Limb Lengthening Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External or internal tibia lengthening  (Read 3458 times)

hype88

External or internal tibia lengthening
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:24:45 AM »

Hi everybody! I'm looking into doing LL in the coming months. I'm thinking of lengthening my tibias by 5-6cm. I'm not sure wether to do internals or externals and can anyone recommend my doctor for such an operation? Look forward to hearing from everybody :)

aspirant185

Re: External or internal tibia lengthening
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:37:00 AM »

The general consensus is that if you decide to lengthen your tibias you should do externals and if you want to lengthen your femurs, then internals. Femurs allow for more lengthening - usually doctors say that 7-8 cm is considered safe for femural lengthening, although based on personal preferences and expectations, you might not like your final proportions. Tibias on the other hand  are considered riskier because the  bone is smaller to begin with. Thus, doctors do not recommend that 6 cm be exceeded, although people have reported unproblematic lengthening up to 8 cm.

As for a doctor, it depends on your budget. The doctors in the US and Western Europe are considered to be the most experienced and trustworthy. People generally agree that doctors in Eastern Europe (mainly Russia, Ukraine, Serbia) are next ''tier'' so to say. Dr. Franz from South Africa is highly regarded and also preferred option for people with limited funds. Some doctors from South Korea offer relatively affordable internal options in a country with high medical and ethical standards. Finally, people with the least amount of funds they are ready to spend go to India. Results are experiences are mixed. General consensus is that you should avoid Dr. Sarin at all costs and that Dr. Parihar is really really good, although prise-wise he is really expensive for Indian standards.

I hope I summerized it well. Good luck  !
Current afternoon height: 175.5 cm
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

hype88

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:06:45 PM »

Hey aspirant185,

Thank you for your well detailed advice! I've always thought tibias would be a better option for proportion wise. I'm 173cm and doing 6cm would make me 179cm which is almost 5'11. I think that's a pretty decent height, I don't expect to be tall but adverage height would great! I thought about doing both segments but I thought it would cost too much and the recovery would be long. Do you think doing 6cm tibias would make me look out of proportion? I agree I think ideally I'd love to have it done in America or western Europe. How much would you expect to pay with this type of procedure? And what's the recovery time?

hype88

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »

You've got me thinking now...South Africa or South Korea what would be the better choice? I haven't heard much from either country to make up my conclusion.

aspirant185

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 02:04:07 PM »

Dr. Franz from South Africa offeres the Precice II devise at the most competitive price , around 40 000$ and he operates at a brand new facility However, that investment makes sense if you do femurs. In my opinion 6 cm on tibias is somewhat too much. With that being said, many people lengthen up to 8 without issues but I would not exceed 5 cm on tibia. About South Korea I dont know a lot...but the doctors have excellent reputation. Their prices are similar to the European and American ones though and even a small discount in my opinion is not sufficient to justify language and cultural barriers over there.
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm
Considering doing 4.3 cm Femurs and 4.2 cm Tibias with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia.

hype88

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 02:23:15 PM »

That's for internal tibias hey? Exactly man, I think I'd rather do 5cm, with everybody saying it's a much safer option. Yes I agree weighing up the language barrier etc is probably not worth the discount. What are your plan's? I see your already at a decent height so that's definitely a great advantage!

Knik

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 02:35:29 PM »

Good luck
Looking for Pili

aspirant185

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 02:45:03 PM »

That's for internal tibias hey? Exactly man, I think I'd rather do 5cm, with everybody saying it's a much safer option. Yes I agree weighing up the language barrier etc is probably not worth the discount. What are your plan's? I see your already at a decent height so that's definitely a great advantage!

I am going to have the surgery with Dr. Milorad Mitkovic in Serbia. External Tibias are only 9 000 euro, low costs of living, staff and doc speak english, and I havent come across of a bad review/experience about the doc. I also exchanged a few emails and he seems nice and caring. He has created his own device which means he is really knowledgeable and genuinely interested in the matter..besides he operates just 1 hour driving from my home town )
Wingspan - 182 cm
Target height 184 cm

hype88

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:14 PM »

Nice, what type of method will you ve using? That's definitely handy only living that far away. Do you plan on staying in Serbia while you lengthening or will your return home?
Pages: [1]   Go Up