report as being attracted to slightly taller girls, whereas women do not share that accommodation in the opposite direction.  The female range preference ends at slightly above their gender adjusted height.  From an evolutionary standpoint this all makes sense.  Preference selection should be mirrored in the sexes and any flexibility is more likely to show up in males since women exert greater selection power than men, on average.

These are anonymous self reported results but they match up very well with previous research on this topic.   In a study by Gillis and Avis (1980) only 2 couples out of 720 consisted of a pair in which the man was shorter than the woman.   In a study by Hensley (1994) women most preferred a man who was 72 inches (6ft) tall.    In a study by Cameron (1978), 100 percent of the women advertised the desire to date a man who was 4 inches taller than themselves.

*Short, Average, Tall groups were determined by separating the samples into gender specific height groups of as close to 1/3 of the entire gender sample number as possible.
**3.28-3.30 version of test"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:21:04 PM by FrankGarrett »

Smallguy

Re: Romantic Height Preferences in Men and Women
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 08:57:26 PM »

Women, like men, seek the best mate they can get. Their preference might varies from one to another but they won't settle for less if they know they can go for someone better.

That's why I find that the best way to attract female is to focus on improving yourself first. If you're of high status (looks, car, appearance, manner, & leadership), female would be naturally attracted to you. I find that's more enjoyable than spending your time and money to flatter someone to liking you.

Having said this, I have minimal success in the dating arena.
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

thetallerman

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:52 PM »

Women overall

• 5ft 10in to 6ft 1in was in the ideal range of all women, on average

Very fascinating, 3 solid inches, and I'm 5'10, which is the beginning of that range. :)
Current Height: 5'7 (~170cm)
Desired Height: 5'9.5 or 5'10
Wingspan: 179.7cm / 5'10.75

Average US Male Height: 176.5 / 5'9.5 (CDC report)

mrtall

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:40:33 PM »

well I'm screwed.
HEIGHT REDUCTION CANDIDATE

Current: 201 cm (6'7)

Goal: 192 cm (6'3.5)

ReadRothbard

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »

I'd kill to be your height lol
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Ajax2thousand20

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:33:44 AM »

Don't agree. 6'2" is definitely considered a desirable height. Don't know how this was conducted but would say 6'0-6'4" is closer to ideal.
Starting height: 185.5cms Goal/ dream height:190-193cms!
Sitting height:94 cms Arm Length: 86.5 cms 
Leg length:104 cms Arm Span:191 cms
Tibia: 48 cms Femurs:55cms

GROWtalORdieTRYING1

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:09:20 AM »

if there were 2 guys 6"1 and 6"2.

height would not be taken into account. their personalities would be the deciding factor.

(assuming everything else was equal) (in other words the extra height was of no use) and as you get even taller more and more girls in the population will be turned off by your height whilst you get an even smaller percentage of the population (girls of taller height) who become slightly more attracted to you.

so basically it is useless because the percentage of total girls that become attracted to you is made smaller.

ReadRothbard

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »

Perhaps, but I'd still love it. I'm not necessarily doing ll for women. I mean, that is part of it, but not my biggest reason.
“If you're afraid - don't do it, - if you're doing it - don't be afraid!” ― Genghis Khan

172 cm in the morning (67.8"); 170 cm (67”) at night; Sitting Height: 96 cm (37.8”); Goal: 184.5 cm (6'0.7"); Ultimate Goal: 192 cm (6’3.5) morning height, 190 cm (6’3) “night” height
Future space tycoon

Ajax2thousand20

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »

well I'm screwed.

Nah your not. Especially if you like asian girls, they love 6'3" + white men!
Starting height: 185.5cms Goal/ dream height:190-193cms!
Sitting height:94 cms Arm Length: 86.5 cms 
Leg length:104 cms Arm Span:191 cms
Tibia: 48 cms Femurs:55cms
Pages: [1]   Go Up